• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Gravity of the situation (VGC 2015 Team)

Absol_ute

Hello I'm new in the forum, In a few days I will assist to the first premier event of the year in my country, so I builded a team and neeed some ideas or corrections

;302; Sableye (Calm-Prankster)
Item: Mental Herb
252 HP-240 Sp Def-16 Def
-Gravity
-Quash
-Recover
-Night Shade->Will-o-Wisp

The principal pokemon of my team, He use Gravity especially for the reduction in evasion, that could play against me but the rest of the team make it very useful, The lack of Will-o-wisp will be explained ahead, Recover for not lost my principal pokemon, Quash for set-up and Night shade for constant attack. Will-o-wisp for attack reduction and damge

;094; Gengar (Timid-Levitate->Shadow Tag)
Item: Gengarite
252 Sp Atk-252 Speed-4 HP
-Hypnosis
-Protect
-Hex->Shadow Ball (I can't rely in sleep)
-Dream Eater->Sludge Bomb (^ Ditto)

One of the megas of my team, with the gravity support Hypnosis is a 100% accurracy move and thanks to Shadow Tag a way no one could escape from it, protect in case I need it for speed adjustment, Hex is the perfect move for this combination, and dream eater for HP Recover, Due to the lack of levitate in mega gengar I don't see a problem with gravity.

;376; Metagross (Adamant-Clear Body->Tough Claws)
Item: Metagrossite
252 Atk-252 Speed-4 HP
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
-Hammer Arm ->Ice Punch
-Protect

The other mega of my team, with metagross I don't need gravity activated at all, but If i could have it much better the 3 attacks that it have have an accuracy of 90, I hate to lose for a miss. Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt are for the STAB and Hammer Arm for take care of Dark and Normal Tyoe pokemon specially kangaskhan Ice Punch for coverage

;350; Milotic (Modest-Competitive)
Item: Sitrus Berry
252 HP-200 SP Atk-56 Def
-Hydro Pump
-Blizzard
-Hypnosis
-Potect/Recover (Which one?)

A bulkier option for Gengar, Hypnosis for obvius resons, Hydro Pump a Strong attack with STAB and with the colboration of gravity 100% accuracy, Blizzard for the same reason but without STAB, and the last one I can't decide.

;445; Garchomp (Jolly-Rough Skin)
Item: Lum Berry
252 atk-252 Speed-4 HP
-Dragon Rush
-Eathquake
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide
-Protect

An Earthquake user is completly neccesary in the team, thanks to gravity with an eartquake Garchomp can OHKO threats as Rotom, Zapdos or even Thundurus, Dragon rush an stronger option than Dragon claw, and Stone Edge that it's a good idea with Gravity in the field

;485; Heatran (Modest-Flash Fire)
Item: Leftovers
252 HP-252 Sp Atk-4 Def
-Fire Blast
-Flash Cannon
-Substitute
-Protect

I changed Magmortar for Heatran, Heatran is the perfect counter for fairies and also for hyper voice (any type), the only thing i should fear it's earthquake, a maybe some water attacks, also substitute is for a set up in case i needed it

And other thing that gravity could make it's an autodestructive team, because some times the opponent don't know it existence and use eartquake when theres a flying/levitating pokemon in the field

EDIT: Changes in Sableye, Gengar, Metagross, Magmortar replaced by Heatran

Last edited:

Vern

Why not both?
One thing that immediately caught my eye was the presence of two megas on the team. Since you are only allowed one mega per battle, I would suggest only running one. Because if you mega one, you're stuck with a useless item on your other mega. So you have to choose between one or the other. I would recommend that perhaps use assault vest on metagross (without mega), or Focus Sash on Gengar.
Sableye is frail and will die easily, even with the extra EVs. He can take a hit but not too many, and recover sometimes just won't do the job against heavier hitters. He is also your only way to activate gravity, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
One thing that immediately caught my eye was the presence of two megas on the team. Since you are only allowed one mega per battle, I would suggest only running one. Because if you mega one, you're stuck with a useless item on your other mega. So you have to choose between one or the other. I would recommend that perhaps use assault vest on metagross (without mega), or Focus Sash on Gengar.
Sableye is frail and will die easily, even with the extra EVs. He can take a hit but not too many, and recover sometimes just won't do the job against heavier hitters. He is also your only way to activate gravity, so keep that in mind.

This is VGC. You only need 4 Pokemon to participate in the battle.

Absol_ute

Mega Metragoss could be usefull when i don't want to use gravity, and Gengar Is when I need to trap and sleep some pokemons, sableye also is mostly for set up gravity and if theres no threat switch for other pokemon

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!
Right off the bat, your Gengar relies too much on Sleep to do anything. If Taunt stops Hypnosis, your stuck firing off mediocre Hex's. I would suggest getting rid of Dream Eater for Sludge Bomb, and giving Sableye Will-o-Wisp since that's all around beneficial to your team.

Edit: Oh, and change Dragon Rush to Dragon Claw on Garchomp. The little bit of extra power isn't worth the accuracy drop, and you can't rely on gravity being up all the time.

Last edited:

Absol_ute

Right off the bat, your Gengar relies too much on Sleep to do anything. If Taunt stops Hypnosis, your stuck firing off mediocre Hex's. I would suggest getting rid of Dream Eater for Sludge Bomb, and giving Sableye Will-o-Wisp since that's all around beneficial to your team.

Edit: Oh, and change Dragon Rush to Dragon Claw on Garchomp. The little bit of extra power isn't worth the accuracy drop, and you can't rely on gravity being up all the time.

Dragon rush has worked on me, but the gengar part it's true, gengar doesn't work to well relaying in sleep, so i will keep hypnosis, it could be usefull to fight sucker punch users, change hex for shadow ball, theres times i can't use hypnosis, and change dream eater with sludge bomb for the fairies like sylveon and gardevoir.

Also I replace magmortar for heatran, and replace metagross's Hammer Arm for Ice Punch.