• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The GSC Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf_Blade_Leafeon28

Hungry as a Snorlax
Just completed my Bug-Monotype Challenge! Red was so hard considering his killed Charizard killed me every flippin time. But luckily my Shuckle beat his Charizard with Sandstorm in the 5th battle!

Shuckie/Shuckle@Leftovers
Level 66
-Strength
-Rest
-Sandstorm
-Dig

Butterfree@Focus Band
Level 66
-Psybeam
-Stun Spore
-Supersonic
-Gust

Parasect@Quick Claw
Level 66
-Cut
-Slash
-Spore
-Giga Drain

Ariados@Leftovers
Level 66
-Sludge Bomb
-Night Shade
-Fury Swipes
-Psychic

Scyther@Amulet Coin
Level 67
-Wing Attack
-Slash
-Swords Dance
-Headbutt

I am probably going to do a Normal Type Challenge next

guizaum

Teh Golduck Freak
Aww...You beat me on the normal one...But anyways,I'll start a normal monotype.

Ahem,i'm training my pokes(booring)and i hope to have this team:

Furret
Pidgeot
Miltank
Raticate
Wigglytuff
Clefable

Okay...10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...Blastoff!

Team:

;016; Pidgey lvl 12

;161; Sentret lvl 12

;019; Rattata lvl 2 :(
(BTW They have the moves that they can learn in this level)

Last edited:

guizaum

Teh Golduck Freak
Okay,update time!I'll cover 2 gym leaders here.

I deposited Rattata in the box for a while.
Then i started to train more.Got to lvl 12 and sweeped through Sprout Tower,training Togepi in the process.Then i found out that togepi don't learn good moves,and metronome was almost always explosion,so i ditched him and defeated The final elder in the tower.Then i got on to falkner with pidgey and sentret lvl 13.I wiped the floor with him and his apprentices.Then,with all the pokes in lvl14,i headed to union cave and after it,i beat bugsy,team rocket and rival,And then im with this,past ilex forest:

Team:

;017; Pidgeotto lvl 19

;019; Rattata lvl 19

;162; Furret lvl 19

Edit:Okay long post now.I'll cover Whitney,Morty,Chuck and Jasmine.

Okay so i trained,caught Ditto and Drowzee and come up to Whitney with everyone lvl 20,with an addition of a Jigglypuff And Raticate!(Finally)I stomped her flat and i got on to the next route.Ah,i forgot to say,i got rollout on this route before whitney and taught it to Furret*coughmiltankcough*.Then i got on to national park and won second with a Scyther.Then i beat Sudowoodo and got to Ecruteak.I beat Morty and taught Raticate Shadow Ball.Got to Olivine and beat the lighthouse.Then got to Cianwood,beaten Chuck and got fly.Taught it to Pidgeotto and i flied back to Olivine.Beaten Jasmine after giving her the SecretPotion and won.With my Pidgeotto(lulz)And i stopped here with this team:

;017; Pidgeotto lvl 34

Fly,Wing Attack,Quick Attack,Tackle

;020; Raticate lvl 33

Shadow Ball,Hyper Fang,Quick Attack,Strength

;039; Jigglypuff lvl 33

Headbutt,DoubleSlap,Attract,ThunderPunch

;162; Furret lvl 33

Surf,Ice Punch,Slam,Rollout

;241; Miltank lvl 34

Fire Punch,Rollout,Milk Drink,Stomp

;128; Tauros lvl 33(Waiting for Clefable)

Horn Attack,Pursuit,Rock Smash,Scary Face

Last edited:

Leaf_Blade_Leafeon28

Hungry as a Snorlax
@guizaum wow your team is like exactly the same as mine except I am keeping Tauros and am using Granbull instead of Raticate... o_O Weird

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
Steel type

Half-term starts in 10 days, so I'll start me a steel monotype. I'll trade a metal coat from my current version probably (so I can get both steelix and scizor without stealing from magnemites) but I won't use it until I get the one on the SS. Aqua. Magneton, Scizor, Steelix, Forretress and Skarmory for me, then.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
anyone have any suggested types for silver. be aware that i cannot trade and thus should not recieve pokemon that can be caught late in the game, preferably pokemon up to about the fourth or fifth badge, at most, the sixth

Leaf_Blade_Leafeon28

Hungry as a Snorlax
anyone have any suggested types for silver. be aware that i cannot trade and thus should not recieve pokemon that can be caught late in the game, preferably pokemon up to about the fourth or fifth badge, at most, the sixth

I would suggest using Water, Poison, or Bug since there is a wide variety of those types in this Gen.

brandyjay

GET IN THE BAG
swapping to psychic for ease of memory. I'm currently doing three mono types and three different types is confusing.

Last edited:

Matchre

Burn, baby, burn.
Throw me a type for Crystal, please. I've got time to burn and a copy untouched.

lifesharker

Spring-Loaded Fish
Try Steel if you're up for a challenge. You can get Onix early (to evolve to steelix later), Pineco in the Ilex forest (for Forretress), Scyther just before the third gym (for Scizor obv), and you can get spare metal coats for evolution from Magnemites. I was planning on doing steel myself, but I've never got round to it.

Or, if you fancy something a little easier, go for water, normal, flying or bug.

Ooh, I have crystal on the ol' vba. I think I'll try a psychic team.(Gee, there's a suprise, eh?) And it will be as follows:

-Kadabra(can't trade with the vba)
-Slowpoke
-Exxegutor
-Xatu
-Jynx
-Espeon

Last edited:

SilverMorty

Looks interesting, I'm going to try for a Ground monotype challenge for crystal :)

edit:

so i started with Chikorita so the rival would have a Cyndaquil (really bad if water/grass was the rival's starter lol) and i caught a Geodude in the route below the mountains (46 if i remember right). I also walked around to find a Phanpy- damn they're so hard to catch and they flee!

Fast forward to Violet City and i traded a Bellsprout for the Onix. Took out the gym with relative ease with Geodude's Rock Throw and Onix Screeching it's way through Falkner's Pidgeotto to make Phanphy's tackle kill it with one hit.

Sprout Tower wasn't as hard as i Imagined as Phanphy's high HP lets it survive a couple of Vine Whips- enough for the Bellsprouts to die from tackle with their weak defense. Just got Flash and am on my way to Azalea Town.

Team-

Rocky (Onix)- Lv 11
-Tackle
-Screech
-Bind

Geodude- Lv 14
-Rock Throw
-Defense Curl
-Tackle

Phanphy- Lv 13
-Tackle
-Growl
-Defense Curl

-keeping Chikorita (later to be Flash and Cut slave for now) and the Togepi egg with party. Not sure who to teach Mud Slap yet.

======================
-FAST FORWARD EDIT-
======================

Just beat Jasmine and am halfway on the Magohany Rocket mission.

-Jasmine was very easy, I didn't use my Ground TM's yet even.
-Chuck's Poliwrath almost owned my team. Used a Suicide Onix to Screech as much as it can before dying (once lol), then Quagsire using Amnesia to soak the Surfs and Tail Whip to bring Defense to lowest then Nidorino landed the finishing blow. Also loving Donphan's Flail against the whole gym.
-Clean sweeped Morty using Quagsire.
-Whitney's Rollout for once didn't bother me because of my ground types :D
-Bugsy was too easy.

Here's my team:

Quagsire lv31 @ Mystic Water
-Surf
-Ice Punch
-Amnesia
-Slam

Donphan lv31 @ ---
-Take Down
-Fury Attack
-Defense Curl
-Flail

Rocky (Steelix) lv31 @ Soft Sand
-Rock Throw
-Screech
-Dig
-Rage

Nidoking lv32 @ King's Rock :)p)
-Horn Attack
-Fire Punch
-Thunderpunch
-Double Kick

Golem lv31 @ MysteryBerry
-Rock Throw
-Defense Curl
-Strength
-Magnitude

and a Farfetch'd for the Cut/Fly/Metal Coat Thief Slave

-Plan later to get a Gligar at Blackthorn or a Swinub at Ice Path. Probably the former then teach it Sludge Bomb for Grass types.
-Will teach Ice Punch to NIdoking later and possibly Mud Slap (Earthquake TM reserved for Donphan who has the highest attack). Not sure if I should use STAB and slightly defensive Mud Slap or Dynamic Punch.
-Not sure if i should give Steelix Iron Tail, was planning to teach it Crunch for Psychics and Dragonbreath for Paralyssis Support along with Rock Throw and Dig.

Last edited:

guizaum

Teh Golduck Freak
OkayDokay new update

I got to Mahogany.I defeated the red Gyarados and got to Pryce.Miltank overuse,with Fire Punch.

Then got to the Radio to beat some Rocket ***.I beat the fake Director and now i got to the underground.Wiped Rival and stopped.

TEAM NORMAL

;128; Tauros lvl 36

Horn Attack,Rest,Rock Smash,Iron Tail

;040; Wigglytuff lvl 36

Body Slam,ThunderPunch,Attract,Headbutt(Soon to be the BodySlamming FlameThrowering Ice Beaming ThunderBolter.How to find the man who sells these moves for coins?)

;241; Miltank lvl 36

Fire Punch,Rollout,Milk Drink,Stomp

;018; Pidgeot lvl 36

Fly,Wing Attack,Quick Attack,Tackle

;020; Raticate lvl 36

Shadow Ball,Hyper Fang,Strength,Quick Attack

;162; Furret lvl 36

Ice Punch,Surf,Slam,Rollout

Edit: Decided to keep Tauros because of his Earthquake.Also putting movesets now

Edit 2: Got everyone to 41 and i'm now at the gym in Blackthorn

Last edited:
Gee, this has got me really excited, I want to do 15 different monotype challenges.

Well, ok, I've started out on a normal one. So now, lets get into the details - note, I'll be reporting every time I beat a gym.

I started off a few days ago on this one deciding to pick Chikorita and then after I got onto my first route I caught a HootHoot and after remembering that it will take a *long* time before a Sentret started appearing, I waited until tomorrow (the real tomorrow, not the game). After this I eventually got to Violet City where I started off solving the first puzzle of the Unknowns and then going into Sprout Tower and defeated the Sages until I got enough money to get an escape rope and then got the four items and the pointless message back in the ruins.

After the four items trick I battled the elder, Sage Li. It was an easy battle - Sentret tore apart this guy's pair of Bellsprouts in a few turns flat with a quick attack and made HootHoot an easy picking for mine. After there I challenged the gym leader, Falkner. Sentret tore apart his Pidgey in three turns flat. The HootHoot managed to beat his weakened Pidgeotto with a peck.

I'm currently preparing form my next adventure, so now I'll tell you about my team

;161;level 11 (f) tackle, defense curl, quick attack
I'm planning to get this into a pretty high level - higher than HootHoot to be exact.

;163;level 12 (m) tackle, growl, foresight, peck
This guys going to rocking on as my sleeper in the end and rock on, this battle is going to be good.

Last edited:

Crobat_Curse

Well it's been pretty much ages since I last updated. I sort of stopped playing, so I really have no idea of my actions since my last update. All I know is that I'm at the Lake of Rage, having just defeated the Red Gyarados. I'll keep you updated from now on.

Anyways, team:
[IMG139]http://i44.*******.com/1ha150.png[/IMG139]
Displayed in order caught. ^^;​

Last edited:
sorry I haven't posted in a while - I've been kinda busy ... but I'm back!

I started off going in to Ilex Forest after defeating my rival. AFter a while I eventually got onto Route 32 where I caught two new team members, Snubbull and Jigglypuff. After that I trudged on to battle Gym Leader Whitney - it was incredible.

While battling the other trainers in the gym, I evolved HootHoot in to a Noctowl. It was a tough battle with Whitney - her Miltank almost defeated Noctowl. If it wasn't rollout missing twice I would have been in deep trouble. Then stormed off to continue .... I was wondering where you could get the return TM. Woops, it was all the way back at the department store. But anyway, I nearly lost to the psychic with the Drowzee if it wasn't for Togepi's metronome sending a disable after Drowzee launched an unsuccesful hypnosis I would have been done for.

I then started battling the Kimono Girls. I defeated three of them, but now I am headed back to the department store if it is Sunday.

Now on to the team ratings:

;175;level 17 (m) growl, charm, metronome

;039;level 17 (f) sing, ice punch, thunder punch, fire punch

;209;level 17 (f) quick claw, tackle, scary face, bite, charm

;164;level 20 (m) tackle, hypnosis, foresight, peck

;162;level 20 (f) tackle, defense curl,quick attack, fury swipes

Status
Not open for further replies.