• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The great Reserve debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucasMV

Totally agree. However, in order to showcase this growth, they would need Alain to step in and defeat one of the big wigs like Cynthia or Steven in an actual battle.
As of now, he is far less established than everyone in the master class with the exception of Iris. Hence, Ash battling him in the first round would be underwhelming.
Yes, I get where you're coming from. If the tournament's format is the most speculated one, and Ash just has 3 battles including Leon, then I think I'd prefer it if Ash's first battle was against Cynthia (and there we could see Paul return in preparation for that fight). And they could have Alain fight Steven and win this time, to show how much he's grown. Then a semifinal with Ash vs Alain would feel like a bigger deal.

Belowski

Yes, I get where you're coming from. If the tournament's format is the most speculated one, and Ash just has 3 battles including Leon, then I think I'd prefer it if Ash's first battle was against Cynthia (and there we could see Paul return in preparation for that fight). And they could have Alain fight Steven and win this time, to show how much he's grown. Then a semifinal with Ash vs Alain would feel like a bigger deal.
I don't think losing in the first round would do Cynthia justice. Ash beating her in the semifinals is one thing, but the only dignified way for her to go out in the first round is against Leon.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
I don't think losing in the first round would do Cynthia justice. Ash beating her in the semifinals is one thing, but the only dignified way for her to go out in the first round is against Leon.
And if Ash beats Leon, she’ll be the third best Champion. At least if Ash beats both Leon and Cynthia, they can battle each other to see who is second best.

desdar300

How's the cope going fellas?

I just saw that new title where the Masters 8 seemingly is starting directly after the Paul episode

Doctor Mal

For a long time, I’ve wanted reserves and continuity to be more prevalent in the anime.

I can think of dozens and dozens of episodes where Ash could have brought back a reserve to either teach one of his current generation Pokémon, help him win a battle, to show off to his current companions, etc.

^ I think, perhaps, if the anime had been written more consistently, that could have been easily accomplished.

And to be fair, up until the end of DP, there was a minimal continuity level and reserves did make infrequent appearances and/or were acknowledged.

Since then, it has just become much more rare. It just is what it is.

I think it would have been great if Journeys had a two-parter full battle where Ash battled an E4 like Flint with some of his OG powerhouses like Bulbasaur, Snorlax, Heracross, Swellow, Glalie, and Gliscor.

I don’t expect it though. None of the target audience were even alive/were just babies when those Pokémon were battling on screen. Even Ash-Greninja and the end of XYZ was 5.5 years ago.

Would it make sense if Ash’s Journey squad took down the likes Cynthia or Leon?

Probably not.

However, there’s no point worrying about power levels or reserves. If the plot demanded for Ash to win this tournament, he will with this team, whether he had reserves or not.

I’ll hope for more reserves, but don’t expect them. I just want to see some good battles and for Ash to get a respectable ending in this tournament/series.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
My prediction for Ash's team vs Cynthia:

Totodile, Gible, Bayleef, Pikachu, Donphan, Torkoal
My prediction: his current team. I doubt he's using reserves so his win against her will feel so unrealistic and unearned imo.

desdar300

I guess it really depends because if the Masters Tournament really starts with directly after the paul episode then we can kiss a good-bye officially.

Last edited:
My expected match-ups:

Quarters:
Ash vs Lance
Alain vs Steven
Leon vs Iris
Diantha vs Cynthia

Semis:
Ash vs Cynthia
Leon vs Alain

Finals:
Ash vs Leon

There's also another way one can look at it, maybe since the Paul match-up involves Garchomp, it's in preparation for a potential Cynthia vs Ash first round match-up? In that case:

Quarters:
Ash vs Cynthia
Alain vs Steven
Iris vs Lance
Leon vs Diantha

Semis:
Ash vs Alain
Leon vs Iris

Final:
Ash vs Leon

Narratively, I think this is my preferred bracket and reserves would be a lot more likely if this was it. I believe the former is more likely to happen though.

As far as who wins, I'm of the opinion that Ash will either win or tie. Don't think I'm going to make a prediction on which will happen yet.

Desgard

I guess it really depends because if the Masters Tournament really starts with directly after the paul episode then we can kiss a good-bye officially.
You do realize Paul's episode is at Oak's lab right? He can rotate Pokemon in during the tournament.

Do you guys think Greninja's coming back?

At first I thought so, but it's not even in the OP anymore so now Idk...
If Ash faces Alan. it's obvious. They simply removed the scene of it in the woods which is not relevant.

desdar300

You do realize Paul's episode is at Oak's lab right? He can rotate Pokemon in during the tournament.

If Ash faces Alan. it's obvious. They simply removed the scene of it in the woods which is not relevant.
Are you that one guy that keeps changing his account every 2 seconds?

Regardless, I have no reason to believe he's bringing back his Reserves

Status
Not open for further replies.