• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~The Golden Summit!~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
TGS Tournament - CHANGE

Yes we have a change. In order to speed things up just a little bit, instead of trying to find the time to face Volteon to determine whether he gets the bye to the finals or not, I am going to have him face Shiny Venusaur since Milotic111 had the better score when facing him therefore Milotic111 shall get the bye to the finals.

I know Shiny Venusaur has AIM and I think he also has MSN Messenger, and Volteon I know has MSN Messenger, so the 2 of you should communicate on trying to get this match done to determine whom faces Milotic111 in the finals.

milotic111

<-- Solves any case!
D/P battle tower

When I get around to the tower (still completing dex and radar shiny hunting) I was going to use a tyranitar w/ Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Crunch and Taunt.

But as I have never used a taunter in any of my teams before, let alone the DP Tower, which I have no experience in can someone experienced in using taunters please tell me what pokemon (if any) should I immediately use taunt on in the DP battle tower.

DUSCLOPS!!!!!!!That thing is so freaking annoying. It knows protect/toxic/double-team and confuse ray. I have to stall it out of pp with heal-bell blissey to get past it.

But the idea for taunt is good. I was planning to breed something with shadowpunch (rotom uses double-team as well). Stupid that I didn't taught about taunt >_>

Yeah I am in the finals. I wonder what shiny-venusaurs scory was against EE. I won 1-0 with 50 hp to spare >_>. Yeah for gastrodon mirrorcoating dracometeor. See? It doesn't suck.

Kalosian

So long
Misc \ Nothing of intrest

Just looked at the first page, and i think the new image is cool. But to Absol 20/20, you can add a ;233; next to my name since i've got nb now (and got it for a quite long time, but forgot to tell you ;))

On my games, i'm training\compleating Pokedexes, so i won't return to the Tower until i need some more BP.

And good luck to everyone in the Tourneys :)

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
D/P wifi tourny

Yeah I am in the finals. I wonder what shiny-venusaurs scory was against EE. I won 1-0 with 50 hp to spare >_>. Yeah for gastrodon mirrorcoating dracometeor. See? It doesn't suck.

nice i got dominated, i made a bad play and DDdos just destroyed me V_v. but im glad it did cause i saw a weekness in my team ^_^, i lost 0-5.... >__>

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
TGS Tournament

One other form of communication to get these matches over with is that of #spp-wifi chat room, so please use it when in doubt.

For those curious whom was in my party, here they were:

Lucario, modest, Inner Focus @ black belt
252 sp.atk/speed, 6 Defense
- Vacuum Wave
- aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power (Ice)

Weavile, jolly, Pressure @ expert belt
40 HP, 252 attack, 216 speed
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch
- Night Slash
- Brick Break

Salamence, modest, Intimidate @ Choice Specs
252 sp.atk/speed, 6 HP
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor

Gengar, modest, levitate @ life orb
252 sp.atk/speed, 6 HP
- Hypnosis
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Gyarados, adamant, intimidate @ lum berry
72 HP, 252 attack, 186 speed
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

Electivire, adamant, motor drive @ muscle band
252 attack/speed, 6 HP
- ThunderPunch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Cross Chop

I usually start with weavile or lucario and let gyarados power up and sweep on unsuspecting teams or switch to electivire when anticipating an electric attack. I prefer DDmence over SpecMence actually but wanted to give this overrated pokemon a try since I needed a strong special attacker with intimidate. Nothing's perfect as there's always a counter for something.

Last edited:

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
tourny

One other form of communication to get these matches over with is that of #spp-wifi chat room, so please use it when in doubt.

For those curious whom was in my party, here they were:

Lucario, modest, Inner Focus @ black belt
252 sp.atk/speed, 6 Defense
- Vacuum Wave
- aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power (Ice)

Weavile, jolly, Pressure @ expert belt
40 HP, 252 attack, 216 speed
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch
- Night Slash
- Brick Break

Salamence, modest, Intimidate @ Choice Specs
252 sp.atk/speed, 6 HP
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor

Gengar, modest, levitate @ life orb
252 sp.atk/speed, 6 HP
- Hypnosis
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Gyarados, adamant, intimidate @ lum berry
72 HP, 252 attack, 186 speed
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

Electivire, adamant, motor drive @ muscle band
252 attack/speed, 6 HP
- ThunderPunch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Cross Chop

I usually start with weavile or lucario and let gyarados power up and sweep on unsuspecting teams or switch to electivire when anticipating an electric attack. I prefer DDmence over SpecMence actually but wanted to give this overrated pokemon a try since I needed a strong special attacker with intimidate. Nothing's perfect as there's always a counter for something.

>_> wow if it wasnt for the DDdos i might have actually had a good chance. i should have attacked while you were setting up cause mine was faster >_>;; i run 252/252/6[speed/attack/hp]

milotic111

<-- Solves any case!
kingdra

Nothing's perfect as there's always a counter for something.

Pun intended?

I recently have bred a decent (well it's special defence really sucks but the rest is nice) kingdra. I am running this set:

Kingdra@ damprock/petayaberry/whiteherb/widelens
modest
Personnal EV spread but it comes down to max attack and rest between hp and defences.
swift-swim
Hydropump
icebeam
Dracometeor
raindance.

Yes I am running hydropump. Because after rain and stab it's power is way more than that of surf. But I have trouble selecting the right item.

Damprock: It gives me extra turns of speed and hydropump boost.
Petaya berry: kingdra can take 2 hits. The first is for setting up the first raindance, followed by sweeping. And the second is for another raindance and it will usually result in having petaya activated for even more damage (50% to blissey when activated).

White herb: The only time I will be using dracometeor is against opposing watertypes. Now dracometeor doesn't always OHKO them. So whiteherb negates the sp.att drop and allows me to use hydropump (when the opponent is damaged enough) or DM again, and then switch.

Wide-lens: Obvious, I am using a 80 accuracy move. But with petaya berry I can afford the occasional miss for the boost.

But what item do you guys think is the best for kingdra?

Icosahedron

レミオロメン♪
If your team is going to be based on rain, and Kingdra is your main dancer, then I say go with Damp Rock. It nearly eliminates the need to Rain Dance again, and it certainly would support your team.

If the rain is present primarily just for Kingdra, then I'd go with Petaya Berry.

I think the White Herb is too situational, but that's just me. If you find that stuff like Vaporeon and Lapras are walling you, then by all means use it. BTW Empoleon does a pretty good job of walling you already, but really can't do anything to you either.

Wide Lens, meh. If you are missing a lot, use it. I have several Pokemon with Toxic [85 accuracy], and it never seems to miss... then again, you can count on hax to screw up your life that way. I still say Damp Rock (or Petaya Berry) is the way to go.

milotic111

<-- Solves any case!
kingdra

If your team is going to be based on rain, and Kingdra is your main dancer, then I say go with Damp Rock. It nearly eliminates the need to Rain Dance again, and it certainly would support your team.

If the rain is present primarily just for Kingdra, then I'd go with Petaya Berry.

I think the White Herb is too situational, but that's just me. If you find that stuff like Vaporeon and Lapras are walling you, then by all means use it. BTW Empoleon does a pretty good job of walling you already, but really can't do anything to you either.

Wide Lens, meh. If you are missing a lot, use it. I have several Pokemon with Toxic [85 accuracy], and it never seems to miss... then again, you can count on hax to screw up your life that way. I still say Damp Rock (or Petaya Berry) is the way to go.

The rain is only for kingdra. And you are right empoleon walls kingdra, but I have other means of getting rid of him. And I think I will go with petaya, and see if there are too many vaporeons and lapras.

Shiny Crobat

Haha, good EE. Just put breloom on your team and you're done xD. Well, too bad you lost 0-5.

BTW, use Dusknoir, not clops.

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
Misc.

Any status with the TGS Tournament regarding Volteon vs. Shiny Venusaur?

Anyways besides TGS being the only place on sppf these days I'm posting at, I'm still soft-resetting for the TRU Manaphy as the best I've seen so far, but not what I want, is the following:

Manaphy - #490 (Bold)
HP: 18 - 19
Att: 6 - 7
Def: 10 - 11
SpA: 31
SpD: 28 - 29
Speed: 28 - 29

I'd rather it have modest or timid and better IVs.

Icosahedron

レミオロメン♪
Regarding the TRU Manaphy, I foolishly accepted mine without soft resetting at all. I won't say I got lucky, but I certainly wasn't unlucky as one of them (I got two) was Modest with flawless Speed. The other also has flawless Speed, but is Naughty. =< Of course, the fact that I never battle ubers means that all this won't matter, but still it's disappointing.

In other news, I've just finished breeding Aerodactyl. My first had IV's of 24/28/30/2/30/31 but was Brave. :( I'll probably use that for breeding later though.

Question: should I rebreed for Pursuit? I know that it can be deadly when used at the right times on Choice item users (like Heracross, Metagross, etc), but is it really worth it? I do have a female Aerodactyl with flawless Attack and Speed, so it's a possibility. Otherwise I'll probably just run:

Aerodactyl (F) @ Choice Scarf
EV's: 252 Atk // 252 Spd // 6 HP
IV's: 24/31/1/30/21/31
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)
Trait: Pressure
~ Stone Edge
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Fang
~ Aerial Ace / Fire Fang

Kinda torn on the last slot since Fire Fang helps with Bronzong, and Aerial Ace with Heracross/Gallade. Would Crunch be a good idea? I'm thinking about using this guy in the Battle Tower.

Last edited:

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
Aerodactyl

That aerodactyl looks pretty good though I'm not familiar with pursuit on aerodactyl, so long as it does not expect to get any hits. My son uses a jolly choice bander with similar moveset though uses rockslide instead of stone edge and aerial ace for accuracy and STAB. One problem which were trying to find a counter for is that of a choice band weavile with ice shard which easily OHKOs the likes of aerodactyl & garchomp.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
so far no luck with me or Volteon, i was busy all of Friday, Saturday and now today with Homework and Comfermation classes.

milotic111

<-- Solves any case!
Octillery

After trying a while with solrock and relicanth, I saw that although it can pay off bigtime, it doesn't always go that way. So I thought up of a new combo:

Ambipom @ focussash
Nature jolly/adamant
technician
EV's 252 att/speed 6 hp
Batonpass
Nastyplot
Agility
Double-hit

Very simple, nastyplot/agility on a lickely switch (because of fake-out fear) survive the next one with focussash and if skarmory shows up batonpass to:

Octilery @ leftovers/expertbelt/wiseglasses
Nature: timid
Suctioncups
EV's 252 sp.att/speed 6 hp
Surf
Icebeam
Energyball
Chargebeam/????

Roar/whirlwind will be useless, and almost nobody uses haze. 414 speed and 606 sp.att after the passes make this very dangerous. Chargebeam is there for an (extra) boost if I can't pass any Nastyplots and for gyrados/skarmory.

My main questions are:
1. What item to use on octillery?

Leftovers negates sandstorm/stealth rocks damage, but with low defences won't provide too much healing

Expertbelt will give a nice boost to supereffective attacks, wich I beleive are quite a few

Wise glasses will give a not so nice boost to all of octilerys attacks.

2. What nature for ambipom?

Jolly will get it the agility to pass faster, but is a waste afterwards.

Adamant gives a little more oumph to double-hit, wich will be handy against some sub users.

3. Is there an attack better to use over charcebeam, and if so, wich one?

Volteon

Back I guess??
I could enter online this Saturday, got some things from GTS, but didn't find Shiny Venusaur.

And milotic...

1- I'd give it Expert Belt or Lum Berry. Lum Berry will help you against Milotics using Hypnosis and stuff like that. Expert Belt is always a nice item to have when the user has a lot of diferent moves.

2- if you're using Ambipom when opponent is switching, I think it's understandable you use Agility on the switch, then use Nasty Plot, doing this you can use Adamant nature. If opponent doesn't switch and attack you, I'm sure a Speed Boost is more useful for Octilery than a S.atk boost since it can hurt some things, unlike with the S.atk boost, then many stuff will outspeed and KO it.

3- I thought Gunk Shot would be a nice surprise for Special walls, but then I saw that it does less than Surf would. Charge Beam is already a good move you can keep it. just beware Electivires.

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
wifi

My son mentioned something about connecting to a USB port to get wifi but did not quite understand it. So far as getting on with the TGS tournament with Shiny Venusaur, I recommend having the following ready:

1. a wifi hotspot perhaps in the same location where GTS worked should suffice.

2. a cell phone to communicate with someone local that has internet access with AIM or MSN messenger in order to communicate with Shiny Venusaur. That way if there are any problems that it can be communicated through a middleman without so much 2nd guessing.

I know this can be a hassle but that was how I was able to conduct a trade with someone that did not have immediate wifi access before and it worked.

Now as far as the idea of baton passing to a suction-cup octillery, that sounds like a good strategy that would not get pseudo-hazed. Good luck with that.

Shiny Crobat

After trying a while with solrock and relicanth, I saw that although it can pay off bigtime, it doesn't always go that way. So I thought up of a new combo:

Ambipom @ focussash
Nature jolly/adamant
technician
EV's 252 att/speed 6 hp
Batonpass
Nastyplot
Agility
Double-hit

Very simple, nastyplot/agility on a lickely switch (because of fake-out fear) survive the next one with focussash and if skarmory shows up batonpass to:

Octilery @ leftovers/expertbelt/wiseglasses
Nature: timid
Suctioncups
EV's 252 sp.att/speed 6 hp
Surf
Icebeam
Energyball
Chargebeam/????

Roar/whirlwind will be useless, and almost nobody uses haze. 414 speed and 606 sp.att after the passes make this very dangerous. Chargebeam is there for an (extra) boost if I can't pass any Nastyplots and for gyrados/skarmory.

My main questions are:
1. What item to use on octillery?

Leftovers negates sandstorm/stealth rocks damage, but with low defences won't provide too much healing

Expertbelt will give a nice boost to supereffective attacks, wich I beleive are quite a few

Wise glasses will give a not so nice boost to all of octilerys attacks.

2. What nature for ambipom?

Jolly will get it the agility to pass faster, but is a waste afterwards.

Adamant gives a little more oumph to double-hit, wich will be handy against some sub users.

3. Is there an attack better to use over charcebeam, and if so, wich one?
Do you really think a skarm will show up? Skarm can't do anything to the standard ambipom. You just u-turn out of there to anything that kills it.

Use swift for ambipom, it's really recommended. Timid nature.

For octillery, hmmm dunno. I think a pass to Lucario or something will be much more efficient if your team has problems with Skarm and Bliss. Especially Skarm. If you stick with octillery go for expert belt.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
My son mentioned something about connecting to a USB port to get wifi but did not quite understand it. So far as getting on with the TGS tournament with Shiny Venusaur, I recommend having the following ready:

1. a wifi hotspot perhaps in the same location where GTS worked should suffice.

2. a cell phone to communicate with someone local that has internet access with AIM or MSN messenger in order to communicate with Shiny Venusaur. That way if there are any problems that it can be communicated through a middleman without so much 2nd guessing.

I know this can be a hassle but that was how I was able to conduct a trade with someone that did not have immediate wifi access before and it worked.

Now as far as the idea of baton passing to a suction-cup octillery, that sounds like a good strategy that would not get pseudo-hazed. Good luck with that.

i use the USB thing and it works great, but yeah thats a good idea to have someone with AIM/MSN be in contact with me while your at the hotspot

milotic111

<-- Solves any case!
Octillery

Do you really think a skarm will show up? Skarm can't do anything to the standard ambipom. You just u-turn out of there to anything that kills it.

Use swift for ambipom, it's really recommended. Timid nature.

For octillery, hmmm dunno. I think a pass to Lucario or something will be much more efficient if your team has problems with Skarm and Bliss. Especially Skarm. If you stick with octillery go for expert belt.

I do not have any problems with skarm or bliss, unless I use batonpass, then skarmory will show up and roar me away. And a switch to skarmory isn't that bad idea if they see me using agility on a ambipom (probably meaning I will pass), it will either use roar on the receipent or take the u-turn, rendering my stat-ups useless. Thus if I would have passed to lucario, I get roared out. Passing to octillery compensates for that problem due to suctioncups.

But, of course, passing to a special attacker will get me walled by blissey. But in that case I can switch to scizor on the thunderwave (quick-attack set doesn't mind the paralyzes), use swordsdance on the switch (or if they are stupid on the S-toss), and gor for quick-attack or rocksmash if they stay in. Rocksmash is for the defencedrop against skarmory. The fighting move is only for blissey and the occasional snorlax, in wich case snorlax doesn't like defence drops, and it helps against skarm. A little loss in BP doesn't outweigh the benefits from the defencedrop.

Furthermore, I can always go back to the old way wich is only nullified by brelom. Against others I still have a chance at the least.
And brelom is used less then blissey.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.