• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hip Hop Thread - for the nerds that think they're black

Laser Shuckle

Ironically the subsequent replies back and forth probably do more to keep new visitors away then any mention of guys like Jay-Z (It's a hip hop thread on a pokemon forum, what do you expect?)

I just got Rip The Jacker if anyone here has ever heard of Canibus. Honestly I think he's pretty overrated.

poix_the_yak

I stay noided
Oh my god

The new Earl Sweatshirt track

[video=youtube;0FcDXL5Aw0o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FcDXL5Aw0o[/video]

DjangoCribbs

Ironically the subsequent replies back and forth probably do more to keep new visitors away then any mention of guys like Jay-Z (It's a hip hop thread on a pokemon forum, what do you expect?)

I just got Rip The Jacker if anyone here has ever heard of Canibus. Honestly I think he's pretty overrated.

Ironically, when I actually stated my interest in a couple of hip-hop artists no-one actually responded.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I didn't reply because they aren't artists I have much experience with. A friend stuck In The Ghetto from one of the Eric B & Rakim albums on a mix tape he made me, but beside that I've not much experience with either.

DjangoCribbs

I didn't reply because they aren't artists I have much experience with. A friend stuck In The Ghetto from one of the Eric B & Rakim albums on a mix tape he made me, but beside that I've not much experience with either.

Which is fine. Sorry, didn't mean to seem like I was having a go at you.
I simply felt Rezzo and Laser Shuckle's comments, at this point, were kinda irrelevant.

Can I suggest changing the name of the thread? Is that within anyone's power? All of the stuff after the hyphen is kinda... well, it's unnecessary and borders uncomfortably on racism in my eyes. Might be off-putting for some.

PokemonXY

#PokemonXY
Nicki Minaj and Azealia Banks. I'm still waiting for both of their albums. lol

AJ2000

I think it would be a good time to ask if anyone has heard Kendrick Lamar's verse on 'Control'.

I don't know, it doesn't seem like he's dissing any of the rappers, but more like just 'calling them out'. Personally, I loved his verse though. What do you guys think?

Latch

Funky Fresh
I think it would be a good time to ask if anyone has heard Kendrick Lamar's verse on 'Control'.

I don't know, it doesn't seem like he's dissing any of the rappers, but more like just 'calling them out'. Personally, I loved his verse though. What do you guys think?

I think people are slightly overreacting. Yes, he did basically call out every big name in rap in a single verse. But, I think he is really trying to say: "Step up your game, or bow to the new king."

this is the whitest thing i have ever read in this thread. it sounds like my high school counselor trying to defend rap music omg. i love it.

i really did enjoy it tho ia! honestly, i think rap isn't a genre that should be about sales because sales have never affected quality. very often rappers hit it big and then just can't produce high quality real stuff unless they move to flossing what they got and nothing else even though plenty of these people were well off before hand. i mean, jay-z and eminem might be shipping hella copies, but they're shells of their former selves. Ice-T. Nicki Minaj (lol), Lil, Wayne etc. people get way too protective over their kings but this isn't effing pop music. rap is a form of poetry more so than other music. it relies on a beat (something that is common in poetry) and spoken word. no guitars, no banjos, no synthesizers, nothin like that. just because robert frost wrote a popular poem doesn't mean it was actually better than something else.

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Is it too early to say that Old is the album of the year? Because it's streaming on Spotify and it's really good.

Grovyl

Who dun dug diglett?
Wow, came into here thinking no one would be talking about Old. I'm just listening to it now. I love the different sides of the items, lyrical v. party music. Danny Brown has a few different tones/personalities, but I honestly think those few different tones are very extreme which can make his music kind of repetitive at times. Some of his flows are hard to decipher as well.

But of course, it's hard not to like him with such over-the-top enthusiasm. Definitely an album that can reach the top of this year.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
It's good to hear that people have been saying good things about Old by Danny Brown. I've never heard of Danny Brown outside his verse on 1train so hopefully this'll be as good as any entry point to get into the guy