• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Great Farfetch'd Trial! (1140)

dman_dustin

The way Rinto talked made it seem like Sirfetch'd might end up with detect, and I can't help but think that Gallade was using it without being commanded, otherwise Gallade must be extremely strong to parry a Pokemon who can break through steel, which is hard to imagine given how easily Rinto did so.

I also fail to see why Gallade used false swipe unless it was like Dragonball where Beerus early on gave Goku a taste of his true power to show the massive difference between the two "without killing"

But here false swipe pretty much knocked out Farfetch'd which should be impossible unless they have a hard time imagining a Pokemon move that can never knock out a Pokemon given tne anime aesthetic as opposed to the games technical aspects.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I loved this episode. They gave Farfetch'd some nice character and this feels like a great set-up episode for its future development. With Focus Energy and Night Slash it should have no problem evolving in the future.

The battle with Gurdurr was one of the best battles in JN. I couldn't believe it broke the steel bea.. That's crazy.

It is true what Ronto said. Ash and Farfetch'd haven't bonded completely yet. Actually, it gave me Korrina and Lucario gives.

The jump in ranking doesn't bother me too much as they are likely saving the more interesting characters for the higher ranks. The 1 minute battles are fun but I got tired of seeing Pikachu amd Riolu.

Soniman

Break the Limit
I can safely say that Kamonegi was redeemed in this episode after being so stale and generally missing in most episodes until now. I really enjoyed seeing him in action, which was a little bittersweet considering that I would've loved seeing him take over Lucario's role completely in some of the previous episodes. I just find Kamonegi to be more interesting overall than Satoshi's other Pokemon.

Lucario is serious because...it's a Lucario and that's kinda it

Farfetch'd is serious for actual character reasons and it's kinda interesting and actually will feed into a larger character arc.

It's really funny how in one episode it probably became my favorite of Ash's. Wish they did it sooner honestly

Mew29240

The way Rinto talked made it seem like Sirfetch'd might end up with detect, and I can't help but think that Gallade was using it without being commanded, otherwise Gallade must be extremely strong to parry a Pokemon who can break through steel, which is hard to imagine given how easily Rinto did so.

I also fail to see why Gallade used false swipe unless it was like Dragonball where Beerus early on gave Goku a taste of his true power to show the massive difference between the two "without killing"

But here false swipe pretty much knocked out Farfetch'd which should be impossible unless they have a hard time imagining a Pokemon move that can never knock out a Pokemon given tne anime aesthetic as opposed to the games technical aspects.

I think they're going for a "power with control" arc for Farfetch'd. Beating Gurdurr the way it did more than proves its strength, but it's got little control and always puts everything into its attacks. If it can measure its swings/strength and wait for the right moment to strike, it can attack with great force for big (like the critical hit kind) damage.

The False Swipe kinda mirrors this concept in that despite its clear ability to knock out G-Farfetch'd in one shot, Gallade is skilled enough to just only bring it to the edge of defeat rather than overwhelming it outright like G-Farfetch'd had presumably always done with its matches.

Red and Blue

Yeah this episode finally made me give a crap about Ash's Farfetch'd as well. If it actually manages to defeat Wikstrom's Aegislash that's a big point in its favor

STICKTOPIA

I knew farfetch’d would win because we haven’t seen it in months and its last battle was a total disaster. The battle was a whole lot longer than I expected but at least it won. It’s very interesting that it doesn’t know any fighting moves and I thought that it would learn leaf blade. Focus energy in the future will help it land more critical hits and evolve soon. I wish I understood what that whole conversation between ash and the guy with the gallade was about. I knew Ash was going to do a jump but didn’t expect his ranking being what it is now(381)

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Hahaha abomination was no where to be seen, good lol.

Also this Farfetch'd is suddenly a bad ass, miss with this this offscreen bs. He got wrecked the last two times he was on screen and now is suddenly OP, oh please.

Not as bad as the BS they tried to pull with Gible but it's up there.
What, you think not seeing Dracovish (and presumably Arctozolt) is a good thing? Oh but I bet seeing Silvally was fine despite being a combination of more than two creatures and, in the games, being cryogenically frozen while wearing a mask! Yeah that's not too freaking strange! No Robert, seeing these Pokemon more is an objectively good thing. Same with this duck. It is a cute duck! As are Dracovish and Arctozolt!

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
What, you think not seeing Dracovish (and presumably Arctozolt) is a good thing? Oh but I bet seeing Silvally was fine despite being a combination of more than two creatures and, in the games, being cryogenically frozen while wearing a mask! Yeah that's not too freaking strange! No Robert, seeing these Pokemon more is an objectively good thing. Same with this duck. It is a cute duck! As are Dracovish and Arctozolt!

Absolutely, if I never see that ugly ass fish thing again I will be very happy, it is literally an abomination in concept and one of the worst designed pokemon ever lol.

And I didn't really care about Silvally either but at least he looked semi cool.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I think I understand the general idea for Farfetch'd's character now. It's introduced as essentially a rogue samurai street slasher, challenging whoever it can to test its "blade", joining Satoshi for the simple promise of getting stronger, seemingly not caring about anything else, including friendship. It just wants to swing its leek and get stronger, that's all there is to it, it's a warrior (Genba, the Gurdurr's trainer, described it as having a true warrior's eyes), it exists for battle. It doesn't DISLIKE being part of a team but it doesn't really care either, as shown in this week's episode where it starts to get so absorbed into training it becomes a danger to the people around it, and ignores Satoshi's attempts at socializing, it only listens to him when it's time for battle. When Satoshi starts wielding a leek himself it's not angry but very visibly confused. So where is this all going?

Rinto (Gallade guy) says "It seems like Farfetch'd-kun doesn't understand what's truly important yet" I think Farfetch'd actually doesn't have a current reason for wanting to get stronger, it's just the life it's lived (maybe we'll find out why, maybe not). It's a warrior, and war is all it knows. But its evolution is a knight, and what do knights do? They PROTECT. And having someone you want to protect is the best way to become stronger. In the new trailer Satoshi says "I believe in Farfetch'd" and in the same footage we see its eyes glint up a little (the audio could be for a different scene in the actual ep but we'll see). I think Farfetch'd will need to learn to appreciate Satoshi as a friend over simply as a trainer and gain a real purpose for getting stronger. And in the process it'll become happier, literally tranforming into Sirfetch'd which is usually depicted smiling.
They could also save Farfetch'd's evolution for another arc where it tries to protect Ash from an opposing pokemon, only for its leek to break. Ash worries if Farfdetch'd is ok and tires to protect it now that its leek is busted, but Farfetch'd gives it a reassuring look that feels like it's saying "We're in this together. I'm not going to let anything happen to you." The two are now in perfect sync as Farfetch'd pumps with a Focus Energy and Ash commands it to attack. Farfetch'd strikes the opponent with a series of Night Slashes, each one with more strength and determination than the last, until the pokemon pushes Farfetch'd back. It cuts to a dutch angle with the pokemon looming over Ash and Farfetch'd as it seems like an unstoppable foe. However, Ash raises his fist in the air and says something like "We're not backing down. We'll do whatever it takes to win!" Farfetch'd, filled with determination to protect its, raises its larger half of the leek mirroring Ash as it lets out a battle cry. Just then, everyone is stunned as Farfetch'd starts to glow.

The pokemon tries to stop Farfetch'd, but the aura of the glow pushes it back. Cue the Opening track from the OST as Farfetch'd evolves into Sirfetch'd, with the two halves of its broken leek becoming a sword and shield. Ash scans Sirfetch'd with its pokedex and learns it learned a new move. With the two now in sync,. Ash commands Sirfetch'd to use Meteor Assualt, which knocks out the opposing pokemon in one massive explosion.

Last edited:

dman_dustin

Absolutely, if I never see that ugly ass fish thing again I will be very happy, it is literally an abomination in concept and one of the worst designed pokemon ever lol.

And I didn't really care about Silvally either but at least he looked semi cool.

I hate that Ash has Dracovish but I'll never approve of it never showing up.

If I have to deal with that thing it better be shoved down my throat.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Well that just seems like a silly extreme example to suit your point. Yeah obviously if he was suddenly in Hyper Class or something next week I'd be upset too, but there's no reason to think they'd skip key things like that. Reaching a new rank for the first time, learning something valuable, beating an opponent he previously couldn't, they're not gonna offscreen those moments. I do agree I wish the jump this episode was smaller but let's not pretend they just threw some actual plans out the window or something.

It’s not about missing a moment or some flashy battle. It’s about the sense of progression for ash’s goal. The same way gym badges acts a marker for ash’s journey, the ranks should’ve been the same. I wouldn’t have minded even if we just got ash just saying how his rank is increasing every couple episode. That way we have a sense of progress for his goal, instead of the impression it’s been forgotten. They did it pretty well with how we see ash climb the ranks before, but apparently this class doesn’t really mean anything since we were told ash blast through more than half of it at some point.

This is the goal they have to reiterate at the start of every episode, but now it feels everything is pointless aside from the final fight with leon. At least goh has been allowed to show his progression more, and not just suddenly say he’s caught every pokemon from kanto to sinnoh when we weren’t looking.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Why introduce random Gallade guy when Gary is supposedly a rival again. In fact, why even have random Gallade guy exist. Does he bring anything to the table that makes him so important in the big picture other than maybe robing poor Wally of Mega Gallade.
So Farfetch'd can have it's own Rival I guess?

Pikachu - Leon's Charizard
Lucario - Bea's Grapploct
Farfetch'd - Rinto's Gallade

We just need Rivals for Gengar, Dragonite and Dracovish now.

Iris's Dragonite could be Dragonite's Rival

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Then stop watching? Like if you don't like the two main characters the show revolves aroun to any degree there really isn't much for you here unless you're really invested in Chloe there really isn't much to get excited about otherwise. Don't really get the concept of hate-watching media like that

I literally can't stop watching. I don't watch any other shows. Pokemon is the only long running show I have ever watched.

And I said I am indifferent to Gou now. If he does something that actually makes me interested, then good. If he doesn't, then it doesn't matter.

Ash will never be saved now.

Koharu keeps me interested so you are right about that.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I hate that Ash has Dracovish but I'll never approve of it never showing up.

If I have to deal with that thing it better be shoved down my throat.

Oh na, I'm not the same, if I hate a pokemon I never want to see it again lol. If I never see Piplup another day in my life it will be too soon for instance

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Get ready. Diamond and Pearl Remakes are on the way.

You know Dawn and Piplup will be back soon enough

That is literally the meanest thing you have ever said to me lol.

UnovaMaster

Stop making Cyndaquil fans out to be so intolerant

You could never design something better than Dracovish