• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Grunge

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
Grunge music - as you may or may not know - was a popular musical style in the late 80's and early 90's that had a "slowed down" alternative sound to it. Lyrics usually expressed social alienation, apathy, confinement, and a desire for freedom. Most people have heard of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains - three of the most sucessful and well-known Grunge bands. But there were other good ones, too. Such as Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Stone Temple Pilots, Radiohead and much more.

In this thread, if anyone else on Serebii listens to Grunge, you may discuss anything Grunge related - the bands, the deaths, recent happenings, etc. But I don't want to see people arguing about Kurt Cobain's death. He hates that, trust me.

Grunge ftw. I've really started getting into some of the more known bands; Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, and Alice In Chains namely.

Though the era afterwards, Post-Grunge, is probably my favorite genre, Grunge will always have a place in my heart as one of the better genres of music out there.

Radiohead are grunge?

That aside, I listen to the other six you named, and they're all pretty good, better than a lot of current new rock groups. Being born in 1990 means I grew up around the time when these groups were becoming popular, and no shock, they've stuck with me throughout my life and I've just about always liked STP's "Creep" at the very least.

Also, in my opinion, best songs to come out of grunge? Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage," Temple of the Dog's "Hunger Strike." Discuss.

I love you.

Of course, I should say that, the only other grunge songs I heard on the radio following the end of the genre's boom were the singles from Nirvana, "Plush," "Interstate Love Song," "Even Flow," "Daughter," "Black Hole Sun," "Man In the Box," "Rooster," and the aforementioned "Hunger Strike." Of late I've been hearing "Sex Type Thing," "Spoonman," and "Them Bones" once in a while, and I've even heard "Rape Me" once on radio. No, seriously. That was always the one that stuck with me most easily, though I also thought "Interstate Love Song" pretty cool, as with "Rooster" (I think AIC was the second grunge band I got into all that much, outside Pearl Jam.), "Even Flow," and "Black Hole Sun." Most of the others were good but somehow didn't do as much for me as "Creep." I dunno why, but...

I wouldn't be surprised if this meant that grunge-focused music made even a bigger boom over the next five years, since kids that were born in the era are growing up now...

Out of interest, can we please get a good definition of post-grunge, and a fair-size list of bands? I probably listen to a few of them already, but.

Of course, I should say that, the only other grunge songs I heard on the radio following the end of the genre's boom were the singles from Nirvana, "Plush," "Interstate Love Song," "Even Flow," "Daughter," "Black Hole Sun," "Man In the Box," "Rooster," and the aforementioned "Hunger Strike." Of late I've been hearing "Sex Type Thing," "Spoonman," and "Them Bones" once in a while, and I've even heard "Rape Me" once on radio. No, seriously. That was always the one that stuck with me most easily, though I also thought "Interstate Love Song" pretty cool, as with "Rooster" (I think AIC was the second grunge band I got into all that much, outside Pearl Jam.), "Even Flow," and "Black Hole Sun." Most of the others were good but somehow didn't do as much for me as "Creep." I dunno why, but...

I have XM Radio, and of course that means I have SIRIUS Channels, so I listen to a channel named Lithium that plays Grunge and 90's Alternative Music. Plenty of good music you can find on there.

I wouldn't be surprised if this meant that grunge-focused music made even a bigger boom over the next five years, since kids that were born in the era are growing up now...

If it means anything, I'm 14 and have the exact same taste as my father. So... yeah. I'm hoping so.

Out of interest, can we please get a good definition of post-grunge, and a fair-size list of bands? I probably listen to a few of them already, but.

There's not very many dedicated Post-Grunge Bands, but a lot of bands play Post-Grunge music. Here's a list of the former: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Post-grunge_groups

Ah. Going by that Wikipedia list, I listen to Foo Fighters, Burn Halo and Tantric, and have been meaning to get hold of Days of the New and Candlebox, since they're both grunge recommendations that have popped up on my last.fm once in a while at least. Thank you very much for the information.

I have XM Radio, and of course that means I have SIRIUS Channels, so I listen to a channel named Lithium that plays Grunge and 90's Alternative Music. Plenty of good music you can find on there.

Sounds pretty cool, actually. If I were able, I'd check it out...

Mariya Shidou said:
Ah. Going by that Wikipedia list, I listen to Foo Fighters, Burn Halo and Tantric, and have been meaning to get hold of Days of the New and Candlebox, since they're both grunge recommendations that have popped up on my last.fm once in a while at least. Thank you very much for the information.

No problem. Yeah, definitely check out Candle. They're really good.

Sounds pretty cool, actually. If I were able, I'd check it out...

Yeah, I listen to that, the new hard rock channel, and the classic hard rock channel.

Zazie

So 1991
No mention of Green River, Mudhoney or Mother Love bone?
Green River was considered to be one of the first Grunge bands and had member who later went on to form Mudhoney and Pearl Jam.
Mudhoney was a fairly significant grunge band as well even if they weren't as successful and are on of the few grunge bands still around.
Mother Love Bone also feaured a member who went on to be in Pearl Jam and Temple of Dog was formed as a tribute to the death of the Bands lead singer Andrew Wood.

I don't really listen to much Grunge but there are some important bands missing.

Last edited:

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!

Oh man, that's awesome. I listen to Lithium every day. I find alot of good stuff by lesser known bands like Temple of the Dog. They also play a good bit of Weezer (not grunge, I know).

Outlawz

I'm a slasher!
Grunge is the best.

Alice in Chains being my favorite band.

Then there's still Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Temple of the Dog, Green River, Mudhoney, Melvins, Screaming Tree's, Mad Season, The Vines, Love Battery, Mother Love Bone, and a bunch more.

Oh man, that's awesome. I listen to Lithium every day. I find alot of good stuff by lesser known bands like Temple of the Dog. They also play a good bit of Weezer (not grunge, I know).

I wouldn't classify Temple of the Dog as 'lesser known' because it brought together some of the best Grunge bands together for a single album, so it got a bit of media attention in Seattle (obviously). They play a little bit of 'modern' Grunge on Octane sometimes, but not much. And I'd say Weezer's played at least one Grunge song before, even if they aren't a dedicated band.

Glass Eye said:
No mention of Green River, Mudhoney or Mother Love bone?
Green River was considered to be one of the first Grunge bands and had member who later went on to form Mudhoney and Pearl Jam.
Mudhoney was a fairly significant grunge band as well even if they weren't as successful and are on of the few grunge bands still around.
Mother Love Bone also feaured a member who went on to be in Pearl Jam and Temple of Dog was formed as a tribute to the death of the Bands lead singer Andrew Wood.

I don't really listen to much Grunge but there are some important bands missing.

I agree, but a lot of the earlier Grunge bands never really got my attention. Mudhoney was okay though.

Last edited:

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist
Grunge ftw. I've really started getting into some of the more known bands; Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, and Alice In Chains namely.

Though the era afterwards, Post-Grunge, is probably my favorite genre, Grunge will always have a place in my heart as one of the better genres of music out there.

Damn, and I was going to make a joke on how you would jizz yourself if you saw this thread. =<

Anyways, I generally don't look at the genres of the songs I listen too. So I'm just spit-balling at what fits in the genre, but:

Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and Stone Temple Pilots.

Yeah, most of what I listen to is Post-Grunge. Which > Everything else.

Umbreon-Dana said:
Damn, and I was going to make a joke on how you would jizz yourself if you saw this thread. =<

Tell that to the three pairs of pants I had gone through yesterday after this thread opened. 8D

Anyways, I generally don't look at the genres of the songs I listen too. So I'm just spit-balling at what fits in the genre, but:

Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and Stone Temple Pilots.

All of those are very dedicated Grunge Bands. And Alice in Chains and Stone Temple Pilots are awesome.

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist
Tell that to the three pairs of pants I had gone through yesterday after this thread opened. 8D

All of those are very dedicated Grunge Bands. And Alice in Chains and Stone Temple Pilots are awesome.

Normally, I would make a smartass comment about that, but, that speaks for itself. =/

Once again, I just spit-balled. I don't really pay attention to genre that much.

Though, according to Last.FM, I should've added Incubus, Seether, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Breaking Benjamin, Cake, Serj Tankian, Bullet for My Valentine, Nine Inch Nails, Nighwish, Foo Fighters, and a lot of others.

Though I classified most of those under other genres. >_>

Normally, I would make a smartass comment about that, but, that speaks for itself. =/

That's the point. 8D

Once again, I just spit-balled. I don't really pay attention to genre that much.

You should. Grunge is a pretty broad genre.

Though, according to Last.FM, I should've added Incubus, Seether, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Breaking Benjamin, Cake, Serj Tankian, Bullet for My Valentine, Nine Inch Nails, Nighwish, Foo Fighters, and a lot of others.

Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers are the only even slightly grunge bands on that list. Incubus, Serj, and Bullet for my Valentine are Alt Metal, BB, Seether, and Cake are Alt Rock / Post-Grunge, and Nightwish is Progressive Metal.

Also, anyone here listen to Audioslave? They aren't Grunge, but they incorprate the sound into their music.

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist
That's the point. 8D

You should. Grunge is a pretty broad genre.

Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers are the only even slightly grunge bands on that list. Incubus, Serj, and Bullet for my Valentine are Alt Metal, BB, Seether, and Cake are Alt Rock / Post-Grunge, and Nightwish is Progressive Metal.

Also, anyone here listen to Audioslave? They aren't Grunge, but they incorprate the sound into their music.

>_>

Meh, if I like a[n] [artist/song], I like it, no matter the genre. =/

Ah, roger that. Cake doesn't sound very Post-Grungish to me, though.

Ah, yes, I've listened to a few songs by them, but haven't taken the time to hear all of them. They are a pretty good band, if you ask me.

Umbreon-Dana said:

8D

Meh, if I like a[n] [artist/song], I like it, no matter the genre. =/

I know, that's why I'm saying look a bit deeper into it. It's a very broad genre, so almost anyone can find something that they like in it.

Ah, roger that. Cake doesn't sound very Post-Grungish to me, though.

It's Alt Rock, but Alt Rock and Post-Grunge so much alike that I just listed them under the same group.

Ah, yes, I've listened to a few songs by them, but haven't taken the time to hear all of them. They are a pretty good band, if you ask me.

WERE a good band. They disbanded after the third album.

Also, I need an opinion; is Everclear more Grunge or Alternative? I've heard opinions both ways, so... yeah.

Outlawz

I'm a slasher!
STP isn't really Grunge, there first album Core kind of is, but everything after that is really just rock.