• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Grass-Type Is Always Greener (499)

Flamez

Elite 4 Champion
Leaf Storm looked poor in the preview but in this episode it really came as a strong, cool looking attack.
Yeah thats why in the speculation thread for this episode I told you not to judge it by the preview since the whole attack wasn't being shown.

It was disappointing to see Mukubird lose like that but there is alot of time left in Shinou, Mukubird will plenty of wins.

I'll post my comments about the episode in a bit.

Bliksem

The Quirky Quilava
That Turtwig freakin' dodged an Aerial Ace! I call hax on Gardenia. She probably pumped it up with some super vitamins or something. Pictures don't really express just how fast that thing is. I mean, oh my god. Staravia's coming in, putting everything he has into that Aerial Ace, and Turtwig's just like *dodge* and Staravia's like "OMG!! *crash*" And goodness, Leaf Storm was something else (bets on Ash's Turtwig learning a different, flashier version?).

Yup, Ash and Staravia seem to have synchronized their records XD

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
It was disappointing to see Mukubird lose like that but there is alot of time left in Shinou, Mukubird will plenty of wins.

The bird has no hope from what i saw, i'm starting to wonder why the writers evolved it at all to begin with. It's one thing to lose to a pokemon but this was a complete and total pwning, haven't seen one this bad since the Grovyle vs. Luvdisc incident.

And goodness, Leaf Storm was something else (bets on Ash's Turtwig learning a different, flashier version?).

Me and a few others agree that Ash's shouldn't get that move until it evolves into Grotle, that move's abit to destructive for this early on, not to mention that it's only going to get him labeled as a DEM.

Dax

Legend
To be honest, we can consider this battle as Staravia's first official battle so I'll let that loss go. There's have to be a purpose to his evolution and we still have time to find that out.

The pokemon really doesn't have battle experience because now that I remember as a Starly I think he only battled Paul's Starly and then Turtwig which was freakishly strong and even defeated Ash's Turtwig, easily.

If Gardenia's Turtwig evolve I want to see how Ash can really win the next gym.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
MEROKOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Er, Gardenia, I mean. I'm sorry but ever since I heard that Chieko Honda would be voicing her I've turned into a hyperventilating ping-pong ball because...because...because she is just so awesome.

But Gardenia was basically Meroko in any way - her attitude, her VOICE (<3<3<3), her random squeal-attacks...just everything. Which makes me love her automatically. Her popping up out of nowhere and suddenly decide to leave again (even Brock remarked on that) was quite funny. And of course, there were so many times I had to laugh at her hilarious outbursts concerning Grass Pokémon - especially during the Team Rocket scenes. Or when Dawn told her to back away from James because he was a bad guy and she just yelled, "THAT'S NOT TRUE!" with the reason that a Grass Type trainer can't be bad XD

Speaking of Team Rocket though, they made quite an entertaining appearance this time with their mummy motto (MM!) - even the background music was remixed accordingly.

And while I'm talking about funny scenes...Cheryl is quite a ditz. She was already showing signs of being one in the previous episode, but this time it was quite obvious. Also loved when Brock got to play superhero for her two times in this episode. He sure seemed to enjoy it...

...Forgot about the battle again. Er, it was nothing more than "alright" itself, but anything that makes Ash have one of his little panic attacks gets a bonus in my book. He didn't do very well this time - his orders weren't exactly what I'd call strategic, but on the other hand, he'd barely been given enough time to think of a way to handle the situation in the first place.

Ehem. Anyways, I'm looking forward to more (and most likely last) action from Cheryl, and even more to seeing Gardenia again - and hearing her voice :D - and her Pokémon - and her...argh, I just want to see her. Soon!

As a last note, I'd actually find it amusing if Gardenia's Turtwig evolved during the Gym match, hindering it from moving as fast as before and thus removing the essential trait that made it so strong. Just a random idea that my silly mind gave me, but hey, I'd pay to see that ^^"

Last edited:

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Yo, Sushi!

Can I ask you a few things?

1) What was with James mention of Utsubot (Victreebel) a couple of times?

2) I hear Gardenia say "Gym Leader" and "Hakutai", does the gang know she is the GL?

3) What was up with the Nuzleaf?

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Yo 8D

1) Gardenia offered him to trade his Carnivine for either Bellossom, Vileplume, or Victreebell. The last one made him go all nostalgic and he went on about wanting to be swallowed by one again. I guess that while he wasn't willing to trade, he found the idea of having a Victreebell again tempting. He almost forgot about capturing Mothim because of all this, that's why Jessie got angry at him.

2) No. She was cheeky enough to say, "I heard rumours that the Eterna City Gym Leader uses Grass Pokémon too." :D

3) Nuzleaf is Gardenia's courier. It brought her a message saying that she has to come back for some unknown reason. I don't know whether Nuzleaf really belongs to her, but considering it followed her in the end, it seems likely.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Gardenia offered him to trade his Carnivine for either Bellossom, Vileplume, or Victreebell

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

Trade Carnivine? If you did James, I'd be very angry at you...:(
Besides, Gardenia doesn't realize that he's a psycho.

2) No. She was cheeky enough to say, "I heard rumours that the Eterna City Gym Leader uses Grass Pokémon too."

:p

Oh gawd, this will probably be the longest time between Ash meeting a Gym Leader, and finding out the person was a Gym leader...

Nuzleaf is Gardenia's courier. It brought her a message saying that she has to come back for some unknown reason. I don't know whether Nuzleaf really belongs to her, but considering it followed her in the end, it seems likely.
Ah, I thought it was a map or something.

Well, thanks.

^ASH^

Beginning Trainer
MEROKOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!
MEROKO!! ^___^
I was without computer for more than a month and still didn't watch DP25+
Now that I know Gardenia's VA is Meroko's I even more want to watch it
Nice that they mention Victreebell again

And Sushi - I still didn't heard Cheryl but my friend think that he knowns her voice... can you please check the credits and tell me who Cheryl's VA?
Thanks

marrycherrylips

gardenia is my favroite gym leader now,and not just because she added to ash`s losses but because she is just so fun and because she`s a grass trainer,being a grass user myself in the games and lover of grass pokemon,i love seeing strong grass pokemon.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
And Sushi - I still didn't heard Cheryl but my friend think that he knowns her voice... can you please check the credits and tell me who Cheryl's VA?
She's called Maria Kawamura. I don't know what Anime your friend knows her from, but her wikipedia article has many of her roles listed so that might help =)

There's one more thing that caught my interest in the episodes. At the beginning, when Ash's Turtwig accidently knocked all the Kakuna off the trees I was so sure that they'd evolve and hunt them down, but was greatly surprised when they didn't. It was when I'd almost believed that they were just randomly brought into the scene that Jessie had to over them ~_~

Flamez

Elite 4 Champion
The bird has no hope from what i saw, i'm starting to wonder why the writers evolved it at all to begin with. It's one thing to lose to a pokemon but this was a complete and total pwning, haven't seen one this bad since the Grovyle vs. Luvdisc incident.

"No Hope", that is just wrong. Ofcourse it has hope, Grovyle had won battles as a Treeko and Grovyle and then suffered the humiliating loss to luvdisc. However, this was Mukubird's first official battle. Even though grovyle suffered a bad loss it didn't lose hope, it won a few times in the hoenn league beating Katie's Walrein (battle was awesome), it evolved to Sceptile picking up a couple of more wins and even brought down Regirock to its knee. It is definitley one of Ash's strongest pokemon.

I understand what your saying but Mukubird not being able to get a hit in was because they wanted to show Gardenia's Turtwig as a real speed demon, which they did. That also makes Gardenia seem much more of a threat which will make the official gym battle really interesting.
Look at how Taillow was handled, it lost pretty badly to Brawly's Machop and never did anything, but when it evolved and picked up its first win against Winona's Shiny Swellow it had plenty of wins after that and is arguably Ash's strongest AG pokemon.

To say that it has "no hope" is just wrong. The no hope scenario is more for pokemon like Noctowl, Cyndaquil, Totodile.

I am in love with Gardenia. lol
She was just amazing, her moments with James and his pokemon were really entertaining.

Battle:
As sushi said before, there really wasn't enough time for Ash to react to speed like that. Besides you can clearly see that Ash gets frustrated, which often causes him to lose. I had a smile on my face though when Ash grabs his head because he can't get a hit on Tutwig. :)

Even though Mukubird lost, its battle was was funny and entertaining.
From the start when Ash calls it out and it just goes Muuukuuuuuuuu! That had me going for a while. lol
Then when it misses Aerial Ace and goes into the bushes, the noises it makes is pretty damn funny as well.
When it gets blasted by leaf storm and is yelling, man that was crazy. :D

Speaking of Leaf Storm, I dont know maybe it was the animation but the attack seemed to be strongest thing I have ever seen. It seems like someone is shooting their Ak-47 or something. It looked excellent and has become one of my favorite attacks.

I wouldn't mind Ash's Turtwig getting it, especially if we see Ash training it or something like that.

This episode is not just one of the best DP episodes but one of the best overall episodes.

^ASH^

Beginning Trainer
She's called Maria Kawamura. I don't know what Anime your friend knows her from, but her wikipedia article has many of her roles listed so that might help =)

Thanks!! ^_^ and he didn't watch anything with her XD so probably she just had a voice that is similar to another VA
And if someone interested to know- she also voiced Prima/Loreli and Yuma (I think Yuma is that girl from the episode with the contest that Brock participated at)

P13

With Meowth's disturbing fantasy in the last episode and Gardenia being masochistic with James' Pokemon, makes me worry about how this creepy story arc will end in the next episode.

I wasn't so sure before, but I think this episode proves that Staravia will be well featured when Ash challenges the Eternia Gym. I get a funny visual of it just snapping when it sees Gardenia again and beating all of her Pokemon single-handedly. Well... I suppose they're probably going to want Turtwig to have a rematch against Mach Turtle... but Staravia will beat the others.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
"No Hope", that is just wrong. Ofcourse it has hope, Grovyle had won battles as a Treeko and Grovyle and then suffered the humiliating loss to luvdisc.

The battle scenario is the same but not the pokemon involved, Grovyle had proved itself plenty of times prior to the Juan match so it's loss wasn't as bad compared to this.

However, this was Mukubird's first official battle. Even though grovyle suffered a bad loss it didn't lose hope, it won a few times in the hoenn league beating Katie's Walrein (battle was awesome), it evolved to Sceptile picking up a couple of more wins and even brought down Regirock to its knee. It is definitley one of Ash's strongest pokemon.

When a pokemon evolves, it's evo needs to make a good first impression(aka by f-ing winning in a great mannor) in a non team rocket battle, and it getting complety owned in it's first match by a grass type is a just cause for massive concern for the future, cause i don't like the "torkoal" vibes i'm starting to get.

Come to think of it, i can't recall any other of Ash's pokemon that lost a non TR battle after evolving. Why did Staravia get screwed over?

That also makes Gardenia seem much more of a threat which will make the official gym battle really interesting.

I wonder how in the hell Ash is gonna beat her after how badly she decimated him, i haven't seen him get his butt handed to him like this in a long time, this was worse than the loss to Roark. Unofficial or not.

uber gon

Accept Change
The battle scenario is the same but not the pokemon involved, Grovyle had proved itself plenty of times prior to the Juan match so it's loss wasn't as bad compared to this.

When a pokemon evolves, it's evo needs to make a good first impression(aka by f-ing winning in a great mannor) in a non team rocket battle, and it getting complety owned in it's first match by a grass type is a just cause for massive concern for the future, cause i don't like the "torkoal" vibes i'm starting to get.

Come to think of it, i can't recall any other of Ash's pokemon that lost a non TR battle after evolving. Why did Staravia get screwed over?

I wonder how in the hell Ash is gonna beat her after how badly she decimated him, i haven't seen him get his butt handed to him like this in a long time, this was worse than the loss to Roark. Unofficial or not.

Meh, I'm getting a "Staravia sucks but shines in some extreme matter" vibes.

I mean, do the writers need ANOTHER screwjob on a bird?

uber gon

Accept Change
Meh, I'm getting a "Staravia sucks but shines in some extreme matter" vibes.

I mean, do the writers need ANOTHER screwjob on a bird?

No, seriously.