• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Great Alola Pancake Race! (956)

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Better than the Lana episode at least. This episode was alright.

NPT

Just a member
6/10
SM013 was better than the previous episode but it's not as fun as I thought it would be. I'm getting tired of Mimikyu's hatred for Pikachu.

Looking forward to Lillie and the newly-hatched Alolan Vulpix's bonding in the next episode.

Animefan145

Well, that was a wacky episode. Poor Kiawe, if only he had a lighter Pokemon. And its a strange generation when Team Rocket's Pokemon are scarier than Jessie. Even when they move to the next region, Bewear might follow them at this rate.

Ok episode, entertaining enough for one viewing. Though I wish Mallow would get her spotlight episode, rather than exposition dump here and cameos there (like during the milk delivery the other week).

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Well, this might have been filler (except for the very end), but at least it was entertaining.

So both Pikachu and Raichu lost the race, but I have to admit, I got a good laugh out of how and why--because Bewear distracted them enough for the always-sleeping Kowala to roll to the finish line. ^O^ Well, I suppose that's better than Pikachu beating an air-surfing Raichu or Raichu beating Pikachu.

Looks like Mimikyu's hatred for Pikachu is so strong that it can't help but want to attack it even in the middle of an official race. Why does this give me a feeling Mimikyu isn't likely to listen to Jessie when Pikachu is not involved? Also, that was sort of a cheap way to eliminate both Bounsweet and Popplio.

The highlight of this episode was Kiawe attempting to pull Turtonator in the wagon, and how he never gave up, even after the race was over. Kiawe, you should have known better than to use your 400-some pound turtle as your partner for this race. :p

I also like how Vulpix's imminent hatching was foreshadowed throughout the entire episode, with the egg glowing every now and then.

Nekaku

Honestly I'm glad they are swaying from XY since it was my second least favorite series. Even a random filler ep like this is fun due to how much heart S&M has over the past two series. The ending was actually better than having either of the Chus win.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
So the Principal and his rolling Komala won the race, unbelievable lol. :D

Really liked seeing Mallow get some screentime and how focused/pumped up she was for this race (still waiting for her own focus episode though, but this was cool). I thought Mallow would be the one to show Ash the Pancake place, but it'd made more sense for Kukui to be there seeing as how it all transpired.

And James, didn't anyone ever teach you to not talk with food in your mouth! :p

Poor Sophocles, first one out of the race bascially (lol at Togedemaru's reaction) and Kiawe does get an A for effort (thought he had heart attack lol). Then Mallow's Bounsweet trips up, causes Mimikyu to Shadowball Popplio's balloon, which causes them to be out of the race, and in the end Team Rocket's plan backfires (like usual) and causes Pikachu and Raichu to lose. I guess Team Rocket's win streak comes to end lol.

Last, WAS NOT expecting the egg to hatch at the end, real nice surprise there.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Lets start~!

-Ahahaha! I told you guys Bounsweet needed to get more screentime and I got my wish! It can stack a ton of pancakes on its head, even Ash and Pikachu are amazed! :D

-Prof Kukui and Ash shopping together!! I love it when they bond! That looks like a bunch of big bags of pancake mix/whatever

-Noa and her Raichu are the Champion of course lol. I didn't know Alolan Raichu is a Psychic type. Those pancakes look very appetizing!!

-Training begins!! Rotomdex is being very comical.

-Wow! Pikachu's eyes turning brown when a bit sad was a VERY nice touch!!

-Pfft, I think I found DrLazyEyes being rode on by a random CoTD. :p Oh and a great backside view of Mao chan and Ash

-That subtle Mao-Lillie moment. :] It's pretty sad that Lady Lana is kind of left out... I'll be rooting for Kiawe the most this time.

-Oh no poor James!!! :(

-Kiawe is so dramatic, he and Bakugames definitely have heart... and an extra ton of weight involved

-BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Togedemaru punishing Mamane!!! :p

-It's saddening that Bounsweet, Mimikyu, and Popplio lost but man can Komala move!! :eek:

-Wow, that entrance

-Komala won!!! (But Kiawe is still racing with Bakugames!) That Seaking face was disturbing

-Lillie should definitely race with the egg.

-Wow! Alolan Vulpix evolved in this episode! Welcome to the family!!! Anyone else notice Rotomdex's ambulance siren noise?

Now for the bad points:

-I guess the pacing and execution. It's cool that Pikachu's somehow gluing those pancakes together despite running super fast but also kind of unrealistic. I also didn't like on how barely anything bad happened to Pikachu and a lot of the course were skipped over. Pikachu did his best and ran a good race but I kind of wished there were more participants running up behind them (Thank God for Komala lol)

-Kiawe didn't win. Poor guy made a bad decision and it cost him the race. Sure he didn't win but he was barely focused on

-I felt Mamane and Lady Lana were a bit unnecessary this time. Like it felt they weren't needed and were a bit used as a plot device (Mamane to show what happens when/how you lose and Lana to show other techniques to hold onto the pancakes).

-Pikachu and Raichu's rivalry didn't have much value to start tension with each other besides the natural evolution hatred

-I wished Mimikyu used a move just to not only disqualify itself but the other Pokémon as well. It can't just conceal it's Pikachu grudge for long

-Am I the only one that thinks Alolan Raichu is kind of ugly? ^^

Pretty decent episode. I enjoyed the last episodes a lot more. I'm really grateful that Bounsweet got some necessary screentime where it did something other than stand on Mao chan's shoulder. There are less comedy in this episode, the episode was still enjoyable but I don't know, I find it a bit odd that I didn't laugh as much as I did the last couple of episodes. Meowth's Bewear costume with Wobbuffet was absolute genius than using Marieanie. I am relieved that TR didn't ruin the race, I almost thought once Mimikyu disqualified itself by hitting Pikachu, TR would interrupt the race to catch Alolan Raichu and Pikachu. Thank you writers!!!

I'm a lot less ecstatic this review. So sorry for the short one. Will do better next review!

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I keep rewatching the Vulpix scene. The music in that scene is so good to listen to. I can't recall 'Welcome to Alola' being used at all in the anime up til now.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I keep rewatching the Vulpix scene. The music in that scene is so good to listen to. I can't recall 'Welcome to Alola' being used at all in the anime up til now.

"Welcome to Alola' was also used at the end of SM04, when Rowlet decided it wanted to join Ash. But yeah, that track is a perfect fit for the Vulpix hatching scene. Not to mention the way Vulpix's fur fluffs out is just so...adorable!

satoharupika said:
-I felt Mamane and Lady Lana were a bit unnecessary this time. Like it felt they weren't needed and were a bit used as a plot device (Mamane to show what happens when/how you lose and Lana to show other techniques to hold onto the pancakes).

While Togedemaru's anger at Sophocles for losing the race (and she looked so sad when he told her!) was kind of funny, I agree that Sophocles and Lana otherwise felt unnecessary. It's like they were just there to be there, which is probably the case.

satoharupika said:
-I wished Mimikyu used a move just to not only disqualify itself but the other Pokémon as well. It can't just conceal it's Pikachu grudge for long

I was hoping for Mimikyu to get disqualified the moment it started to form a Shadow Ball. How did neither the referee (if there even was one) nor the commentator notice that, when the whole thing was televised?

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
"Welcome to Alola' was also used at the end of SM04, when Rowlet decided it wanted to join Ash. But yeah, that track is a perfect fit for the Vulpix hatching scene. Not to mention the way Vulpix's fur fluffs out is just so...adorable!

So it was. Can't believe I didn't notice it (I thought the title theme for the games was playing when Ash caught Rowlet).

'Welcome to Alola' just seemed to sync so nicely with Vulpix, better than Rowlet anyway.

satopi

I really like the sequence of Alolan Vulpix hatching. Like it's tails and wool covered the majority of its body and it opened its eyes with a look of wonder. I can't believe it didn't look at Lillie as the first person it saw. Maybe Sophocles?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Aside from building up to the Bewear joke at the end, the only thing I don't get is why James didn't use Mareanie for the race.

Still, for Sun & Moon's first 100% filler episode (or 95% if you count the ending), it was pretty good. The plot was interesting, the jokes were funny, & Pikachu got some character development.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Another thing I forgot to mention, after Pikachu and Raichu practiced...was it just me or did anyone else find Jessie completely out of her mind after Meowth showed them the promotional poster of the Pancake place or race? I mean that laugh combined with the fire in her eyes and James/Meowth's reaction, etc...it was kind of funny, but also creepy in a way. o_O

satopi

I was hoping for Mimikyu to get disqualified the moment it started to form a Shadow Ball. How did neither the referee (if there even was one) nor the commentator notice that, when the whole thing was televised?
It was shown on the big screen. I could've swore the announcer said something about it or was it Jessie since she commented on Mimikyu not to use Shadow Ball.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
As expected this episode was nothing special.The race was ok with some funny moments especially with Kiawe trying to carry Turtonator.Finally the egg hatched so the episode didn't feel entirely as a filler.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
It was shown on the big screen. I could've swore the announcer said something about it or was it Jessie since she commented on Mimikyu not to use Shadow Ball.

Jessie did scream at Mimikyu not to use Shadow Ball, but obviously it couldn't hear her, since she was watching it on the broadcast while it was in the race. However, assuming I understand the commentator, she merely commented that Bounsweet, Mimikyu, and Popplio were out of the race. I don't think she said anything about Mimikyu prepping a Shadow Ball, even though it was broadcast for everyone to see. That's my point.

tuxego

Did anyone else notice the Alolan Raichu pulling those Hau-like poses with that grin and arms behind its head? It was so cute.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Another thing I forgot to mention, after Pikachu and Raichu practiced...was it just me or did anyone else find Jessie completely out of her mind after Meowth showed them the promotional poster of the Pancake place or race? I mean that laugh combined with the fire in her eyes and James/Meowth's reaction, etc...it was kind of funny, but also creepy in a way. o_O

Yeah, she went absolutely Zubatty when she learned that the prize for winning the race was a ticket for "all you can eat" pancakes. (At least, I think that's what the prize was. It was related to eating pancakes, that's for sure.) Just more evidence that Jessie is a nutcase, that's all that was.

Did anyone else notice the Alolan Raichu pulling those Hau-like poses with that grin and arms behind its head? It was so cute.

I did notice Raichu's poses, but I didn't make the connection to Hau until you mentioned it. Perhaps that's our reference to Hau right there. His spirit has been brought into the anime in the form of an Alolan Raichu who works at a pancake house. (Raichu should have been working at a malasada shop. Then it would truly have been Hau in spirit.)