• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Greatest Z in Alola! Tapu Koko VS Pikachu! (1087)

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
So is it now ok to put Pikachu in the S-tier for Ash’s pokémon?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
So is it now ok to put Pikachu in the S-tier for Ash’s pokémon?
Pikachu has always been number one. This was just him reasserting his dominance.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Do you think Tapus also restored Pikachu's and Koko's HP or only the Z-Power?

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Honestly the only slight downer during the climax was hearing Shoko’s version of Type: Wild, really should have used Rica Matsumoto’s or just Your Adventure because no shade to Ms. Nakagawa but it’s just not a great rendition. Hell during the climax against Mimikyu I swear Future Connection suited the vibe and finish strongly enough.

Soniman

Break the Limit
So uhhh...yeah....wow.

WOW wow wow.

Gotta say I was preparing for the hype but it still managed to surprise me. I expected Nagandel to go down pretty quickly but what I got was a incredibly intense high speed arieal battle that was amazingly animated. That UB got GOOD time to shine before going down.

But that last battle THAT LAST BATTLE. When type wild started I cheered, when 100 million votes started I cheered. My heart was racing I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I can't believe I got yo witness what was probably the best collection of Ash/Pikachu moments all in one episode, all those emotions all those feelings. Alola being so lovingly well...LOVED by its characters it's such an amazing region, so much culture and bonds with nature and all that stuff and it all felt amazingly represented here. TYPE WILD being the climax song was what I was waiting for this ENTIRE LEAGUE and I got it in the most satisfying way possible. And the animation....that animation...what can I say. It's incredible

Probably the best episode of SM, easily the best battle in SM. Potentially best battle in the SERIES. I still think Ash vs Paul edges it out but I bare NO malice towards anyone that prefers this. This is a fine wine. This is the Mona Lisa, it belongs in the Lourve. 10/10/10/10

warset

Did they at least explain how Ash is able to do that Z-Move or not?
Yes Pikachu first defeated Tapu Koko in regular form.
Then all four Guardians came and did a recovery dance to recover everyone.
Then Kukui received his electric Z from Tapu Koko.
After that was the final Z clash between Guardian of Alola and 10 million volt thunderbolt, where Pikachu proved to be stronger.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Yes Pikachu first defeated Tapu Koko in regular form.
Then all four Guardians came and did a recovery dance to recover everyone.
Then Kukui received his electric Z from Tapu Koko.
After that was the final Z clash between Guardian of Alola and 10 million volt thunderbolt, where Pikachu proved to be stronger.
No, I think he meant as in why 10MV even happened, which was never explained (it should've been tbh, Koko was right there)

SoundVoltex

This finale is truly satisfying animation wise. I wish this type of finale happened 3 years ago, but better late than never.

Sham

The Guardian of War
So two things
I will never get tired of the “XY trainer battle theme” nor “Type Wild” being spammed. I was actually preparing for “Your Adventure” to play. Anyway oh the irony the most controversial league being one of Ash’s greatest feats. The animation was spotless, especially the aerial battle. It’s funny the anime turned a rather easily boring gimmick (Z-moves) into something that’s interesting. Also loved the Dragon Ball reference since I don’t think they’ve done that yet.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Im not in the habit of comparing Sagas but I can't help but remember when Ash lost the Kalos League, feeling so empty inside because not only did he lost he also didn't care and brushed the whole thing off like it didn't effect him like there was no emotional investment from him, it just sucked.

But seeing all of that done for this League, here at the end, between father and son, rivals, between best friends, really gets to me. Ash and Pikachus bond was put on full display in such an amazing way. So much love for each other for Aola it just feels so warm and personal, it's so wonderful

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
But seeing all of that done for this League, here at the end, between father and son, rivals, between best friends, really gets to me. Ash and Pikachus bond was put on full display in such an amazing way. So much love for each other for Aola it just feels so warm and personal, it's so wonderful

Ash's real father must feel like crap.

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
So I complained a lot about the league, the alola arc in general AND the anime in general. And I think I was justified in doing so. I mean it took 7 leagues for Ash to finally win, the Alola arc felt like it wasn't going anywhere at times (compared to XY&Z) and it was a shame how the butchered the early part of the league with 1v1s.

HOWEVER, I've gotta give them a lot of credit for finally snapping out of their previous mentallity, giving Ash his win and delivering it with top notch animation and storytelling for the last 10 or so episodes.

In a complete 180, I'm the most pissed off I've ever been at the pokemon games (Still not buying SwSh) but I'm the most hyped I've ever been for the next season of the anime. I'm really happy to see that it's not completely set in Galar but also involves the previous regions. I'm really hoping Ash goes on a nostalgia tour meeting past characters and challenging regional champions. Pretty please.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Ok, NOW I can officially call Ash a champion!! I partly felt his victory with Gladion didn’t count since it was a 3x3 match against someone with supposedly less experience. But THIS, a full battle against the strongest trainer in Alola, both sides giving their all and showing their passions, this was the real final battle that truly made Ash the Alola League champion

I also know that I’m going to get flack for this, but by the end of this match I felt Ash’s Alola team is now better than his Kalos team. All of his pokémon in Alola have fleshed out personalities even after they evolved, it feels like a mix between his OS teams and his Kalos team due to how many of his pokémon evolved, Ash actually had two legendaries that didn’t completely feel like they were handed to him, neither of them were OP like Tobias’s Darkrai or Latios, & there was no definitive ace for the team. Everyone gave their 110% percent in this league and they each had their own moment in the spotlight.

I can honestly say that Ash’s Alola team is currently my favorite he’s had to date!!

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Im not in the habit of comparing Sagas but I can't help but remember when Ash lost the Kalos League, feeling so empty inside because not only did he lost he also didn't care and brushed the whole thing off like it didn't effect him like there was no emotional investment from him, it just sucked.

You know, his reaction to his AL win kinda redeemed his nonchallant reaction for me, as he felt complete disbelief at first, having gotten used to losing over and over again to the point that he just accepted it
No it shouldn't. Don't pause a climax moment with boring exposition, especially for stuff that is already shown and inferred. It just kills the moment.
I meant moreso after the fight, just something brief would've done it

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
... neither of them were OP like Tobias’s Darkrai or Latios...

I'm definitely not complaining but Melmetal was a bit OP :D I mean he lost to Silvally I guess (Which is also OP) but it completely destroyed that Empoleon. Even Naganadel in its final battle against Tapu Koko was pretty powerful. They just didn't feel as OP as Tobias's legendaries because they made some of the non-legendaries able to compete (Kukui's Incineroar, Pikachu)

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I meant moreso after the fight, just something brief would've done it
Still kills the moment, it's then time to let the feeling of victory sink in, not the time for boring exposition. Especially since it's already quite obvious how it works, there's absolutely no need for an explicit explanation. It's exactly the same as Ash-Greninja, except the bond between Pikachu and Ash actually makes sense because they've been together for so long. It's the bonds between trainers and pokémon that strengthen Z-Moves, that's already been explained several times, so for a very strong bond when their feelings match up perfectly they can achieve that extra evolution in the Z-Move. For Greninja it manifested as a sort-of mega evolution without stones, here instead it sort-of mega evolves the Z-Crystal. Not everything needs a character verbally explaining how something works.

Last edited: