• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Greatest Z in Alola! Tapu Koko VS Pikachu! (1087)

Mr-Nightmare_420

Just a dude who enjoys pokemon
God tier animation and God tier music for a God tier episode.

dman_dustin

Did they at least explain how Ash is able to do that Z-Move or not?

There wasn't really time.

But I think we have to assume that the reason Ash can use that particular Z-move, is what was to be expected for a Z-move that was clearly designed for Ash and his Pikachu. It's the bond between the Trainer and Pokemon (Ash and Pikachu). Ash's bond with his Pikachu is that powerful that it can create a new Z-move just for them using Electrium-Z as a base.

I didn't see if the Z-crystal reverted would be nice if it permanently stayed.

VoltTacklingPika

Sun&Moon absolutely does it again, as expected.

This was such a rewarding series to follow and there was too much to love about this penultimate fight, guess this means my boy is the true champ of the entire affair without a fact. Everything mattered in this region and everything paid off.

I do like how this battle tied up a few things. One of Ash's first failures in Alola was losing to Tapu Koko and having his Electrium-Z break because he hadn't earned the right to use it. Following that, he earns the right by clearing all the trials, and uses the power to overcome increasingly difficult challenges, culminating in the ultimate victory against the one Pokemon he couldn't beat. Then you've got the whole Kukui/Incineroar thing. Kukui wanted to battle Ash as early as episode two, but didn't get the chance. Thankfully, they have their battle on a grander stage, and Ash's Incineroar defeats his greatest rival. In the end, Ash and Kukui are both very satisfied, having gotten what they both wanted out of the battle.

The Alola League as a whole was a good story. I know people complain about the quality of the battles, but as a culmination for everyone's story, I thought it was a strong league.

Not outright, but the Tapus replenished everyone's Z-Power, so we can just assume it came from that.

thedarkdragon11

P4P Elite
Thank god Ash actually got to beat everyone he lost to this time.

Except Dia...

Ash won? Ash beat an in game regional champ? He won a league and a regional champ? ........ Feels so weird lol.

You can say that he beat both in-game "Interim" champs (Prof. Kukui and Hau)... But they aren't as strong as their in-game counterparts in the anime...

Yeah man Ash seems sad. He's accomplished everything he could have in Alola. Maybe now its time for him to leave and he's becoming sad upon the thought of leaving Alola as he has had so much fun here.

Can't blame him, he already slayed all the powerful trainers in the region... But I guess someone will "convince" him to travel because it would look "rude" if he chooses to leave Alola (for that very reason) by himself...

I'm certain this is one of the highest forms of Pikachu we've seen, maybe DP is better by a little but Ash literally just showed why he deserves the champion title.

Almost as good as DP Peakachu but definitely better than XY Peakachu... Hope to see SwSh Peakachu in the next series...

They didn't... It seems random all the time... Though this time, the Guardians somewhat activated the full potential of Ash and Prof. Kukui Z-powers... I hope Pikashunium Z is permanent now...

DatsRight

The Alola League as a whole was a good story. I know people complain about the quality of the battles, but as a culmination for everyone's story, I thought it was a strong league.

I think it's one of those premises where there are downsides, but you can see how each and every one of them had some form of necessity for the storytelling and they tried to compensate their best as things went along (eg. the battles starting off novice to work with the less experienced competitors, but then really picking up when it was left to just the pros, Lycanroc being sidelined to let other Pokemon get in wins, but to compensate making his one win THE MOST IMPORTANT). It was a divisive premise, but you can tell the writers really thought through how they'd set it all up.

The only real way they could have made the league work spotlessly is if it had one extra round to it or allowed bigger teams, which given the arc's size already, wouldn't have been practical, even less so if it would have been a standard league where the companions spent the entire thing just watching.

Last edited:

dman_dustin

It started off weak, and there was some mishaps here and there.

But it most definitely ended extremely strong. Ash finally winning a league, and then defeating Kukui as a mirror to the actual games where in the games (at least) you become the champion after defeating Kukui.

Ash might not be the champion of the Alola region in title, but he definitely deserves to be considered the Champion of the Alola region (at least until he vacates his power by leaving).

VoltTacklingPika

I think it's one of those premises where there are downsides, but you can see how each and every one of them had some form of necessity for the storytelling and they tried to compensate their best as things went along (eg. the battles starting off novice to work with the less experienced competitors, but then really picking up when it was left to just the pros, Lycanroc being sidelined to let other Pokemon get in wins, but to compensate making his one win THE MOST IMPORTANT). It was a divisive premise, but you can tell the writers really thought through how they'd set it all up.

The only real way they could have made the league work spotlessly is if it had one extra round to it or allowed bigger teams, which given the arc's size already, wouldn't have been practical, even less so if it would have been a standard league where the companions spent the entire thing just watching.

I understand why everyone wasn't happy with the format, but I do think the 1v1/3v3 streamlined the whole experience. Those early fights were as long/short as they needed to be. Like, you don't need Mallow vs Lana, Gladion vs Lillie or Sophocles vs Kiawe to be anything more than 1v1. SM focused on their bond with just one Pokemon, so they gave that one Pokemon every chance to shine at the end. I have complaints about how the characters were handled throughout the show, but I was happy that everyone at least got something out of the experience.

It's noticeable how the standard of battling went up as the competition progressed, which is exactly how it should have been. Ash goes from winning because his Meltan ate Faba's Hypno's pendant to busting out the full range of his ability against Kukui, with every one of his team getting a strong showing.

It started off weak, and there was some mishaps here and there.

But it most definitely ended extremely strong. Ash finally winning a league, and then defeating Kukui as a mirror to the actual games where in the games (at least) you become the champion after defeating Kukui.

Ash might not be the champion of the Alola region in title, but he definitely deserves to be considered the Champion of the Alola region (at least until he vacates his power by leaving).

I agree. It was a slow burn. I can see how people wouldn't care about some of the earlier matches and it took a while for the really meaty match-ups to happen. And there were certainly a few contrivances here and there.

I came away satisfied, though. The impact of Ash finally winning a league, and then defeating Kukui/Tapu Koko afterwards cannot be understated. It elevates the whole league imo.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
I'm certain this is one of the highest forms of Pikachu we've seen, maybe DP is better by a little but Ash literally just showed why he deserves the champion title.
If i have to say, SM Ash is more about Raw Power, while DP Ash was more about maturity and unique strategies. But both should be similar in terms of overall strength.

Not directly, but the dance and singing that the Tapu's did clearly revived the strength of both Kukui and Ash to use a Z-Move again (especially considering that both of their Z-Ring started to shine and then Tapu Koko gave Kukui "Tapunium Z" right after that).

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Pikachu winning it all at the end is how this whole things should have ended, I swear to god. Pikachu is Satoshi’s ride-or-die and there’s no reason to sideline this mouse or undersell who he is. I am so happy they both got to pull off that Z-Move and wrap this fight while carrot dog got to win the entire league itself. No bond or lore or narrative some come close to what these boys share and have been through since the beginning of their journey together. Sun&Moon has been good to the mouse, most Pikachu love I’ve seen since BW. Beating an Electric-type god of the region is just pure icing on a cake of satisfaction.

Always bet on Pikachu!

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
Real talk this episode was stunning and seeing Ash win AGAIN is so satisfying, that entire z-move sequence with the music and flashback was amazing, and Naganadel got some of the best animation in the series in it's battle too. I am seriously not emotionally prepared for this series to end at all but right now I'm so happy the final battle (not counting Kiawe I guess lol) ended with such a bang. I've been critical of how many fights Pikachu has been in this series before but this one felt absolutely earned. Simply beautiful.

Pokeballs

Custom Torkoal 01
Sun&Moon absolutely does it again, as expected.

This was such a rewarding series to follow and there was too much to love about this penultimate fight, guess this means my boy is the true champ of the entire affair without a fact. Everything mattered in this region and everything paid off.

Penultimate? Is there another fight?

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Penultimate? Is there another fight?
I meant “ultimate” freakin’ correction app on my phone.

Ash's love for Alola is so pure and genuine, it can stop time itself just so he and Pikachu can have a conversation.

Good boys. Good battle. Good Kamehame Thunderbolt.
ca8111078b7120cc3e732eb0d23ea5bfd69ae2b5.gif

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
That’s pretty cool how Ash intentionally used Dragon Pulse to create the smoke despite the move being ineffective against Tapu Koko. He adapted his mistake from using Sludge Bomb on Lucario into being able to hit Tapu Koko with X-Scissor.