• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Happy Dance Comes After a Quiz!? The Anistar Festival Showcase!! (894)

izmir

That's future kalos queen for you.I love the key's design by the way.

Great episode 8.5/10

DotKU

Champion
So Serena does win. Only one more until master performance! The animation was very very good for the episode, but it looks like the writers always have to rely on outside drama for these performances.

Xuxuba

Guy, that winning to a rival, who beat the rival, who beated you argument isn't very logical. If we are going by this, Ash's Kanto team should be better than Paul's team.

We saw a final showdown between Dawn and Zoey by the grand festival. Dawn lost to her. By that moment she was inferior to her.

@Topic:

Good Tripokalon episode. Nene's appearance was to short though. Don't like Serena already winning her second key. Would've been better if she lost due to the incident with Eevee and her winning with Sylveon later on.

8/10

Complain about the semantics of the word beat in my post as much as you want but the facts are:
a) Serena won and Shauna didn't and some people were complaining about that and said that XY was the only series who did that.
b) Dawn won and Zoey didn't.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Serena's performance was so entertaining and elegant, I absolutely loved it. Simple dance was far more appealing than her usual fire/dark sparkles. The music, while redundant, fit especially well with their performance. They should really give new moves to Pancham and Braixen to have more diversity in their future performances.

Seeing Nene leave so quickly was rather unfortunate, though. I wish we could've seen what her performances were like nowadays! But Serena's emotional moment with Eevee made that sour taste in my mouth go away. It wasn't anything big, but it was touching.

Special mention to Sana's rather repetitive but quite graceful performance. I liked her agility!

Loved the episode.

Last edited:

K.N.

I'm just going to have to accept these episodes aren't for me. I find absolutely nothing interesting about them other than some nice bits of animation.

I think my biggest problem with them is that in the writers' attempts to add Jessie to each one for a bit of comic relief, they make the grading criteria for who wins so nebulous that it becomes transparent the winning criteria is just "whoever the writers need to win so the plot can progress". (And as others have pointed out, it doesn't help that they screwed up their ability to pace Serena's character properly because they wasted about 50 episodes with her doing nothing) I know some people will point out that will be the case no matter what simply because it's a written show, but the point is that it's the writers' jobs to make me feel like there's some kind of consistent criteria to how these performers are graded. From where I stand, up to this point Jessie should've won just about every single episode we've seen her perform- her performances are always creative/original on top of not really being any less complex than what other performers are doing.

Performances also lack the head-to-head confrontation aspects the anime Contests used to have, but I can understand that they wanted them to be similar to the contests from the games. Really wish that since they went with that they would've aped the whole Cool/Tough/Beauty/Cute/Smart thing though, that would've solved the above problem and gave a really easy way for them to make each TriPokalon episode unique.

As for the whole discussion about Serena winning against her rival this early in the show, I personally don't have much of an issue with it myself, partly because of the above- the criteria for a good performance are too vague for me to simply say one of them is an outright better performer because the show doesn't even really show what a good performer is supposed to be. I guess Elle was supposed to be an example, but the show has never really explained or shown what exactly makes her performances so special.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
They really don't want Jessie to win these do they? :/

Kinda questioning why they even had her partake in these showcase's. Oh well maybe the next one (if Sylveon isn't plagued with plot armor in some way)...

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I personally didn't think this was great like the other two performances but it still was a fine episode. Hopefully when Eevee participates, we get to see new tricks from Serena.

Agreed. Apparently you need to battle each other to be considered rivals :rolleyes:

I consider Shauna and Nene (I guess Miette too) rivals but in my opinion, they kinda lack some magic that other rivals in the past did like Drew and Georgia but I don't think they're terrible like Kenny was (personally).

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
So this episode completely annihilated any interest I had in Showcases. Not that I had much in the first place.

Serena winning against a handful of rivals doesn't bode well for the Master Class whatever. She beat Shauna, her main rival, and it wasn't considered an impressive feat. A random insert character gave nothing to the episode. Jessie is still here just to have screen time. Honestly I hope Serena just wins out in her next Showcase to get this over with, or at least introduce an actual foil in the Snowbelle Showcase.

And, like Meowth climbing a rock wall, they're really reaching for themed rounds.

/mad about anime.

diakyu

I just really don't like that Serena won this one. I figure I would be fine if she was just up against Jessie and Nene. Shauna being here changes it for me. I guess it's a problem I have with XY in general. Both Ash's rivals so far have been defeated by Ash (embarrassingly so in Sawyer's case), establishing he's stronger than both of them. A rivalry doesn't have to be balanced in the general definition of the word, but an interesting one needs to be. I need to wonder who will come out on top or at least wonder how large the gap is in their abilities. Why do I have reason to believe Serena will ever be beaten by Shauna again? I mean yes, Shauna is gonna train more but so is Serena.

And this is the worst part, beyond Shauna, who is actually participating in these showcases that come off as competent? Jessie (writer's response, "LOL")? Miette, the girl who was originally a COTD who just randomly showed up to participate and got beat? Nene, come now her and her Pokemon are jokes. It's concerning about just how interesting these showcases will remain to be. Maybe things will change when we get to the Master Class but I just feel like now would have been the perfect time to cement Shauna as someone who is extremely competent at these showcases, at least more so than Serena (which she should be).

Beyond the this stuff though I think the episode was quite decent. The Theme Performance was good fun but the free performance felt far too samey, barring Jessie. I feel this will change though with Serena hopefully using Eevee in the next one and hopefully Shauna will showcase more of her pokemon. I'm glad Eevee's shyness is remaining a problem instead of magically disappearing. Also you GO bunnelby, GET THAT SCREENTIME.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Not very often you can say the power of plot denies TRio a win. FFS how has Jessie not won any of these so far?

jrizza88

Meteorite
LOL Serena hardly even cried, it wasn't even that emotional tbh.

Anyways great episode. I loved all the adorable Eevee moments, especially with Chespin. I also liked Pancham's and Smoochum's interactions and the Meowth and Sneasel rivalry as well. I loved Serena's performance here and I thought Jessie's was great too tbh. 10/10

i wish I agreed Eevee was adorable. Her shyness/being scared easy is already annoying me a lot. I am sure Eevee will do well in the next showcase, but cause Serena to lose. She'll probably evolve in the last one she'll need for the master class battle and evolve to win somehow.

Buizel97

Pokemon Champion
So this episode completely annihilated any interest I had in Showcases. Not that I had much in the first place.

Serena winning against a handful of rivals doesn't bode well for the Master Class whatever. She beat Shauna, her main rival, and it wasn't considered an impressive feat. A random insert character gave nothing to the episode. Jessie is still here just to have screen time. Honestly I hope Serena just wins out in her next Showcase to get this over with, or at least introduce an actual foil in the Snowbelle Showcase.

And, like Meowth climbing a rock wall, they're really reaching for themed rounds.

/mad about anime.

i sadly have to agree its sad because i wanted showcases to do well but they arent being handled as well as they should. I wish nene could perform its hard to treat her as a performer when she didnt perform. also serena's random problems are getting annoying and takes away from other performances

Squirtle_007

The final episode of the Serena trilogy:
- This episode made me realize why I'm not as invested in Pokémon Showcases as I wish: If writers seems to care more about the drama than in the competition itself, they're not doing a very good job selling them, I mean, Shauna's appeal was the same as the Coumarine Showcase but only with Ivysaur, Jessie's appeal wasn't even shown (thank you, Eevee) and Serena's appeal was interrupted ... with a flashback ... when the drama got resolved (-_-)
- I'm very pleased with how Shauna, Tierno and Trevor have nice, dynamic and independent personalities unlike their in-game counterparts that are just the main character's groundnoses bringing nothing to the table ... *sigh*, I even kinda wish they were the main companions instead of The Ash Cult Serena, Clemont and Bonnie
- I found kinda "cliché" how they wanted to remove the Beauty Queen's stigma with a Quiz round ... just like in real life ... but hey, at least they looked good with the uniforms
- Is really depressing how Serena and Clemont's Pokémon hace more dynamic relationships when their trainers doesn't give a crap about each other, Chespin and Pancham being bros and Bunnelby protecting Eevee ... so much wasted potential, but the writers decided Serena and Clemont just ignore each other
- I felt bad for the Solrock glasses blondie, she didn't got a chance to answer a question
- Nini's appeareance felt so ... unnecessary
- Serena, Tierno worships you as a goddess, give the big guy a chance, face it, Ash won't give a crap about anything he can't scan with his Pokédex

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Complain about the semantics of the word beat in my post as much as you want but the facts are:
a) Serena won and Shauna didn't and some people were complaining about that and said that XY was the only series who did that.
b) Dawn won and Zoey didn't.

a) No we can't exactly call that. Free performances aren't really battles to each other, since they are just showing the audience their combos. After that, they decide who should win. There's no real confrontation between them.
b) Did they confront each other? No. She won because she wasn't in her way. Look at the finals by the grand festival. They battled each other and who won at that time? Zoey

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Truth tea. Jessie's performances here are a little...all over the place, unlike how good she was in the Sinnoh contests.

She has no idea what she's doing imho. I found her Pumpkaboo theme performance thing to be nice ages ago, but now I'm questioning why she's still participating in these things.