• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero - DLC Speculation & Discussion Thread

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
For the first time ever in Pokemon, Pokemon Sword and Shield received DLC to add new content to the next gen game instead of a third version. Now the next generation has released and the potential for DLC has come around yet again. Will SV indeed follow in SwSh's footsteps and get DLC? What kind of DLC will we get?

Note that there are a couple of hints towards new content in the game already which gives us some hints as to what could be coming.

The Scarlet/Violet Book, a copy of which can be read on a bookshelf to the right of the front desk in Naranja/Uva Academy, hints towards several Pokemon that might be added in an upcoming expansion. In Scarlet, there appears to be a past Paradox Pokemon that's a fusion of the Beast Trio, while in Violet, there's a future Paradox Pokemon that's a fusion of the Muskedeers. There also appears to be a weird disc Pokemon made of hexagons. I suspect this might be this game's Eternatus and is the source of the Terastal phenomenon. So it definitely looks like we'll be seeing a continuation of the Area Zero plotline at the very least.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I doubt we will see southern Kalos... :(
But I do want to see new forms or evo for Kalos Pokemon....

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Well, the top-right part of the Paldea map does look a little peculiar to me. Maybe that's where the DLC area will be.

I doubt it. I think that's just to show that it's connected to Kalos just like its IRL counterpart is connected to France. I don't think we'll ever explore that section of the map in this game.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I think there will be DLC and Galarian Forms will be a part of it somehow. The move description for Chilly Reception seems to fit Galarian Mr Mime and Mr Rime perfectly as both are based on comedians.

Last edited:

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Honestly I would like a third version treatment for SV instead of only DLC content. Not like USUM but a mix between more content and refined content. I would pay the extra 60 bucks for that instead of the 30 bucks to have a a perfect version of Paldea. Better graphics, harder challenges, Battle facilities, additional story elements etc. and one or two extra provinces for post-game with all new stuff.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Don't forget the question of how people were able to record sightings of Paradox 'mons even though it was the time machine that brought them to the present in the first place. Arven himself brings this up in his post-game quest.

Noy

it's also mentioned that the effect of Terastallizing is that it "optimizes" the affected mon/device. So, it's probably not producing the expected result (working time machine, etc.) and instead, producing something with "better" results. This is probably why it's sending mons across time haphazardly instead of just to the present; and why the paradise protocol went rouge.
Given the story is clearly not complete, it's extremely likely that we will get DLC to expand on the Terastallizing phenomenon. With that in mind, I'm really curious about what will be added with the DLC, in terms of locations. Will it be a underground cavern below Area Zero? Some nearby islands (pirate DLC!?) or will they reuse the existing map, modified to create a false future/past region to explore?

Last edited:

MrJechgo

• 350 missing Pokémon for the first expansion
  • 350 missing Pokémon for the second expansion
  • Meowscarada, Skeledirge and Quaquaval getting a new move, exclusive to their respective Tera types
  • New island linked to Area Zero, with new Paragons
    • Desert Wings (Flygon, Dragon/Bug)
    • Leak Beak (Farfetch'd, Grass/Flying)
    • Snow Wave (Noctowl, Ice/Psychic)
    • Nimbus Flight (Altaria, Dragon/Fairy)
    • Iron Tongue (Heatmor, Fire/Steel)
    • Iron Fins (Barraskewda, Water/Steel)
    • Iron Lips (Jynx, Ice/Poison)
    • Iron Data (Porygon, Electric/Ghost)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokemon Power

• Meowscarada, Skeledirge and Quaquaval getting a new move, exclusive to their respective Tera types
I hate to burst your bubble, but the creators of the franchise have made it very clear that due to data constraints, Dexit is gonna remain for the foreseeable future.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Updating my original take here, along with them highly likely expanding on terastalization and likely clashing with the Third Legendary who is presumably the source of the gimmick and possibly the overarching antagonist of SV; I think they may also expand on Geeta in particular. Some people have pointed out and noticed (which I eventually did myself) that she gives off some weird vibes.

Sort of quoting from another comment I made in another thread:

Some examples of something strange with her is her ace mon Glimmora. In its pokedex entry, it says that its petals seems to be related to Tera crystals which are essentially what allows terastalization to happen. In addition, there was a moment in Area Zero where
Glimmora had a special scene for itself in which it was given more attention than it should've like getting its own cutscene and having it being mentioned by Nemona that Geeta owns one. Noticeably, Glimmora seems to be native to Area Zero where there's a massive abundance of them. Now it can be argued that it doesn't mean much since its pre-evo Glimmet can be found outside of AZ but it's still really strange that this detail of Glimmora being native to AZ was given extended attention. Such a small detail can give heavy implications that there's something more to this which hasn't been revealed yet.

Adding on, which some others in the fandom seemed to have noticed, the gym leaders or at least some of them, don't seem to have much of a positive reception of Geeta to begin with, as if they felt something off about her. Like with Tulip and Larry.

And lastly, which I'll be putting out as my own personal theory which is related to the E4 and why they aren't rematchable as of now; I'm thinking the reason the E4 isn't rematchable at this time is because it was intentionally designed that way due to Geeta being a potential antagonist. Overarching or not. In order for the E4 to be fully rematchable, she would need to be fully out of the picture first which would hypothetically be done in the inevitable DLC.

It's a weird tinfoil hat theory and honestly doesnt exactly have much credence but giving how Geeta does give off some shady and weird vibes throughout the game, even if subtle, it seems fair to think that could be the case.
Nice theory:)
What if Glimmora is a Carbink to the 3rd Legendary? Or maybe it's a Nihilego kindof Pokemon (types match) which is controlling Geeta to wake up the 3rd Legend? Also Geeta's Team get's a small lifting, Glimmora goes first, Kingambit last with some of the weaker links switches for some better Pokemon and maybe Paradox Suicune/Virizion there? or the 3rd Legendary with the Chimera Beasts as your partner?
Regarding E4 rematches, it would be nice if we get a new member instead of double Larry (maybe Ryme or Dendra?) and if they also get some new Pokemon or maybe Hisuain forms.
It makes me mad that Katy still has Ursaring and not Ursaluna and that Salvatore does not use Alolan/Galarian forms as well as Kantonian Tauros while Raifort does not use Hisuian forms.

Nemona as new Top Champion with her original Team (Combat Breed Tauros included) would be neat.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Paradox Pokémon I think should also be on the list are Rock Armor (Durant, Bug/Rock) as the counterpart to Iron Tongue, Iron Tentacles (Octillery, Water/Steel), Toxic Tentacles (Octillery, Water/Poison) based on the blue ringed octopus, Phantom Stone (Golurk, Ghost/Rock), and Iron Doll (Banette, Ghost/Dark).

Last edited by a moderator:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

They're probably not going to add that many Pokemon as an expansion when they only had 400 in the main game. Probably more like 100-150 per expansion, or 200-300 total (are they even going to do two expansions like they did with SwSh?).

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
depends on how much they’re gonna add and expand. It can at the very least presumably be expected that Area Zero is going to be extended and have more loose ends tied up like the third legendary (the disk mon), which is supposed to be the source of Terastalization and should answer some questions.

No, they spent 3 years working on the models for the 475ish Pokemon (Paldea Dex Pokemon + transfer Pokemon) we got in the main game. They probably have not been working on the DLC Pokemon models for that long, probably more like 1, maybe 2 if we're lucky. There's just not enough time to double the number of Pokemon in the game so it's probably more along the lines of one and a half times the number of Pokemon, as was the case in SwSh.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I do like the idea of new Paradox Pokemon set forth by some of the users and it does seem like more are coming based on the hints, but I'm not sure there's going to be much more. Maybe 1 or 2 additional version exclusives at most. Here's some ideas I have for new ones:

Past Paradox Pokemon (Scarlet only):
Beast trio fusion (hinted at in Scarlet Book)
Toxic Lung (Whiscash Paradox)- Water/Poison
Fluffy Frost (Altaria Paradox)- Ice/Flying

Future Paradox Pokemon (Violet only):
Muskedeer fusion (hinted at in Violet Book)
Iron Torpedo (Sharpedo Paradox)- Water/Steel
Iron Bat (Noivern Paradox)- Dragon/Psychic

This would probably be closer to the amount we might get.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I think we are getting Past Paradox Kommo-o and Future Paradox Metagross. They being the only pseudos out of the base game is suspicious.

I'm feeling we might get two big DLCs for this game, specially since it looks like they don't technically have much else for the two years until gen 10.

I mean, BDSP is quite recent so no need to release one and with DLC replacing third versions, they can improve on the game already out before the next big one.

Of course, baring the chance of a different kind of game like a new Legends, Let's Go or something else.

Still think it benefits them more just releasing two big DLC expansions. I could see 200-ish mons returning on each. But that's mostly wishful thinking of my part.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
I doubt it. I think that's just to show that it's connected to Kalos just like its IRL counterpart is connected to France. I don't think we'll ever explore that section of the map in this game.
It's supposed to be Andorra

Flame Haze SnS

Yin-Yang
Rest of Eevee's Evolutions. Would be nice if that DLC could focus solely on Eevee's Journey, along with 'legendary Eevee'.

MrJechgo

I hate to burst your bubble, but the creators of the franchise have made it very clear that due to data constraints, Dexit is gonna remain for the foreseeable future.
They take competitive battles seriously, yet don't fix the problem of "not bringing back your entire team for those battles"?

What is it going to be next Gen? Only 25% of the total Pokémon being available? In Gen 11, is it going to be 15% only?

Nobody here ever said "I hate that every Pokémon is available in a single game", and I don't think people have sympathy for GameFreak for not "taking the extra steps" to make it possible.

Last edited:

Gargoss

Hotshot
Regarding the Disk Pokémon:
I believe I've found out what the creature sketched by Professor Heath as being its true form is...

Turns out it's a Tarrasque - no, not the D&D Monster, but what the D&D Monster is inspired by. The Real-World portrayal of the creature stems from Folklore in the areas of Southern France - that's Kalos in the Pokémon World, just North of Paldea!

It's one of those Christian Indoctrination tales, so its not the best story, but it leads to DLC Speculation...

"The Tarrasque, awaking from its slumber, was terrorizing the villages of Southern France - the only known ways of stopping it were either to have it battle another giant beast, or for a Goddess to Charm the creature. As if to answer their plea, a Woman of the Catholic Faith - introducing herself as Saint Martha - offered to aid them. The villagers were unsure if she would be capable of the feat, but thanked her for her assistance and directed her to the Tarrasque's last known location..."

Far as I know, the Folktale intentionally glosses over the actual method used, but Saint Martha somehow manages to tame the creature and leads it back to the Village.
"Upon seeing the beast approaching the village, the townspeople let their fear overwhelm them, and used the opportunity to quickly assault and kill the docile Tarrasque. Saint Martha was appalled at the murderous act, and reprimanded them heavily. The villagers, now ridden with guilt, confessed their shame and devoted themselves to following the Christian faith, in appreciation for the Saint saving them from the Tarrasque..."

Once again, the story is heavily weighted towards making the Christian Priest an ineffable being of good, and the French peasants as inconsiderate savages. That's why I've put it in the Spoiler Tag, to keep from offending people with my narration of the Story.

I do have my own ideas of how this creature plays into the Storyline of Scarlet and Violet, but I'll see what ideas you come up with first - as I've posted a big enough wall of text already. Please reply with your theories, and thanks to anyone who managed to read this far!