• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero - DLC Speculation & Discussion Thread

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Looking at the list, if this is accurate the only Pokemon that will be missing from the Switch games will be the other two Unova Starters, Elemental Monkeys, Watchog, and Furfrou. The Starters are weird as going off of the list we'll have the Kanto, Johto, and Alola Starters present so having them still omitted is pretty odd.

Also, happy to see Mightyena, Chandelure, and Kommo-o will be back, along with Zebstrika.
The Kalos and Galar starters are omitted from the list even though we know they are in the game. We know Oshawott is in and it is also omitted, so I guess the Unova trio just wasn't included in the list as well.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Looking at the list, if this is accurate the only Pokemon that will be missing from the Switch games will be the other two Unova Starters, Elemental Monkeys, Watchog, and Furfrou. The Starters are weird as going off of the list we'll have the Kanto, Johto, and Alola Starters present so having them still omitted is pretty odd.

Also, happy to see Mightyena, Chandelure, and Kommo-o will be back, along with Zebstrika.

SMH if true, any amount of Pokemon missing from the Switch games at this point is downright unacceptable. Zero reason whatsoever why the remaining Pokemon can't just be included.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Hopefully Roserade returns in one of the DLC, would like to use my shiny one from Legends: Arceus. Regarding the new Pokémon it is great we get Pokémon based off Momotaro‘s (the Peach Boy) animal companions, Fezandipiti would be my favourite of the three. 50/50 on whether Ogerpon is Momotaro or an oni.

Also Terapagos looks very cool, nice touch the symbols for the Pokemon types are on its shell.

divinepokemonXZ

ALL HAIL THE GORILLA-FROG!
I think that Paldea isn't based on Spain at all.
You're trolling, right?

The name literally has the Spanish word for "village" in it. There are two regional forms of Tauros, a bull Pokemon, in this game. Spaniards eat a lot of sandwiches and sandwiches are in the game. A lot of the food items are Spanish or Mexican. The starters have some influence from Spanish culture, or at least the cultures of countries founded by Iberians (Mexico, for example). The countryside itself is very Spanish, too. There are other things I could list, too.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
You're trolling, right?

The name literally has the Spanish word for "village" in it. There are two regional forms of Tauros, a bull Pokemon, in this game. Spaniards eat a lot of sandwiches and sandwiches are in the game. A lot of the food items are Spanish or Mexican. The starters have some influence from Spanish culture, or at least the cultures of countries founded by Iberians (Mexico, for example). The countryside itself is very Spanish, too. There are other things I could list, too.
Its RileyXY1, they are never trolling, they just have really really out there assumptions about Pokemon games.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Okay crazy thought but in the Japanese themed DLC what if Hassel's dragon clan is from there?

divinepokemonXZ

ALL HAIL THE GORILLA-FROG!
I believe that Paldea is actually based on the Japanese island of Shikoku. The region just feels more Japanese than Spanish.
:confused:

Uh, I don't mean to be condescending but have you visited either Spain OR Japan in real life?

I've visited Japan before, and even though it was only a one-time trip I was there long enough that I intuitively know what Japan's countryside looks like. Hint: lots of mountains that are covered in trees. Mountain forests are rare in Paldea, the only area that really counts is maybe the Socarrat Trail or possibly parts of Glaseado Mountain (which certainly resembles the Pyrenees more than it resembles Mount Fuji, but other than that most of Paldea's trees are in its flatter regions ... if I recall correctly. And all the architecture definitely looks far more European than East Asian. Especially in Mesagoza. Though if anything I think some of the southern regions, especially near the Poco Path feel vaguely South American.

I haven't visited Spain in person but I know enough about the country from doing worldbuilding research on it for a fantasy novel that I can definitely say Paldea captures at the very least its range of geography and climate (with the exception of that bizarrely placed bamboo forest at the northern edge which, now that I think about it, may have been a hint to Kitakami).

Luthor

With these new areas I wonder if these will be treated as separate to Paldea from a gameplay perspective. For example regional variants. Assuming they are considered separate from paldea It's not a completely new idea given in gen 7 if you evolved certain pokemon in ultra space they would evolve into their non alolan forms. This might be a way to get regular tauros via breeding for those who don't use home.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I wonder. Maybe Blueberry is where the other professor went to after leaving the other and Arven?

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
I hope we get to see the base game characters in the SV DLC and that they don't get shafted for the new ones, I liked seeing the Galar gym leaders chilling in the Isle of Armor

ShadowForce720

Hmmm not a big fan of the idea that we'll have to wait till Fall/Winter to get the DLC.
But at least there's confirmation that we get some.
Also...considering how different their desgins are...what was the point of that artwork that showed the Legendary Beasts and 4 Swords as fused forms?
This is just a thought but what if we’re going to be getting Paradox mons based on the other legendary beasts and Swords of Justice to hold us over until the 1st part of the DLC comes out.

So maybe it could break down like this where we get them every three months:

February: Walking Wake(based off of Suicune) and Iron Leaves(based off of Virizion)

May: Paradox Mon based off of Entei, Paradox Mon based off of Terrakion

August: Paradox Mon based off of Raikou, Paradox Mon based off of Cobalion

September: 1st part of the DLC comes out
December: 2nd Part of the DLC comes out

Sponge

I really love Ogerpon and Terapagos designs. Also like Fezandipiti. (love the name!) Munkidori is growing on me, it really looks like it jumped out of Yokai Watch. (not necessarily a bad thing)

Not really sold on Okidogi though, I thought it was like a buff Sprigatito evolution when I first saw it. XD

Indifferent towards the paradox mons, they're ok I don't have a preference.

I feel like overall they've really been killing it with the legendary designs this gen.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
I hope all of the beasts are weird dinosaur things if they do get paradox forms but it might just be Suicune who gets one

I like Terapagos' design quite a lot. The type pattern on its back is perhaps a bit too on the nose for me but otherwise it's excellent. Nice to finally have another minogame inspired pokémon besides Wartortle, who dropped the theme as soon as it got it.

I need to see more of Ogerpon. The mask theme is pretty cool, but how it works in action may make or break it for me. I wonder if the tera-like parts of the mask are tied to the terastal phenomenon, and if so if it is tied to its origin like I presume Terapagos, or if it has just adapted/stolen some of the terastal power.

I don't like what we have seen of Munkidori and Okidogi, but Fezandipiti looks quite nice. Hope they aren't all Dark type after we just got a legendary Dark quartet.

On the topic of the first DLC being more Japanese than Spanish, I have to say that I honestly like that. I've never been too fond of the idea of "Spain, but Pokémonified" and similar approaches to region design. I much prefer to see a mix of inspirations. Really interested in seeing how they will handle the school under the ocean in the second DLC. Atlantis-inspired perhaps?

Last edited:

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I like Terapagos' design quite a lot. The type pattern on its back is perhaps a bit too on the nose for me but otherwise it's excellent. Nice to finally have another minogame inspired pokémon besides Wartortle, who dropped the theme as soon as it got it.

I need to see more of Ogerpon. The mask theme is pretty cool, but how it works in action may make or break it for me. I wonder if tera-like parts of the mask are tied to the terastal phenomenon, and if so if it is tied to its origin like I presume Terapagos, or if it has just adapted/stolen some of the terastal power.

I don't like what we have seen of Monkidori and Okidogi, but Fezandipiti looks quite nice. Hope they aren't all Dark type after we just got a legendary Dark quartet.

On the topic of the first DLC being more Japanese but Spanish, I have to say that I honestly like that. I've never been too fond of the idea of "Spain, but Pokémonified" and similar approaches to region design. I much prefer to see a mix of inspirations. Really interested in seeing how they will handle the school under the ocean in the second DLC. Atlantis-inspired perhaps?
I think Ogrepon has taken tera shards to make masks that enable form changes.

But everything originates from Terapagos.

Red and Blue

I hope all of the beasts are weird dinosaur things if they do get paradox forms but it might just be Suicune who gets one
I could see Raikou's Paradox form having its sabertooth cat qualities exaggerated.

Sponge

I wonder if the new legendary trio will be part fighting type, considering they're seen as heroes in Kitakami.

In that case maybe Okidogi (Grass/Fighting), Munkidori (Psychic/Fighting) and Fezandipiti (Flying/Fighting)

I could see Munkidori being Dark/Fighting too but we did just get four dark type legendaries...

I could maybe see them all having the Psychic type instead of Fighting too...