• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hardest Gym Leader of All Time

Cutty

Forever now
Some give me difficulties like Clair and Chili/Cilan/Cress.
But never beat me so far.

soundxfury

I don't think any of them are particularly hard, I usually take the time to try training my Pokemon at least 5 levels higher than what I expect the gym leader to be.
But of all the leaders I think I had the most trouble with Norman the first time I played through Emerald. I remember I went with Treecko as my starter, so I didn't have the fighting advantage of Combusken/Blaziken, and I don't recall having any fighting Pokemon with me for some reason. So yeah, back in my first Emerald playthrough I got beat by Norman a few times, but other than him I've done pretty well.

Ferrin

Easily Lost
lenora's gym because of her retaliating watchog :505: with hypnosis. we did more training to take that hit,,and watchog ignored hypnosis on a rematch :)

TherianForm

King of TM87
Brock in Yellow. Damn that Onix . All I had was Pikachu :(

octoboy

I Crush Everything
My foolish choice of the fire starter in Red made Misty the most memorably difficult gym leader for me. Those stars left me seeing stars. It didn't help that I hadn't managed to find a pikachu in the forest, so the only electric type I had was my cousin's unruly magnemite.

Come to think of it, I really wonder how I managed to get past Brock more easily, considering I would have faced him with a team of nothing but bug, normal and flying types and my fire starter. Maybe he wasn't an easy opponent either, and Misty just sticks with me more.

But I guess the extreme brokenness of can't move moves caused fire spin to be worth all the struggling with the early gyms.

SamtheUlfr

Hm..
I remember having problems with Whitney, Pryce, and Brawly.
I hated Brawly.
Oh and Norman.

Clair and Norman, usually. Now that I think about it, I remember having problems with Koga before, too. I've never lost to any of them though.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
whitney.........stupid miltank:( fortunately with time and patience(did I spell that right) she became MUCH easier to beat than when I was cute and little:DBWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I'm not sure if I'd call her the hardest of all time, but Lenora's definitely one of it not the hardest gym leader I've ever fought. Retaliate is just ridiculously broken for the 2nd gym. Most of the rest of the time I lost to a gym leader, it was because of a poor choice in my team (for instance, I had trouble with Brawly in Emerald because I used a Taillow against him).

dd1zzle

The first time playing Ruby, I had the hardest time with Winona and Tate/Liz. It took me at least 15 tries for both leaders, it sucked.

ebevan91

I remembered I kept using Surf or a water attack on Elesa.....She was easy since my Dewott was high level, nya~

I beat 2 of her Pokemon with my Dewott a few days ago. One of her Emolgas was almost down so I used Dewott to take it out, then I sent out a ground type Pokemon so Zebstrika would use a non-electric move, then I switched back to Dewott since the move Zebstrika used wouldn't be electric, and got a critical hit OHKO.

ArcanineShrine014029

Clair, without a doubt. Her Kingdra is at an especially high level, and its weakness, Dragon, is very rare to find among moves your Pokemon may have at that point in the game.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
For me it was Steven Stone... I had to level my Pokemon a bit more to finally beat him >.<