• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hoenn Region, Site of Fierce Fights! The Battle Frontier Challenge!! (1096)

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I like how Ash picked up Lana's sense of humor by saying the Wurmple were evolving only to pull a "just kidding" on Go.

As one of the two protagonists of this show, it makes no sense to even think this, let alone assume and entertain the vcry notion.

Go is just as much protagonist as Ash is, and that is something that you and anyone else relevant to this point must learn to except. There is no "stealing" what is rightfully Go's to begin with. That is taking an out-of-universe perspective and imposing it onto the show, which is concieted and very selfish, not to mention an intellectually dishonest read of what is actually being presented. (And, in an aside, why this show is infamously mis-characterized by much of its vocal peripery fandom in general.)

While I do agree that Go is entitled to tons of screen time because he was advertised as "co-protagonist," I think this somehow says more about Ash than it does Go. We've probably reached a peak in terms of where writers want to take Ash and thus will leave him slightly more static compared to Go who is newer and the writers haven't exactly hit a peak on where they want to take him.

Last edited:

johno1995

One thing I'm appreciating is the balance between Ash looking like a buffoon (he's constantly the butt of jokes--pun intended with this new "Scorbunny kicking his butt" gag) and his competency. It makes him a more endearing character imo if he's comedic and yet still skilled at what he does.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I saw the Mr. Mime fight. It's easily nowhere as badass and creative as the Pokemon Adventures one but I have to say, it's definitely the second-most badass Mr. Mime fight I've seen and is easily the best match in the animated series in my opinion. I like how they show that trainer input matters a lot to show a difference in skill.

PokeFreak1200

Mr.Mime's face, like why? Still Mr.Mime was fun to watch as he decimated the Hariyama. He's been getting a lot of screen time this season, being shown in the op, hanging out in the lab, and now battling too. It'd be interesting if he ends up in more serious battles with Ash, though hopefully less goofy. The reflect tactic, while it does have potential looked a bit too goofy in the battle.

I feel that Gou kind of got over the defeat really fast. Like he went out for a minute, watched a battle and all of a sudden hes over it. Would have been better if he had a training session with Ash and learned how to battle. Even a standard team rocket battle would feel like a better resolution, but I guess they wanted to fit it all in one episode.

The battle with Pikachu was great, and again shows electro web's versatility and usefulness. Hoji himself was a likable character with a gag that hopefully doesn't get old. Still hoping there's more battle centered episodes, and tournaments that at least last more than 1 episode.

Also did anyone notice background Ash and Hoji in that battle? Ash looks like a stick person in one of those shots.

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
I gotta say this show has a way of winning me over even when I question its decisions. I went from wondering why they'd have Mr. Mime fight to legitimately wanting it as a core member of Ash's team. Still doesn't sit well with me how they've approached this shift in its role but it strikes such a good balance now between being funny/cool/disturbing that it would be a real shame not to see it battle again.

This episode also had a ton of great gags like Go getting caught up mimicking Mr Mime's movements, the mother seeing him crawl along the ground after Tailow, and of course Mr. Mime's faces in general. Little touches like those make me feel like a lot of love is put into the show since they're constantly coming up with these fun little moments that aren't strictly necessary to the episode, but add so much character.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
The girl who rewarded Ash for winning the Battle Frontier reminds me of the "Cross Time" girls, with her clothes and her pointed tooth, since I'm also a fan of the Pump It Up arcade game.

As for the battles, poor Go. I know he's less experienced in battles but damn did the writers roasted him hard against his opponent. He could have landed some hits at least.

And yeah, Ash is too good thanks to plot armor, along with many region experiences, because the things he did wouldn't be as effective in the games due to the lack of real-time actions.

Koharu seems to be more pessimistic than before. I hope in the future episodes she would lighten herself up more.

Also the part where Go ran away being upset in defeat while Ash is still cheering him gave me that Aria & Serena vibe in their episode.

So they went to Hoenn for an episode without May or any important characters cameos from AG. I think it would happen the same thing in Sinnoh without Dawn or any important characters from DP as well after seeing the next episode preview.

Anyways, fun episode. I like Mr.Mime and I wasn't the one who judged him because of its appearence during the preview discussion.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
So at the end Mimey was blowing one of the flutes. Wonder if that means anything?

That's what you're supposed to do with them. Not much more to it than that.

Did they tell if this tournament was held in Fallarbor? Or a specific city in Hoenn?

It was in the Battle Frontier, hence the title.

It'd be interesting if he ends up in more serious battles with Ash, though hopefully less goofy.

It's a mime. Other than being creepy sins against nature, that's kind of their entire shtick.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
One thing I'm appreciating is the balance between Ash looking like a buffoon (he's constantly the butt of jokes--pun intended with this new "Scorbunny kicking his butt" gag) and his competency. It makes him a more endearing character imo if he's comedic and yet still skilled at what he does.
...In other words, he still is a shonen hero.

Idiot who's only good(?) for action.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Horrible concept, nice execution. I'm pleasantly surprised despite my grumpyness with continuity. Mr Mime was actually entertaining as a battler and that Pikachu match was really solid. He just keeps winning tournaments
Agree
Btw there IS continuity, since Mr Mime is a pokémon caught/befriended in Indigo League. It could be forgotten like Tracey, but no, he is here
It's worse than bringing reserves, but still some continuity

Rune Knight

While I genuinely enjoyed this entry as a stand alone episode; the back of my mind couldn't help but notice the missed opportunities here. To be frank, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it was still there.

I like Mimey's character, but I think that an alternative approach would've been a more optimal choice; whether it'd be a reserve or a new capture. Nevertheless, the way that Ash used him in battle was properly executed I must say.

I was happy that they refrained from dumbing Ash down this series as he absolutely dominated in the tournament. Though this could pose a threat later if they aim to make him invincible, I'm sure that they can work around it by introducing more challenging or higher level threats. Ash is clearly still at the level that he was at the end of S&M.

It feels like they are making Ash take the role of a sort of mentor. The way that Go behaves after losing a battle is similar to how Ash did at the start of his journey; inhibiting signs of frustration and depression which is a crucial plot point for character development.

Visually the episode was great; and as usual got a lot of MHA vibes from the bgm.

Overall, I'd give it an 8/10.

Last edited:

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
First half of the episode was cringe, and the second half was rather lacking since it was two curbstomps back-to-back

But at least we got Hoji Jostar, I guess

You'd think someone who could take out an Altaria would put up more of a fight

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I saw the Mr. Mime fight. It's easily nowhere as badass and creative as the Pokemon Adventures one but I have to say, it's definitely the second-most badass Mr. Mime fight I've seen and is easily the best match in the animated series in my opinion. I like how they show that trainer input matters a lot to show a difference in skill.
Pokepse Sabrina is diffficult to top, eh?

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Fantastic episode!

These last few batches of episode have been solid, felt good to break away from the "Sakuragi giving a mission for them and them traveling there" format. Satoshi demonstrating his sense of wanderlust and joy for battling that he would seek out a tournament in Hoenn and even enter his own friend in it was entertaining. Speaking of friends, the Satoshi/Go interactions here were much more what I enjoy about their dynamic and want of it. Satoshi subtly pushing his friend to be better and try out something brand-new in battling. Go's development with losing painfully fast, discarding battling (in the same way he gave-up on Satoshi after one argument in NS003) was interesting. I feel like this is all building up on Go himself seemingly giving up on things very fast when they go south for him and I want to know more about him and past with his classmates/school because Koharu did mention something of him not having friends if I recall?

I also like how they sort of foreshadowed Go's poor battling skills with him ignoring Satoshi's advice before about trying to catch Pokemon through weakening them in battle versus just tossing a ball. Strike losing so fast was shocking given that's a naturally "strong" Pokemon and it was training on its own. Also the art really asserts how crappy the proportions on Hibunny are at times (common criticism at the big-headed, new generation starters during initial release.) Barrierd was great this episode, this might inspire me to finally watch Detective Pikachu. Watching Barrierd battle in such a different and more calm/defensive manner was some new ground for Satoshi as a trainer to an extent. Given how he was stated to be battling as a goal this saga I do hope we get continued innovation in battling like that. It was a good way to show Go the light with coming to realize all isn't what it seems in Pokemon battling.

Really liked the callback to the Kung-fu stretching being why Barrierd could be so evasive, reminds me of real life Kung-fu stretching or Yoga (I enjoy both) The switch from calm and defensive battling to tactical, straightforward fighting with Pikachu makes me think PM2019 is going to be knocking it out of the park when it focuses on battles in a strong way. Swell to see the Electroweb-Iron Tail springboard from the Alola League make its return here. The framing was even pretty identical at that. I feel like Satoshi got the best of both worlds here with a fight of brains v. brawns then something more up his ally with Pikachu. I hope we haven't seen the last of Barrierd, wouldn't have minded confirmation that he was officially "Satoshi's Pokemon" team member like Kaki's Lizardon became an official battler later on rather than just a Ride 'mon. The mime lacking a fourth move and being intimidated by Graena despite being a Fairy-type gives me hope, maybe some rivalry with its Galarian cousin (or it becomes its Galarian self?)

I'm not unhappy with Go's capturing goal knowing the writers are actually allowing them some personality and screen time after the fact, casual stuff like Kaiross's temper, Strike's training, Transel apparently being good at stretching. Go also catching Subame and using it to lead him to Kemusso was cool too from a lore standpoint (love that researcher aspect of him). I really liked Go a lot in this episode despite it being mainly an episode about Satoshi's glory and victory because they were used more so as a catalyst to develop Go as well. Things'll only get better for Satoshi in terms of great focus on his battle talents once we get a full-on episode centralized around him for his sake solely. Also Koharu talking to and being okay with Satoshi is kind of a bummer, was hoping that the writers were building up to some development for them becoming friends with her being a little leery of him at first but I guess it was a case of just not having them interact rather than anything worth development or a focus episode. Lame.

Otherwise, fun episode.

Soo, the Battle Frontier is now an actual location like in the games? Looks good. It might even have the Battle Tower! Finally the project is complete
Ironic given how last I checked Masuda slapped a sign in ORAS saying the "The Battle Frontier Project has Begun" then later commented that people wouldn't care about such content due to the presence of mobile games. Between all this Pokemon GO shilling, Go catching a bunch of a Pokemon that don't exist in SwSh and them slapping national dex numbers in the anime it almost feels like the anime is subtly taking the piss out of the actual mainline games.

Last edited:

thedarkdragon11

P4P Elite
Since this episode taught Go about battles through Ash, am I the only one who feels that an Ash vs. Leon episode will teach Go lessons on how to cope up with losing in a hard-fought battle despite preparing well?

Because Go seems to be so amazed with Ash's battling skills and Ash might continue winning against decent trainers and legendaries, maybe even against E4-level ones and former league crushers (if they will even show up), until facing Leon in a 1v1...

CupidKirby

I love that little scene in the beginning with Gou's bug Pokemon. Pinsir looks like a badass but is actually scared of battling. Metapod is suave and excellent at martial arts. I also hope Hoji is a recurring character. He was pretty fun and we need a bigger supporting cast.

Dang though. I guess trophies like this are as easy to collect as flowers off the side of the road for Ash now. Seriously, he destroyed the entire tournament bracket so thoroughly that even the only match that was worth showing, he won 2-0 and with both Pokemon at (nearly) full health. If winning tournaments and competitions are so easy for him now, I guess I can't really blame Ash for not wanting to do the whole badge-shtick again in this series. At least not yet.

On that note, I'm happy that this series isn't adverse to the idea of showing power gaps in a battle. Sometimes it feels like Pokemon doesn't want that to happen too often because then it goes against the message of trying hard, or because it doesn't look as good as winning by the skin of your teeth, or because of the bias that a character's debut means they get plot armor for the sake of advertisement to the kiddies. But no. Ash is the champion now. Gou is a total newbie. Ash is allowed to curbstomp the guy who curbstomped his friend. It makes me a lot more confident in how the power-scaling of this anime will be for Ash. No more losing to people who he shouldn't logically lose to anymore.

I actually think Mimey would be cool as an Ash Pokemon, but it really bugs me how it feels like they skipped all the work to get to this point. Suddenly Mimey is acting like a real mime, has a Pokeball, is willing to be carried around/fight with Ash, and is apparently a badass too. Like...wasn't the point that it enjoyed housekeeping and could keep Ash's Mom company?

I wouldn't mind all this if it was built up gradually but it really feels like they saw Detective Pikachu and were like "Yep we can do that" and just used the new series as an excuse to retcon Mimey entirely into the role they wanted it in.

If it counts for anything, Mr.Mime did suddenly freeze up and refuse to battle once a Pokemon that did neutral damage on it appeared. It probably only agreed to fight Hariyama because it had the full advantage and knew it could win so wanted to show off. It might still hate battling overall and be a bit of a wimp. But no, you're right that this is still iffy as heck.

Agreed! This was actually one of the issues I had with XY concerning Ash and how he had to be that badass competent trainer everyone looked up to 24/7 and in every aspect of his character and relevance to the plot.

Red and Blue

At first I thought Mimey's fear of Mightyeana was due to the Dark type but then I remembered it was part Fairy. Even if it didnt have a Fairy move it still had access to a super effective Focus Punch.

I would have rathered it lost then chicken out