• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Guardian's Challenge! (945)

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
Didn't know where to post this but I guess it counts as part of the episode[video=youtube_share;C8xTUu_w12g]https://youtu.be/C8xTUu_w12g[/video]It's the new Dub opening. Still has that lame 30 second limit

>_>

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Mallow sacrificed hers to cook.

And as a result, I don't think Ash has been introduced to Bounsweet yet.

Also, has he even said the names "Mallow," "Lillie," or "Lana"?

I feel like introductions happened off-screen..especially since the first time in the show that Sophocles's name was even said was when ASH said it

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Didn't know where to post this but I guess it counts as part of the episode[video=youtube_share;C8xTUu_w12g]https://youtu.be/C8xTUu_w12g[/video]It's the new Dub opening. Still has that lame 30 second limit

>_>

I will forever burn that dub OP to the ground because it reminds me of horrible shows aimed at young children. Now I feel sorry for all the Americans watching Disney XD this next week who have to be exposed to it a LOT.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

>_>

Bleh, I can get around the 30 limit because that's a practice for American television now-a-days, but the music is trash. The vocals contradict the lyrics so much.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
I will forever burn that dub OP to the ground because it reminds me of horrible shows aimed at young children. Now I feel sorry for all the Americans watching Disney XD this next week who have to be exposed to it a LOT.

Its horrible isn't it, its the last couple of openings have been bad, but this one takes the cake, its just awful, no redeeming factors, bring on the next series of SM for the dub to get a hopefully, better song.

Episode 2 was a lot better than 1.

COMMENTS:
- I like that this episode has more plot than episode 1.
- Tapu Koko seem surprised by Ash's power
- Ash is the chosen one again! INTERESTING
- That Z move animation looked really cool

I enjoyed this one!! The animation is still weird, but i am very interested now.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I chuckled when I saw Maamane's hyperactive Togedemaru pop all of those balloons with its spikes, and the part where Satoshi was shown bonding with Iwanko was cute as well. Kapu-Kokeko's abrupt appearance in this episode and its battle against Pikachu was quite intriguing, and the jungle setting itself looked incredibly vivid.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
I did go back and watch the first two episodes in English and to my surprise, they were not all that bad.

Sarah Natochenny has definitely improved a lot when it comes to voicing Ash compared to when she first started. I was honestly impressed with her voice acting in this episode. Sure, there were some moments where I cringed while watching but overall, she was not half bad in these two episodes.

Anyone who knows me knows that one of my biggest pet peeves regarding the English Dub is the fact they always change the music. I just don’t understand why Ed Goldfarb has to change the music from the original Japanese version, it makes no sense to me. That being said, the musical selection in these two episodes were not half bad. I found them to be rather fitting. Of course I would prefer it if they kept the original OST from the Japanese version but overall, the music in these episodes were not bad, I actually really enjoyed them.

This was, overall, a pretty good start to the SM series and I am looking forward to watching more of the dub.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I just don’t understand why Ed Goldfarb has to change the music from the original Japanese version, it makes no sense to me. That being said, the musical selection in these two episodes were not half bad. I found them to be rather fitting.

He and Akhil Gopal (the sound editor/assistant composer) are told to by TPCi higher-ups. And yes, I agree they were fitting. The rest of the reason has an impressive track record, too. And yes, the pun was intended.

By the way, were you waiting for the season to end to start watching it?

Last edited:

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
By the way, were you waiting for the season to end to start watching it?

Nope. I’ve been watching it for a while now but I had only seen the episode in Japanese so I wanted to see how the dub handled it. This was not the first episode I’ve watched from the dub and honestly, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be because I really do not like the dub at all and I had very low expectations going into it so I might some of the other episodes of the dub now.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I might some of the other episodes of the dub now.

I wish you the best of luck.

Of all the SM dub episodes, I most heavily recommend episode 21 (known in the dub as "One Journey Ends, Another Begins...").

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
I wish you the best of luck.

Of all the SM dub episodes, I most heavily recommend episode 21 (known in the dub as "One Journey Ends, Another Begins...").

I’ve actually already seen that episode in the dub. I’ve watched that in both of the sub and the dub. That was the most heartwrenching episode I have ever seen from the Pokemon anime and I cried while watching it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
if i had had any doubts about this new region, they were wiped out by this episode alone. the introduction of Ash to z-moves by tapu koko was incredible and even it looked shocked by pikachu's power

Kapu-Kokeko did seem impressed by Pikachu's powers, yet I always got the feeling that it knew that Satoshi and Pikachu were special from the very beginning when it saw them, and that it approached them for that reason.

Nyter

Island Challenger
This was a much better episode in implementing the characters. I liked seeing the strengths of each of them. The welcome party was cute.

Sophocles and Togedemaru. They are much stronger trainers than I believe they were going to be. Seeing them use Togedemaru's ability of Lightning Rod was amazing. It showed the great potential that little one has which, in my opinion, mirrors the game as well. Togedemaru may not be competitive top tier but it gets the job done, especially when I use it in the Battle Tree. My Togedemaru has the Sturdy Hidden ability, hyper trained, with Fake Out, Zing Zap, Iron Head, and Fell stinger and holds King's Rock to buff up its flinch causing percentage. I hope they show how great Yogedemaru really is In the anime.

Lana and Popplio are everything I hoped for. She is the silent Misty. I find her precocious but strong at what she does which is marine related activities. I really want to see this character develop. She plays the least to her femininity which intrigues me as to how the writers will direct her character.

Once Tapu Koko came into the picture, I saw sh!t got real. And that battle was good to see. I do not, however, like that the Z-crystal broke. Made no sense but whatever. Hopefully Pikachu's signature Z-move becomes the star Z-move.

I give this one a 7.1/10

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
One note, King's Rock's flinching chance does not stack with moves that inherently already cause flinching. It's effectively useless on a set like that. If I can make a suggestion for such a set, maybe run something like a Liechi Berry or a Salac Berry to combine with Sturdy.

Lunalah

This episode was so great because it gave me hope for what the Sun/Moon saga could become. In my opinion it never really picked up the same way that I wanted it to since things devolved into shenanigans galore after this point, but I like to think that the ideas shown here with the intro of the Pokemon school were planned to lead somewhere good at first.