• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Graphic designer club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arceusvictini

Taking over Serebii
Thank you zhanton. Taking fan art from deviantArt of furraffinity or whatever pisses me off. You are stealing someone else's hard work and bastardizing it into a 400x150 square. Some people say its fair use because its not for profit, but it really isnt fair to the artist. you should have at least asked for permission.
You know, you missed the third one. From a spanish website, a Haxorus sig. I told DM123 to stop but he didn't listen. He deserves some strikes.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
DragonMaster, regarding your banner, I'm not too sure if you've just stolen artwork and plopped text on it, or you've placed a nice render on a nice background and worked with it, but something seems a bit off. The quality is a bit low and it's quite blurry, as if you've taken it from a wallpaper and resized it (no, I'm not accusing you of anything.) EDIT: Actually, I just did a google search and saw that image as a wallpaper on Tuooneo's dA account. http://tuooneo.deviantart.com/art/Kyurem-196830781 I'm willing to wager that Tuooneo is not you, not because you are a boy whereas Tuooneo is a girl, or because you're 15 and Tuooneo's 19, but because your writing styles are polar opposites. Please don't steal art, it's a terrible, terrible thing to do, especially when you steal art and then pass it off as your own, which you have now done not once but twice in that group following the beautiful Hydreigon banner that you stole. Imagine you spent hours upon hours writing a brilliant story, or manufacturing a car, or building a house, or drawing something, and then somebody came along, ruined it by slapping some text which clashes majorly with it and said, "Hey guys, this is mine, grade it!" It's just a terrible thing to do, and honestly if stealing art is your thing, you really shouldn't be in the group. Sorry, I know I'm really in no position of authority and shouldn't take things into my own hands, but I just couldn't help it.

Truthfully, I've had plenty of work stolen, from art, to fan fictions, and so on, and I honestly just shrug it off. I made that stuff for fun, not for popularity or for money. Case in point, if you don't want someone else using it, don't put it on the Internet. People ask me to throw images from DeviantArt in when they request from my shop, and I'm quite sure not all of them (if any of them) asked for permission first, but there's no way and I don't have the time to verify it each and every time it happens, although I do put a disclaimer that I'm not responsible for any consequences that person receives if they get caught and accused by the original artist. I NEVER claim I drew any of the pictures in my banners, unless I actually really did and get specifically asked. Besides, if the only reason people got into art was just to be praised and not out of passion, that's a real waste. A real artist that makes artwork wouldn't care if someone else used it for some other purpose, because they made it for their own enjoyment and not to please others. If you're only doing it for attention and for fanboys, that's just sad.

Another thing is, if this is true, then we shouldn't be putting any Pokemon pictures in our artwork, not from the anime, not from Ken Sugimori, not from the games, not from the cards, not the sprites, NOTHING. That's all copyrighted stuff, thank you very much. We didn't make those sprites either, we certainly didn't draw the pictures from the anime, and we're definitely not Ken Sugimori. And if you went by that dictation, you'd kill at least 98% of the art shops that exist on this site in an instant and you would have the perfect justification for no one to ever use avatars ever again. The only reason why I don't do my own character art myself all the time is it comes out really kind of cartoony. For some reason, I can't do "professional" shading in Photoshop because my magic wand tool ends up crashing it for some stupid reason. That, and I find line art to be really tedious and migraine-inducing. But if I absolutely had to, I could. I would have to kill off my shop, however, and I'm sure Mew_ would have to kill off hers as well, along with many of the other shops that rely on "official art" in order to fulfill requests. There's no way we could draw all the Pokemon people request to see in their banners each and every time, AND make the banners themselves. If I had to do that, I would probably only be able to make one banner a day, at most, and it would be a pretty grueling amount of work, if it isn't already.

Now, the thing with DragonMaster is he really didn't do very much with the image itself besides slap a few words on it, barely legible at that. If he asked for a grade, yeah, I'd have to give him an "F." Anyone can do that with their eyes closed. I think the better question to ask here is, should people be able to use another people's images as long as they're drastically modified and they're not the only image or effect being used, or should it be absolutely forbidden to ever use anyone else's art ever? And if the later case is true, then we're all in deep trouble.

That is the question I think we need to consider, and what's allowable and what's not.

arceusvictini

Taking over Serebii
Truthfully, I've had plenty of work stolen, from art, to fan fictions, and so on, and I honestly just shrug it off. I made that stuff for fun, not for popularity or for money. Case in point, if you don't want someone else using it, don't put it on the Internet. People ask me to throw images from DeviantArt in when they request from my shop, and I'm quite sure not all of them (if any of them) asked for permission first, but there's no way and I don't have the time to verify it each and every time it happens, although I do put a disclaimer that I'm not responsible for any consequences that person receives if they get caught and accused by the original artist. I NEVER claim I drew any of the pictures in my banners, unless I actually really did and get specifically asked. Besides, if the only reason people got into art was just to be praised and not out of passion, that's a real waste. A real artist that makes artwork wouldn't care if someone else used it for some other purpose, because they made it for their own enjoyment and not to please others. If you're only doing it for attention and for fanboys, that's just sad.

Another thing is, if this is true, then we shouldn't be putting any Pokemon pictures in our artwork, not from the anime, not from Ken Sugimori, not from the games, not from the cards, not the sprites, NOTHING. That's all copyrighted stuff, thank you very much. We didn't make those sprites either, we certainly didn't draw the pictures from the anime, and we're definitely not Ken Sugimori. And if you went by that dictation, you'd kill at least 98% of the art shops that exist on this site in an instant and you would have the perfect justification for no one to ever use avatars ever again. The only reason why I don't do my own character art myself all the time is it comes out really kind of cartoony. For some reason, I can't do "professional" shading in Photoshop because my magic wand tool ends up crashing it for some stupid reason. That, and I find line art to be really tedious and migraine-inducing. But if I absolutely had to, I could. I would have to kill off my shop, however, and I'm sure Mew_ would have to kill off hers as well, along with many of the other shops that rely on "official art" in order to fulfill requests. There's no way we could draw all the Pokemon people request to see in their banners each and every time, AND make the banners themselves. If I had to do that, I would probably only be able to make one banner a day, at most, and it would be a pretty grueling amount of work, if it isn't already.

Now, the thing with DragonMaster is he really didn't do very much with the image itself besides slap a few words on it, barely legible at that. If he asked for a grade, yeah, I'd have to give him an "F." Anyone can do that with their eyes closed. I think the better question to ask here is, should people be able to use another people's images as long as they're drastically modified and they're not the only image or effect being used, or should it be absolutely forbidden to ever use anyone else's art ever? And if the later case is true, then we're all in deep trouble.

That is the question I think we need to consider, and what's allowable and what's not.

The thing is sometimes dAers do different things. For example, all my deviations are non-watermarked free download. That means it's fine for people to use it, without permission or anything. However, some other people prefer their art to be for personal enjoyment, so they watermark it and prevent download. That you've got no choice but to ask permission. But some people ask for a fav b4 a download, and so on. I'm sure Nintendo's fine with us using them, as long as we don't sell them. Only for personal enjoyment. Nothing else. And that's what fanart shops are based on: free art for people's personal enjoyment! Helll, some people ask for credit and some don't!\

I hope that answers your question, Neo.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
The thing is sometimes dAers do different things. For example, all my deviations are non-watermarked free download. That means it's fine for people to use it, without permission or anything. However, some other people prefer their art to be for personal enjoyment, so they watermark it and prevent download. That you've got no choice but to ask permission. But some people ask for a fav b4 a download, and so on. I'm sure Nintendo's fine with us using them, as long as we don't sell them. Only for personal enjoyment. Nothing else. And that's what fanart shops are based on: free art for people's personal enjoyment! Helll, some people ask for credit and some don't!\

I hope that answers your question, Neo.

Well, I guess that makes sense and is reasonable. Before, the whole thing seemed pretty much a gray line in terms of what can be used, and what can't. Before, I never used anything that was on DeviantArt.

arceusvictini

Taking over Serebii
Well, I guess that makes sense and is reasonable. Before, the whole thing seemed pretty much a gray line in terms of what can be used, and what can't. Before, I never used anything that was on DeviantArt.

If people ask for things using dA stuff, one thing to do is read whether the artist wants it used or not. It may save you a lot of trouble in the future. For example, this is a fav before you download font. This is a free for everyone with credit deviation (you may notice it's one of mine) And this is a watermarked no download.

Kelz

More saving. More doing.™
Here's mu opinion on art credit:

-Since we're not using the art to make a profit, I think any official artwork, whether it's a sprite or an anime screenshot, for Pokemon is perdectly fine for use. First, everybody can tell if it's official art, so there's no need for credit.
-As far as DeviantART, or even sites like Photobucket for that matter, can be tricky. It depends on how the artist posted the art. If it has a watermark, I don't use it. If I can't download it, I don't use it. If the artists says I can't use it, too bad I don't use it. Now if the art is something I really want to use, I will ask the artist. But if the artist does not say anything as to if it can be used or not, allows downloading and there is no watermark, that's fair game to me. The artist didn't do anything to protect their art or keep it from being used, so I assume it's fine. But that does not mean I claim it as mine. For the most part, I give credit too. And if I where to ever be contacted by the artist saying I can't use it, I would take it off my profile, sig, etc. Sometimes, I've even had to research a specific piece of art so I can give the correct art. So I guess it depends on who made the art, and how it was posted.

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Thats the bad thing about Art..

It can be stolen or copied,
but there are ways to prevent stealing images
(Adding watermarks for example) so if the creator did not thought of this
its just his own fault seeing others useing his piece of art on their own art (Customized)

So.. does that make you an bad person useing other's Art?
The answer is No, but you'll never be an true artist that way.

Besides, using certain renders is not illegal.
I mean come on, in almost every signature there has been used atleast one stock Render

~Light

The contest ends 30/10, so everyone has 2 more days to finish their banners if they want to enter :)

After that I'll post a link here to where you can vote

millarc3005

Born a legend!
Guys, for me to hand over the club to DarkEmerl we have to restart the thread. Do you guys agree with restarting it? The first post will stay.

arceusvictini

Taking over Serebii
Restarting's fine, but I'd prefer you to stay. Oh and please reset the strikes. Bad thing is I might not get to do the banner, b/c I'm on holiday. I installed pshop in this laptop but I don't get much time on it at all.

Damn you FAQ 306.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Guys, for me to hand over the club to DarkEmerl we have to restart the thread. Do you guys agree with restarting it? The first post will stay.

I think we pretty much need to. The first post definitely needs to be updated on a continuous basis.

Hopefully things get easier for you, millarc.

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Restarting's fine, but I'd prefer you to stay. Oh and please reset the strikes. Bad thing is I might not get to do the banner, b/c I'm on holiday. I installed pshop in this laptop but I don't get much time on it at all.

Damn you FAQ 306.

Its best to ignore that faq,
i mean come on as long as we dont make money with it its fine.
Besides you would really not be the only one who doesnt follow the faq.

This is just serebii, we do this for fun
(Most of us)

Apologies for not entering the contest, did not had time to make an Banner
i am looking forward to see the send-in results though.
Good luck to all the candidates who participate in it

Last edited:
Like my friend up there, I had no time to be making a signature either. After all my whining, it makes me feel bad... kinda. Sorry Mew_. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.