• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hero Lilliel and the Alolan Cane! (1036)

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
It was an ok episode to me. I thought the plot felt random and some parts are hard to get invested but we got to see some references of past animes and franchises like Lina Inverse from Slayer and Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop that come into my mind. Poor Team Rocket didn't get credit for their roles in the act because Bewear took them and blast away near the end. Jessie sure likes to glorify herself as a perfect actress.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Okay, this makes sense.
Jessie arriving uninvited and rewriting the script gave Rotom Dex the motive to rework everything into a colossal fanfic.

School plays have always been awkward and this is one way to make it special.

Otherwise, this episode gets a 8/10.

It's another filler episode and I enjoyed watching something turn into pure chaos.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It was rather boring....
I only bothered watching it to see the Eevee scene. Eevee's hair style definitely looks a lot better animated than in a picture, also makes him look less emo

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
I liked the Pokémon Quest cameo via the pokémon's blocky costumes

Also when Lana and Kiawe dressed up as their pokémon while the pokémon dressed up as the moves

A very creative Filler that does all the usual "School Play" plots

"Whoops, someone crashed the play, time to improvise"
"The audience liked it anyway"

Also got to retell the Ultra Necrozma legend for the billionth time

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
So, during that whole montage of the play devolving into complete randomness (starting with the robot fight), what was that music? It sounds like something from the games to me, but I can't actually place it, and I guess it's possible that it's just from some movie or something.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
So, during that whole montage of the play devolving into complete randomness (starting with the robot fight), what was that music? It sounds like something from the games to me, but I can't actually place it, and I guess it's possible that it's just from some movie or something.
It's not even from the games as I recall and it's exclusive to the anime I believe. I don't think it was ever heard anywhere else.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I felt that the Chespin and Piplup story was made on the spot and it wasn’t based on anything. But then it’s possible there could be some Mystery Dungeon basis on it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
AznKei said:
It was an ok episode to me. I thought the plot felt random and some parts are hard to get invested but we got to see some references of past animes and franchises like Lina Inverse from Slayer and Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop that come into my mind.

I loved the references to other anime here, although I admit that the Slayers reference flew over my head when I first saw the episode.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
This episode was...nuts. Just nuts. Frankly, Ash and his friends deserve gold stars for managing to perform so well, especially given that they were still reviewing their scripts right before the play started. I went from anticipating comical moments where the students read: Ash forget their lines, to wondering how on earth they managed to pull everything together out of thin air.

Originally, I wasn't looking forward to this episode because of Team Rocket's interference (I felt Jessie's role could have been taken by one of Ash's classmates, who more desperately need spotlight), but—and I can't believe I, of all people, am about to say this—Jessie totally stole the show, literally and figuratively. Or, to be more specific, Megumi Hayashibara stole the show. You could just tell she was having fun in this episode, and as a result, Jessie was probably one of the best things about this episode.

I now feel an urge to crawl under my desk after admitting that.

Apparently, I need to brush up on my anime. There were many references that were familiar but that I couldn't quite place. I did, however, recognize most of the characters the multiple Jessies were portraying—even those from anime I've never actually seen, simply because I recognized the art style and the character designs. And I recognized enough of them to realize that all of them were characters Megumi Hayashibara has voiced. I actually cheered a little at the sight of some of them, such as female Ranma Saotome (Ranma 1/2), Faye Valentine (Cowboy Bebop), and Rei Ayanami (Neon Genesis Evangelion).

ALL HAIL MEGUMI HAYASHIBARA!

DatsRight

I've noticed TR have had three episodes in a row now that WEREN'T repetitive or annoying and actually had a funny standoff with the hero cast. I'm hoping the remaining season of SM continues this effort to bring them out of the very bland rivalry they had for most of late XY-early SM (hopefully Mallow doesn't need them to pad anymore episodes).

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
what did rotom even read about the UBs? The UB episodes of the vanilla SM games?

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
what did rotom even read about the UBs? The UB episodes of the vanilla SM games?

Did you even watch the Ultra Guardians episodes? Rotom downloaded the data on the beast of the episode nearly every time the UG get ready for the mission.

He had that data in his banks since then.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
About the UB stuff, I wished that they were shown on screen to show the full effect of the play. Instead a lot of what was seen was from Rotom's data and Ash and some of his classmates running around in the dressing room in UB costumes.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I haven't seen this episode yet and won't until the dub comes out. I'm actually here to comment on the Eevee short (if there's a place for those shorts, direct me there). Now, I got enticed to see it once I was told it had no narration (you know, the thing every Pikachu short except Pikachu's Rescue Adventure abuses to treat its viewers like morons), and I gotta say, it's the most watchable the JP version will ever be. Only the music is a problem. It's tolerable (mainly since it's drawing from a saga I know isn't XY) and edited badly (nothing new for Masafumi Mima), but it somehow manages not to drag everything else down. The voicework is okay and the animation's amazing. And luckily I don't need to let an entire JP episode try to kill me in order to get to the shorts, as they're up online officially on Pokemon's JP Youtube channel. I'll be watching each short as they premiere.

(Of course, if these shorts do get dubbed, I'll definitely gravitate to those.)

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
‪It's weird for me to say this because I usually like the last theme song of a region the most, but I liked this morning's new theme song LESS than "Under the Alolan Moon" which is still my ringtone‬

Wow Ash's mom and Mr. Mime!

I like Mallow's costume

Out of the 4 Tapus, Sophocles is the slowest at changing lol

Lol at "Kiagaleo"

I didn't recognize Tapu Fini's silhouette on the WTP

Sarah and Harper are so funny. Their antics in today's episode got me even more hyped for tomorrow's based on its description

Lol this play makes no sense whatsoever

When did baseball and police get involved in some mythical quest of Lillier and the Staff. And why is Lillie about to make out with Mallow. LMAO

ASHOZMA

Lol at Ash and Kiawe doing the lines for Pikachu and Turtonator

Omg what's this "where are you going Eevee" thing after the last commercial break

Why is its hair covering its face lol

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
really? Ashozma? I was hoping they'd go for Necrozmash

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Necrozmash would have definitely been less forced.

‪Omg what's this "where are you going Eevee" thing after the last commercial break
There's going to be segments like that for the next few episodes. The JP version had these after the credits. I'm actually a bit surprised the dub included them though, as it normally cuts all the post-episode bonus content... It's a good thing they kept it though, being that it eventually becomes plot-relevant. And while the show does recap all the segments in the episode where it becomes relevant, having the shorts beforehand makes that recap feel like less of an overly heavy-handed infodump. (I mean I actually don't particularly like said recap-scene in the first place...)

I completely forgot there was going to be an Eevee segment in this episode, but I did catch it on Pokemon's Twitter. I knew the premise of this episode from the Japanese airing, but I didn't expect to enjoy it - but I did! I get why some people are saying it lacked focus, but as a filler, this one seemed pretty unique and interesting. I also appreciate how they all dressed as the Ultra Beasts that they had encountered. Just some nice recognition of what they've been through as the Ultra Guardians. Overall, I would say this episode might be more entertaining than Hawlucha's play episode from XY.