• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hip Hop Thread - for the nerds that think they're black

Young_Simba

Am I the only one who is kind of disappointed in this year of Hip Hop so far? I mean 2013 was absolutely amazing with albums such as Born Sinner, Yeezus, The LP2 and Magna Carta, compared to this year there has been no good albums really. What I need is for Kendrick to drop that album in 2 months and for Kanye to just be Kanye and make good music the way he always does. Speaking of Kendrick's album, the title of it is going to be "The United States of A.L.A.R.M." from what I heard.

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Am I the only one who is kind of disappointed in this year of Hip Hop so far? I mean 2013 was absolutely amazing with albums such as Born Sinner, Yeezus, The LP2 and Magna Carta, compared to this year there has been no good albums really. What I need is for Kendrick to drop that album in 2 months and for Kanye to just be Kanye and make good music the way he always does. Speaking of Kendrick's album, the title of it is going to be "The United States of A.L.A.R.M." from what I heard.

That Kendrick album title is a rumor, there is no confirmed date or title. The TDE CEO can brag all he wants, but I won't believe that a Kendrick album is releasing this year until it's in my hands.

And I'm looking forward to the Kanye album and whatever Frank Ocean is doing, but I disagree with people saying that it's been a bad year in hip-hop. So far, I've been enjoying:

Ab-Soul - These Days
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Pinata (my favorite so far)
Isaiah Rashad - Cilvia Demo
Mac Miller - Faces
The Roots - And Then You Shoot Your Cousin
Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron

We've also had projects from YG, Rick Ross, Kid Cudi, Pharrell, Riff Raff, etc... I'm still looking forward to what's next from Earl Sweatshirt, Jay Rock, Chance the Rapper, Big Boi, Run the Jewels, Common, Wu-Tang, Lil Wayne, the previously mentioned Kanye/Kendrick/Frank albums, etc. I understand if a lot of those artists don't interest you, though.

In other news, REST IN PEACE DEATH GRIPS.

Rezzo

Occasionally
i've never attempted to get into hip hop before the last week or so and i'm finding myself enjoying east coast stuff a lot. not delved past entry level stuff (public enemy, big daddy kane, nas, etc) but i'm especially enjoying illmatic and the low end theory. help me not be a pleb.

Favour for a favour I guess for suggesting me some metal recently
Try these:
De La Soul - Buhloone Mindstate & Stakes Is High
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Enter the Wu-Tang and solos are also quite essential, i.e. Liquid Swords and Ironman.

If you like Paul's Boutique and the production on early Public Enemy, you might want some more production-focused stuff like Madvillain and Dr. Octagon

Young_Simba

That Kendrick album title is a rumor, there is no confirmed date or title. The TDE CEO can brag all he wants, but I won't believe that a Kendrick album is releasing this year until it's in my hands.

Looks like you're right about that album title, but hopefully that album does drop by the end of the year.
Kanye will drop his first album as a married man, I'm thinking this album will be legendary, Ye is at his prime right now.

AcidArmor

Looking forward to B4.DA.$$, Joey's solo projects along with his work with Pro Era hasn't disappointed so far.

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
My faves are Lupe Fiasco & Drake. I sometimes listen to Kanye, as he gives me a confidence boost. Nice. I like Nickis changed looks. really natural & pretty. I Like her, too.

Slau

I'm (not) a rapper.
I have been listening to a lot of Aussie hip-hop lately. A few I've listened to are Bliss n Eso, Drapht, Illy and Hilltop Hoods.
I definetely recommend to check out Bliss n Eso's albums, especially Running on Air. BnE has quickly become my favourite hip-hop group.

Urrnge

A Dandy Guy in Space
Cool, a hip-hop thread.

Well hip-hop is my favorite genre of music, and I listen to the various subgenres of it too. Admittidly I used to be that guy that would only listen to a song if it was, "deep and meaningful" while at the same time bashing others who listened to non-conscious hip-hop. Holy crap, I am so glad I grew out of that. Now I listen for both the beat and the lyrics, because I love songs with a banging beat.

My favorite artists are Lupe Fiasco, The Game, Waka Flocka Flame, Nas, and Mobb Deep. I've also been listening to a lot of T.I's stuff lately, and I'm really liking it.

Pokemon trainer Black

All praise Helix!

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Kanye, Kendrick, Frank Ocean, and The Roots all have albums coming out in 2014 and none of them have a bad album in their discography (in my opinion). 2014 just might top 2013 in terms of hype.

lol

- The Roots album was a disappointment
- Kanye album is nowhere in sight
- Kendrick album is nowhere in sight
- Frank Ocean album is nowhere in sight

There were some rumors that Apple would be planning another surprise release on iTunes like the Beyonce album and I wouldn't be shocked if Kanye did something similar.

And those rumors were about the U2 album no one cared about.

At least Run The Jewels 2 was really good.

Rezzo

Occasionally
Rolling Stone called Songs of Innocence the best album of 2014, so like 30 old people in America somewhere cared (for some reason)

The second part to Death Grips' latest (and last) is also nowhere to be seen. Quite expected if you're aware of their erratic release schedule

Chili

I love Kendrick Lamar, Erykah Badu, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Drake, Nicki Minaj, Alicia Keys, Janelle Monae, and Sevyn Streeter.

I find Iggy Azalea disgusting because she can't even rap and is not hip hop. She literally is just talking.

Anyways, here's a Hip Hop song I really like by Erykah Badu.

Honey- Erykah Badu

XYMewtwo

Rising Star
Still waiting for that new Kendrick album to drop...

Edit: He just released a new song "The Blacker the Berry" that's set to appear in his new album.

Last edited:

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
So is there a reason why Juicy J is in like every song now? XD

I mean I don't think he's "terrible" but holy crap he's in too much. :/

sanae

stop trying to be god ☆
kendrick on the 23 and death grips on the 30 :>
plus there's a 12 minute song on the end of kendrick's, so something like sing about me, i'm dying of thirst would be fantastic.
i believe 16 songs, plus stuff from deluxe editions/bonus tracks.
kanye's new album sounds like it'll be interesting as well, to say the least.

a little late, but what were you guys' top albums of last year?

XYMewtwo

Rising Star
Kendrick revealed the name of the album and the album cover:

cover170x170.jpeg

To Pimp a Butterfly

kendrick on the 23 and death grips on the 30 :>
plus there's a 12 minute song on the end of kendrick's, so something like sing about me, i'm dying of thirst would be fantastic.
i believe 16 songs, plus stuff from deluxe editions/bonus tracks.
kanye's new album sounds like it'll be interesting as well, to say the least.

a little late, but what were you guys' top albums of last year?

I'd have to say 2014 Forest Hills Drive by J.Cole and Oxymoron by Schoolboy Q. Not really a fan of Drakes new album.