• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Grass Route! (180)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Exactly. Having some CotD kid defeat Ash and Bulbasaur with a basic Skiploom was trashy writing...

Yea but I'm guessing that despite how strong Ash was at this point, him losing was mostly meant to teach him a lesson about his overconfidence even at the cost of Bulbasaur's loss.

My favorite scene: Ash losing. I like Ash as much as anyone does, but his arrogance needed to be put to an end so his loss here did him good.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
It was nice to see Chikorita and Bulbasaur battling. I also liked seeing James actually use his Victreebel in a battle other than against Ash and co. and it was nice to see the Sunflora costume make its return even if it didn't last long. :p

Leonhart

Imagineer
Minoru challenging Satoshi to a battle straightaway was a nice surprise, because normally it's Satoshi who challenges people. I was awed when Chikoriita injured Minoru's Popocco, although at the tournament we saw Minoru get revenge by defeating Satoshi's Fushigidane. I liked that Kojirou competed in it, too.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
If he was gonna lose no matter what, he should've just used Bayleef instead since her battle record sucked anyway...

Well I guess if someone had to be the 'fall guy' then Chikorita could've worked too since she was also a grass type, but I think we needed to see Ash's strongest grass type lose to drive home the point about Ash's ego. :[

Vipsoccermaster

A fine Grass-type filler. Ash was being a little too cocky and had some overconfidence, that led him to lose the tournament in the end. But that helped him learn that he shouldn't be overconfident. Still, good to see Bulbasaur getting experience. Chikorita was only in the practice round, I wished we saw more of her. Team Rocket were funny as usual here, though James was rooting with his Victreebel, though it didn't help him win over Skiploom and Ephraim. A plus for Ephraim to beat Ash, since Ash is almost always winning every time. Ash needed a loss every once in a while.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ash was being a little too cocky and had some overconfidence, that led him to lose the tournament in the end.

It was so strange seeing Satoshi act that way since he didn't have anything to be smug about. His cockiness seemed sudden and forced, although I understand why the plot needed him to be so out-of-character.

DatsRight

It was so strange seeing Satoshi act that way since he didn't have anything to be smug about. His cockiness seemed sudden and forced, although I understand why the plot needed him to be so out-of-character.

This was the OS. It was in character for Ash to act over the top arrogant as his key vice, compared to later series where he's just too innocently dizzy and overexcited to think things through sometimes.

Meowthflora vs Bulbasaur was a key moment in this episode. What was weirder? Meowth actually dominating Bulbasaur until his disguise was exposed, or Meowth using a rather accurate version of Fake Out pre-Hoenn? (I miss when TR used to be sneaky in battle instead of spamming attacks).

Leonhart

Imagineer
Nyasu versus Fushigidane was amusing, and I'd even go as far as to say that I would've preferred watching Nyasu defeat Fushigidane than watch Popocco do that by the end of the episode.

I didn't like how suddenly Ash's ego had gotten so overblown when he wasn't acting like that in previous episodes leading up to this one. Maybe I would've been more angry when he lost to that kid's Skiploom at the end if he hadn't been so out of character and arrogant here. I feel like Bulbasaur should have had the upper hand in that battle but that he lost due to plot demands.

Evading Ban
This episode was so good because of the grass Pokemon tournament that Ash, Ephraim, and James entered. James using a fake name like Mr. Semaj was funny but then his Victreebel lost to Skippy which was sad. Jessie using Meowth in his Sunflora disguise was also a memorable scene and it's a shame that they were exposed so quickly. I thought that Ash losing to Ephraim and Skippy was needed since Ash's attitude was becoming unbearable. 8/10

Skippy! Skiploom is so cute! I love him!!!!!
The return of the Wobba-burger and Meowth-Sunflora.
I called it but I'm kind of mad that Ash lost because Bulbasaur should have been much stronger than that. I know that Skiploom trained but it felt wrong for Skippy to beat Bulbasaur but to lose to Chikorita. The roles should have been reversed here and it still would have taught Ash the same lesson.