• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Goddamn Comics Thread - Redux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
The Goddamn Comics Thread - Collectible Cover #1 of 2

Old thread died. Anyway, discuss the latest comics you've read, upcoming books, and adaptations(i.e. The Dark Knight and Watchmen).

Caught up with Justice Society of America this morning. Normally I despise Alex Ross' art but his latest JSA covers have been pretty damn good. Also: Anybody know who that was inside the cave at the end of issue #13? I'M SO CONFUSED.

Read The Spirit #12, too. It's a damn shame to see Cooke finally leaving the series, but at least he finished with a good issue. Here's hoping the next writers can keep up the quality.

Also: Character shots from the Watchmen film. The Comedian looks spot on, to say the least., Ozymandias seems to be infected with Bat-nipple Syndrome, Rorschach is a badass, Silk Specter is hawt, and Nite Owl is a fatty. All seem pretty accurate to me, except for Ozy of course.

Last edited:

daveshan

My little friend
Last series I read was X-Men: Age of Apocalypse. It actually inspired me to write a book that I'm working on.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
I need to read more comics.

The Adventures of Luther Arkwright
Alice in Sunderland
The Arrival
Bone
Calvin and Hobbes
The Contract with God Trilogy: Life on Dropsie Avenue
Flight
Ghost World
Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron
Locas
Lost at Sea
Notes for a War Story
Percy Gloom
Pussey!
Sloth
The Tales of One Bad Rat

AND MOTHER-****ING CEREBUS*

should occupy your wallet and free time for a while.

*At least through and including Jaka's Story. Haven't bought the Mothers & Daughters arc yet, where Sim's sexism develops and takes hold.

I'm currently reading:

Teen Titans
Teen Titans Go!
Ultimate Spider-Man
Ultimate X-Men

I'd like to read older ones but I'd prefer them in order from the beginning and there's no way to get them. Right now I just want Teen Titans: Titans East. Damn Borders hasn't had it since it came out. >: ( And my dad owes me a copy of the Ororo comic. I want it so badly. I'd also like to find out if there was more to the Beast Boy miniseries that was in TT vol 3.

latios reborn

Still reading and collecting the Ultimate Spider-man TPB's, finally found the first 2 with 3 and 4 on the way with 12,13 and 14.

Even though so far not too fond of it I am still reading Brand new day also.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Don't have anything that I'm keeping up with right now -- other than Scott Pilgrim and Flight, both having irregular release schedules -- but I am pumped for more Billy Hazelnuts and Frank (you go Jim Woodring).

Check those out, too, Franky. And everyone else reading this post.

Pink_Floyd

Abyssus Abyssum Invo
I try to steer clear of issue-by-issue story arcs, going for the complete "graphic novels" and "yarns".. The last comic yarn that I read was an old X-Men one, back during the 90s when oversized kneepads and shoulder pads were "kewl". I forget the name, but it was when Omega Red was resurrected, and it held some of the most memorable panels, especially when he fought Wolverine in the snow..

I've been looking to get into some of the Sin City yarns as well, any recommendations?

Don't have anything that I'm keeping up with right now -- other than Scott Pilgrim and Flight, both having irregular release schedules -- but I am pumped for more Billy Hazelnuts and Frank (you go Jim Woodring).

Check those out, too, Franky. And everyone else reading this post.

Alice in Sunderland
The Arrival
Bone
Calvin and Hobbes
Flight
Ghost World
Locas
Lost at Sea
Notes for a War Story
Percy Gloom
Pussey!
Sloth
The Tales of One Bad Rat

*At least through and including Jaka's Story. Haven't bought the Mothers & Daughters arc yet, where Sim's sexism develops and takes hold.

Well, I've already read Bone, Cerebus and C&H.

The rest is probably too much for my tiny brain to handle, as I'm sure there's existential psychobabble in many of them.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Alice in Sunderland
The Arrival
Bone
Calvin and Hobbes
Flight
Ghost World
Locas
Lost at Sea
Notes for a War Story
Percy Gloom
Pussey!
Sloth
The Tales of One Bad Rat

*adds thes to list of **** to look into* *except Calvin and Hobbes*

I read and re-read Calvin and Hobbes religiously. It's just that... amazing. What's sad is, I used to be that kid. It's almost scary. Almost.

SO AM I SPECIAL YET?

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
SO AM I SPECIAL YET?

[SYNDROME]NO. NO ONE IS SPECIAL BECAUSE WE ARE ALL SPECIAL[/SYNDROME]

Read Marvels today. I think I know why I don't read Marvel comics now. The entire universe is pretty much composed of complete dicks.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
Calvin and Hobbes
Greatest newspaper strip ever published. Hell, one of the only good ones ever published.

This one was brought to my attention throuh my interest in TMNT (the only comic I collect and follow, Cerebus guest-starred in an early issue). It seems interesting, but something about pretension and overt misogyny makes me think I'll pass.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
The rest is probably too much for my tiny brain to handle, as I'm sure there's existential psychobabble in many of them.

Uh, absolutely not.

Luther Arkwright is dense as hell, but if you've read Cerebus, From Hell, and Watchmen, there's no reason you couldn't read Talbot's (Tale of One Bad Rat, Alice in Sunderland) extraordinary craftsmanship.

The rest are very, very accessible. Check them out, man.

SO AM I SPECIAL YET?

ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Greatest newspaper strip ever published. Hell, one of the only good ones ever published.

And Watterson ended it when he knew he could no longer continue it. Gotta admire that.

This one was brought to my attention throuh my interest in TMNT (the only comic I collect and follow, Cerebus guest-starred in an early issue). It seems interesting, but something about pretension and overt misogyny makes me think I'll pass.

Nit-pick: it's sexism, not misogyny. It's not so much of a hatred for woman as it is a condescending and really warped view of them (which is arguably worse).

Dude, don't pass up until volume five, at the very least. Doing so will be denying yourself some of, if not the best example of comics in ANY language. They're completely devoid of that nonsense, and the Sim's sexist views don't pop up until the essays in volume nine. And volume ten is supposed to be one of, if not the best book in the series. (And also where the story more or less concludes, with the remaining 100 issues being a slow and excessive lurch to the end.)

High Society through Jaka's Story are required reading for anyone who loves good storytelling. Period.

Uh, absolutely not.

Luther Arkwright is dense as hell, but if you've read Cerebus, From Hell, and Watchmen, there's no reason you couldn't read Talbot's (Tale of One Bad Rat, Alice in Sunderland) extraordinary craftsmanship.

The rest are very, very accessible. Check them out, man.

When I get some money. Which will be never.

Josiah

is your favorite
And Watterson ended it when he knew he could no longer continue it. Gotta admire that.
He had way more dignity than what's-his-bucket that makes Garfield. That comic makes me gag.

Status
Not open for further replies.