• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero - DLC Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
The two DLC take place in different places. Indigo Disk takes place in Blueberry Academy.
While Kitakami could be a village that borders with Paldea, , we don't know yet where the new Academy is located. As far we know, it could still be in Paldea (out in the ocean).

I saw this image early where someone pointed out the striking resemblance between Paldea's map and Terapagos, so I doubt it would be anywhere but in Paldea:
zaeGNvS.jpg

What if Paldea is actually a living pokémon, a gigantic Terapagos that is alive for million years and in the DLC you get to catch its still tiny offspring (that maybe was being kept at Blueberry Academy by the new villains so they could replicate the Tera phenomenon outside Paldea)?

Btw, I just saw on the official website that you can start the DLC as soon as you have unlocked the Treasure Hunt in the main game, which I take as meaning it won't give any late game explanation (since technically someone could do the DLC portion long before finishing the game).
For those who played the SwSh DLC, did it cover any late game event?
The Isle of Armor is mostly open but there's a part of the story where you need to return after getting the water bike and becoming Champion/beating the post game as Hop's change in career is a somewhat pivotal role in the final story. As for the Crown Tundra, it's clearly meant to be played as post game because the first battle you have against Peony when you first walk in has him at level 70. His frustration with Rose, Oleana mistaking him for Rose, and Leon making the Galarian Star Tournament (with the twins from the postgame being involved) after he replaces Rose all reference late game events but those are towards the end of the storyline. There's also Sonia researching there as a full fleged Professor.

Pokemon Power

Looking at the list, if this is accurate the only Pokemon that will be missing from the Switch games will be the other two Unova Starters, Elemental Monkeys, Watchog, and Furfrou. The Starters are weird as going off of the list we'll have the Kanto, Johto, and Alola Starters present so having them still omitted is pretty odd.

Also, happy to see Mightyena, Chandelure, and Kommo-o will be back, along with Zebstrika.
I've done some counting and found something interesting. If this leaked list is true, then by the time The Indigo Disk is released, there will be exactly 1,000 species of Pokemon available across all the mainline Switch titles, including all Pokemon from generations 1-4 and 7-9.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Just count the number of grass monkies we have, you’ll get your answer.
We have too many grass monkeys.

But there is one monkey we still need. A steel-type brass monkey.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I only recently saw the rumored list. Sad that these Pokemon lines didn't make it: Nidoking, Machamp, Crobat, Scolipede, Tyrantrum (most fossils really), and Golisopod. I was planning on finally using old Pokemon for the DLC. Oh well.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Weird how the Crobat line isn't in the game it's pretty much a series staple

aerial_ace

Some of my thoughts on the newly announced DLC.

The reveal was very obvious and expected so there wasn't a lot of surprise going into this presentation. The dlc for galar games was so hype with the initial trailer so i felt slightly underwhelmed with this one. However, going through the website and reading more about it i think it has a really good potential to be a great extension to base games.

Part one Teal Mask
This one seems to be focused more on lore and tales which i love the legendary ogre looks amazing but I swear if any of these new pokemon end up being grass dark I will refuse to use them. I like the more Japanese setting to this part of DLC. The other 3 mons obviously share a theme because all of them have this weird chain looking thing. The pheasant one is absolutely amazing and instantly is one of my favourite designs this gen.
And then you have the other two.... The dog with the design of clouds on his body honestly gives me dynamax vibes i would love if this mechanic was to come back or even being refered to. Not a huge fan of the design myself but i can see why some people might like it.
The Monkey is easily the worst pokemon design this gen and instantly my top 3 least favourite mons of all time joining Clafable and Emboar. I really hope it's typing stats and ability will be bad so I will never see it on battle stadium but knowing my luck it will be amazing and i will see it everywhere. I just hate this thing

Part Two Indigo Disk
I just have one word to say about this one TERRAPAGOS. This is just such a majestic design, i absolutely love this mon. When i read the description of it in violet book i was expecting some monstrosity ugly design but this is just ....:chefskiss:
It says on the website that the blueberry academy is submerged in the ocean. This could have some amazing map design possibilities. Very excited for this part

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
I'm surprised they didn't reveal a new event only mon, will they not have one this gen? SwSh only had one, are they just phasing out of event mons or something, not that I really care since most of the time in newer games they were just handed to you (RIP Power Plant in Kalos) but I think with Paldea's vastness it would be a perfect time to bring the "you're given this item now do something with it to unlock a new area" format of event mons

Ryker101

Walking wake looks fun, prefer that one to iron leaves. I’m keen for dlc and fine with the direction they’re taking so far. Not sure if it’ll be worth the price tho

Baggie_Saiyan

Interesting the website says the DLC will release by end of April 2024, so I guess that means they aren't under any time crunch if they can't make the tentative fall/winter 2023 release dates. Which is good.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Interesting the website says the DLC will release by end of April 2024, so I guess that means they aren't under any time crunch if they can't make the tentative fall/winter 2023 release dates. Which is good.
Or there's another DLC that we don't know about yet that will come in early 2024.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’m thinking that the Indigo Disk will have most of the Fossils being available in the wild in Area Zero with only the Galar Fossils being absent since it is heavily implied that they aren’t actually natural and were mistakes when they were first revived. Also roaming around are the Hisuian Pokémon and this is where you get them aside from transferring them from Home. Basically a portal in time has opened up which is why the Fossils are walking around perfectly fine and alive and this portal gives off some sort of energy that causes the Pokémon without a Hisuian form to evolve into their evolved Hisuian forms. So basically Quilava, Dewott, Dartrix, Rufflet, Petilil, Bergmite, and Goomy. The items needed to get Kleavor and Ursaluna can also be found near the portal. To get Ursaluna, the method has changed to you needing to use the Peat Block at night in a swampy section deep inside Area Zero.

Totodi1e

The silent boy of mystery!
On a different note, I was kinda expecting Avocado Academy for some reason, not Blueberry.
Or at least call it Mora, Mirtillo or Arandano Academy...

But that could imply that Blueberry Academy isn't located in Paldea.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Okay, is it just me or does Walking Wake retcon the origin of the Legendary Beasts?

They were originally the reincarnations of Pokémon who died in Burned Tower. Now, the existence of Walking Wake suggests they've been around for millions of years. I am hella confused. lol

Red and Blue

Okay, is it just me or does Walking Wake retcon the origin of the Legendary Beasts?

They were originally the reincarnations of Pokémon who died in Burned Tower. Now, the existence of Walking Wake suggests they've been around for millions of years. I am hella confused. lol
Might have something to do with the theory that the paradox Pokemon were never really from the ancient past/distant future. Instead there were created artificially through some means.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
The main thing I'm interested in knowing with the DLC is what the level scaling, if any, will be like. I've heard it said that you can go to the DLC zones as early as the beginning of your treasure hunt, and I'm keen to know what levels the Pokemon in Kitakami will be, because I wouldn't mind having Fezandipiti on a playthrough team if you can get it early.
I'm guessing the Indigo Disk will be similar to the Crown Tundra where you technically can go there early but everything will be high level so there's no point until post game, and I'm hoping the Teal Mask will be fairly low levelled to start with like the Isle of Armour.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles

Might have something to do with the theory that the paradox Pokemon were never really from the ancient past/distant future. Instead there were created artificially through some means.
First of, not making sense is the literal definition of a paradox.

Pretty much what Red and Blue says. These Pokemon seem to not actually be from THE past and future but more or less A past or future different to the timeline/universe the games take place in. They are most likely time displaced anomalies due to the time machine.

Slither Wing is stated that although from being x amount of years into the past, there are no fossil records of it, at all.

There's also the thing how everyone questions if they even ARE Pokemon to begin with, as they seem to be biologically different, hence the unique naming conventions as well.

It's a bit of a mess regardless of if you take its ancient origin at face value or if you believe that it was made up from Heath's imagination, since the Scarlet book is 200 years old and the Brass Tower only burned down 150 years ago. So Heath and his team shouldn't really have been familiar with Suicune(or any of the other legendary beasts that inspired the sketch) in the first place. Unless there's 50+ years between the time GS and SV take place which I find pretty unlikely.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I hope the rumor of the Paradox Pokemon being imagined instead of really from the past/future is untrue, it really kind of cheapens the concept because it makes them feel somewhat arbitrary. I mean you could've imagined them to be anything.

This is especially true for the future Paradoxes because the future usually turns out different from what you imagine and the idea of what's "futuristic" changes with time and technology. I mean think about 100-200 years ago, would they have imagined futuristic Pokemon looking like this? Of course not, steel technology wasn't this advanced then, they'd probably imagine something more steampunk. Likewise, the concept of the future 100-200 years from now might look totally different if new technologies we can't even imagine are introduced.

I hope the rumor of the Paradox Pokemon being imagined instead of really from the past/future is untrue, it really kind of cheapens the concept because it makes them feel somewhat arbitrary. I mean you could've imagined them to be anything.

This is especially true for the future Paradoxes because the future usually turns out different from what you imagine and the idea of what's "futuristic" changes with time and technology. I mean think about 100-200 years ago, would they have imagined futuristic Pokemon looking like this? Of course not, steel technology wasn't this advanced then, they'd probably imagine something more steampunk. Likewise, the concept of the future 100-200 years from now might look totally different if new technologies we can't even imagine are introduced.
Interesting take, because I kind of have the same mindset, and that's why I hope(and think) they will be imaginary.
The past paradoxes all follow a theme of "ferocious dinosaurs" while the future ones are all robots, which feel very much in line with how some could view the past and future today, hence the paranormal magazines that line up with their descriptions. The past paradoxes for example look much "safer" than some of the actual fossil Pokémon we have that resemble current day Pokémon significantly less.