• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hoenn Region, Site of Fierce Fights! The Battle Frontier Challenge!! (1096)

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
If it counts for anything, Mr.Mime did suddenly freeze up and refuse to battle once a Pokemon that did neutral damage on it appeared. It probably only agreed to fight Hariyama because it had the full advantage and knew it could win so wanted to show off. It might still hate battling overall and be a bit of a wimp. But no, you're right that this is still iffy as heck.

Agreed! This was actually one of the issues I had with XY concerning Ash and how he had to be that badass competent trainer everyone looked up to 24/7 and in every aspect of his character and relevance to the plot.
I thought Mr. Mime didn't want Ash to abuse its perfect skills, so it let Pikachu do the rest of the battle to make it work.

Yeah, and he just took care of almost every threatening situations that there's barely any rooms for his companions to get the spotlights on their own in which I really care.

Red and Blue

I think Mr Mime quitting was to remind viewers that he still not REALLY an Ash Pokemon and he's basically doing Jim a favor by battling with him but he can opt out of it anytime he wishes
If so Ash better work on that or else Mimey will cost him a match in the future

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Also the art really asserts how crappy the proportions on Hibunny are at times (common criticism at the big-headed, new generation starters during initial release.)

Yeah, I've noticed that as well.

Interesting thing: according to game data, Scorbunny is supposed to be slight smaller than Chespin (0.4 if I recall) but in some shots, it seems taller than a Chespin, considering how the anime portrayed it.

Ironic given how last I checked Masuda slapped a sign in ORAS saying the "The Battle Frontier Project has Begun" then later commented that people wouldn't care about such content due to the presence of mobile games. Between all this Pokemon GO shilling, Go catching a bunch of a Pokemon that don't exist in SwSh and them slapping national dex numbers in the anime it almost feels like the anime is subtly taking the piss out of the actual mainline games.

Not long ago people reported of Game Freak taking Creatures Inc. out of their partners page. But yesterday I've found out they also took out a subsidiary of Shogakukan as well. If I recall Shogakukan is kind of one of the anime owners.

Considering how the anime is right now, I'm starting to think that something could have happened behind the scenes that kind of changed the partnership the anime has with Game Freak.

We'll never know though and that's just me doing conjectures.

CupidKirby

Not long ago people reported of Game Freak taking Creatures Inc. out of their partners page. But yesterday I've found out they also took out a subsidiary of Shogakukan as well. If I recall Shogakukan is kind of one of the anime owners.

Considering how the anime is right now, I'm starting to think that something could have happened behind the scenes that kind of changed the partnership the anime has with Game Freak.

Oh geez. Is that true? Thanks for sharing. That's quite interesting. It's kind of difficult to say if they would ever dare do that though considering that the games are the biggest source of income and everything else (ie. the toys, the anime, the cardgame) are mostly glorified advertisements for them. It makes sense if that were the case, they'd turn to shilling the mobile games instead.

Red and Blue

I actually quite like the character of Hoji, both character and design wise. I actually wouldnt have minded if he defeated Ash. Hopefully we see more opponents like him in the other regions.

Btw, anyone else notice how similar his match with Ash was with Ash vs. Hala? They were near identical in so many ways

Last edited:

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
Hoenn's Battle Frontier has been introduced, and it looks like quite like it's original design in the game. However, it clearly can't be like in the games, and the Frontier Brains are in Kanto. There's a building similar to the Battle Factory, an obvious Battle Tower, and something that appears to be the Battle Dome. However, there's no trace of things like the Battle Pike or the Battle Pyramid.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Hoenn's Battle Frontier has been introduced, and it looks like quite like it's original design in the game. However, it clearly can't be like in the games, and the Frontier Brains are in Kanto. There's a building similar to the Battle Factory, an obvious Battle Tower, and something that appears to be the Battle Dome. However, there's no trace of things like the Battle Pike or the Battle Pyramid.
My theory is that the battle facilities are mobile like the pyramid

Leonhart

Imagineer
Eddieursa said:
However, there's no trace of things like the Battle Pike or the Battle Pyramid.

I'm assuming that they simply haven't been built yet. I will say however that the new Battle Tower looks impressive. I'm sad that Tower Tycoon Lila wasn't shown, but at least the Battle Tower's design lived up to my expectations.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Yeah, I've noticed that as well.

Interesting thing: according to game data, Scorbunny is supposed to be slight smaller than Chespin (0.4 if I recall) but in some shots, it seems taller than a Chespin, considering how the anime portrayed it.

Pretty sure that Creatures bit was an error.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I feel people (not here just people watching the anime) fail to realize this is no the BF Ash did. This is a tournament using the name. I keep seeing people getting pissy saying they ruined the BF when this is a tournament and says in the title while the BF Ash did was more of a gym badge quest. Now with that said I would not be shocked if the winner of the BF tournament got Scott's attention and he had them do the real BF but after seeing it was Ash he was likely meh

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
.......THAT Mr Mime face

10/10
I have no idea why everyone is saying it is a JoJo refrence when it is clearly a Detective Pikachu one. I'm shocked nobody has it as a pfp yet

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Oh geez. Is that true? Thanks for sharing. That's quite interesting. It's kind of difficult to say if they would ever dare do that though considering that the games are the biggest source of income and everything else (ie. the toys, the anime, the cardgame) are mostly glorified advertisements for them. It makes sense if that were the case, they'd turn to shilling the mobile games instead.

I recall someone posted how much each "branch" of the franchises profits and I remember seeing the movies and merchandise did better than the games. Don't have the numbers right now, though.

Pretty sure that Creatures bit was an error.

Was it fixed? Honestly, I only remembering finding the report about the take out and no mention of correction or updates.

Ace Kenshader

Dreaming sexy
Also, I'm kind of surprised that there's debate on whether Mr. Mime is actually Ash's pokemon, since it's pretty clear that it has been from the original series (EP0064 to be precise), and has been in the care of Delia ever since until the new series.

Red and Blue

Also, I'm kind of surprised that there's debate on whether Mr. Mime is actually Ash's pokemon, since it's pretty clear that it has been from the original series (EP0064 to be precise), and has been in the care of Delia ever since until the new series.
When was it clear Mimey belonged to Ash? We didnt even know it had a Poke Ball until this episode. Ash wasn't shown catching it in that episode you mentioned