• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero - DLC Speculation & Discussion Thread

Luthor

Well, it's official: I no longer trust Ms. Raifort and I think she's going to become a villain in the DLC. Here's why:

1. I couldn't help but notice, after showing her all for Ruin Legendaries, Ms. Raifort specified that while she would have rathered searched for the Treasures of Ruin herself, it was best if someone "pure of heart" obtained them, implying she herself is not.
2. She mentions prior to the quest that only someone pure of heart can quell the Pokémon long enough to keep them from going berserk, further implying she would've done the opposite.
3. Upon showing her all four Treasures of Ruin, Ms. Raifort exclaims how eager she is to know more about them, but "will allow you to have them for now," implying she will eventually [attempt to] take them from you.
4. Finally, her token of gratitude for you is the TM for Nasty Plot. I don't know about y'all, but this gives me mad Volo vibes (Back Strike, anyone?).

I'm sorry, but I just don't trust her anymore. I think we best keep an eye on her, like she said she will on us. I think a betrayal is coming soon.

I'd also note her academy ace team is interesting, they easily could have given her 6 Pokemon with obvious historical ties but instead she has a Pokemon that is known for luring prey close (Lumineon), a pokemon known for tricking people (Zoroark), A pokemon known for controling its foes minds (Grumpig), a pokemon that likes to ambush (Seviper), a pokemon that knows the move thief (Scizor) and her Tera Pokemon is Gengar a Pokemon known for hiding in the shadows and being cursed. I don't know if she will be a villain in the DLC but they certainly have laid the groundwork for it to be possible if they want to go in that direction.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
@PrinceOfFacade

I sure hope she is! Last ultra hot under-the-radar Pokémon villainess we got was Malva, and we’re long overdue for one.

I guess you can count Lusamine, Oleana, and Sada if you’re into that sort of thing, but if you couldn’t see those coming then wow.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Of all the teachers, Raifort is the one I dislike the most. I just don't vibe well with her character. If she turns out to have an ulterior motive (whatever that is), then okay.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Ms. Twitchy Hair has definitely been arrested at least twice, but she's so cartoonishly suspicious I can't believe it's meant to be taken seriously.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
@PrinceOfFacade

I sure hope she is! Last ultra hot under-the-radar Pokémon villainess we got was Malva, and we’re long overdue for one.

I guess you can count Lusamine, Oleana, and Sada if you’re into that sort of thing, but if you couldn’t see those coming then wow.

I mean, I saw Malva coming the moment I saw her, because she looked like Team Flare. lol

I was actually starting to like Ms. Raifort, but the more I dove into the Treasures of Ruin quest, the weirder she got. It's quite a bummer.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
It would be hilarious if the big bad (if there is one, could be a Rose situation again) was a teacher you don't even have to talk to and the sketchy stuff about Geeta was just to throw people off and she ends up being the biggest hero or something

Raifort is the leader of the pokemon equivalent of ETA, that'd be something alright

Acer11

Here is a question if the DLC introduced some more cross gen evolutions which Pokémon would you like to see get one?

Blakwidos (Evolves from Ariados): Bug/Dark (or Bug/Poison)

Hindenblim (Evolves from Drifblim): Ghost/Flying

Iridetra (Evolves from Lumineon): Water

Gnikarbok (Evolves from Arbok): Poison/Psychic

Volcargo (Evolves from Magcargo): Fire/Rock

Mightyena

Crawdaunt (Regional Variant)

Chimecho

Acer11

There may be a possibility of some older Pokemon getting regional variants (well, not technically Paldean forms) for the following Pokemon:

Oddish
Gloom
Vileplume
Bellossom
Doduo
Dodrio
Snorlax (Fairy/Ground)
Sentret
Furret
Spinarak
Ariados
Snubbull
Granbull
Crawdaunt (Water/Fire)
Excadrill (Ground/Dragon)
Scraggy (Dragon)
Scrafty (Dragon/Rock)
Minccino
Cinccino
Golett (Ground/Fighting)
Golurk (Ground/Fighting)
Meowstic

Pokemon Power

Here is a question if the DLC introduced some more cross gen evolutions which Pokémon would you like to see get one?
Well, some new Eeveelutions would be nice. Some new Hitmons for Special Attack and Defense would be fitting too.
There may be a possibility of some older Pokemon getting regional variants (well, not technically Paldean forms) for the following Pokemon:

Oddish
Gloom
Vileplume
Bellossom
Doduo
Dodrio
Snorlax (Fairy/Ground)
Sentret
Furret
Spinarak
Ariados
Snubbull
Granbull
Crawdaunt (Water/Fire)
Excadrill (Ground/Dragon)
Scraggy (Dragon)
Scrafty (Dragon/Rock)
Minccino
Cinccino
Golett (Ground/Fighting)
Golurk (Ground/Fighting)
Meowstic
I could see that happening for a Pokemon with a branched evolution, like Gloom or Poliwhirl, seeing as how we got Galarian Slowpoke in Sword and Shield's expansion pass.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Well, it's official: I no longer trust Ms. Raifort and I think she's going to become a villain in the DLC. Here's why:

1. I couldn't help but notice, after showing her all four Ruin Legendaries, Ms. Raifort specified that while she would have rathered searched for the Treasures of Ruin herself, it was best if someone "pure of heart" obtained them, implying she herself is not.
2. She mentions prior to the quest that only someone pure of heart can quell the Pokémon long enough to keep them from going berserk, further implying she would've done the opposite.
3. Upon showing her all four Treasures of Ruin, Ms. Raifort exclaims how eager she is to know more about them, but "will allow you to have them for now," implying she will eventually [attempt to] take them from you.
4. Finally, her token of gratitude for you is the TM for Nasty Plot. I don't know about y'all, but this gives me mad Volo vibes (Back Strike, anyone?).

I'm sorry, but I just don't trust her anymore. I think we best keep an eye on her, like she said she will on us. I think a betrayal is coming soon.
She's basically SV's most shadiest character alongside Geeta :v

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

1. I couldn't help but notice, after showing her all four Ruin Legendaries, Ms. Raifort specified that while she would have rathered searched for the Treasures of Ruin herself, it was best if someone "pure of heart" obtained them, implying she herself is not.

I don't entirely trust her either (Arceus help us if she ever discovered the time machine in Area Zero, she said during one of her lessons that she wishes she had one), but I don't think she'll turn out to be a villain. If she ends up being a villain in the DLC you won't be able to battle her in the Academy Ace Tournament or complete her lessons and the Treasures of Ruin sidequest because canonically she'll probably be arrested or at least fired from the Academy. Obviously they won't do that, so whatever they do with her won't affect the status quo.

Copley Hill Gym

I think we’ve personally read a lot into the characters within the game. It’s really rare in the Pokemon games for characters to become something more than their established NPC role. I can think of only a few, and none of the S/V characters strike me as being a part of the DLCs forthcoming in any meaningful way, given what we know of the DLCs thus far.

Raifort very much does have a sinister side bit I think that’s actually more about the adult/child perspective and teacher/student relationship.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
I can see Geeta having a bigger role (there's gotta be a reason for no E4 rematches unless they just didn't have time) but that's about it
I wish the DLC would haved focused on the main trio of the base game though, feels wrong to get people attached and then throw them away for new guys

Acer11

Well, some new Eeveelutions would be nice. Some new Hitmons for Special Attack and Defense would be fitting too.

I could see that happening for a Pokemon with a branched evolution, like Gloom or Poliwhirl, seeing as how we got Galarian Slowpoke in Sword and Shield's expansion pass.
I don't think there'll be new Hitmons for Special Attack/Defense, since their Sp. Attack is very low, and It doesn't matter in Sp. Attack/Defense Since Tyrogue always uses the physical Attack/Defense stats for evolution.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
I don't think there'll be new Hitmons for Special Attack/Defense, since their Sp. Attack is very low, and It doesn't matter in Sp. Attack/Defense Since Tyrogue always uses the physical Attack/Defense stats for evolution.
Regarding Hitmons, ones for HP and Speed would make sense but it will be hard to manage but maybe it's an idea.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
I would really want Raifort to be a villain, she is easily my favorite character in the game. But I don’t really trust these DLC to go beyond the end game instead of simply being sidesteps (Raifort being a villain would remove her entirely from the Academy, meaning it would force said DLC to only be playable after the game was finished).

Geeta getting more presence (and maybe a tweaked team) would also be great.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
If they can have BDSP Cyrus in the Battle Tower, I'm sure they could have Raifort stick around. There's also the fact that we don't know what her intentions are or what she could do. For all we know she's just like Colress in being borderline obsessed with a certain subject to the point of not caring how much it takes to get what they want.

Copley Hill Gym

I think, though I’d love to be proved wrong, that the to new DLCs are not going to add particularly to Paldea in a meaningful way. The Crown Tundra definitely did for Sword/Shield by way of being Scotland in all but name, but Isle of Armor, though ostensibly where the Isle of Wight or Ireland could be on Great Britain, was more Japanese lore.

The first of our two new DLCs is absolutely Japanese in origin and is likely going to be away from Paldea entirely, ala Isle of Armor. The second one is clearly “offshore” so will probably end up being connected by way of a boat.

I think it was maybe a bit daft on Game Freak’s part to include an unreachable landmass that is obviously not going to be used in a meaningful way in the game. It gave too much hope for those desperate enough for any sliver of Kalos lore and obviously produced something in game that is an artificial barrier of sorts.

The “hidden treasure” is very obviously going to be the world turtle and hidden in plain sight “third legendary” — Terapagos is likely the infant or potentially going to head off to form a new landmass of its own.

At which point perhaps we should admit this - the third legendary is officially dead by way of game development, really, a bit like the “legendary trio” sort of is (but we just had a new trio announce? Legendary, starter or what exactly?).

We had no new trio last gen (I am absolutely not counting the Galaraian legendary birds), we had a quadology the gen before and we’ve had a quadology again this generation. The “third legendary” in Galar was available straight away, in Paldea what we have are five new Pokemon forming the next set of catchable (or not?) Pokemon.

I don’t think we are going to get any more Paradox Pokemon either, outside of WW or IL but I would dearly love to be proved wrong on that point.

I also think everything points to our time in Paldea coming to an end with these two DLCs and quite a bit of the game’s lore not being tied up neatly with string as it was more in other regions.

My hunch is that S/V were brought forward as much as possible to fill the gap before Gen 10. The game feels unfinished and rushed in some obvious areas, GF are doing a lot of patching to keep it stable (which is okay - makes them human, not incompetent), and Paldea will form, in a similar way to Sword and Shield, a “way forward” without being the definitive Pokemon adventure in an open world.

And I’m okay with that. I’ve loved Paldea, warts and all. I am not going to get too hung up on the should have/could have/etc, but I will love it for what it is. The first genuine open world Pokemon game (Arceus was not open world, it was basically a fantastically developed sand pit for Paldea’s development) that gave us a lot of really memorable moments, mostly through the storyline and Pokemon designs.