• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Gritty Beasts [OU]

dd2014

Gardevior= Hottie!!!
The Gritty Beasts [OU]

Tennis is my life. I eat it, sleep it, and breathe it. Tennis is something I have devoted my life to, and I have bled and sweated the sport for 2 years now. The style of tennis I play is gritty-I run to get anything, no matter how good the shot. Like my tennis, I prefer my Pokemon battles to be gritty also-filled with defensive strategy, lots of fight, and late game comebacks perse. When I was just a wee little lad, I would steal my older brothers Pokemon games and play them when he was gone-and I fell in love. The simple premise was fascinating. I grew up and began to play my own games, slowly evolving from using all attack moves to a more strategical game play. Recently, I have began battling on Shoddy Battle (Thanks to Awesome A!!!) and it's just great, and I was just hoping you guys could rate my (attempt at a) beginning team. I have just been picking apart what I can through all of your posts and Smogon especially, so don't be harsh if any of this seems amateurish. I've gone 3-2 with this set, so helps please! Any criticism is apprectiated (but be kind and follow basic rules!)

At a Glance

260.png

205.png

227.png

500.png

242.png

149.png

The Bulky Lead

images

Swampert ("Swamp Monster") @ Leftovers
Relaxed
Torrent
240 HP/215 DEF/52 SpA

-Earthquake
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Pump
-Stealth Rock

Why?
I chose to use a MixPert as my lead due to its general reliability. I can just set up Stealth Rock then see how much damage I can do. His sandstorm immunity is awesome, and against Stealth Rockers like Hippowdon he works great. Also, though Donphan, previously mentioned Hippowdon and Rhyperior are also good choiced for a ground position on the team, his neutrality to Ice attacks, and his special stats are just so much more playable if you will.

Who?
Ludicolo can be a pain, though isn't used very much in what OU games I have participated in. Celebi and Shaymin if they have an Ice attack are also pains-Grass not can kill with 2 uses. Mismagious, Latias, and a Recovery Milotic have also caused him grief

The Masked Shield

205.gif

Forretress ("Maskee") @Shed Shell
Relaxed
Sturdy
252 HP/112 ATK/144 DEF

-Toxic Spikes (Chose over Spikes because though the possibility of Poison absortion is there, there aren't many toptier Poisons, so...)
-Earthquake (Works well against Magnezone, a real threat to Forretress)
-Rapid Spin
-Explosion

Why?
Forretress is great-its High DEF is so usable, and it can stall and yet destroy teams that stall themselves. It's also one of the best OU spikers, so it works well on my team. I can come in on a nonthreating Poke and wreak havock on Weavile, a crunching Tyranitar and any Dragon in an outrage. I don't need to do anythign fancy-he just gets the job done. And he just looks cool ^_^

Who?
The Rotoms-can easily switch in. Didn't bother with Gyro Ball-they would just absorb it, even though Earthquake is just as useless. H is especially good with Overheat. Moltres is also a threat, but Heatran not so much as I have Earthquake.

The Egg Wall

242.gif

Blissey ("Eggberta") @Leftovers
Calm
Natural Cure
252 DEF/80 SPA/176 SPD

-Wish
-Protect
-Flamethrower (To deal with Gengar, Dusknoir etc.)
-Ice Beam (To deal with powerful Dragon Dancers (Salamence, Tyranitar) or Swords Dancers (Lucario))(Don't really need Toxic-I have Rotom as a statuser)

Why?
Because it's Blissey for gawd's sake!!! The best wall in the game in my opinion, and fits very well on a team that needs support for Skarmory to come in/out of/to. The Wish/Protect combo is great, but I'm cautious to not overuse it-it IS very common...

Who?
Machamp and Scizor for obvious reasons. And I played a Nasty Plot Togekiss that screwed me over...

The BuzZtasuser

Mow%20Rotom.png

Rotom-C ("Buzzsaw") @ Leftovers
Bold
Levitate
252 HP/168 DEF/88 Spe

-Discharge
-Will-O-Wisp
-Hidden Power Fighting
-Shadow Ball

Why?
He can counter Swamper with ease. The status is great to ease away opponents at the end. He also has TONS of immunities, resistances, and neutralities, which is great.

Who?
Heatran can block and retaliate with a fire move, and though most of the moves are there to counter a strong Tyranitar, he can still be a threat.

The Steel Cold Taunter

227.gif

Skarmory ("Steeler") @ Shed Shell
Impish
Keen Eye
252 HP/72 DEF/184 SPE

-Taunt
-Toxic
-Roost
-Spikes (for extra damage on top of Toxic)

Why?
Skarmory makes a great taunter, and covers the downfall of a Spiking Skarmory-dealing w/ the last Pokemon. The moves I've selected are just to weaken and Roost is there to keep Skarm in the game.

Who?
Magnezone and even Probopass with Magnet Pull are devils to Mr. Skarmory. Also Heatran.

The Whiskered Underdragon

149.gif

Dragonite ("Whisks") @Yache Berry
Jolly
Inner Focus
4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPE

-Dragon Dance
-Outrage(try to put off as long as possible)
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast (better against Skarmory that F. Punch)

Why?
I know what you're thinking-why this instead of Salamence? Do you wanna know why? To prove a point-a technically inferior Pokemon can still dominate with proper strategy. He's my sweeper, and after a few Dragon Dances, he is kind of a beast. Yache Berry is to protect against Ice.

Who?
Anything w/ Ice Beam (but not so much after Yache), and a Steel Poke coming in during Dragon Dance.

And of course, the Threats!!!!

My Team is very Heatran and Magnezone weak. Any way you guys know to remedy this?

Thanks for reading, please rate! And remember-keep on gritting these games out!

ishta

ish teh ishta
My only comment is that with your MixPert, maybe replace Hydro Pump for Surf, it should wipe out a Heatran with mildish tactics.

dd2014

Gardevior= Hottie!!!
My only comment is that with your MixPert, maybe replace Hydro Pump for Surf, it should wipe out a Heatran with mildish tactics.

Oohh, that solves one problem! Thanks!

MajorGambit

Why are Magnezone and probo a problem for skarmony if it has shed shell?? Also you can replace toxic or taunt with whirlwind to increase the damage of your many entry hazards.

Also, I know you trying to prove a theory and so, but be sure: Mence DOES outclass your dragonite. I love nite. So much. One of my favs. But gamefreak seems to dislike him.

I think you're +1 gyra weak. Once he DDs it can kill nite with ice fang, blissey with waterfall, rotom with waterfall and put a large dent in skarmony and proceed to the 2HKO, as you can't phaze him. Forry can explode. Only. Swampert will be dead, I guess. That's why I strongly recommend whirlwind and even so, gyra can be trouble if he packs taunt. I think you should perhaps replace rotom with porygon 2, which counters mence and gyra and can spread status too.

lkelder0511

To smogon (Y)
Why are Magnezone and probo a problem for skarmony if it has shed shell?? Also you can replace toxic or taunt with whirlwind to increase the damage of your many entry hazards.

Also, I know you trying to prove a theory and so, but be sure: Mence DOES outclass your dragonite. I love nite. So much. One of my favs. But gamefreak seems to dislike him.

I think you're +1 gyra weak. Once he DDs it can kill nite with ice fang, blissey with waterfall, rotom with waterfall and put a large dent in skarmony and proceed to the 2HKO, as you can't phaze him. Forry can explode. Only. Swampert will be dead, I guess. That's why I strongly recommend whirlwind and even so, gyra can be trouble if he packs taunt. I think you should perhaps replace rotom with porygon 2, which counters mence and gyra and can spread status too.

Mence doesnt outclass dragonite 100% dragonite can take hits better and doesn't pay the price as bad for mispredicts.

Exploding your wall and spinner isn't usually a good idea. However running reflect over explosion can be a good idea to soften said gyara's blows along with any other physical attacker

Standard mixape run grass knot and hp ice now most of the time can really hurt this team but I'm no totally sure what to replace

MajorGambit

I said about the way you're playing this nite. Nite can be better in different roles.

Vappy can work as a good Mixape counter, with enough evs to survive CC and stay a little healthy.

lkelder0511

To smogon (Y)
Actually vaporeon would be a nice choice over skarm to counter ape gyara and friends as well as absorb some ice beams aimed at dragonite and fire blasts at forre and double wishing is fun

dd2014

Gardevior= Hottie!!!
Thanks for all the help. Edits will be in White

Sebonzakura

moved to smogon
How Rotom-c counters Swampert without leaf storm?