• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The great Reserve debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red and Blue

Since reserves are on the table what should his final team going up against Leon? If there was a time to form a "Ultimate team" now would be it

Red and Blue

I haven’t seen anyone mention this but this increases the chances even more for Ash’s Melmetal returning to GMax (not that it was an exactly small chance in the first place).
What's great is that Melmetal isn't the only reserve with a Gigantamax form. GMAX Snorlax and Kingler are also on the table for Ash as well

I feel like since we may see more of his reserves, that we will at least see some of them shine at some point in his PWC battles, so that even if some of them aren't used against Leon, at least they'll accomplish something by beating some of the other tougher competitors, while also giving his Journeys/PM2019 mons some more chances to shine as well.

I'm just looking forward to seeing just how many reserves get to battle. Hopefully it'll be a decent amount like during the DP days or Battle Frontier days.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Didn’t even think about that. I’d love for Ash to debut GMax Kingler
They need to remember the thing exists first lul.

That doesn't appeal to me much given that the powerful ones already received so much attention in previous sagas. It's the smaller underrated ones that deserve the chance to do more, although unfortunately I feel that the Goukazaru episode pretty much set the precedent for which reserves will get relevant screen-time.
Yeah I agree with wanting to see some of his "underrated" Pokemon, or Pokemon that didn't get much attention be used so that they have an opportunity to shine, or get more screen-time. But at this point I don't know what to expect from Journeys. I don't know, I feel like his current team is also lacking in terms of screen-time.

Which leads me to believe that I would have rather had Ash just use his reserves for this "world championships" challenge, similar to how he used reserves in the Battle Frontier days. Or even like during the Sinnoh League.

karanova-1

Mewtwo3214
That would have been appropriate if he had use his reserves for the pwc battles still I think it is not too late and it will be good if it will be a mixture of his current journeys team with his reserves as he will have more options and more variety in his pokemons so he can choose for all his pwc battles

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Considering how they're already giving out major wins for Ash's team already(Dragonite, Pikachu, Lucario and I think soon Gengar) I think it's still not late enough to dream?

Torpoleon

Considering how they're already giving out major wins for Ash's team already(Dragonite, Pikachu, Lucario and I think soon Gengar) I think it's still not late enough to dream?
If he does use reserves (which I still hope he does), it would make sense for them to be used in the Masters 8. Using them now would be like him using them for a gym battle, whereas using them for Masters 8 is like using them in the league.

I really just want to see him use Pikachu, Charizard, Sceptile Infernape, Greninja and Lucario/Snorlax/Dragonite/Anything else (not to picky about the 6th) against Cynthia. Anything else is just icing on the cake for me.

TheNewGuy

It would be beyond confusing and frustrating if he makes top 8, has 3 full battles (QF/SF/Final) and uses the same 6 every time. He absolutely has to dip into his reserves at that point. Has to.

It's also worth pointing out that Ash's team lacks common typings such as Grass, Fire etc, while having two Dragons, two fighting-types, a steel. It's certainly a very unusual construction. I can't imagine he's going into full battles with such a strange, borderline redundant team. Surely you only need one Dragon and one fighter in a 6-on-6.

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

It would be beyond confusing and frustrating if he makes top 8, has 3 full battles (QF/SF/Final) and uses the same 6 every time. He absolutely has to dip into his reserves at that point. Has to.

It's also worth pointing out that Ash's team lacks common typings such as Grass, Fire etc, while having two Dragons, two fighting-types, a steel. It's certainly a very unusual construction. I can't imagine he's going into full battles with such a strange, borderline redundant team. Surely you only need one Dragon and one fighter in a 6-on-6.
He literally went into two full battles in the Kalos league with a team that had 2 Dragon type Pokémon and 3 Flying type Pokémon. Not to forget mention the fact that the team he used against Paul in the Sinnoh team had him using 2 Flying type Pokémon and 2 Ground type Pokémon.

Now I’m not saying that Ash couldn’t use reserves in the Master Class however just because Ash has two Fighting types and 2 Dragon type Pokémon and no Fire and Grass type Pokémon on his current team doesn’t mean that he will use reserves in the Master Class.

Also I’m just going to tell you right now whether he uses he reserves or not at least one but probably more of his battles in the Master Class will have him with teams that have mons that will overlap in type.

TheNewGuy

He literally went into two full battles in the Kalos league with a team that had 2 Dragon type Pokémon and 3 Flying type Pokémon. Not to forget mention the fact that the team he used against Paul in the Sinnoh team had him using 2 Flying type Pokémon and 2 Ground type Pokémon.

Now I’m not saying that Ash couldn’t use reserves in the Master Class however just because Ash has two Fighting types and 2 Dragon type Pokémon and no Fire and Grass type Pokémon on his current team doesn’t mean that he will use reserves in the Master Class.

Also I’m just going to tell you right now whether he uses he reserves or not at least one but probably more of his battles in the Master Class will have him with teams that have mons that will overlap in type.

I did consider Kalos, but that was a self-contained season and Flying doesn't really "count" - it's mostly a secondary typing. Meanwhile this season has showed the reserves, albeit briefly, and has covered all the regions.

Anyway I think you're misunderstanding me - the typing doesn't guarantee anything, but it would be very, very dumb when he blatantly has other options and the writers aren't constrained by a "contained" season/region like Kalos. I loved his Kalos team even though it was unbalanced and wish he'd caught a 7th or 8th, grounded Pokemon to replace one of the fliers. Either way, yeah, not a guarantee, just pointing out his team misses out some stuff you'd normally expect while repeating some more unusual types. Which to me indicates he'd be dipping into reserves for at least some of his matches.

If he does use reserves (which I still hope he does), it would make sense for them to be used in the Masters 8. Using them now would be like him using them for a gym battle, whereas using them for Masters 8 is like using them in the league.

I really just want to see him use Pikachu, Charizard, Sceptile Infernape, Greninja and Lucario/Snorlax/Dragonite/Anything else (not to picky about the 6th) against Cynthia. Anything else is just icing on the cake for me.

And this is a continuation of that. I don't think you need Zard and Ape in the same team given the variety of types he has available. I wouldn't hate it - I love both - but you could easily have Zard in one team and Ape in another.

But him facing Cynthia with Lucario AND Sirfetch'd, Dragonite AND Dracovish, just seems silly.

I'd also love to see Bulbasaur and Squirtle but something tells me they're unlikely.

So maybe something like this...

Team 1: Infernape, Dragonite, Pikachu, Snorlax, Krookodile, Staraptor

Pikachu and either Staraptor or Krookodile as a fall guy, Infernape/Dragonite get 2 KOs each, a big KO for Snorlax (their ace maybe), and the other one of Staraptor/Krook get another KO.

Team 2: Dracovish, Sirfetch'd, Melmetal, Talonflame/Noivern, (G-Max) Gengar, Tauros/Muk/Kingler/Leavanny (that spot is really open, didn't know what to put there)

I think G-Max Gengar being used is important and gives him a chance to shine. Whoever is in the wildcard there would be a bit out of place and you could probably just use Lucario or something again instead, though Muk or Kingler would be great Indigo league callbacks. Not sure about a fall guy in this one, probably Talonflame/Noivern and the wildcard.

Team 3: Charizard, (Mega) Lucario, (G-Max) Pikachu, Lycanroc, Swellow, Sceptile

Lycanroc and Swellow are credible Pokemon but work as fall guys, giving Luke, Sceptile, Zard and Pikachu at least one KO each. You could swap Dracovish and Sceptile if you wanted to put more of his current team in the final match. Pikachu is the only one to be used twice. Probably Lucario would be used twice too given how much love it's gotten, but who knows. For the purposes of this I'm also assuming Greninja and Goodra aren't returning.

Obviously if it was just one match I'd shove the very best all on one team but let's spread this around a bit. Three full battles, minimum two episodes each, dip into the reserves, Ash becomes world champion and we get to see a real last hurrah for more than just his current team - a celebration of his history across all regions.

Ofc I doubt they'll have Ash construct the team based on types, and dip so heavily into the reserves, but that to me is the ideal - a reasonably sensible mix that really takes full advantage of the show's history, while showcasing his current team at least once per match, and with every team having fall guys. Also, in keeping with the current intrinsic credibility of his team, he uses fully evolved Pokemon across the board here (apart from Pikachu obviously).

(If he's battling Raihan or Lance then it would obv make more sense to bring Pokémon that can beat dragons. In that case Glalie would be welcome, or more Dracovish obviously.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.