• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The great Reserve debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowForce720

Seeing Bea use Hawlucha or Go get Heracross in the previous ep....it feels less likely for Ash's old pokemon to be used. It seems like the writers are content with showing old popular Ash pokemon through other characters.

May’s Bulbasaur and Squirtle didn’t prevent Ash’s Bulbasaur and Squirtle from returning nor did Dawn’s Cyndaquil prevent Ash’s Cyndaquil from evolving.

What Pokémon Go and other characters have, don’t have any impact on if Ash’s reserves are going to return or not.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Applecorp said:
I think we'll get to see some of Ash's Pokemon from the lab but maybe not until the end of Journeys when Ash has to fight champions including Leon.

For now he's better off working with his current team and making them stronger for the battles ahead.

I also think that they'll be saved for the final rounds of the World Championship. Right now I think Satoshi should focus on finalizing his team and giving Kairyu and Gangar more training: they might be fully-evolved Pokemon, but they could use some improvement.

Rohanator

Seeing Bea use Hawlucha or Go get Heracross in the previous ep....it feels less likely for Ash's old pokemon to be used. It seems like the writers are content with showing old popular Ash pokemon through other characters.
Well, Haruka had Bulbasaur and Squirtle and they still returned, so it's not like there's no precedence for the overlap. Like, it's a sound assumption to make about the writers motives, but you never know.

But yeah there's not much to debate here, sure this series seems the most probable since DP to actually bring the reserves back based on premise alone but aside from that I haven't seen any real reason to believe it'll happen, especially if Satoshi ends up catching more than 6 new Mons. It could, but there aren't many arguments you can make either way, it's all just repeat.

ShadowForce720

I mean Tomioka is writing the Bea episode, he knows Ash had Hawlucha in XY. It's not like it's a new writer with no knowledge of what Ash had in the past. If the writers are content showcasing old notable Ash pokemon through other characters, it just seems less likely for Ash's to eventually show up. Bringing up May/Dawn is pointless because during those sagas Ash brought back old pokemon and it was all game/remake promotion. Also remember how Shota had Sceptile in XY and not once was Ash's referenced or used.

They don’t have to reference Ash having a Pokémon when Ash see another individual of that Pokémon for Ash to bring back his reserves.

What Pokémon may be shown off by Go and other characters has no impact on Ash’s reserves. I mean heck a lot of Ash’s Pokémon that showed up during the Kanto Trip of Sun and Moon weren’t even mentioned or referenced and yet that didn’t prevent them from appearing.

Rohanator

I mean Tomioka is writing the Bea episode, he knows Ash had Hawlucha in XY. It's not like it's a new writer with no knowledge of what Ash had in the past. If the writers are content showcasing old notable Ash pokemon through other characters, it just seems less likely for Ash's to eventually show up. Bringing up May/Dawn is pointless because during those sagas Ash brought back old pokemon and it was all game/remake promotion. Also remember how Shota had Sceptile in XY and not once was Ash's referenced or used.
I mean you don't know whether this series is meant to be one where he eventually brings back reserves or not, if it is then it IS like May/Dawn, where they just don't care that there'll be overlap.

But yeah, I do agree that it's more likely that he just won't do it. Better to just give the new squad multiple battles, the execution was shaky in BW and XY but I think SM finally nailed it where everyone got a proper share, I'd honestly prefer this team got that as well rather than what happened to the DP team in the Sinnoh league, even if I'd still be hyped for reserves.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
The reserves should only be brought into the fray when the stakes require them. It's an easy way to ramp up the tensions and avoids making the competitors look weak. This is especially true when we get into the ultra class which will have stronger trainers.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
If his Alola team returns, then there's a chance his other Pokemon return, if they could show Go's Pokemon , so could Ash's. Surely, they appear briefly( and lately none), but we could see them as cameos at least and if Ash has battles 6 on 6 with stronger trainers, he needs to use Sceptile, Charizard, Infernape in their Mega/Giga/Dyna forms in order to win.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
They nodded at him owning Primeape in the Cubone episode, Ash was aware of how Mankey behave. And Primeape's really the only Mankey he's been around
They've just been flexible on this sort of stuff

Sidagam

Honestly, I just can't see it being that believable if Ash makes it to the top 8 WITHOUT using reserves in some way. He's going to be battling Elite 4 trainers and Champions. Catching a brand new team and having them Champion level ready in a year won't really sit right with me. He has to bring back some of the heavy hitters.

I've been OK with him not bringing back reserves before, and to be honest he probably would have won a few previous Leagues too easy with them. Take Kalos for instance. Replace Talonflame (not hating on Talonflame, I think it's great) with Charizard for that final battle with Alain, and Ash wins that match easy. Charizard isn't going to draw with an Unfezant.

We should get the Alola team coming up soon which will be cool, so hopefully that sets the stage for more reserves coming back. Greninja almost has to make a return due to popularity alone. Fingers crossed for an old Evolution or 2 (Gible please) but I won't get my hopes up for that too much.

So I think he should bring them back, and I really hope he does. But only for later in the series in Hyper and Master Class.

MartínK

Things that I would like even though it's not going to happen:

1. Pokemon that can evolve should probably evolve fairly early in the episode and then spend the rest of the episode focusing on its new form even competing in a PWC that barely raises Ash's rank so like by three spots. So from 949 to 946. The exception would be Quilava which should get some cool training in and some great screen time maybe even a PWC and then evolve and then continue to a presence for a few episodes.

Pokemon that I want to see evolve the most: Gible, Quilava, Totodile, Snivy, Palpitoad

2. Pokemon that need the screen time more like Typhlosion should definitely necessitate a few more episodes. After all Typhlosion has gotten the raw deal and could use more appearances. My only issue which I don't care is that its ANOTHER fully evolved fire starter, but in fairness it is Ash's only pure fire starter, since he didn't get Scorbunny.

3. If Ash will get Garchomp, I'll want Gible to evolve really quickly and then Ash uses Gabite for like 10 or so episodes and then have it evolve into Garchomp.

4. Pokemon that need screen time that can show up for a single PWC battle are where they at least beat a Pokemon: Kingler/Muk (1st generation), Donphan (2nd generation), Glalie/Torkoal (3rd Generation), Torterra (4th generation), Unfezant (5th generation), Noivern (6th generation), nothing for 7th generation for reasons I'll get to.

*NOTE* As you noticed the Pokemon I listed were NOT the most important Pokemon. I chose Pokemon I felt like got robbed the most, and would just be good to show off at least one massive victory. Major players will be different.

5. Reserves that need to participate in strong past generation battlers (including rivals): Charizard/Snorlax (1st Generation), Potential Typhlosion or Heracross (2nd Generation), Sceptile (3rd Generation), Infernape (4th Generation), Krookodile (5th generation), Greninja (6th generation), Incineroar / Melmetal (7th generation)

6. Pokemon that would be nice to get some battles or just really good appearances but aren't super important to me: Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Tauros (1st Generation), Bayleef/Noctowl (2nd Generation), Swellow (3rd generation), Staraptor/Buizel/Gliscor (4th generation), Oshawott/Scraggy/Leavanny (5th generation), Hawlucha (6th generation), Lycnaroc/Rowlett (7th generation).

Now if you noticed I really kind of left Boldore out (and other more meaningless Pokemon but Boldore does stand out). Look I would love for Boldore to come back and evolve into Gigalith. I don't know of anyone who prefers Boldore to Gigalith but I'm sure someone does, but I really want Gigalith. But I left it out because I just do not see it happening. Unless they want to introduce an anime only concept of evolving trade Pokemon without needing to trade.

If they do ignore reserves completely and I mean completely not even bringing back Gible and fully evolving it for example. Then there would be no reason WHY they shouldn't have Ash catch a lot.

At a certain point it's going to be annoying seeing Pikachu, Dragonite, Gengar, Lucario, Sirfetch'd, "Rillaboom" being used in EVERY single battle of the PWC including potential battles against Paul, Tobias, etc, etc.

So Ash might need 12 new captures to justify not using reserves. So he has around 2 team compositions well actually he only need 10 captures since Pikachu will take a slot. But I think 12 would be nice.

I also want that Ash fully evolved all his mons except for Pikachu, Bulbasaur (but at least evolve it to Ivysaur) and Rowlet (Although Decidueye is the third most popular mon of Alola but Rowlet is the second)

Pkjoan

Pokemon Master
Honestly, I just can't see it being that believable if Ash makes it to the top 8 WITHOUT using reserves in some way. He's going to be battling Elite 4 trainers and Champions. Catching a brand new team and having them Champion level ready in a year won't really sit right with me. He has to bring back some of the heavy hitters.

I've been OK with him not bringing back reserves before, and to be honest he probably would have won a few previous Leagues too easy with them. Take Kalos for instance. Replace Talonflame (not hating on Talonflame, I think it's great) with Charizard for that final battle with Alain, and Ash wins that match easy. Charizard isn't going to draw with an Unfezant.

We should get the Alola team coming up soon which will be cool, so hopefully that sets the stage for more reserves coming back. Greninja almost has to make a return due to popularity alone. Fingers crossed for an old Evolution or 2 (Gible please) but I won't get my hopes up for that too much.

So I think he should bring them back, and I really hope he does. But only for later in the series in Hyper and Master Class.

Not this time. I think Master Class is too much for his current team. I can only get hyped thinking about it.

Imagine Charizard fighting like Crazy. Infernape with his Blaze Mode, Ash Greninja with that epic XYZ theme. Man, I really want his old Pokemon back.

The staff have made it clear that Ash is likely not going to catch even a fraction of the Pokemon that go has so why not actually bring back some of his older Pokemon to act as generational Representatives?
Do we have staff confirmation?

I do prefer he use his reserve instead of catching too many new pokemons. Afterall, this series is culmination of his journeys, which also consist of them. The reserve is already enough to represent older generations, no need to catch at least 1 pokemon from each generations to represent them.

It's already been confirmed that this series is not only for Gen 8 but future Generations
Do we also have confirmation for this?

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
LucasMV said:
Since Sinnoh, to be fair. He did use his reserves for the League there. And also brought Charizard back in Unova, but only after the League ended and it didn't do anything important so yeah...

I'll never quite understand why Lizardon was brought back in BW when it hardly did anything meaningful, and I still think that if it hadn't returned, Chaoboo might've evolved since the fully-evolved Fire Starter spot on Satoshi's BW team would've been vacant.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
I'll never quite understand why Lizardon was brought back in BW when it hardly did anything meaningful, and I still think that if it hadn't returned, Chaoboo might've evolved since the fully-evolved Fire Starter spot on Satoshi's BW team would've been vacant.
Eh idk if it would’ve since I assume the writers at the time wanted to make the BW like the OS like with the three starters but then found out that Emboar will never be Charizard and just went “forget about it”. Although I do think one of the things that had to get scrapped in the BW saga due to the earthquake and nuclear disaster was evolutions but ofc we’ll never know since there are no records or interviews regarding on what the original storyline contained. It was just obvious.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
It's kinda bad that Ash only used reserves twice: Johto and Sinnoh in the leagues. Now sure, he used some of them in BF too and Charizard in Unova( after the league). Go proved that writers can easily show reserves( if they can show Go's 20 Pokemon before( now they don't show them , idk why). They can easily show at least 10 of Ash's older Pokemon for PWC at least Top 8 if Ash gets to that.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Ash must use the reserves if he wants to defeat Leon. Just depending on his new Pokemon would get very boring eventually!!

Only get boring once we actually see the ones not named Pikachu having more than just one or two wins under their belt.

We don't need Charizard coming in or worse, Greninja doing that.... again.

It'd be boring if Ash just used his reserves, it'd come off as one of those **** fanfics where they just evolve everything Ash has! Especially as his win/loss ratio is exactly like a Ash worship fic right now

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Ash must use the reserves if he wants to defeat Leon. Just depending on his new Pokemon would get very boring eventually!!
And using the same reserves will get 20 times more boring. Theres no difference. Who tf wants to constantly see Greninja and Charizard (who are the most likely to return) again when they’re the definition of screenhoggers and leading to the rest of their original teams getting shafted. And I only want to see reserves that have been underutilized to return and be used, maybe even constantly like Gible and Snivy which one had little due to being a late capture and the other got outright shafted. Evolve them offscreen or not, just bring back and actually get used and shine and not get cursed with being shafted or late capture syndrome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.