• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hip Hop Thread - for the nerds that think they're black

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I don't know if the Kendrick album will really be out by the end of the year, apparently he's just got some ideas kicking around in the studio. Kanye pushed back his Australian tour to finish his next album, so that is probably happening. Word says it'll be an eight song album and be out by summer. Frank Ocean is in the studio, and the next Roots album is out next month.

Also coming eventually is a new Chance the Rapper project. I haven't seen him mentioned in this thread, but I whole-heartedly recommend listening to his mixtape Acid Rap. It is seriously the best mixtape I've heard in a long time and I'm really looking forward for whatever he does next. Be a little open-minded since Chance has a weird eccentric voice, kinda like Danny Brown or Lil Wayne. It definitely grew on me.

http://www.datpiff.com/Chance-The-Rapper-Acid-Rap-mixtape.483826.html

Pokemon trainer Black

All praise Helix!
I don't know if the Kendrick album will really be out by the end of the year, apparently he's just got some ideas kicking around in the studio. Kanye pushed back his Australian tour to finish his next album, so that is probably happening. Word says it'll be an eight song album and be out by summer. Frank Ocean is in the studio, and the next Roots album is out next month.

Also coming eventually is a new Chance the Rapper project. I haven't seen him mentioned in this thread, but I whole-heartedly recommend listening to his mixtape Acid Rap. It is seriously the best mixtape I've heard in a long time and I'm really looking forward for whatever he does next. Be a little open-minded since Chance has a weird eccentric voice, kinda like Danny Brown or Lil Wayne. It definitely grew on me.

http://www.datpiff.com/Chance-The-Rapper-Acid-Rap-mixtape.483826.html

I've heard of Chance one of his songs is on one of Rap Critics top ten lists.

I'll definitely give his Mixtape a lisen though

EDIT:I just listened to Chance the Rapper holy **** this guy is awesome he reminds me of ODB.

Last edited:

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Well the Roots album was a disappointment. Not enough Black Thought verses and too many interludes for an album that's already pretty short.

Speaking of short albums, I really want to recommend Run the Jewels since I haven't seen anyone in this thread. It's a collaboration between Killer Mike (rapper) and El-P (rapper and producer), and it's one of the best rap albums of 2013. It's only 33 minutes long and you can get it for free by signing up on their mailing list, so check it out.

[video=youtube;AfuCLp8VEng]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfuCLp8VEng[/video]

Laser Shuckle

One of the best rap albums of 2013? I thought it sucked but that's just me... The lyrics are completely forgettable and the beats all sound like your typical synthesized crap whipped up after 5 minutes on the computer. (and yes I listened to the whole thing, which was honestly a pretty boring experience)

On the bright side it is completely free though. and the second track "Banana Clipper" isn't half bad.

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
New Ab-Soul album coming out June 24th. I really liked Control System, so I'm looking forward to this.

Bo6qLRgCUAAXNBN.png

zhixun

It's an alright album but it doesn't give that horrorcore and unsettling feeling that the MMLP1 was blessed with
Rap God's a great track tho

Eminem is better for slower rap in my opinion. I liked old Eminem such as The Real Slim Shady and Without Me. I am not a fan of Rap God although it was decent quality. Talking about fast rap I would definitely recommend Twista and Busta Rhymes Can You Keep Up.

Pokemon trainer Black

All praise Helix!
So anyone here like the ASAP mob?

Acesnowboarder

Super Saiyan
So anyone here like the ASAP mob?

I prefer other New York Hip-hop collectives such as Pro Era, but ASAP Mob is still dope. Trillmatic with ASAP Nast and Method Man was straight fire.

Pokemon trainer Black

All praise Helix!
I prefer other New York Hip-hop collectives such as Pro Era, but ASAP Mob is still dope. Trillmatic with ASAP Nast and Method Man was straight fire.

Trillmatic is definitely in my best of list.

I also feel like when ever ASAP Rocky and ScHoolbot Q make a track they kill it.

T3chNik4

Ima lyrical murderer
A$AP Mob is decent, I got a few of their tracks but I honestly think they have very little to offer and I very rarely listen to them. A majority of their tracks is about drugs, money, guns, women, and fashion and that gets old and proves they have no ideas for music and shows they lack in lyricism. I like to listen to Hip-Hop artists that are different and has more diversity with their lyrics and topics showing true talent. I'm sure A$AP Mob has potential but I think their pretty wack from what I've heard. Their nothing but a get turnt up group and there's way too many rappers like that.

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Anyone checked out the new Ab-Soul album yet? I've heard some mixed things, even from people who liked Control System. I haven't given it a listen yet but I will soon.

junkieloser

legalize self abuse.
i've never attempted to get into hip hop before the last week or so and i'm finding myself enjoying east coast stuff a lot. not delved past entry level stuff (public enemy, big daddy kane, nas, etc) but i'm especially enjoying illmatic and the low end theory. help me not be a pleb.

T3chNik4

Ima lyrical murderer
i've never attempted to get into hip hop before the last week or so and i'm finding myself enjoying east coast stuff a lot. not delved past entry level stuff (public enemy, big daddy kane, nas, etc) but i'm especially enjoying illmatic and the low end theory. help me not be a pleb.

If you wanna get into Hip-Hop I suggest checking out rappers of all regions and get into underground rappers. Those are all old school rappers which is fine but there's some really good underground rappers in it today. To find good rap today you have to search for it so I'm gonna make your like a lot easier.

First off you gotta check out Twisted Insane. He's probably one if not the sickest (not the best but sickest) rapper in the game today. He's got wicked flow, sinister lyricism, superior music production/mixing, he's fast, etc. His name suites him very well. Not a lot of rappers today can touch him he's that good he's got everything.

Next must check out rapper is Freddie Gibbs. If you're into that old school gangsta rap then you'll like Gangsta Gibbs. Imo he's one of the best along with Twisted Insane and a few others when it comes to knowing the rap game. He's got it all; the voice, flow, beats, lyricism, delivery, everything. Not to mention he's been blowing up ever since he was discovered in GTA 5 with his song "Still Livin". A thing you may wanna know before you check him out is yes he's an official og and is not a fake gangster, he's a vice lord jsyk.

Kutt Calhoun's another rapper out today that's up on the top with what he does. He's another good rapper I'd check out.

Dizzy Wright, Kendrick Lamar, MGK (Machine Gun Kelly), Joey Bad*****, and Torae are a few more rappers out today that's really good as well.

But for real if you wanna get into hip hop just message me I'll introduce you to Hip-Hop

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

If you like ATCQ then I would greatly recommend De La Soul and The Pharcyde.

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑

Nice choice of artist you got there. CL Smooth is another good artist. I know people will definitely love illmatic and its probably (in my opinion) Nas's best album.

T3chNik4

Ima lyrical murderer
Illmatic is imo not only Nas's best album but one of Hip-Hop's best albums and very deep lyrically. Nas was probably the best story teller in the time. I think everybody can agree that the three top MC's for what they did is Tupac, Nas, and Biggie. Tupac made the biggest impact in Hip-Hop history by trying to change the world for the better and enlightening everybody about the government which is why he was hated by police and the government. Biggie hands down is the pinnacle when it comes to laying it down on a track he could flow to anything which is what a lot of rappers couldn't do. He had slower flow but he also showed a bit of quickness in his track with Bone Thugs - Notorious Thugs proving he can do it all. Not to mention his track Suicidal Thoughts leaves me speechless everytime I hear it. People that don't like Biggie I show them that song and they become speechless. Then Nas as best story teller, growing up in the projects of Brooklyn speaking about what happens there so well that you actually felt like you were there.

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑
Illmatic is imo not only Nas's best album but one of Hip-Hop's best albums and very deep lyrically. Nas was probably the best story teller in the time. I think everybody can agree that the three top MC's for what they did is Tupac, Nas, and Biggie. Tupac made the biggest impact in Hip-Hop history by trying to change the world for the better and enlightening everybody about the government which is why he was hated by police and the government. Biggie hands down is the pinnacle when it comes to laying it down on a track he could flow to anything which is what a lot of rappers couldn't do. He had slower flow but he also showed a bit of quickness in his track with Bone Thugs - Notorious Thugs proving he can do it all. Not to mention his track Suicidal Thoughts leaves me speechless everytime I hear it. People that don't like Biggie I show them that song and they become speechless. Then Nas as best story teller, growing up in the projects of Brooklyn speaking about what happens there so well that you actually felt like you were there.

illmatic was probably New York's finest during West Coast artist was dominating hip hop. I was going to buy that album online but it was expensive. Lucky for me I stumbled across Wu Tang Clan's first album when I was at Best Buy

T3chNik4

Ima lyrical murderer
illmatic was probably New York's finest during West Coast artist was dominating hip hop. I was going to buy that album online but it was expensive. Lucky for me I stumbled across Wu Tang Clan's first album when I was at Best Buy

That's a good pickup Enter the Wu-Tang is a solid album a golden classic. You check FYE for Illmatic? They may have a copy online at a cheaper price.

Rezzo

Occasionally
Tupac made the biggest impact in Hip-Hop history by trying to change the world for the better and enlightening everybody about the government which is why he was hated by police and the government.

He was neither the best, the first, or possibly even the most influential rapper to do this. Public Enemy and Boogie Down were doing this in their own styles in the 1980's, and the former of which caused much more of a ruckus than 2pac did.

People that don't like Biggie I show them that song and they become speechless.

lol

Then Nas as best story teller, growing up in the projects of Brooklyn speaking about what happens there so well that you actually felt like you were there.

Nas is from Queens, not Brooklyn. I do hope you made a typo and not a factual error, because I can't take your post seriously when you're praising Nas for his storytelling while being misinformed at the same time

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Busta Rhymes new track featuring Eminem. Opinions anyone?

[video=youtube;cklwGaNKMCo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cklwGaNKMCo[/video]