• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Happy Dance Comes After a Quiz!? The Anistar Festival Showcase!! (894)

LizardonX

Banned
Truth tea. Jessie's performances here are a little...all over the place, unlike how good she was in the Sinnoh contests.

Personally I felt like James was still better but she was at least competent over there.

I liked how Serena is wearing her original showcase dress. I was afraid that she would just wear something new every time and we'd never see it again, despite it being a surprise present from her mother that got a total stage time of like 30 seconds in her first showcase.

I also thought it was pretty cool that Divafox is styled in the same way as she was back in the theme performance in Coumarine (as a little divakin), complete with white hat with pink ribbon, skirt and blue tail beads. She even also has her pink bowtie, but the ends are now cut very, very short :p

izmir

Now I get it...

Dendemille (Dark blue key) > Theme: Poké Puff baking > Food > ASH
Anistar (Aqua blue key) > Theme: Quiz > Knowledge > CLEMONT

Looks like it's Bonnie's turn.

Navin

MALDREAD
Mal's Review-

Ehh...

Pros:

* Quiz outfits +1

* Farfetch'd - top kek

* Good job Meowth

* Cool Appeals Free Performances

Cons:

* I can imagine the "Serena is a Mary Sue" argument has only increased. Breezed through the quiz questions. Handily won the Free Performance..

* Serena winning might be more acceptable if they ever showed more of Shauna's, Jessie's, or other opponents' FPs. They only ever flesh out Serena's..

* Shauna's ballerina act, and Jessie's fireworks looked just as awesome?!??

* Actually, this is why having judges, even if they weren't the best for Contests, is ideal, because they actually might explain why Serena's FP is superior rather than leaving it to a vague, subjective audience fan vote..

* Another randomly inserted side drama (Eevee hiding in the lobby) that took away time from showing more Free Performances, the actual interesting part of the Showcases..

Thoughts:

* First Performance, she screwed up, otherwise she'd probably have done well in the FP. Second Performance, she topped Millefui. Third Performance, she topped Shauna and Nene. Not much rivalry threat for Serena..

Yay, Serena won! But this episode, and Serena's Showcase goal as a whole, is problematic.

5-6/10

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
This episode was quite unexpected.
Serena won the Showcase, despite Eevee getting lost during the Showcase. It's one of the most surprising moments in the XY anime for now.
Overall, it was fairly decent.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
My favorite part was the performance VS screen. Other things happened too but that was what I liked. If I had to choose between being a battle type of pokemon trainer and a performance type, I would clearly choose battle, so maybe I am a little bit bias?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Bringing Nene back was completely unnecessary. Oh look, there she is then soon after, bye Nene! And she is gone for the rest of the episode.
At least her Farfetch'd is still awesome. I loved his face when she answered the Sylveon question wrong.

Eevee running off during the best performance. Go figure.....

And last of all "The people of Kalos have no taste!" I agree with you Jessie. You deserve a key by now.

Serena needs to suffer a loss she doesn't cry over.

3/10

Pokegirl0102

Oh god it feels like we just had one of these performance episodes not too long ago, and didn't like how Nene was just there to say hey and bye, shouldve saved her for the next performance, next week should be the gym battle and looking forward to seeing Olympia animated

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Minnie/Nene seems to be a little too arrogant, don't you think? It's a wonder Serena and Shauna just kept smiling at her while she so obviously kept boasting how good(?) she is. Then once she loses, she's back to being a decent friend... Weird. It's time for her to receive the Scottie Sawyer treatment and suddenly show up with three keys next time.

Eh. The performances weren't that good. It was a little silly to see Shauna "flying" around the Fairy Wind just remembering that she's being held by two vines, Jessie's was just her hogging the screen before her Gourgeist just added a bit of fireworks, and of course Serena's is longer and obviously overshadowed the rest while still looking a tad repetitive with Braixen and Pancham.

Please, Eevee, do something in the next performance, and evolve so I don't label you as a similar AXEW.

This was an ok episode. Nothing too exciting besides Serena winning her second showcase.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I quite enjoyed this episode. I thought that the quiz round was pretty neat and most of the free performance rounds were pretty cool. I liked Eevee in this episode as well and the little drama of it getting frightened off was nice. I'm glad that Serena won her second key as well. I didn't care much for Jessie and her performance in this episode though tbh; it feels like she's being forced into these just because she has to participate in a secondary quest against the female lead imo.
Anyways I rate this episode 9/10

Vipsoccermaster

Fine episode. Nice to see Serena winning again, and some Eevee drama. Eevee seems to be afraid and shy still, but the group is doing all they can to try help calm Eevee down. Nini had a nice quick appearance, but yeah, it was so short it felt like she wasn't there at all. After the end of the Showcase, it was shown that Eevee really want to perform in the next Showcase.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
So... They left only one theme from the original soundtrack (the Hall of Fame one at the end, as always). Keep ruining the music!

Pikachu52

Well there goes 20 minutes of my life I won't be getting back. It was a very disappointing episode overall. The Showcase itself was terrible.The Quiz round made no sense. I don't see what effect having Pokémon chase after rubber balls or arrange fruit in a basket will have on their trainer's ability to get a question right. That seemed like something choreographed to make it interesting for the audience rather than a test of skill. And similarly the tasks were different for Jessie Serena and Shauna which means it's not exactly a fair comparison between the competitors. The audience is voted for the winner in the second round, which is hardly fair since it's quite obvious Ash, James and Tierno were going to vote for their friend. The whole Pokémon Showcase competition has the feel of a rather cheap and nasty gameshow or a Pokémon version of the controversial Miss America Pageant - Put on for the audience, requires little skill and abuses it's competitors. Having Eevee freak out and run away during the performance was an unexpected but surprisingly good twist. It injected a bit of drama into an otherwise straightforward episode and gave Serena an opportunity to show how much she care's about Eevee. It was kinda sweet the way she was hugging it when it found her. That being said that scene lasted for less than five minutes and ended up being anti-climatic, so it wasn't really enough to save it. All Eevee does is hide under a chair and run to Serena when it hears her voice. To be honest I ended up skipping Serena and Shauna's performances.

2/10

Soniman

Break the Limit
d. The whole Pokémon Showcase competition has the feel of a rather cheap and nasty gameshow or a Pokémon version of the controversial Miss America Pageant - Put on for the audience, requires little skill and abuses it's competitors.

You can hate the Showcases all you want, but I dont think it's exactly fair to assume Serena and other competitors who work at it and have "little skill" when it's obviously not true when you actuall look at what goes into them and the amount of choreography that kind of thing requires (then again you appparently didnt bother to watch the actual performances so...), It feels like Contests when they were introduced and people were saying the same things about May to make light of her successes (since that also required 'putting on a show').

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit
Contests are similar to Showcases so I guess they must be beauty pageants then as well? :rolleyes:

Because both goals main hook l is having the characters standing around looking pretty and no amount of skill or work is invovled whatsoever I suppose :)

Wait, no it's not

Pikachu52

You can hate the Showcases all you want, but I dont think it's exactly fair to assume Serena and other competitors who work at it and have "little skill" when it's obviously not true when you actuall look at what goes into them and the amount of choreography that kind of thing requires (then again you appparently didnt bother to watch the actual performances so...), It feels like Contests when they were introduced and people were saying the same things about May to make light of her successes (since that also required 'putting on a show').

It's not so much the second stage that's the problem it was the first. To actually be able to get to the part of the contest where competitors get to show their routines, they had to answer a bunch of pointless questions while wearing silly bathrobes and graduation caps. And they weren't entitled to answer those questions unless their Pokémon completed a difficult task first. How exactly does a Pokémon's ability to pick fruit, climb a wall or dig for a ball affect their trainer's ability to answer a trivia question about Pokémon, How exactly does this create team work between trainer and Pokémon when the tasks are in no way interrelated, why does the trainer need to be able to answer such questions in order to be able to carry out their performance and why is the task that the Pokémon has to do to earn the right to answer the question different between each group. And why is the first stage of the competition different in every showcase - There are very few official sporting events that would have such rules, it seems like a Pokémon gameshow.