• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The hardest starter to beat the game with?

hardest starter to beat the game with?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrona

Charmander definitely.

I'm always forced to evolve that stupid Caterpie, or train my Charmander around level 20 to beat brock, and don't even mention Misty. This is why Squirtle is awesome.

S31R31

The 90's
Who's squirtlw?

OT

Charmander

Charmander is the hardest starter for me.
Its hard enough to get Charmander strong enough before you battle with Brock, but then theres the battle with Misty which is even harder...

Archgemini24

Enter the Dragon.
I have always felt Charmander is the hardest to start and beat the game with. Brock usually is not the one that is the problem for me, though, because a Charmeleon with Ember, even though it is NVE, still puts Charmeleon's Special against theirs, and, depending on what moves they use, you can win a race against them (even moreso if you score a burn; I used to get Onix a lot). Misty was always the issue, as her Starmie is capable of blasting Charmeleon, Pikachu and Butterfree (often comprising of 3/4 or 3/5 of my team at that point when I played Red or FireRed) into next week with Bubblebeam (and later Water Pulse).

Even in the FRLG remakes, I would still say Charmander is the hardest. It gets Metal Claw to get past Brock, but Misty still puts it a very tight bind.

Squirtle has always been the easiest for me. The type coverage it can get on its attacks helps it get around types that should be strong against it. It could also use Dig for Surge and Ice Beam for Erika without going out of your way to overtrain or get the appropriate TMs. Someone earlier pretty much stuck their tongue out at type coverage, but that is a pretty ridiculous thing to do or to discount. Surf, Ice Beam, Earthquake and your favorite fourth move can almost trivialize the endgame (I liked Body Slam or Bite), let alone what it get through before that. There is a reason Squirtle is the starter chosen for a lot of the speed runs you see.

Outside of Charmander, Pikachu might be the hardest to play through the game with, because it has even less defense than Charmander, cannot evolve before Brock and has its best move at the time completely neutralized by Brock's Pokemon (meaning it has to use NVE Normal type attacks against the defense of Rock types). Pikachu is then neutralized again by Giovanni, even though it could have better moves by then.

Bulbasaur I have less experience with than the others, but being able to get by the first two gym leaders purely on its type and STAB, then being resistant against the next two usually gave me more than enough time to get it prepped for the endgame. He can have trouble with Blaine, Koga and Sabrina due to his types overleveled, but Venusaur can use Earthquake and Body Slam to great effect.

I can see and understand the arguments for any starter but Squirtle.

BM14murph

Master Collector
Has to be bulbasaur

i remember none of my friends would choose him cuz of it lol

we were all pretty much squirtle though bar like one lol

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
All are great when they reach their evolved forms. However, at the beginning, Charmander is the hardest to use, because of the Pewter and Cerulean Gyms.

Red1062

So Cool
I think Bulbasaur was the hardest. He helped in the beginning but he was so hard to train for me. Charmander was the easiest for me.

Rad3n

Banned
Venusaur definitely. Charmander is hardest at first, but later on it's by far the best of the three. Beating the Elite Four with grass moves doesn't work. The first Type is Ice iirc! Not good for Venusaur, but alright for Blastiose and Charizard.

bulb182

It dosn't really matter who you start with because you can just catch another pokemon to beat trainers with an advantage over the starter...

mudkip master

Surf's up Mudkip
bulbasaur because of the elitle four owns it with super effective atks

diablo_200525

ミッドナイト ミュウツー
Let's look at this shall we... Im going to say charmander becuase it would really need a teamate to face brock and his rock types. After somehow beating him there is Misty with Water Types that... well isnt charmanders or charmeleons fortay. The only plus is against erika with grass.. Then the down falls again would be against Blaine with fire same as charizard (Above lv 36 by then) Then there is Giovanni with ground types. Things wouldnt be going to well with Charizard now. If that isnt enough stress for him/her. There is Lorlei in the Elite 4 that would give Charizard a hard time.
So long story short. Charmander would most certainly be the hardest

Last edited:

Aeron

Bum Eyes
Have to agree with the majorita, Charmander is a killer to start with, but boy is it all worth it when he turns into the mighty Charizard!!
SCOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTCCCCCCCCCHHHHHH!!

Too Funk to Druck

I am America
In the beginning of the game, I would say Charizard, but unless you were doing a solo run, by the end of the game, you should have a team that covers Charizard's weaknesses. Same with other starters.

tl;dr: Charmander is hard to start with, but it's pretty even otherwise.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Bulbasaur. Every time I use him, I struggle to even get to Cerulean, as there are so many Bug Catchers, kids with Spearows/Pidgeys, and TR Grunts with freakin Zubat.

In contrast, the easiest starter by far is Squirtle.

yeminied

Bulbasaur seems to me the hardest starter to beat the game with.Venusaur doesn't learn that many good attacks.

While Charmander is weak in the beginning there are decent Pokemon to cover its weaknesses and Charizard is so strong with such good attacks. So my vote goes to Bulbasaur.

RANK UP!!! W00Ties and L0Lies

Last edited:
Charmander definitely, the only way you can beat Brock without training Charmander up to level 25 is by catching a Chuck Norris.

Status
Not open for further replies.