• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Guardian's Challenge! (945)

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
What're u referring to?

He is referring to a scene in the first episode. When Principal Oak grants permission for Mallow to show Ash the school's campus, he does a Porygon imitation and name-drop. It's easy to miss (I missed it the first time I watched the episode), because Mallow and Ash pretty much talk right over him. (It doesn't help that he's not the focal point of the scene.)

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I'm still laughing that Ash has a legendary as a personal tutor for z-moves.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Tapu Koko still be trolling, LOL! I really liked the chase scene through the forest. Ash proved, once again, just how nimble he is, but we also got to see how nimble (or not so nimble) his classmates are. It made me laugh that Kukui had to help Sophocles over the log, and Lillie was just sitting there watching.
That whole scene was great and I was actually lmao. What made it even more hilarious is you see Kukui wipe the sweat off his forehead after he helps him over the log.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Another anime cliche I've spotted is our main protagonist has the seat closest to the window (if there would be a window)

Also Ash dabs before his Z move, just because

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
At least we have proof that Pikachu hasn't reset this time around. That Z-move either is of the correct power depicted in the games, or it's more powerful than expected, though Ash and Pikachu are close anyway, so it's probably the latter. This could just be the bias showing in that I'm personally not a fan of the Z-move right now, so I dunno.

Favorite part of the episode (well... the show so far) was Ash touching the Exeggutor tail and getting owned. Never change, Ash.

I'm kinda indifferent to the series as of now. I don't think it's bad, it's a nice change of pace from what we've usually gotten in Pokémon, but I don't see the show keeping this up before Ash heads off with at least two travel companions of his choice (Lillie's most likely going to be one, her "I-I'm not afraid of Pokémon!" shtick isn't fooling anyone, so there's gonna be character development there). Team Rocket should be showing up here soon, and here's to hoping Team Skull will get some proper development/screentime. I thought the grunts' first appearance was alright, but the threat's non-existent as of now. Could be the point...

Here's to a fresh new start, and hope it gets better from here. I'll be checking back on the first episode when the dub comes out since I want to see how they do Alola-Oak's puns. I'm preparing myself for the cringe.

Navin

MALDREAD
Mal's Review - Sun&Moon Edition

Everybody is going to have a Z Move by the end, right?

Pros:

* Ash better get that Rockruff

* Ash learning the Z Move sequence

* Topu Koku just tanking that Z Move for the sake of teaching

Cons:

* Aren't all these Alolan natives? So shouldn't they be learning about the non-Alola Exeggutors?

Thoughts:

* Yeah bruh, I think the guy who has been to six regions, multiple conference final rounds, and saved the world a few times has the determination to use a Z-ring

* Great surprise kids, let's make the newcomer lose every one; he'll feel really welcome that way /s

* So Lillie is PokeHermione?

Not bad, fixing the broken Z Ring definitely sets up what'll probably be the main goal for the next half year-year's worth of episodes.

8/10

Last ten episodes: 8

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I really enjoyed the debut. I actually like this new animation. While a lot of people were whining and crying about the way Ash looks, I could really careless. The animation is fine to me. I just care about a really good story. We're off to a great start!

Jason3b93

Also a great episode. My favorite character is Kiawe. He's tough, but not an a**hole. Also, what I thought in the first episode seems to be the trend - Mallow will be the main shipping of this generation. Look at her face when Ash is introducting himself to the class. I hope they'll mention Serena somehow and also, we see old character's cameos there (I have a strong feeling we will).
I gotta say, it's a very solid start. If I have to guess, Ash will catch Rowlet next episode.

SkittleBox

Fanfiction writer
Maybe its a sign that Pikachu's move set will be change.

Unless they added some ultra-new-awesome-brand-new Electric Type attack, I can't really see Pikachu's moveset changing.

Zach8920

Loved it, however I believe that the inability to use a Z-Ring properly is concerning(or at least the explanation provided). Determination, being one with their Pokemon...

It's sort've like Ash-Greninja but the power is contained within a single move. Hopefully there's more on why Ash couldn't use it than this?

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Maybe its a sign that Pikachu's move set will be change.

They showed Iron Tail in the opening, so that leaves Elector Ball as the only candidate to get replaced, and honestly it has to go. It serves little to no purpose. Either give Pikachu back Volt Tackle or give it more coverage.

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
Pokemon: Harem Edition Episode 2

Lillie is a tsundere...to herself...haha. I literally can't even think of anything else to call it. It's adorable though lol.

Mallow and Lana are pretty entertaining as well. Meanwhile Kiawe wants to be the chosen one. XD Clemont clone (without his presence) is still just there...Samson and his awful gag need to go. It's not even a little funny, just annoying.

Also in the subs I watched Ash referred to the trials as "the Island Travelling Challenge" so maybe he will still be travelling after all. And I'll gladly take the stupid trials if it means we get to see less of Samson's stupid gag. And the adventure part at least is always fun. But since these are YouTube fansubs, I doubt it...I've noticed that this balance between comwdy and seriousness is kind of like Assissination's classroom's, except it's not even a little funny. Still, I'll take this over the pure "comedy" I thought it was going to be any day.

Another very average episode. Overall a decent start. Defintely not the best start to a Pokemon series, but not quite the worst either. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

6/10.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
So Kiawe seems like the serious mentor type of character when it comes to the Z ring but also seems to respect Ash.
Lillie definitely sounds alot like Haven Paschall (Serena in XYZ) to me.
Also we found out that Ash is going to try out Island Trial challenges to get more Z ring crystals while most likely attending school.
10/10

DatsRight

Did this episode keep the original music too? I suppose if so, even if the dub stops using anymore newly introduced music in later episodes, we at least have the benefit of it keeping resources from TWO episodes rather than one like in XY. :p

Uh oh, this will only exacerbate the 'Lillie is Serena 2.0' claims.

I suppose if it is Paschall, we are assured the same dub actor if Serena makes her token return cameo.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Did this episode keep the original music too? I suppose if so, even if the dub stops using anymore newly introduced music in later episodes, we at least have the benefit of it keeping resources from TWO episodes rather than one like in XY. :p

I suppose if it is Paschall, we are assured the same dub actor if Serena makes her token return cameo.

I think they kept all the music. I wasn't paying much attention though honestly since I was trying to hear who is voicing who.

They're nothing alike though lol.
And most likely.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
So Kiawe seems like the serious mentor type of character when it comes to the Z ring but also seems to respect Ash.
Also we found out that Ash is going to try out Island Trial challenges to get more Z ring crystals while most likely attending school.
10/10
I'm actually starting to think Haven Paschall does voice Lillie. It sounds so similiar, especially when Lillie screams, gets scared or excited. However, I think they're doing some effect to her voice to change it very slightly it seems to me. Samson Oak sounds just like Professor Oak, only add 20 yrs of age into the voice lol. I can't pinpoint Mallow's voice, but Lana definitely sounds the cutest though.

Anyway, I really enjoyed these dubbed episodes. Also looks like Mallow might have a little thing for Ash btw.

Zach8920

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Kei_Shind%C5%8D <--Lillie's sub voice is diff than the Serena one. Might not 'strengthen the claims'.

AlolaMochaCiel

I can get behind a Ash X Mallow ship for one reason and one reason only. Mallow does not survive off of Ash. Serena was so clingy and it seemed she needed Ash to live. Mallow is like Serena mixed with Brock mixed with Dawn.