1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Girl of Steel~!

Discussion in 'Older Gen RMT' started by lisalynn, Jun 20, 2012.

1. lisalynn

lisalynn Active Member

Hello all~ I posted here when I very first got into competitive battling and was given some suggestions, so I did a little studying and pretty much revamped this entire team. It's centered around steel types, a few tricksies, and a little stalling (because ohmylawd I love to stall~). A lot of the EVs are pretty much right off Smogon but I did make some significant changes to movesets and some of the EVs to better suit my style.

The first three are also my Battle Subway SS team, so please also rate them as an independent team.

Edits based on suggestions in red!

[​IMG]
    Forretress (Drake) @ Leftovers
    Relaxed ~ Sturdy
    252 HP - 176 Def - 80 SpD
    + Toxic Spikes
    + Power Trick
    + Payback
    + Revenge

After setting up with Toxic Spikes, Drake takes advantage of his killer defense with Power Trick. Basically a suicide lead, he's meant to take down what he can and do some solid damage to the opposing team. On the SS I rarely set up TS and dive right in with Power Trick.

[​IMG]
    Jellicent (Queenie) @ Leftovers
    Calm ~ Water Absorb
    252 HP - 36 Def - 220 SpD
    + Scald
    + Ice Beam
    + Shadow Ball
    + Will-O-Wisp

Queenie is the protector of my steelies on the SS. She effectively switches in on the only two types steel is weak to, water and fighting. Scald and Shadow Ball get great STAB, Ice Beam is to take care of any dragons on the Subway, and Will-O-Wisp takes care of any opposing steel types.

[​IMG]
    Bronzong (Sasha) @ Leftovers
    Sassy ~ Levitate
    252 HP - 84 Atk - 80 Def - 92 SpD
    + Stealth Rock
    + Earthquake
    + Gyro Ball
    + Psychic

Bronzong is honestly pretty standard. Sets up a good Stealth Rock, great coverage with Equake and STAB Gyro Ball, plus a little STAB Psychic in there just for fun.

[​IMG]
    Gliscor (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
    Impish ~ Poison Heal
    252 HP - 104 Def - 72 Spe
    + Swords Dance
    + Facade
    + Protect
    + Earthquake

eheheheh this is my favorite kind of stall. Toxic Orb + Poison Heal + Protect? Go ahead and sip on your haterade, we care not! Swords Dance makes that attack go up up up which, along with that Toxic Orb, really turns Facade deadly. As suggested, I have replaced Toxic with Equake for more effective coverage.

[​IMG]
    Lucario (Switch) @ Life Orb
    Inner Focus ~ Modest
    4 HP - 252 SpA - 252 Spe
    + Nasty Plot
    + Aura Sphere
    + Shadow Ball
    + Flash Cannon

Switch is rolling with the Nasty Plot and going SpA. Taking advantage of those STAB moves in Aura Sphere and Flash Cannon, plus the chance of lowering SpD. Shadow Ball is great on its own, though no STAB, but that additional decrease in SpD will come in nice and handy.

[​IMG]
    Blissey (Juvia) @ Leftovers
    Bold ~ Natural Cure
    252 HP - 252 Def - 4 SpD
    + Wish
    + Softboiled
    + Thunderbolt
    + Toxic / Charm?

Another good stallwall, totally capable of wrecking someone's day before getting off a Wish. I needed a strong electric move so I went with Thunderbolt. Softboiled because STAAAAAAALL. As mentioned, I have no way of phazing and am thinking of replacing Toxic with Charm to force a switch. I would like opinions on this because it doesn't appear to be a very common tactic.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  2. Psycho Cut

Psycho Cut Well-Known Member

Ok, here are my comments:

Forretress: Ok, this set is a nice idea, but it'll almost never work. Reason: Forretress is going to outspeed next to nothing. So opponent uses Attack, Activates sturdy or does 50%+, Forretress uses Power Trick, Opponent KOs Forretress. True, it has surprise factor and may work on the switch (which is something that never happens in the BS), but there's little hope for it. I'd stick with a Standard Set

Jellicent: Recover > Ice Beam: recovery is good.

Bronzong: Ok

Gliscor: Earthquake > Toxic or even Terrakion won't have much trouble with it, most notable SubSD Variants.

Lucario: Um, Lucario's Fight/Steel, not Fight/Dark, so Dark Pulse will not get STAB. Drop it for Hidden Power Ice for increased coverage. I personally prefer Phsyical Lucario (SD | Bullet Punch | Espeed | Close Combat) but whatever works for you is fine.

Blissey: Good

All in all, your team has quite a large weakness to fighting and SubSD or LO Terrakion can destroy this team once Gliscor's down. I would replace Blissey with CM Latias, who also acts as a very useful Phazer.

3. lisalynn

lisalynn Active Member

For Drake: The first three are my SS team (trying to break some records!). I ignore TS altogether when I'm on the Subway, going straight into Power Trick, which usually lets me take out one or two pkmn. His IVs are highest in defense so getting hit before the Power Trick isn't nearly as damaging as it could be, unless the opposing trainer starts with fire, in which case I'm totally screwed, but that's life! In OU, Drake is literally there to get off two layers of TS then Revenge if he can, but you're right that he's pretty much useless barring that.

Queenie is also part of the Subway team and my only effective dragon slayer. At least for now, I'd rather sacrifice recovery for coverage on the Subway. I'm assuming eventually my streak will end and I'll have to make changes to advance further. She IS pretty much my team's only defense against Fighting types though, I may need to look into additional coverage.

I could definitely switch Equake for Toxic on Gliscor, I was just filling an empty slot. It would provide better coverage and take care of Terrakoin, like you mention.

Ahaha, that's correct, it was very early in the morning when I posted this. I'm REALLY bad at figuring out the whole IV thing so it just seemed easier to use Dark Pulse instead of trying for HP Ice. I'd go for it if I had a clearer understanding of it, maybe a little more research would help. I think I'll replace it with Flash Cannon to get the Steel STAB and chance to lower opponent's SpD for now, until I figure out that HP thing. I wanted HP Ice on Bronzong at first but I totally gave up because I just couldn't figure it out.

As for Latias, it is my personal challenge to not use any pkmn that can be considered legendary regardless of their acceptance into the tier. I just like making things difficult for myself! :p But you're right, I totally don't have a Phazer. I could run Charm on Blissey to force a switch? I'll make changes in red in my OP.

4. AlexandriaTheMixed

AlexandriaTheMixed You A Stupid Hoe.

Before I fully examine your team, is this for ingame or competitive?

5. lisalynn

lisalynn Active Member

I guess both kind of! I just added to my Subway trio to make a full team. Like I said, very new to competitive, I still haven't technically tried this team out against an actual player on the wifi, so I'm expecting you experienced folks to have some useful advice.

6. AlexandriaTheMixed

You should try downloading Pokemon Online. It's just like wifi except on your computer. So it's much quicker. You can also use moves that you can't as easily get ingame. Like Hidden Power Ice or Fire.

7. Klaus™

Klaus™ Banned

^^^ or pokemonshowdown. dont have to download, and same people from smogon server. friendlier too.

8. ShowMeTheMankey

ShowMeTheMankey mckayla face

HI ! :) So basically, I'm going to start rating teams on here due to people being annoyed with my post count (ehem, Alex)

So yeah, if you plan on playing competitively against other people then here is my input:

Forretress: you might want to strongly consider rapid spin over power swap as it doesn't really have the pace or coverage to sweep imo. And if power swap is removed then you may want to remove payback for another layer of entry hazards (spikes, seeing as your bronzong already sets up stealth rocks) and also removing revenge for either gyro ball or volt switch. Gyro ball is a great stab move for forretress and can reach 180 base power OR volt switch can provide you with switching priority and can allow you to run from magnezone.

Jellicent: Your jellicent looks alright :D But if I were to make changes I'd remove shadow ball and replace it with recover which can let you stall out opponents with either toxic from the spikes or the burn from scald/will-o-wisp. Oh, and you may want to consider 44 speed evs as it will allow you to outspeed certain pokemon (I forgot who :|).

Bronzong: Looks fine, although hidden power ice may be preferred over psychic :) Allows you to kill dragons and gliscor seeing as it can wall both if used correctly

Gliscor: Looks good to me

Lucario: I'd recommend vaccum wave over flash cannon as priority is always nice, especially after a +2 modest Luc. Ouch.

Blissey: I'd say seismic toss over thunderbolt as it provides consistent 100hp damage. Also the charm/toxic debate. A phazer isn't always needed and toxic in general can force switches unless it's vs a steel type or a poke with substitute.

Well, there's my opinions and I'm not sure how easy this is to read, so yeah, sorry about that.

Edit: Also, I know nothing of battle subway :( And if you've read this far, well done

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  9. Klaus™

Klaus™ Banned

going off what mankey said, on forry, i like to use gyro ball and shed shell. allows me to escape magnezone, and neat coverage. if any ground type switches in on forry, you are walled, and mag outspeeds anyway. theoretically, rocks would be up and sturdy wont activate, but even if not, you switch out and switch into rocks :/ go gyro ball + shed shell.

10. ShowMeTheMankey

sub charge beam magnezone is becoming more common

11. Klaus™

Klaus™ Banned

really? ive always used trappermag. even still, you can switch out into any ground-type, and force the switch, granting more hazard damage.

12. ShowMeTheMankey

charge beam magnezone runs tbolt/hp ice/sub/charge beam. But let's not get into that

13. AlexandriaTheMixed

The 44 Spd Evs on Jelli allow it to out run 252 / 252 / 4 Skarmory. I'm not 100% sure but I'm 99%. ;)

Also, I do recommend Recover > Shadow Ball. And Toxic > Will-o-Wisp on Jellicent.

And then on Blissey > Wish / Siesmic Toss / Heal Bell / Protect or Toxic.

14. Yellow De Viridian Grove

Yellow De Viridian Grove Well-Known Member

84 outruns Skarm. 44 outspeeds Scizor.

Steel is not weak to water. They are weak to Fire, Fighting, and Ground.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  15. AlexandriaTheMixed

Ah. I knew it was a steel type from gen 2. :)

Who said they were?

16. Yellow De Viridian Grove

Yellow De Viridian Grove Well-Known Member

The original poster did...

17. AlexandriaTheMixed

Oh wait whut? How did I not catch this..

Oh. @Lisa. The reason I recommended Toxic > Willo is because Scald already burns. It says 30% but trust me it's about 80% on the hax rate.

18. ShowMeTheMankey

True, but sometimes you only get one shot at that Terrakion which just wrecks things

Edit: If anyone is confused about typing ~ http://www.smogon.com/bw/types/ ~

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012