• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero - DLC Speculation & Discussion Thread

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Has anyone noticed that the English names of the 3 legendary Pokemon sound like:

Okidogi = Okey-Dokey
Munkidori = Hunky-Dorey
Fezandipiti = Serendipity
Yes

They are just here for a good time at the Kitakami Festival.

Pokemon Power

This is sort of nebulous. Truth is, we don't know the cause of this problem. Some people experienced this without DLC or Go.
At any rate, it seems to be very rare (could also be a hardware issue like SD cards).
It seems that this problem is becoming harder to fix for the people involved with the production.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
So the only real safe option is to not play the game at all until Game Freak fixes this?
No. The safe option would be to periodically back up the SD card on your system.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Has anyone noticed that the English names of the 3 legendary Pokemon sound like:

Okidogi = Okey-Dokey
Munkidori = Hunky-Dorey
Fezandipiti = Serendipity

Yes

They are just here for a good time at the Kitakami Festival.
Also, between the starters’ performer theme, Gholdengo being the 1000th pokémon, & the postgame involving a big battle tournament event, it feels like a secondary theme to Gen 9 is celebrating how far the series has come.

It’s like Pokémon’s celebrating in the present for their progress in the past as they head towards the future

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Also, between the starters’ performer theme, Gholdengo being the 1000th pokémon, & the postgame involving a big battle tournament event, it feels like a secondary theme to Gen 9 is celebrating how far the series has come.

It’s like Pokémon’s celebrating in the present for their progress in the last as they head towards the future
Well Pokémon has done what very few video game series has been able to do in only 26 years. It has become a dominant force in the gaming industry with two different types of games, had more movies than the Harry Potter series, keep coming out with new releases almost every single year since the beginning, have a successful anime with the same main character for an extremely long time, and became a huge global phenomenon which never fully died down and has characters so iconic that even those unfamiliar with Pokémon know exactly who they are. And a lot of this happened only in the first ten years!

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
Think this symbol from the "Secret Cave" in Area Zero will be explored in the DLC? It seems to also be on the plates around the crater, which if I'm not mistaken was noted to be before Prof. Sada/Turo's time.

1lz1R7f.jpg

epithumia

Poison-type enthusiast
Think this symbol from the "Secret Cave" in Area Zero will be explored in the DLC? It seems to also be on the plates around the crater, which if I'm not mistaken was noted to be before Prof. Sada/Turo's time.

1lz1R7f.jpg
I hope so, these symbols have been bugging me ever since they revealed the game covers... I got a bit disappointed that they haven't given us any explanation yet

Luthor

It’s like Pokémon’s celebrating in the present for their progress in the last as they head towards the future

You could even argue that the past and future Pokemon being explored in this game specifically could be a bit of a part of the celebration. Given that in a sense the the Paradox Pokemon are at least implied to be from the past and future in a way its kind of looking back to the history of Pokemon and forward toward the future of Pokemon (even if the paradox Pokemon end up not literally being from the past and the future its more a thematic link)

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
You could even argue that the past and future Pokemon being explored in this game specifically could be a bit of a part of the celebration. Given that in a sense the the Paradox Pokemon are at least implied to be from the past and future in a way its kind of looking back to the history of Pokemon and forward toward the future of Pokemon (even if the paradox Pokemon end up not literally being from the past and the future its more a thematic link)
Although I believe that the Paradoxes and the Convergent Pokémon were only created so that they would hit 1000 unique species of Pokémon, which I believe was one of their goals for this game. So they just modified existing Pokémon and called them new Pokémon. Although the Convergent Pokémon term is not an officially used designator.

Luthor

I hope so, these symbols have been bugging me ever since they revealed the game covers... I got a bit disappointed that they haven't given us any explanation yet

I suspect they will get some hints in the first DLC part and fully confirmed in the second part. Its an easy way to hold interest

Although I believe that the Paradoxes and the Convergent Pokémon were only created so that they would hit 1000 unique species of Pokémon, which I believe was one of their goals for this game. So they just modified existing Pokémon and called them new Pokémon. Although the Convergent Pokémon term is not an officially used designator.

I'm less convinced on that given how these games heavily feature a Miraidon/Koraidon. At the very least I think those two were an idea early in development. The box legends feature heavily in the games and would thus be hard to just add them in purely for the purpose of getting to 1000 (though it may have been part of consideration I don't think its the only one). My guess is it was more something they had an initial concept of a Future and Past legends and then the story expanded and it made sense to add other past/future Pokemon potentially initially as forms but they functioned better as new pokemon (given so far they've kept regional forms having the same base stat total as the original).

Last edited:
Guys quick question: Will the DLCs include Iron Leaves and Walking Wake without expiration date to catch them? I missed the event to catch them last month. Thanks!

BCVM22

We don’t know. We know what you know about the DLC.

However, they are confirmed to be rerunning the event down the line once they patch this bad egg issue that people somehow stumbled upon. Still unclear as to how or why you’d go online and do the event without updating the software, but I suppose I’m not meant to get it.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
You could remove all four convergents and we'd still be several numbers above 1000, so that's highly unlikely. Doubly so thanks to the DLC 'mons.
I was talking about removing the convergents and the Paradoxes as well, minus Koraidon and Miraidon. With them gone we'll be down to just 85 new Pokemon. At that point the Pokedex will be only at 990, just ten Pokemon short of 1000.

Pokemon Power

Except the Paradoxes are integral to the game's story. You could argue convergents are Dex filler, but it makes no sense for Pokemon that the game revolves around.
Well, convergent Pokemon kinda mirror some real life animals that look alike, like alligators and crocodiles, and sharks and dolphins.

Copley Hill Gym

The idea of “dex filler” Pokemon ignores fundamentals of video game design tbh.

We’re talking about a game that’s been at least three years in the making. Like every Pokemon game before it it’s been developed in a structured manner to build:
  1. Code for game engine
  2. storyline
  3. pokemon
  4. npcs
  5. additional gameplay modes
  6. online access
  7. music
  8. box art / advertising / merchandisiNo
  9. etc etc
All of those things above require supreme coordination and work/time.

There will be lots of ideas thrown around, loads of things which don’t make the cut and ultimately we find out about through leaks much later on.

It may well be that some ideas were cut early on - we know about magikarp/gyrados convergent forms removed from the game’s code due to data mining - likely theres a few more like that.

Game Freak’s devs did not wake up one day and go “how can we pad out this game‘s Pokedex” - if anything, the opposite likely happened. How can we pare down the ideas we have? What paradox Pokemon are going to help sell this game? (I.e. most popular Pokemon to reimagine as paradox Pokemon).

The one surprising thing for me was there being no paradox Raichu or Pikachu. That would have been a hell of a call back to the first gen and would have pushed the pikachu mascot placement firmly. There again some commentators reckon GF are moving away from pikachu as a mascot (dream on I say, given recent news).

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
The only actual filler mon is basculin because gen V didn't have a lot of water types (actually said in an interview) but they were eventually given purpose

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Well, it's official: I no longer trust Ms. Raifort and I think she's going to become a villain in the DLC. Here's why:

1. I couldn't help but notice, after showing her all four Ruin Legendaries, Ms. Raifort specified that while she would have rathered searched for the Treasures of Ruin herself, it was best if someone "pure of heart" obtained them, implying she herself is not.
2. She mentions prior to the quest that only someone pure of heart can quell the Pokémon long enough to keep them from going berserk, further implying she would've done the opposite.
3. Upon showing her all four Treasures of Ruin, Ms. Raifort exclaims how eager she is to know more about them, but "will allow you to have them for now," implying she will eventually [attempt to] take them from you.
4. Finally, her token of gratitude for you is the TM for Nasty Plot. I don't know about y'all, but this gives me mad Volo vibes (Back Strike, anyone?).

I'm sorry, but I just don't trust her anymore. I think we best keep an eye on her, like she said she will on us. I think a betrayal is coming soon.

Last edited: