• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero - DLC Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
i honestly don't see it. Paldea is a landmass that's roughly the shape of the real-world Portugal and Spain, which is...a distorted rounded shape. So is Atlantis on that map. A distorted rounded shape is pretty much the most common shape for a fictional landmass.

I also see no reason for a Pokémon region to be based on a fictional landmass when they've been basing every region on a real-world real place since the series began. Game Freak starts doing research on a region's basis almost as soon as the previous generation began (so research into the Iberian Peninsula would've begun shortly after the release of Pokémon Sword and Shield, and research is likely already underway into Generation 10's region's basis).

Copley Hill Gym

i honestly don't see it. Paldea is a landmass that's roughly the shape of the real-world Portugal and Spain, which is...a distorted rounded shape. So is Atlantis on that map. A distorted rounded shape is pretty much the most common shape for a fictional landmass.

I also see no reason for a Pokémon region to be based on a fictional landmass when they've been basing every region on a real-world real place since the series began. Game Freak starts doing research on a region's basis almost as soon as the previous generation began (so research into the Iberian Peninsula would've begun shortly after the release of Pokémon Sword and Shield, and research is likely already underway into Generation 10's region's basis).

For clarity, I am not saying that they had no intention of basing the new region on Spain and Iberia. It is however very clear that Area Zero specifically was named "Atlantis" in development and that was central to the storyline from early days of development. So may have had an influence on the Iberian/Spain inspired Paldea from the get go.

The similarities between Atlantis' map and Paldea are surprising, as is Paldea's own similarity to Terapagos (!) which has been noted before.

All I am trying to point out is that there seems to have been a lot of serious research gone into how Paldea and Area Zero would be designed. The development team seem to take inspirations from a variety of places.

The themes inherent in Paldea in terms of landscape, towns, feel, clothing, etc, are Spanish, but the use of the name Atlantis in the code is a smoking gun as to some deeper meaning I think.

All very intriguing stuff.

divinepokemonXZ

ALL HAIL THE GORILLA-FROG!
For clarity, I am not saying that they had no intention of basing the new region on Spain and Iberia. It is however very clear that Area Zero specifically was named "Atlantis" in development and that was central to the storyline from early days of development. So may have had an influence on the Iberian/Spain inspired Paldea from the get go.

The similarities between Atlantis' map and Paldea are surprising, as is Paldea's own similarity to Terapagos (!) which has been noted before.

All I am trying to point out is that there seems to have been a lot of serious research gone into how Paldea and Area Zero would be designed. The development team seem to take inspirations from a variety of places.

The themes inherent in Paldea in terms of landscape, towns, feel, clothing, etc, are Spanish, but the use of the name Atlantis in the code is a smoking gun as to some deeper meaning I think.

All very intriguing stuff.
Atlantis was just a code name. Code names aren't always symbolic lol, wasn't SwSh's code name Beluga or something like that?

Autobot N

I can't remember, was there any sort of news event between the reveal of the SWSH DLC and The Isle of Armor's release? Trying to figure out if we can expect more news on the SV at some point

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I can't remember, was there any sort of news event between the reveal of the SWSH DLC and The Isle of Armor's release? Trying to figure out if we can expect more news on the SV at some point
We got this trailer a couple of weeks before The IoA came out:

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
I think we'll get a trailer in June because it's coming out in fall and winter

MidnightHo-Oh

Basically proving the point that names are symbolic…!
But, not in the direct way you're thinking and dreaming of... There was absolutely nothing beluga whale related in LGPE (excluding Dewgong as being partially inspired by one), and there were no aspects of Kanto or the LGPE games or anything (aside from the aforementioned ORIGINAL Pokémon from Gen 1) inspired by beluga whales. Yes, the codename does have a meaning in reference to mobile games, but that is an out-of-universe connection/relation/inspiration. And even then, there are no in-game transactions in LGPE, and it's not even a mobile game itself despite being heavily inspired by Pokémon Go.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Basically proving the point that names are symbolic…!
Not necessarily. Sometimes production names or code names are placeholders to keep the general public from knowing what is actually happening. Star Wars Episode VI was filmed under the name “Blue Harvest” to prevent people from getting too hyped about the third Star Wars movie coming out.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Personally, I’m hoping that the DLC will feature a few more convergent forms since I loved the concept but I’m a little bummed since the only ones we gonna in the base game were Wiglett, Toedscool, & the paradox forms if you count them

I’m also hoping the rumors about the new Spidops from are true since I just started a new game and my first catch was literally a shiny Tarountula[ & I’d love to give it a possible glow up

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Now that Home's out let's hope for cool DLC leaks

Pokemon Power

Serious question guys. It's been a little over three months at this point. Do you think they'll show gameplay for The Teal Mask sometime this month?

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Yeah, this month seems likely for some news

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Normally I'd say it's a near slam dunk to get news in June, but considering it took until August before we learned much about base SV and the DLC is scheduled for Fall and Winter, I'm not so certain now. We could be waiting as late as September to hear something. This is about the beginning of the range when we can expect something, but I don't think we should be too shocked if June passes by and still nothing.

Copley Hill Gym

We’re not getting anything this month. Happy to be proved wrong but the lack of new raid events leads me to suspect their rollout schedule for scarlet and violet is running quite far behind.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
So it really does look like they've spruced up the graphics. I like that.

Hopefully they does in fact receive a graphics boost with the DLC, and we won't have nearly as many glitches.