• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The hardest game you've ever played

Seiryu

Resident dragon
Hm. Off the top of my head:

Ninja Gaiden/NG II. The NES versions, that is. I don't recall ever getting past the third level in either game. Damn birds always hitting you in the middle of precarious leaps...

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels. Let's just say that there's a reason why, in Super Mario All-Stars, the game would start you over at the beginning of each individual level after a Game Over, rather than the start of the world. There's a reason it's listed on TVTropes's Platform Hell page, rather than their Nintendo Hard one. The first game with poisonous mushrooms, powerups that are otherwise rare enough that you'll spend the majority of your time one hit from death, new platforming elements, Warp Zones that force you to restart the entire game...I could go on. This's probably the one I'd pick; even though I beat it, it took an ungodly number of tries.

Odin Sphere on the PS2 for more recent games. It's a side-scrolling Action-RPG/Beat-'Em-Up that continues the tradition of Atlus releasing challenging games. Put simply, near the end of each character's story, even the regular enemies will be powerful enough to kill you in just a few hits unless you've done some massive power-levelling. Like, two or three hits in some cases. In fact, one area has enemies that one-hit-kill you if they explode on you, and another focuses largely on the annoyance factor--they hit you once, you're open to more attacks from all sides. Good thing pretty much everything else about the game rocks as well.

shadowkami

Internet Hustla'
I Guess none of you have ever played any of the Touhou games on Lunatic difficulty. Try defeating a boss while at the same time dodging over 1000 bullets per 1/2 second. Now that's hard.

600th post! I'm on the hoenn league bitches! erm... my friends!

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
F-Zero GX was rather hard. I did however manage to beat all the chapters except 1 and 7 on Very Hard, which I beat on hard. I also beat a staff ghost without making a custom car to beat it, so yeah me. I probably could unlock and beat Master Mode, but I'm not playing that game currently.

kasmeargy

Trauma Center for the DS.
Paraskevi. ENOUGH SAID.

Personally, I found Triti much more annoying. Paraskevi was the worm, right? Trauma Center's up there on the list of hard games for me. Milon's Secret Castle is above it though, just because of how well written the "hints" in the game were. I find Streets of Rage to be hard too, but then again I've never been great at beat-em-ups.

Electivirus

Not really, no.
Personally, I found Triti much more annoying. Paraskevi was the worm, right? Trauma Center's up there on the list of hard games for me. Milon's Secret Castle is above it though, just because of how well written the "hints" in the game were. I find Streets of Rage to be hard too, but then again I've never been great at beat-em-ups.

I found Triti to be rather simple once you got the whole thorns/respawning pattern down.

Paraskevi was just plain hard. Every time you cut it, it just divides itself, takes a massive chunk out of your vitals, and just keeps going. The healing touch didn't even help me much. I remember beating it out of sheer luck.

kirby8933083

mai husbando
Tetris.

I haven't had any games that were too terribly hard, but I am frustrated with a certain Spyro game I have, can't remember the title of the game atm though. What I find that's so hard about it is to get to the supposed final boss you have to find every single fairy. Now I think I'm missing 2-3 fairies. I can make through the worlds fine without dying, but I can not handle the layout of these areas. I always miss the most obvious areas that have the fairies so half the time I'm just retracing my steps for the 30th time or so when I think I've looked at the grounds inside and out. So I've given up with the tedious job of searching around for these final few fairies.

Nidogod

I Guess none of you have ever played any of the Touhou games on Lunatic difficulty.

They're pretty to watch, but I can't even begin to process what's happening. :p

Mimori Kiryu

I don't recall many hard games. :/ But I remember Aladdin on the SNES being a pain. So yeah.
I whole heartedly agree. The scene when you have to escape the cave on the carpet kicked my arse so many times as a kid...

Ninja Gaiden II for the XBox360 was challenging when I first started playing it. After a while I got the hang of it but the bosses were crap hard. :/ Then I played Tenchu Z for the XBox360 and I suck at games where you have to sneak around to win. Drives me insane.

Tetris Attack for the SNES was a game I had to work so hard at when I was younger. I wanted to be really fast like my mom, so I played it day in and day out. I was good enough at eight years old to play the super hard mode but Bowser always beat me with x10 or x12 combos. Ten years later, I finally beat him. :p

And it's not really a hard game, but Baroque (PS2, Wii) was an annoying game. My friend and I played it for six freakin' hours, made it to the final floor but couldn't figure out where to go. Our character died of starvation and we had to start over again. xP I still don't understand that game.

NPC

sleep researcher
I remember being pissed off immensely by the original Prince of Persia.

I Guess none of you have ever played any of the Touhou games on Lunatic difficulty. Try defeating a boss while at the same time dodging over 1000 bullets per 1/2 second. Now that's hard.

Well, i have played them, and find them fun...Because no matter what, it's reduced to determine those devilish patterns. Most times what kills me in that difficulty is the fact of a loose bullet that goes over....or homing ones along with the patterned rain.

Want something very hard to dodge when it comes to bullet hells?
Ever played GigaWing, from Capcom?
The last boss...we call it in spanish "Oropendola" (i think it can be translated to "Golden Bird")...has three phases of bullet hells, then comes the hard part (even in level 4 is hard, in level 9....), it's heart.
That Golden Bird's Heart when it is in the ultimate phase...it goes insane. Rather than send you showering patterns, it just sprays the entire screen with randomized barrages of bullets that mess up all the screen. There are so much of them, in so many colors that you can hardly know which spot is safe and which not.

If you manage to beat that in level 9, without dying once, then you can consider yourself a true Bullet Hell Master.

I remember being pissed off immensely by the original Prince of Persia.

OH! How to forget this one!. I especially hated the PC version. Whenever you had the chance of getting the shortcuts, the timer set itself from the 50+ minutes to just 15 EFFIN' MINUTES LEFT!, you barely get to Jaffar within that time limit, but hell, that required that you already knew the game, and had next to zero error margin on every move you did.

Last edited:

S.Bustathedog

What's this for? ^
I think Midnight club is hard, and so is Crackdown if you dont know which things to level up :/

Mariku -- kitten

Toshiya lover<3
I have a pretty hard time playing the Silent Hill games. I've decided to quit playing them and just watch.

-The Legend of Zelda (I never got past the fourth or fifth dungeon of the second quest)
-Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (I never defeated the first dungeon)
-Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (Just insane when it comes to the bosses)