• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Greatest Z in Alola! Tapu Koko VS Pikachu! (1087)

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Perhaps this is just me, but the episode didn't feel as blood-pumpingly exciting as I was expecting it to be, mostly because Naganadel went down too quickly and that exposition before Pikachu and Tapu Koko's Z-move (which was probably necessary, quite frankly).

Those two flaws aside, though...I can now officially say that Ash vs Kukui has taken the throne from Ash vs Roxie as my favorite battle in the entire series. There was good strategy throughout, everyone got a part to play, the pacing was (mostly) sublime, we saw an Empoleon for the first time in a decade...and that ENDING. THAT ENDING, man. It was just...wow.

(Also, add one more to Pikachu's list of defeated legendaries! I never thought they'd actually do it, but they did it! They beat Tapu Koko! And thus, all the rivalries have been settled.)

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Highlights for me was the animation (look how intense Ash and Kukui get once GOA and 10VT clash) and how everyone reacts to Ash winning. Especially Kiawe crying.

This episode didn’t top Ash vs Paul for me but it’s probably the runner up in terms of battles

Zipper4242

Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.
Without question this was the most epic SM episode. Was it just the full ending Type: Wild that they used or did they remix it specifically for this episode? Whatever the case, I no longer fault them for using the Ash-Greninja theme instead of Type: Wild because I am SO SO SO glad they saved it! I haven't felt this on edge since Kalos League! Such a great episode!

In terms of character, SM is doing a fantastic job and I can only hope the new series does half the job. The emotions that were in this episode were ones that I NEVER would have expected three years ago when the animation style was announced and the series began with the slapsticky tone that it had for the first few episodes. This is probably my second or third favorite battle now after Ash vs Paul and Ash vs Sawyer. Totally surpassed anything in BF and even the Orange League final. I am impressed by the quality of this episode. My only question now is what will happen to the Z-Ring to ensure that Ash doesn't go Z-Move Peakachu on the first gym leader in Galar.

Without question this was the most epic SM episode. Was it just the full ending Type: Wild that they used or did they remix it specifically for this episode? Whatever the case, I no longer fault them for using the Ash-Greninja theme instead of Type: Wild because I am SO SO SO glad they saved it! I haven't felt this on edge since Kalos League! Such a great episode!

In terms of character, SM is doing a fantastic job and I can only hope the new series does half the job. The emotions that were in this episode were ones that I NEVER would have expected three years ago when the animation style was announced and the series began with the slapsticky tone that it had for the first few episodes. This is probably my second or third favorite battle now after Ash vs Paul and Ash vs Sawyer. Totally surpassed anything in BF and even the Orange League final. I am impressed by the quality of this episode. My only question now is what will happen to the Z-Ring to ensure that Ash doesn't go Z-Move Peakachu on the first gym leader in Galar.
Ash will leave the ring behind so he can start over fresh as usual

nuzamaki90

I was so hyped when Tapu Koko fainted. Jumped up and yelled “yes!” just like when Ash won the League. Totally satisfying.

These last four battles really made the Alola League for me. I was complaining like a cranky grandpa for the past 3 months but from the Semi Finals to the Exhibition Match, the Alola League is definitely in my Top 3 favorite Pokémon Leagues.

Amazing and absolute kino episode, from beginning to end, couldn’t have asked for a better way for this to end.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
All hail Champion Ash!! He did it once again! What an incredible battle! The moment Ash and Pikachu laid right next to each other signified how far they’ve came and how all that pain, struggle, joy, and hard work paid off in the end. This was so satisfying! I knew you could do it!:D Congratulations Ash and Pikachu!

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Kukui's face when he realizes what Tapu Koko just handed him.

"Are you serious? I get to use that move?"

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
It's interesting that we did not see the battle screen once the battle was over. There might be 2 logical reasons:
1. The Z-moves Clash destroyed it.
2. It will have its shot early next week.

It will be a big dissapointment not to show it...
I'm still thinking about making a collage of all battle screen captions from this battle.

TheNewGuy

I felt Pikachu vs Tapu Koko lacked substance over style

You could say that for sure - but I think it tried to, to make up for the relative lack of tension in an exhibition match by making it the ultimate summation of Sun and Moon, by having it be the absolute finale (we only have epilogue left now), by using Tapu's status as the embodiment of Alola to make Ash remember everything that happened in the saga. It lacked a pure, interesting character dynamic but succeeded magnificently at capping this saga, and that's substance enough for me.

And goddamn did it look and feel so damn good. That finale was unreal. So good. I have been the chief exponent of Ash vs. Paul since the moment it aired. In nearly a decade this is the only battle to come close. It might be better, I dunno. Exceptional stuff.

Congratulations to all involved for raising the bar. This was a rousing triumph.

Edit: I kind of want to hold a bracket-style tournament on the board, like a 32-entrant single elimination tournament to find out Serebii's ultimate favourite battle. We could hold nominations and have daily matches with the users voting.

But I dunno how to host such a thing without disrupting the entire board with multiple topics. Any interest in this? Mods, any ideas on the logistics?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
You could say that for sure - but I think it tried to, to make up for the relative lack of tension in an exhibition match by making it the ultimate summation of Sun and Moon, by having it be the absolute finale (we only have epilogue left now), by using Tapu's status as the embodiment of Alola to make Ash remember everything that happened in the saga. It lacked a pure, interesting character dynamic but succeeded magnificently at capping this saga, and that's substance enough for me.

And goddamn did it look and feel so damn good. That finale was unreal. So good. I have been the chief exponent of Ash vs. Paul since the moment it aired. In nearly a decade this is the only battle to come close. It might be better, I dunno. Exceptional stuff.

Congratulations to all involved for raising the bar. This was a rousing triumph.

Edit: I kind of want to hold a bracket-style tournament on the board, like a 32-entrant single elimination tournament to find out Serebii's ultimate favourite battle. We could hold nominations and have daily matches with the users voting.

But I dunno how to host such a thing without disrupting the entire board with multiple topics. Any interest in this? Mods, any ideas on the logistics?
Well, there's the faceoff forum in the games section, but many users that went there left the site recently

TheNewGuy

Well, there's the faceoff forum in the games section, but many users that went there left the site recently

If there's enough interest maybe we could even ask for a separate board to be made. Or I could just put the whole thing in anime polls but the vote totals would likely be low.

Never mind, totally off topic.

Pikachu looked so dominant here, maybe legitimately the strongest he's ever been even before the crazy z-move.