• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Guardian's Challenge! (945)

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Inferno overdrive left a small crater on the ground
Gigavolt havoc levelled the whole forest

But didn't do any damage to Tapu Koko. But anyway, Kiawe is a trainer who has already mastered Z-moves, so it makes sense if his Z-move is more powerful than Pikachu.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
But didn't do any damage to Tapu Koko. But anyway, Kiawe is a trainer who has always mastered Z-moves, so it makes sense if his Z-move is more powerful than Pikachu.

IMHO, the fact that Gigavolt Havoc didn't do any damage to Tapu Koko despite leveling all of the trees in its path says more about Tapu Koko's strength than it does about Pikachu's. "This Pokémon didn't suffer a scratch from an attack that leveled trees? Holy Arceus, it must be incredibly powerful!"

snorlax512

But didn't do any damage to Tapu Koko. But anyway, Kiawe is a trainer who has always mastered Z-moves, so it makes sense if his Z-move is more powerful than Pikachu.
It might make sense, but from what we've seen Gigavolt havoc is stronger.
If Gigavolt havoc (which leveled the forest) didn't leave a scratch on Tapu Koko, what makes you think inferno overdrive (which barely made a dent) would damage Tapu Koko?

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
It might make sense, but from what we've seen Gigavolt havoc is stronger.
If Gigavolt havoc (which leveled the forest) didn't leave a scratch on Tapu Koko, what makes you think inferno overdrive (which barely made a dent) would damage Tapu Koko?

Inferno Overdrive knocked out 9 Pokemon at one go.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!

Firstly, those nine Pokémon had already been weakened by other attacks (which, IMHO, made using Inferno Overdrive Inferno Overkill). Secondly, none of those nine Pokémon were a legendary guardian deity. I don't think it's fair to compare a legendary Pokémon like Tapu Koko to nine ordinary Pokémon. It's like comparing apples to oranges, wouldn't you say?

Last edited:

snorlax512

So you think those grunt Pokemon would survive a Gigavolt Havoc that obliterated a forest...

We cannot compare Tapu Koko vs skull grunts because we have no idea how strong they are.

What we can compare though is the damage done to the environment, and Gigavolt havoc clearly outmatched inferno overdrive

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Firstly, those nine Pokémon had already been weakened by other attacks. Secondly, none of those nine Pokémon were a legendary guardian deity. I don't think it's fair to compare a legendary Pokémon like Tapu Koko to nine ordinary Pokémon. It's like comparing apples to oranges, wouldn't you say?

I know that. But still 9 Pokemon, it means something at least.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Pikachu has done damage and defeated Legendaries using normal moves, so his Z-move not doing any damage to Tapu Koko seemed quite ridiculous to me.

I just have to roll my eyes at this statement because you honestly think Pikachu is able to best Tapu Koko in one go should be treated as normal because "experience." As I said before, experience is a method to winning battles not an excuse to win every battle because people and pokemon have different styles, power levels, techniques, and trainers.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I just have to roll my eyes at this statement because you honestly think Pikachu is able to best Tapu Koko in one go should be treated as normal because "experience." As I said before, experience is a method to winning battles not an excuse to win every battle because people and pokemon have different styles, power levels, techniques, and trainers.

I never said that Pikachu should defeat Tapu Koko, I meant to say that the Z-move destroying the forest not doing any damage to Tapu Koko looked ridiculous.

And I don't know why you once again brought up the point when I had already moved on from it.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I know that. But still 9 Pokemon, it means something at least.

I'm not saying it doesn't. However, you are comparing Turtonator's Inferno Overdrive to Pikachu's Gigavolt based on the damage the two attacks did to their opponents. I'm just saying that's not a fair comparison; you can't compare nine ordinary Pokémon to a legendary guardian deity Pokémon. As snorlax512 pointed out, it's better to compare the damage the two attacks did to the environment. The fact that such a powerful attack did no visible damage to Tapu Koko just makes Tapu Koko look all the more bad***, IMHO.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I'm not saying it doesn't. However, you are comparing Turtonator's Inferno Overdrive to Pikachu's Gigavolt based on the damage the two attacks did to their opponents. I'm just saying that's not a fair comparison; you can't compare nine ordinary Pokémon to a legendary guardian deity Pokémon. As snorlax512 pointed out, it's better to compare the damage the two attacks did to the environment. The fact that such a powerful attack did no visible damage to Tapu Koko just makes Tapu Koko look all the more bad***, IMHO.

Well I don't think we would realize which Z-move is more stronger until we see them using their Z-moves while battling each other.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I liked how they were considerate for once and not have Pikachu lose an actual battle to those guys. Only Kiawe would have been able to do that without it stinging hard given Tortunator's obviously the strongest of the school group mon.
The water race wasn't even fair though.
And Tapu Koko battling Pikachu was just amazing, and how powerful Pikachu's blast was..... they better get to battle again in the far future.
9/10

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
How did you not understand Kiawe's blunt explanation about protecting the islands, Ash.

That Rockruff is adorable. But...did they seriously leave out the fact his rock collar pebbles hurt the trainer a lot? I guess it wasn't fit for comedy.

Poor Ash. He already lost all four surprises set by his friends, but at least he sort of tied with Tapu Koko... Wait a minute, what was the third challenge? I know it was the third since Kiawe's was the fourth before Kukui's fifth surprise.

Ash lucked out from fighting the "Champion".

Typical. Ash gets personally recommended by the...bird-sounding guardian of the island, and already his crystal is broken. At least the Island Challenge still exists, albeit they don't seem to give you the right crystals that denote the Trial Captain/Kahuna, since Kiawe got his Firium Z from...Olivia?

Alolan Oak's puns are even worse in the dub that the Japanese dub, but I guess that makes the reactions of others even more understandable.

Is the music too loud?

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
That Rockruff is adorable. But...did they seriously leave out the fact his rock collar pebbles hurt the trainer a lot? I guess it wasn't fit for comedy.

That change struck me as rather odd. In the Japanese version, Ash clearly said, "Ouch ouch ouch" as Rockruff rubbed its rock ruff (ha ha) against him. Even Pikachu looked like he was in pain when Rockruff nuzzled him. So, even though no one explicitly stated that Rockruff's rock pebble collar causes its Trainer pain, it clearly caused Ash and Pikachu pain.

Poor Ash. He already lost all four surprises set by his friends, but at least he sort of tied with Tapu Koko... Wait a minute, what was the third challenge? I know it was the third since Kiawe's was the fourth before Kukui's fifth surprise.

The first surprise was the confetti/Popplio balloon greeting at the school gate. The second surprise was the duel against Sophocles. The third surprise was the race against Lana's Popplio.

Vipsoccermaster

Oh. Well, it was sort of odd that Lana got two spots, but then again, Mallow sacrificed hers to cook.
It pays to pay attention, yes? Mallow just can't to resist cooking, she's got the skill just like Brock, Cilan, and Serena do.

Good second episode, full of surprises, but not surprised that Ash lost to all of them, except maybe against Tapu Koko, as Ash is a new trainer in the Alola region.

Ominous Wind

And now onto episode 2!

And now we get to see the beggining of Ash's new life for the next years (at least for us), and the relationships he will have with the other students. I really like how Ash's relationship with Kiawe isn't full rivalry. It's sort of a combination of Alanand Morrison. This episode gets bonus points for Ash getting curb-stomped against the others. It shows that he isn't a sore loser, and that the others have skills of their own. I would have loved to see Ash battle Kukui, since back when Rockruff was revealed, I jokingly posted that Pikachu would loose to one. However whe do get to see that Tapu Koko means business, but is also willing to help Ash and Pikachu grow. And everyone also wants to support Ash! I'm loving all these dynamics.

I rate this episode 9/10.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
I do like the new characters but am still going to stay mostly skeptical for now.

Looking forward to when the super attack move becomes available.

Last edited: