• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Great Alola Pancake Race! (956)

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Snowy, GAH! That is WORSE than Frosty, which was my guess for her nickname.

Disappointing they didn't let Kukui call Ash a freeloader, that was the funniest part of the subs. The way the dub said it wasn't even chuckle worthy.... at least Kiawe was still funny here.
I still don't get why James couldn't team up with Mareanie, and Meowth and Wobbuffett just team up like they usually do for this stuff. It's just annoying how this is the first episode after her capture, and she's nowhere to be seen.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Is Pikachu ever going to be friendly to a Raichu??

You mean like all the other times he was friendly to a Raichu? Such as the one episode of DP, or maybe that episode where he danced with one in that Kanto episode?

Snowy, GAH! That is WORSE than Frosty, which was my guess for her nickname.

Disappointing they didn't let Kukui call Ash a freeloader, that was the funniest part of the subs. The way the dub said it wasn't even chuckle worthy.... at least Kiawe was still funny here.
I still don't get why James couldn't team up with Mareanie, and Meowth and Wobbuffett just team up like they usually do for this stuff. It's just annoying how this is the first episode after her capture, and she's nowhere to be seen.

If Mimikyu couldn't control its Pikachu bloodlust, then Mareanie wouldn't be able to control its Jameslust.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
...Why would you race to an event that's not even connected to the race itself.

Agreed, frankly. But TheWanderingMist's explanation is better than having no explanation at all

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Mimikyu's entire personality is "KILL PIKACHU."

...And that's it, really. It's extremely one-dimensional.

Still better than many of the previous Rocket pokémon like Inkay or Pumpkaboo. I don't think they even had a single dimension to their personality. At least they do funny gags with Mimikyu, like scaring Meowth or having it move everywhere with those creepy sound effects. It always has that presence that's hard to explain, it brings a certain creepiness mixed with cuteness to the scene. I don't think they ever even tried to do anything interesting with Inkay, it was always just there.

DatsRight

Still better than many of the previous Rocket pokémon like Inkay or Pumpkaboo. I don't think they even had a single dimension to their personality. At least they do funny gags with Mimikyu, like scaring Meowth or having it move everywhere with those creepy sound effects. It always has that presence that's hard to explain, it brings a certain creepiness mixed with cuteness to the scene. I don't think they ever even tried to do anything interesting with Inkay, it was always just there.

You dare forget the Malamar thwarting, James coddled Inkaychu? Or showcase diva Gourgeist? They were very often jobbers but they got their moments.

Seriously, not to say there haven't been bland Team Rocket Pokemon, but you could pick two better examples than Inkay and Gourgeist. After BW, they were at least a step to going to what we have now.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Mimikyu's entire personality is "KILL PIKACHU."

...And that's it, really. It's extremely one-dimensional.

That's what I love about it. It's such a perfect Pokémon for Team rocket, and I don't think it will ever get old.

You dare forget the Malamar thwarting, James coddled Inkaychu? Or showcase diva Gourgeist? They were very often jobbers but they got their moments.

Seriously, not to say there haven't been bland Team Rocket Pokemon, but you could pick two better examples than Inkay and Gourgeist. After BW, they were at least a step to going to what we have now.

They had their moments, and Jessie and James' Unova Pokémon were much worse, but those two are still worse than any non-Unova Team Rocket Pokémon by far.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.

No one can be worse than TR's BW team.

DatsRight

No one can be worse than TR's BW team.

I dunno, a lot of Brock, Misty and Tracey's Pokemon come close. I can remember maybe a handful that had a slither of personality or even did anything. Even the lousiest TR Pokemon had at least ineffectual sympathy from blasting off all the time.

They had their moments, and Jessie and James' Unova Pokémon were much worse, but those two are still worse than any non-Unova Team Rocket Pokémon by far.

Their secondary Kanto Pokemon I'd argue were duller than their Kalos lot. Likitung rarely came out it's ball and didn't really have a bond with Jessie, while Victreebell was probably the blandest of James' 'glomping' Pokemon (as funny as that was), you couldn't even tell whether or not it liked James or just wanted to eat him, and other than it didn't really do anything noteworthy. Also as much as I liked the idea of TR having a Chimecho, it was probably the most undeveloped of James' 'cute' Pokemon, while Inkay at least battled and interacted more with the other Pokemon.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Their secondary Kanto Pokemon I'd argue were duller than their Kalos lot. Likitung rarely came out it's ball and didn't really have a bond with Jessie, while Victreebell was probably the blandest of James' 'glomping' Pokemon (as funny as that was), you couldn't even tell whether or not it liked James or just wanted to eat him, and other than it didn't really do anything noteworthy. Also as much as I liked the idea of TR having a Chimecho, it was probably the most undeveloped of James' 'cute' Pokemon, while Inkay at least battled and interacted more with the other Pokemon.

You're not entirely wrong on Lickitung and Victreebel, but I'd at least like to think that those ones came off less of being nothing but tools, which is all Team Rocket's Unova Pokémon were in the end. And I'd say that next to Mime Jr., Chimecho was the Pokémon that James showed the strongest bond with, saving it from being underdeveloped.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I rewatched the episode last night on Disney XD, and whenever somebody said rival or rivalry (mostly Emily Jenness's character and the last year's champion chick) I couldn't help but think Rai-val and Rai-valry. lol

NPT

Just a member
This episode was somewhat better than the last episode, but it still kinda sucked because of Team Rocket and Memekyu. The outcome of the pancake race was a total cop-out. Either Pikachu or Raichu could've won the race if it wasn't for the distraction caused by Bewear. Stupid Memekyu should've been disqualified the moment it tried to form a Shadow Ball. Poor Lana...

The best part was, of course, Lillie's egg hatching into an Alolan Vulpix. The next episode will be a interesting one for the dub-only viewers.

Speaking of the dub, Apparently the Alolan Vulpix's dub nickname is Snowy. Well, I suppose it's a decent nickname, but to be honest I liked Snowball better.

It seems like they've finally toned down Jessie and James' stupid puns and alliterations, but Meowth's dialouges haven't improved one bit. Also, I think it's about time the narrator guy starts saying something other than "as the journey continues" at the end of each episode. Something like "our heroes adventures continues" or "find out in the next episode" would be fine.

Music Kept in dub (3):
  • Title Card
  • Movie 18 BGM - Legendary Pokémon (BW Title Screen theme remix)
  • Alola Region theme
Whoa, didn't expect TPCi to keep the Alola Region theme in the dub! Let's hope they'll keep more game tracks in the upcoming dub episodes.

so shiron is called snowy in the dub?

lillie is tintin lmao.

TEN THOUSAND THUNDERING TYPHOONS!! Delete this.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
This episode was somewhat better than the last episode, but it still kinda sucked because of Team Rocket and Memekyu. The outcome of the pancake race was a total cop-out. Either Pikachu or Raichu could've won the race if it wasn't for the distraction caused by Bewear. Stupid Memekyu should've been disqualified the moment it tried to form a Shadow Ball. Poor Lana...

The best part was, of course, Lillie's egg hatching into an Alolan Vulpix. The next episode will be a interesting one for the dub-only viewers.

Speaking of the dub, Apparently the Alolan Vulpix's dub nickname is Snowy. Well, I suppose it's a decent nickname, but to be honest I liked Snowball better.

It seems like they've finally toned down Jessie and James' stupid puns and alliterations, but Meowth's dialouges haven't improved one bit. Also, I think it's about time the narrator guy starts saying something other than "as the journey continues" at the end of each episode. Something like "our heroes adventures continues" or "find out in the next episode" would be fine.

Music Kept in dub (3):
  • Title Card
  • Movie 18 BGM - Legendary Pokémon (BW Title Screen theme remix)
  • Alola Region theme
Whoa, didn't expect TPCi to keep the Alola Region theme in the dub! Let's hope they'll keep more game tracks in the upcoming dub episodes.

Are you misspelling Mimikyu on purpose to make a pun with the word meme? Is there a Mimikyu meme going around that I'm unaware of?

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
If the dub occasionally used the "D-word" a great moment to use it was when Sophocles had his moment of clumsiness.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Pikachu52

Pikachu vs Alolan Raichu was hardly a fair match up?

Pikachu had to run on all fours with a stack of pancakes nearly as tall as him on his back. Raichu can ride it's tail like the hover board in the movie back to the future. The animators even went to the effort of drawing sweat beads on Pikachu while he was training for the race - yet he still managed to keep even pace with Raichu. And might have won or drawn but for Team Rocket.

Somewhat an anti-climatic to rendition the Pikachu/Raichu rivalry. No battles. No serious injuries to Pikachu. No agonising over a thunderstone. But then XY left it clear Pikachu can take on and defeat it's pre-evolved form.

Team Rocket have gone soft since the last series. Why waste all that effort trying to cheat for a few pancakes when you have all those Pokémon in one place to steal - plus Pikachu and Raichu too. In fact why bother competing at all - you could just steal the pancakes?

And how did anybody not see the Bewear was fake from the start - it had an exhaust pipe and wheels??

Meh. It's a fun episode 9/10

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Pikachu vs Alolan Raichu was hardly a fair match up?

Pikachu had to run on all fours with a stack of pancakes nearly as tall as him on his back. Raichu can ride it's tail like the hover board in the movie back to the future. The animators even went to the effort of drawing sweat beads on Pikachu while he was training for the race - yet he still managed to keep even pace with Raichu. And might have won or drawn but for Team Rocket.

Somewhat an anti-climatic to rendition the Pikachu/Raichu rivalry. No battles. No serious injuries to Pikachu. No agonising over a thunderstone. But then XY left it clear Pikachu can take on and defeat it's pre-evolved form.

Team Rocket have gone soft since the last series. Why waste all that effort trying to cheat for a few pancakes when you have all those Pokémon in one place to steal - plus Pikachu and Raichu too. In fact why bother competing at all - you could just steal the pancakes?

And how did anybody not see the Bewear was fake from the start - it had an exhaust pipe and wheels??

Meh. It's a fun episode 9/10

Really. All those critiques you say and somehow you still end up with a 9/10?

Leonhart

Imagineer
I enjoyed the pancake race aspect of this episode more than I thought I would in all honesty. I especially liked how Kaki was struggling to pull his Bakugames on the wagon, and Nyasu and Sonansu hiding in a giant Kiteruguma suit was hilarious even though the real one still appeared. I would've preferred if Mao had been more involved here, however.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I enjoyed the pancake race aspect of this episode more than I thought I would in all honesty. I especially liked how Kaki was struggling to pull his Bakugames on the wagon, and Nyasu and Sonansu hiding in a giant Kiteruguma suit was hilarious even though the real one still appeared. I would've preferred if Mao had been more involved here, however.

Her "fake" jealousy of the last year winner chick made me think it was real jealousy and she is into Ash