• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero - DLC Speculation & Discussion Thread

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Do you think we'll get more Paldean Forms as well as convergent species? Because I just thought of names and types for potential convergent Species of Sandygast and Palossand:

Snowygast:
Ghost/Ice

Palossnow:
Ghost/Ice

Sorry, I couldn't think of a different type to replace Ghost.
Its not the best defensively, but since convergent Pokemon have super effective typings then I would go with Ice/Dark.

Its ability would probably be like Water Compaction tied with Snowscape to boost its defenses.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Do you think we'll get more Paldean Forms as well as convergent species?
Considering the main game only had two paldean forms (counting all the Tauros as just 1), it seems they will prioritize convergent over regional forms for now, so I can see convergent species but not regional forms on the DLC.

“Convergent evolution” and “regional forms” are conceptually very different things (even opposite things), but in practical terms they are exactly the same: a way to play around with a classic design and giving it new types/abilities/stat distribution.
Convergent evolution, however, has two clear advantages from GF’s POV:
- they can be counted as entirely new Pokémon,
- they don’t need to be dragged along the original (so while Alolan Diglett needs to be coded in any game regular Diglett is, Wiglett can be left out).
So I can see GF slowly abandoning regional forms if the convergent evolution ones are well received.

Acer11

You can send out something with Drought or Electric Surge (or your box legend) at the start of the battle to ensure the Booster Energy is not consumed before you can catch the Pokémon. The appropriate weather or field effect takes priority over the item.
[/
Its not the best defensively, but since convergent Pokemon have super effective typings then I would go with Ice/Dark.

Its ability would probably be like Water Compaction tied with Snowscape to boost its defenses.

So far, convergent Species have the exact same stats as the Pokemon they were based off of.

vondecayle

Would love if the DLC is related to Kalos, maybe adding Kalos mons such as Aurorus, Tyrantrum, Furfrou (who has been absent since gen 7) etc.

The Kalos region on the big screen must look beautiful.

If not, then I hope it is at least as good as the Crown Tundra.

Ryker101

I’d be keen for more paradox mons, particularly of fossil mons. Area zero could also use some expansion. Otherwise I don’t mind what they add, a superboss would be nice. Or be able to rematch most of e4

Copley Hill Gym

What are the mental gymnastics required to think Kalos is going to be part of the DLC? Asking for a friend?

Like I get it, people love Kalos, but that was a decade ago and it's not even up for its turn in the remake queue yet.

The only gen where we've ever been able to go back to an old region in a game introducing a new region was Johto in gen 2, and then the remakes in gen 4. The latter came out 14 years ago.

When GF/TPC has a new region to explore, they don't add older regions into the game for players: they focus on the new region. It's been like this for over twenty years at this point.

There's "hoping for Kalos" and then there's the - seriously - big leap of faith that just because real world France and Spain are linked by landmass, that Paldea automatically will.

By that logic we should have been able to hop on one of Galar's many trains and turn up in Lumiose City...but we didn't.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
What are the mental gymnastics required to think Kalos is going to be part of the DLC? Asking for a friend?
Main ones seem to be geographically the shaded area on the Paldea map corresponding to Kalos' real-life counterpart and Roaring Moon's Dex entry referencing Mega Evolution (Salamence does not have a G-Max form and Z-Moves do not change the user's appearance). Appearance wise Roaring Moon is quite close to M-Salamence minus being able to tuck its legs close to its body.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
If there is an Area Zero DLC, then this is what I imagine would happen. The time machine is damaged but still mostly intact. It’s just deactivated. An Electric Pokémon somehow gets inside the Lab and is wandering about when it finds the machine. Curious, it touches it and somehow the electricity in its body reactivates the machine and things get out of hand from there. A portal opens and Hisuian and Fossil Pokémon emerge from there. The Paradox Legendary will also step out depending on which version you are playing. From there you must go back into the depths of Area Zero and stop the time machine once for all and make sure it can never be reactivated again. Penny comes along with you in order to hack into the system and try to close the portal while you take care of the invasive Pokémon situation.

Acer11

Main ones seem to be geographically the shaded area on the Paldea map corresponding to Kalos' real-life counterpart and Roaring Moon's Dex entry referencing Mega Evolution (Salamence does not have a G-Max form and Z-Moves do not change the user's appearance). Appearance wise Roaring Moon is quite close to M-Salamence minus being able to tuck its legs close to its body.
Iron Valiant is also based on Mega Gardevoir and Mega Gallade (except for the dual-blade).

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
I would love more Paldean forms. As it stands, there’s only four families that are associated with them, and two of them are just “convergent evolutions”. Paradox Pokémon are also other forms, but they’re straying further and further away from the originals. Iron Valiant, Iron Treads, and the two concept sketches of the Muskideers and Gerbels being prime examples.

What I’d REALLY like to see is Pokémon specific items making a return. Tinkaton being my goto candidate. Why no 5% hold item that relates to her family’s hammers? It could boost those physical attacks a little bit, or maybe give her a Magic Hammer that doubles the strength of special moves, she’s got Marowak’s issues as it stands. Why not both? Chansey has 4 items associated with her family. Or Hypno; how after all these years does Hypno not get a Pendulum item? It could raise the accuracy of status moves by 50%, or maybe give it an Unaware-like ability to aid its wickedness. It gets Swagger AND Psych Up, and has access to Foul Play. Should be a no brainer, especially since they cut so much of its move pool between VIII and IX. In fact, bring back more of the wild held items. Not sure GF cut so much stuff in these games…

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I think the "added functionality" for the update slated for late February will coincide with a DLC update akin to the Galarian Slowpoke at the train station for Sword/Shield. If I were to guess, the big announcement will be reserved for that time on or around Pokemon Day, but I suppose it's possible to here about some of it prior (though I wouldn't hold out hopes for it).

Pokemon Power

I think the "added functionality" for the update slated for late February will coincide with a DLC update akin to the Galarian Slowpoke at the train station for Sword/Shield. If I were to guess, the big announcement will be reserved for that time on or around Pokemon Day, but I suppose it's possible to here about some of it prior (though I wouldn't hold out hopes for it).
Maybe just like Galarian Slowpoke, they'll throw in a new Paldean form with a branched evolution as a sneak peak.

Mobilisq

The events in area zero to me feel like the perfect way to explain the wormholes in us/um and the space time distortions in legends arceus. That's what I'm most looking forward to, it feels near inevitable they'll roll some of that in

Didn't play sw/sh, so I don't know if there's elements there that'll fit as well

divinepokemonXZ

ALL HAIL THE GORILLA-FROG!
...Explain what? The wormholes and time distortions were already explained in their respective games. They have nothing to do with this game.
Godlike aliens from another dimension created the wormholes and an undead dragon-centipede hybrid who could be the resident Satan analogue was the cause of the Spacetime distortions... dang, Pokemon is really creative sometimes.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
According to Khu the DLC is "very cool"
I doubt we're getting Kalos but seeing as how there's more to Area Zero it will definitely be cool
We're most likely going to get more outfits, and since the Star bosses don't wear the basic uniforms even after going back to school what if they managed to get the dress code to be less strict for an in universe explanation?