• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Greatest Pokémon Type

Keikari

The Greatest Pokémon Type

What do you guys think is the greatest Pokémon type? In this instance, I ask which conclusion did you objectively come to? This can include not only type effectiveness, but overall stats and overall capabilities of the Pokémon which have the type you are speaking of.

For me, I chose the Water type. Water is one of the most type-neutral elements in the game, only being resisted by 3 types. Two of the types that resists it are Dragon and Grass, but that isn't usually a problem for Water types since most have the potential to learn Ice moves. Because of this, Water types for the most part only have to worry about other Water types resisting their attacks. Also, Water types are well rounded Pokémon, many of which are both bulky and pack a decent punch. Since the water types are well rounded, this allows many of them to have potential roles to play in battle which they can manage pull off.

Which type do you think is the greatest out of all other types? I'd love to spark a discussion.

Truly Deceptive

It is I: ME!
Dragon WAS until X & Y came out with their stupid f#@%ing type chart...

You've presented an excellent argument in their favor. Psychic-types were pretty awesome in Gen I, but they've probably been getting overnerfed ever since Gen II with limited/insubstantial (or, at least, disproportionate) compensation. Since then on, I'd have to say that the Fighting-type has quite a bit running in its favor, and I might have mentioned Dark, if it was not for its new weakness to Fairy-types and pitiful offensive advantages/disadvantages in comparison with its weaknesses (Fighting-type was quite enough for it to deal with). Steel is certainly the best defensive type, and, now, it's received another advantage in its strength against another, new offensive type (Fairy); I believe the game has been getting offbalanced by it lately (I would have preferred that Game Freak had only made Fairy-types weak to Poison-types, or, perhaps, another type, such as a reciprocal 2x weakness between it and Dark or Dragon, but, of course, not both, or perhaps Psychic, or even Flying or Electric). Also, the Ground-type had quite a bit going for it since last Gen (or was it something in Gen IV?)...

Ones which are out of the question to me: Bug (thank God; they generally have pitiful stats, save for Volcarona and perhaps Genesect, and even Yanmega, Scizor, et cetera are a bit lacking; their boosts and some Steel/Bug defenses made them a force to be reckoned with in Gen V, and maybe even overpowered, but, now, they have some competition to face with considering that they've gained virtually no change), Normal (no offensive advantages = it's probably never going to get anywhere; I mean, just look at Blissey and Snorlax since Gen IV... It would have been awesome if they had gained a type advantage against Fairy), Psychic (overnerfed and been drifting further and further out of the fray ever since), and Poison (it may have a new advantage against Fairy-types, but no one's ever heavily used them, and the overrated Steel-types share their new advantage against Fairy-types).

Mrmuffin123

First Male Swiftie
rock. Most of the rock pokemon pretty awesome in terms of attack and defence. i mean rhyperior, golem and tyranitar are monsters to get past of you've only stocked physical attacker. not only that, but in sandstorm their sp defence is raised by 50%. helpful for rhyperiors as his sp defence is pitiful. and then x and y comes alone with assault vest and boy has it made its mark in competitive battling. need i say more?

SiLeNtDeViL609

High Five The Sky!!!
I think that Flying types are the greatest type, they have the highest average speed. Also a huge variety of moves and can be versatile with the types.

Keikari

Although their Special Defense would be boosted with the Assault Vest, lacking Leftovers on a defensive Pokemon isn't exactly the best idea if it lacks a recovery move (and last time I recall, most, if not all Rock types lack a recovery move). Sure, you can add Chansey, Blissey, Umbreon, etc. which can aid with Wish, however, Rock types do have a considerable deal of weaknesses. Putting aside Water, Grass and Ground, Fighting types alone have a great potential to halt Rock types. Fighting types resist Rock STAB and are super effective with their own stab. Rock types mostly lack Flying and Psychic moves, so they, most of the time would be as good as dead. The same goes with the Steel type, though most of Steel's offensive moves blow chunks.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
While the Pokémon the selves are generally mediocre, I'd have to go with Bug.

They are SE against Grass, Dark, and Psychic, the last two bei commonly used (along with SE against Poison in Gen I, which was the most plentiful Type back then.)
They resist common Types like Fighting and Ground, along with Grass.

Their weaknesses, however, are comprised of Fire, Flying, and Rock, all of which are commonly used, but because Bug is commonly paired with other Types, these Weaknesses usually aren't there.

Along with that, Ground, Fighting and Ice, for their offensive capabilities, and Steel and Grass for their defense are very good.
Fairy, however, is probably one of the best Types, trumping Dragon, Fighting, and Dark, and only being weak to the rare Poison and Steel Types.

Izayoi

The Sealed Weapon
I'm going to exclude Fairy-types since it's been pretty much accepted that they are a pretty strong typing by many people.

So that leaves me with the other types...I believe Ghost is a bit on the strong side ever since Steel lost its resistance to it. I don't think they are overpowered, per se, but the change most certainly made it really tough on Steel/Psychics. Poor Jirachi..

Ditto B1tch

Dragons are still being the best though with fairy type coming out.

Countering a fairy types isn't a problem for Pokemons with massive stats and large movepool.

Ultimate Champion

The Great Pokémon Master
You know that dragons are mythical POKéMON! They're hard to catch and raise, but their powers are superior! They're virtually indestructible!

HazPaX

Attack pros & cons

Electric moves are super-effective against:

WATER FLYING
Electric moves are not very effective against:

ELECTRIC GRASS DRAGON
Electric moves have no effect on:

GROUND
Defense pros & cons

These types are not very effective against Electric Pokémon:

ELECTRIC FLYING STEEL
These types are super-effective against Electric Pokémon: