• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hip Hop Thread - for the nerds that think they're black

Chili

Truuue. He even said it himself that it was inspired by funk. I honestly expected a bit more of the GKMC beats, but I guess it's pretty decent. Instant classic if you ask me.

I'm listening to it right now and I'm liking it. It is funky!

Rezzo

Occasionally
There's something a little cryptic about this whole album so far for me. This is only my first listen, but I feel like I am being bombarded with ideas. I'm sure this will entertain me for a long time

XYMewtwo

Rising Star
To Pimp a Butterfly is pretty damn dark. I mean, with songs like "u" it's really a deep message Kendrick's trying to push out here.

Btw, this album is Fire Packed! I'm actually really beginning to enjoy it :D

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Despite the acclaim it's getting from critics and fans, I think the general public will find it to be polarizing. Not to sound pretentious, but GKMC was a great blend of accessibility and social conscious themes. TPAB doesn't really have great radio songs like Backstreet Freestyle, Swimming Pools, Poetic Justice, and ***** Don't Kill My Vibe.

Doesn't really matter to me though, I love the album and it will be in my rotation for a long time.

XYMewtwo

Rising Star
Despite the acclaim it's getting from critics and fans, I think the general public will find it to be polarizing. Not to sound pretentious, but GKMC was a great blend of accessibility and social conscious themes. TPAB doesn't really have great radio songs like Backstreet Freestyle, Swimming Pools, Poetic Justice, and ***** Don't Kill My Vibe.

Doesn't really matter to me though, I love the album and it will be in my rotation for a long time.

Right, TPAB is more of a story-telling experience than GKMC, you need to listen to the songs in order to get the best experience. I feel like the "radio" songs on TPAB are The Blacker the Berry, King Kunta, and How Much a Dollar Cost.

Most of the general audience actually hated the album, saying that it didn't feel like Kendrick at all, and that they "expected an actual rap album". The Jazz/Funk element that he incorporated was just genius.

Dr. Cooper

Bazinga
My favorite is Eminem, but I also listens to Tupac, Biggie and Nas. I think they're the top 4 in this exact order. Of the other mainstream rappers, I can enjoy some of Jay-Z and Kanye, and some other song scattered here and there.

MARCOD1091

Right, TPAB is more of a story-telling experience than GKMC, you need to listen to the songs in order to get the best experience. I feel like the "radio" songs on TPAB are The Blacker the Berry, King Kunta, and How Much a Dollar Cost.

Most of the general audience actually hated the album, saying that it didn't feel like Kendrick at all, and that they "expected an actual rap album". The Jazz/Funk element that he incorporated was just genius.

i would also add alright to that list, and i do agree TPAB was a great album, but idk i have preferred GKMC than TPAB. Telling a good story isnt the only thing that makes music good, if the song sounds bad no ones gonna listen to it even if you have some deep message hidden.

in terms of my favortie rappers atm i would say kanye, j cole, kendrick, kid cudi, earl, tyler, asap rocky, childish gambino, chance, vic mensa, joey badass, travis, and some others.