• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hoenn Triangle

Are you Entering the NU Tourney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
I'm really excited for this, it's time to make a name for ourselves! Submerged Embassy and Eternian Forces are currently warring so they're out, and Pixelf Dreams doesn't even have a war team, so they're out too. So that means we can only really choose from Veneno Oscuridad and Dracanea (I hope I'm spelling all of these right). I'd kind of prefer VE because honestly based on both clans' war histories they seem more beatable, not trying to bash them or anything. We also might want to find some subs.

Both guilds seem like a decent choice to war with, I'll let the rest of the war team decide (each member must tell me who they'd like to war so I can send them a request).

I'm building an ORAS OU team around Mega Altaria, and so far it seems pretty good. I've gotten 4 team members and need to decide on a hazard remover for the 5th - it's between Starmie and Scizor (my team is currently Altaria / Heatran / Rotom- Wash / Landorus- Therian). Both check Gengar which is good, and both provide some assistance to my team. Scizor adds much wanted priority to my team but doesn't possess much bulk in comparison to it's Mega, which is the superior choice for a Defogger. Starmie isn't all that bulky but checks a lot my team can't at the moment like Mega Venusaur, Gengar (as mentioned), Gliscor (since it can stall Rotom- Wash out of Hydro Pump PP) and possesses reliable recovery in Recover. Talonflame which is normally a problem is beaten by half my team, so it's not really a threat. Mew might be an interesting idea - it checks Mega Venusaur and has Defog alongside good 100/100/100 bulk and access to a ton of recovery options. Any ideas which one I use?

Last edited:

Romeo32

Both guilds seem like a decent choice to war with, I'll let the rest of the war team decide (each member must tell me who they'd like to war so I can send them a request).

I'm building an ORAS OU team around Mega Altaria, and so far it seems pretty good. I've gotten 4 team members and need to decide on a hazard remover for the 5th - it's between Starmie and Scizor (my team is currently Altaria / Heatran / Rotom- Wash / Landorus- Therian). Both check Gengar which is good, and both provide some assistance to my team. Scizor adds much wanted priority to my team but doesn't possess much bulk in comparison to it's Mega, which is the superior choice for a Defogger. Starmie isn't all that bulky but checks a lot my team can't at the moment like Mega Venusaur, Gengar (as mentioned), Gliscor (since it can stall Rotom- Wash out of Hydro Pump PP) and possesses reliable recovery in Recover. Talonflame which is normally a problem is beaten by half my team, so it's not really a threat. Mew might be an interesting idea - it checks Mega Venusaur and has Defog alongside good 100/100/100 bulk and access to a ton of recovery options. Any ideas which one I use?
I usually prefer Rapid Spin over Defog because I don't like getting rid of my own hazards, plus Starmie seems to do more for your team, so I'd go with him. If Greninja ends up staying in OU this team would have problems with him, but other than that it looks pretty solid even if it is the epitome of standard OU ;)

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
Provided Greninja is banned, then yeah it becomes an issue. But I've seen the huge amounts of pro-ban for Greninja, and I think it'll go. If not then I'm officially screwed and my team dies. So Starmie would be a good choice (I don't see it much anymore, which is sad). 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 Spe should suffice I think. I don't know.

Romeo32

Provided Greninja is banned, then yeah it becomes an issue. But I've seen the huge amounts of pro-ban for Greninja, and I think it'll go. If not then I'm officially screwed and my team dies. So Starmie would be a good choice (I don't see it much anymore, which is sad). 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 Spe should suffice I think. I don't know.
Yeah, Greninja's probably gonna go, I'm laddering on the Suspect Test ladder now, not sure how I'll vote, probably pro-ban just because I find Greninja annoying to play against and I never used it that much anyway. Those Starmie EVs should be fine, I've never run bulky Starmie so I wouldnt know a better set.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
I'm not completely sure on Starmie to be honest; it's bulk isn't great and it loses to more than it beats in the tier. I'm not entirely sure it'll be my best option, but I'm keeping it as an option for now since it is still pretty damn cool. I don't think Mew is a viable option for my team. Since I have Landorus- T I don't want Excadrill as well, and the Lati twins add on a Fairy and Ice weakness. Zapdos could work but I have Birdspam checked, meaning I don't need it. Skarmory I don't like; it's set-up bait for so much and I have hazards under control. Scizor works better if it had a Mega to use Defog, but in terms of typing and ability it works pretty well on the team.

Well I started a Blood Elf Hunter in World of Warcraft, and I think I've given up on the Hunter. It's just not working out for me - they're everywhere and whilst they pull of amazing damage and look pretty good doing it, I cannot seem to find the motivation to do it. Monk was my other option I was going for, but the low DPS output is... off-putting. It is fun to play though and I can hope they improve Monk DPS by the time I get to Level 100 and do Warlords of Draenor. Looking at the other classes, nothing else stands out bar maybe trying a Warrior or Mage again.

Last edited:

The Last Jedi

Stalling is Cowardly
So now that we (finally) have a full war team, can we challenge another guild to a war?

Where is the ruleset? I can't find it.

Finally done with the national dex! 720/720 :) also it's on page 903-905 at the bottom of the Leauge post in the spoiler marked "banned list"

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
I'd like to war with Veneno Oscuridad. They have less experience than other guilds.

Noted.

I just bought my new mounts for World of Warcraft - the Iron Skyreaver and the Enchanted Fey Dragon. Both look awesome, the former I prefer but the latter is also pretty neat since it changes colour. I started an Undead Monk and a Pandaren Rogue as well, the former will be my main and the latter is mainly farming for ore (since Panda-land is full of Copper Ore and Undead-land isn't, plus it means I can try out a Combat Rogue). I don't know if I'll keep the Monk or try something else, since my new mounts open up some new options (Mage would look nice with the mounts, as would Paladins and Warriors). I think I'll keep it though.

Still choosing my 5th team option so far - Starmie and Scizor being my best options. I'll look and see which checks the most and as such would be better for my team.

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
Greninja being banned is ridiculous. Its frailties make it easy to beat and can be abused easily upon using Scarfed or faster Pokemon. Given it is quite fast, Greninja still falls short of expectations against said variants of Pokemon.

On a similar, I had yet another exciting battle again this morning using my new team. I'm never on PS too often, but when I am, I'm mainly testing teams on my secondary account, so if you don't see me online there, that'd be why. My team is basically solid, so I want to try and bring up an issue when using Volcarona. Volcarona's bulky set, from the battles I've been in, is very unpredictably effective. Noone really expects to see a Volc running WoW, however Heatran are everywhere.....literally... Cutting down physical attackers is easy, however Heatran makes its very presence difficult. This brings me to the abundance of Talonflame, who I've seen more often than Greninja. Maybe it's just my preference, but banning a Pokemon based on annoyance and personal dislike is uncanny, seeing as how Heatran and Talonflame are also everywhere and very much annoying. Greninja doesn't deserve a bann as much as Talonflame, imo. Or at least a bann for Gale Wings.

I also second Starmie as your best option. Starmie or Tentacruel, tbh. SubSpikes is a monster.

Last edited:

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
Greninja being banned is ridiculous. Its frailties make it easy to beat and can be abused easily upon using Scarfed or faster Pokemon. Given it is quite fast, Greninja still falls short of expectations against said variants of Pokemon.

On a similar, I had yet another exciting battle again this morning using my new team. I'm never on PS too often, but when I am, I'm mainly testing teams on my secondary account, so if you don't see me online there, that'd be why. My team is basically solid, so I want to try and bring up an issue when using Volcarona. Volcarona's bulky set, from the battles I've been in, is very unpredictably effective. Noone really expects to see a Volc running WoW, however Heatran are everywhere.....literally... Cutting down physical attackers is easy, however Heatran makes its very presence difficult. This brings me to the abundance of Talonflame, who I've seen more often than Greninja. Maybe it's just my preference, but banning a Pokemon based on annoyance and personal dislike is uncanny, seeing as how Heatran and Talonflame are also everywhere and very much annoying. Greninja doesn't deserve a bann as much as Talonflame, imo. Or at least a bann for Gale Wings.

I also second Starmie as your best option. Starmie or Tentacruel, tbh. SubSpikes is a monster.

First off, thanks for the second opinion. That settles it for me :D. Secondly, Talonflame is checked a hell of a lot easier in the tier due to typing alone - Gale Wings doesn't really help much against Tyranitar, Heatran, Rotom- Wash and Landorus- Therian (it's 4 biggest checks/counters). Greninja hasn't got a definitive typing - it changes due to Protean. That's not a problem - look at XY and you'll see it was stopped pretty well by Fairy types, some Steel types and obviously the faster revenge killers. Now it gets Gunk Shot and Low Kick, so goodbye Fairy and Steel types. Now Tentacruel, Chansey, Porygon2 and maybe Empoleon are its only counters (and they're all 3HKOed by the right coverage move at least - either the rarely-used Extrasensory or Low Kick) and of course the revenge killers. Nothing switches into it. Talonflame can be switched into at least. Hence I'm pro ban. It's not that it's annoying, it's that it 2HKOes nearly everything and outspeeds most of the metagame without a boost, meaning offensive teams are ****ed since they lack switch-ins. Teambuilding is then centered around beating Greninja, who thanks to Protean can adapt to the metagame. Most people running Rotom- Wash to beat it? Then Greninja will start to run HP Grass, which it can pull off decently, etc. Anyway, nice battle too.

Romeo32

Talonflame is not as broken as you claim. Talonflame actually has plenty of counters that completely stop it in its tracks and are actually viable in OU (Heatran, Tyranitar, Rotom-W), not to mention T-Flame's crippling Stealth Rock weakness and reliance on recoil moves causing him to be worn down very quickly. A counter can switch in on any hit, eat it up and KO back, and nothing can do this to Greninja provided that it is carrying the right moves. The problem with Greninja is that now that it has Gunk Shot and Low Kick it can beat all of its checks from XY, so you can never switch anything in safely. And good luck getting your faster Pokemon or your scarfer in without sacking something or taking a huge hit from Greninja. I think both sides have valid points and arguments, but personally I'm gonna vote to ban it.

Last edited:

LynxForte

The Phoenix
Talonflame is not as broken as you claim. Talonflame actually has plenty of counters that completely stop it in its tracks and are actually viable in OU (Heatran, Tyranitar, Rotom-W), not to mention T-Flame's crippling Stealth Rock weakness and reliance on recoil moves causing him to be worn down very quickly. A counter can switch in on any hit, eat it up and KO back, and nothing can do this to Greninja provided that it is carrying the right moves. The problem with Greninja is that now that it has Gunk Shot and Low Kick it can beat all of its checks from XY, so you can never switch anything in safely. And good luck getting your faster Pokemon or your scarfer in without sacking something or taking a huge hit from Greninja. I think both sides have valid points and arguments, but personally I'm gonna vote to ban it.

A friend and I were having this conversation. He's pro ban and I'm not. His reasoning for banning it would be similar to why they banned M-Lucario and that's because you now have the potential of seeing a physical, special or mixed (mixed being more likely). His possible set was Ice Beam/Hydro Pump/Low Kick/Gunk Shot. After he brought up the comparison to M-Lucario and gave that set, I said I see where the fear comes in. I also told him the main difference between M-Lucario and Greninja is priority. M-Lucario didn't fear a Mach Punch or a choice scarf threat because it ran BP and/or ES. Greninja's priority moves and Water Shuriken and Shadow Sneak, 2 moves that it doesn't want to run. I also told him of the lack of Psychic coverage with the set it runs. Latios (imo) is now a check if it is scarfed and even if it isn't it has the potential to make you think that it is and force a switch. I caught myself saying that Latios would mainly become scarfed, but I also think that everything would fix itself, meaning Lati becomes scarfed, Greninja starts running Dark Pulse again meaning it would have to give up a coverage move blah blah blah. We talked about it for a while and both came to the conclusion that we are highly unsure if it deserves a ban mainly because of priority and its lack of wanting to use it because of the power of those moves.

My main thought on it though is that there is a good chance that it could be banned right now, but I think it would be unbanned some months later.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
I've finished my OU team, currently testing it on the ladder now where it seems to be doing OK. Not too great but that's due to inexperience with some of the team, I'll get better.

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223

True enough, though most teams are having Spinners and Defoggers to effectively support its weaknesses to make it optimally effective

Romeo32

True enough, though most teams are having Spinners and Defoggers to effectively support its weaknesses to make it optimally effective
You're not always guaranteed to get off a Spin or Defog, especially if the opponent is applying a lot of offensive pressure, but even so that only addresses one of Talonflame's shortcomings, and definitely doesn't justify a ban.

Snivy Trainer finished a team? What year is it?

Mega Typhlosion

OMG... Snivy... finished... a team? :O
I'll now ride my unicorn and go on a date with an alien :p

I've finding a lot of BS opponents but I'm on the low these days. My good record is now only average and I doubt I'll ever reach the 1600s. I'm having trouble with overprediction and bad decisions at crucial times... but the only way of improving that is by battling so I'm on the right track I guess.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
I'm switching Starmie for a support Latias; it's not doing anything on my team, meanwhile Mega Altaria struggles to set-up when it's been weakened quite a bit by switching in a lot. Therefore having Healing Wish would be most beneficial. Defog is Defog and I still get the Psychic STAB, although I also have spammable Dragon STAB too :p.

I've gotten my Pandaren Rogue to Level 12, and have collected a decent bit of ore doing so. I will choose my faction soon, do a PvP match and then probably send my gold and stuff across before restarting and making a new character. What class that is I haven't officially decided, but Monk is looking like my go-to option since by the time I get to Warlords of Draenor content they'll probably be buffed somewhat. If not other options are Hunter, Mage and Paladin (yeah, Ret Paladin - would look sweet atop my new Iron Skyreaver).

Dragon monotype is perhaps the best monotype there can be due to the extreme power of STAB Outrage or Draco Meteor... except when the opponent has a Mega Altaria: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oususpecttest-197580321

Last edited:

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
Aah, you're fitting in here great already. Yeah, I know. Works pretty well - here's a replay: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oususpecttest-197554819

Nice battle! That said, I did notice that you have no way of possibly handling Mega-Beedrill once it's set up on your team. It gains momentum quite easily and can deal with Heatran using Drill Run and or U-turn to gain the advantage of a switch. Protect variants in specific are an issue for your team, since they do outspeed +1 DD Altaria and hit her hard with boosted Poison Jab for the KO. Yes, Landorus-T is your check to them, however they gain the advantage through the before mentioned U-Turn and can come in with a check and/or counter to him.

Giving Bisharp LO may help, as I noticed the lack of power cost you Bisharp when using Sucker Punch against a Magneton, since it can gain your set more power and help you score more KOs. Scarfed Landorus-T could also help since it can come in against more of your threats to either scare-switch them out or revenge them, thus gaining you more momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.