• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hoenn Triangle

Are you Entering the NU Tourney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fossildude747

Fossil Fighters Fan!
Yeah, I really need to change the team, anymore advice from people? I'll probably change it to what you said later fire hero.

Gengar (M) @ Payapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Swagger
- Giga Drain
- Hypnosis
- Dream Eater

Gengar would benefit from at least one STAB move, such as Shadow Ball or Sludge Bomb. Failing that, give it Dazzling Gleam so that it hits both opponents and can deal with threats like Salamence, Garchomp, and Tyranitar. Swagger is a little risky because as Fire Hero said, the top threats are physical, so Confuse Ray will probably do better. Also, invest the 4 EVs into one of its defenses. You'll get an extra switch in if Stealth Rocks are up.

Fossildude747

Fossil Fighters Fan!
Gengar would benefit from at least one STAB move, such as Shadow Ball or Sludge Bomb. Failing that, give it Dazzling Gleam so that it hits both opponents and can deal with threats like Salamence, Garchomp, and Tyranitar. Swagger is a little risky because as Fire Hero said, the top threats are physical, so Confuse Ray will probably do better. Also, invest the 4 EVs into one of its defenses. You'll get an extra switch in if Stealth Rocks are up.

Well, first of all, I don't think you guys understand why I have swagger. My Smeargle has an ability that makes it immune to confusion, so I use swagger on my smeargle to increase it's atk, just thought it's something I'd try.

To be honest though, I should really start from scratch again, my team sucks.

Well, first of all, I don't think you guys understand why I have swagger. My Smeargle has an ability that makes it immune to confusion, so I use swagger on my smeargle to increase it's atk, just thought it's something I'd try.

If that's the case you really ought to give it a decent STAB physical attack move on it instead of Sketch, otherwise you can't make use of it after the first turn in unless you Sketch something really good. Which is completely situational.

Romeo32

If you want to do the Swagger + Own Tempo combo Smeargle is literally the worst choice you could make. If you really want to use that strategy use Purugly or Licklickly or literally any other Pokemon with Own Tempo.

Fossildude747

Fossil Fighters Fan!
If that's the case you really ought to give it a decent STAB physical attack move on it instead of Sketch, otherwise you can't make use of it after the first turn in unless you Sketch something really good. Which is completely situational.

He doesn't have any good special or physical moves :/ I should really restart, new pokemon to base it around and everything. Any suggestions? Preferably a mega from ORAS, I wanna get some experience with using them for when I build teams like this in ORAS.

Mega Typhlosion

I can't believe I'm saying this but you should take a look at the smogon website. For all the random bans and limitations their metagame has, their analyses are often spot on and are a great basis for starters. They usually don't have sets for doubles but you can often get an idea about how to work with a Pokemon so that you can adapt for doubles afterwards.

There are several clear mistakes in your sets and I think smogon can help you a lot while picking up a good initial moveset.

Own Tempo + Smeargle is a bad combination as Smeargle is a terrible Pokemon. There are a lot of other Pokemon that can do that better. You can even give a Persim Berry to Garchomp and use the same combo... Not to mention that there are also a dozen of better users of Swagger.

Gengar's moveset doesn't make much sense as well. Giga Drain hits nothing worth noticing and Hypnosis+Dream Eater is very unreliable. Not only Hypnosis misses 40% of the time, but often your opponent switches out the sleeping Pokemon making you miss D. Eater...

Ninja Eevee

Haunters Gonna Haunt
For this THT League, are we going to go into each season/series (whatever we call it) with the same team, or can it change between battles

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
Well I'd like to say I've done something constructive, but I haven't. Got a bunch of ideas in my head for ORAS OU - I'm actually thinking about not building around a particular Mega Evolution and just building a bulky-offensive team. The chances of adding a Mega Evolution to the team from there is fairly high. I'm not set on this mind you, but I have ideas about. I'd like to plan my novel some more, since I've just had a brand new idea which I might be able to take further (found out a friend of mine has the same career in mind, how coincidental), and of course World of Warcraft (Warlock's Level 28, nearly Level 29!).

LynxForte

The Phoenix
I would like to donate a Pokémon!

Username: LynxForte
Timezone & Availability to trade: EST (GMT -5) anytime today except between 1-4 pm
Pokémon: Larvesta
Shiny (Y/N): N
Nature: Timid
Level: 1
Ability: Flame Body
IVs: 31/X/31/31/31/31
Moves: Ember, String Shot, Morning Sun

Timezone & Availability to trade:
Pokémon: Scyther
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
IVs: 31/31/31/X/31/31
Moves: Vacuum Wave, Quick Attack, Leer

Pokémon: Bagon
Ability: Rock Head
Moves: Thrash, Dragon Dance. Dragon Pulse. Hydro Pump

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to trade!

I offer:

Pokémon: Pawniard (Protoman)
Nature: Jolly
Level: 15
Ability: Defiant
Moves: Scratch, Leer, Furry Cutter, Torment

I'd like to get:

Pokémon: Murkrow
Nature: Bold
Ability: Prankster
Moves: Astonish, Wing Attack, Perish Song, Feather Dance

Mega Typhlosion

I would like to donate a Pokémon!

Timezone & Availability to trade: EST (GMT -5) anytime today except between 1-4 pm
Pokémon: Larvesta
Ability: Flame Body
Moves: Ember, String Shot, Morning Sun

Pokémon: Scyther
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
Moves: Vacuum Wave, Quick Attack, Leer

Pokémon: Bagon
Ability: Rock Head
Moves: Thrash, Dragon Dance. Dragon Pulse. Hydro Pump

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to trade!

I offer:

Pokémon: Pawniard (Protoman)
Nature: Jolly
Level: 15
Ability: Defiant
Moves: Scratch, Leer, Furry Cutter, Torment

I'd like to get:

Pokémon: Murkrow
Nature: Bold
Ability: Prankster
Moves: Astonish, Wing Attack, Perish Song, Feather Dance

Donations and trade accepted. I'll add you and we can trade now ;)

EDIT: You get 18 SP.

Last edited:

Fossildude747

Fossil Fighters Fan!
I can't believe I'm saying this but you should take a look at the smogon website. For all the random bans and limitations their metagame has, their analyses are often spot on and are a great basis for starters. They usually don't have sets for doubles but you can often get an idea about how to work with a Pokemon so that you can adapt for doubles afterwards.

There are several clear mistakes in your sets and I think smogon can help you a lot while picking up a good initial moveset.

Own Tempo + Smeargle is a bad combination as Smeargle is a terrible Pokemon. There are a lot of other Pokemon that can do that better. You can even give a Persim Berry to Garchomp and use the same combo... Not to mention that there are also a dozen of better users of Swagger.

Gengar's moveset doesn't make much sense as well. Giga Drain hits nothing worth noticing and Hypnosis+Dream Eater is very unreliable. Not only Hypnosis misses 40% of the time, but often your opponent switches out the sleeping Pokemon making you miss D. Eater...

Yeah, really thinking I should restart the whole team and look on smogon, even if its not for doubles I can learn the pokemon's strengths and weaknesses so I can use them well.

Gonna start from scratch and think of my team.

Romeo32

Well I'd like to say I've done something constructive, but I haven't. Got a bunch of ideas in my head for ORAS OU - I'm actually thinking about not building around a particular Mega Evolution and just building a bulky-offensive team. The chances of adding a Mega Evolution to the team from there is fairly high. I'm not set on this mind you, but I have ideas about. I'd like to plan my novel some more, since I've just had a brand new idea which I might be able to take further (found out a friend of mine has the same career in mind, how coincidental), and of course World of Warcraft (Warlock's Level 28, nearly Level 29!).
I feel like you give up on your team ideas way too easily/often. I'd suggest just going on Showdown, picking one or two Pokemon that you want to use and then filling in your team with guys that cover each others weaknesses. You don't have to sit and think about it for hours, as long as you put some thought into it you'll usually come up with at least a semi-decent team. Then go on the ladder and have a couple of battles with it. If you notice a certain threat or type beats you every time then adapt your team so that you can handle it. This is pretty much how I make all of my teams and I feel like it might help you with your indecisiveness.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty

Fire Hero's recommending Smogon? Is he ill or something? Damn, never seen him do that before haha. I do agree with him though; Smogon exists to offer competitive battling experience and assistance, and the analyses are second to none. Definitely worth at least taking a look. I do it anyway.

On the topic (sort of) I can't decide what to build my team around. I want a bulky offensive team definitely, and they usually are built around a bulky set-up sweeper with the intent to weaken threats for it to break through. My Mega of choice is Mega Altaria, due to typing, Pixilate providing offensive presence and wonderful natural bulk alongside Dragon Dance, Roost and Refresh. Pixilate boosted Returns will be doing a ton to everything not a Steel or Poison type, but they are issues for it. Best Steel type counter? Magnezone, Heatran alongside other Fire or Ground types usually works. Every Steel type in OU except Heatran is weak to Fire, every one except Ferrothorn, Scizor and Skarmory is weak to Ground and every one except Skarmory and Scizor is weak to Fighting.

I'm bored of my Warlock - the mobility (or lack of) is killing me, and the coolness factor has gone somewhat. I don't feel it anymore - the good thing about this is that it knocks it off my options list. One less thing to consider. My main choices are Mage and Hunter. Monk, Rogue, Druid and Paladin are lesser options, but still there. I'm debating whether to go back to Alliance for some classes (Mage, Hunter, Rogue, perhaps Monk) but I don't know, I love the Horde :p.

Mega Typhlosion

Fire Hero's recommending Smogon? Is he ill or something? Damn, never seen him do that before haha. I do agree with him though; Smogon exists to offer competitive battling experience and assistance, and the analyses are second to none. Definitely worth at least taking a look. I do it anyway.

LOL I never said I don't USE smogon... I just don't BATTLE by their rules eheh
I don't like their rules and their metagames, but their job with the movesets and the analyses is very useful, especially if you're using a Pokémon for the first time and you don't know exactly what it can do or what are its counters. I won't recommend sticking by smogon rules, just take a look at their articles ;)

I feel like you give up on your team ideas way too easily/often.

That's the definition of "snivy trainer" in most dictionaries lol

Last edited:

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
LOL I never said I don't USE smogon... I just don't BATTLE by their rules eheh
I don't like their rules and their metagames, but their job with the movesets and the analyses is very useful, especially if you're using a Pokémon for the first time and you don't know exactly what it can do or what are its counters. I won't recommend sticking by smogon rules, just take a look at their articles ;)

Fair enough.

That's the definition of "snivy trainer" in most dictionaries lol

I'm in the dictionary? Awesome. I do try and finish teams you know, but I either get bored or hit a roadblock I don't like, so I quit and do something else. That and I'm indecisive. But here's to hoping that this Mega Altaria bulky offensive team works well I doubt it, but you never know.

Blue Hue (Altaria) @ Altarite
Ability: Cloud Nine --> Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 136 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def/-SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Roost
- Earthquake / Substitute / Refresh

Magnetitan (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SAtk / 84 Spe
Modest Nature (+SAtk/-Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power {Fire}

Magnezone might become a Scarf set, not 100% sure at the moment though. Regardless, Excadrill and Heatran are the only 2 Steel types which cause Magnezone problems and so need to be removed. Talonflame is also a problem since it can set up on Altaria and smashes Magnezone (hence I'm considering Choice Scarf). Oh look, all 3 are weak to Water - time to find a bulky Water type. Slowbro, Rotom- Wash, Gyarados, etc. are all decent options, Slowbro being my primary option since it actually isn't weak to Mold Breaker Excadrill or Talonflame (like Rotom- Wash or Gyarados).

My Warlock is soon to be deleted from my game, leaving me with an empty space to call my main. What class do I replace it with? I like mobility and survivability. I require a class to do consistent damage with a lot of on-demand burst when required. That's basically it (the basics). Only ranged DPS to do this is Hunters, as all casters have a lack of mobility or survivability. In terms of melee I have many options - Feral Druids have a ton of heals and lots of damage, Monks apparently do have burst (not that I've seen it), Warriors have quite a bit except survivability for me, Death Knights aren't really mobile and Rogues... I have a soft spot for Rogues, but survivability outside of stealth is just bad. There're pros and cons for everything; I'm kind of bored with the races of World of Warcraft (too much restarting!) so I don't know what I want to play anymore - there's no link.

Last edited:

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Username: Noheart
PS/PO name: Noheart
3DS Friend Code: N/A (hopefully will be able to obtain a 3ds within the next couple of months, depending on finances.)
Desired Division: Land
Favorite Pokemon: Dragonite
Battle experience and favorite tier: I've been playing Pokémon for about 15 years (since I was 4 years old). Competitively I've played since the advent of D/P and was a veteran member of the old clan The Storm Kings. I have a very accurate understanding of battle mechanics; although I am just now reintroducing myself into the metagame since X/Y's release, so I may be a bit rusty. Also, my desktop seems to have an issue with running PO so my only option of battling is on Showdown. I've mainly only ever played in OU.
Referrer: Myself
Time zone (GMT+/-): GMT +5
About you: It has indeed been an incredibly long time since I have browsed these forums regularly. I used to be a frequent visitor under the name of "Piekid11", and was a very active participator in the old Serebii clans of Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. I have so many fond memories of this place growing up. I lived in a dangerous area and was very anti-social because of it; this place became a haven where I could make friends who also had the same interests involving gaming as me. The advent of OR/AS and a new peaked interest in the competitive metagame of Pokémon has rekindled my desire to be a part of this awesome and friendly community once again.

My name is Matthias. I'm a soon to be 19 year old American. My hobbies include writing, singing, avid video game playing, reading, hiking (when it isn't cold), jujitsu, injecting marijuanas, and socializing (I love hookah lounges!!!). To label myself even further; I am agnostic, homosexual, libertarian, and rad as hell. My interests involve oceanography, journalism, and politics (as well as international relations/current events).

I'm addicted to coffee and spaghetti (though not at the same time. Ew.)

So... yeah. That's me. Hope I can be a part of you guys and make some new pals ^_^

Also, Grovyle.

snivy trainer

Driving myself batty
Username: Noheart
PS/PO name: Noheart
3DS Friend Code: N/A (hopefully will be able to obtain a 3ds within the next couple of months, depending on finances.)
Desired Division: Land
Favorite Pokemon: Dragonite
Battle experience and favorite tier: I've been playing Pokémon for about 15 years (since I was 4 years old). Competitively I've played since the advent of D/P and was a veteran member of the old clan The Storm Kings. I have a very accurate understanding of battle mechanics; although I am just now reintroducing myself into the metagame since X/Y's release, so I may be a bit rusty. Also, my desktop seems to have an issue with running PO so my only option of battling is on Showdown. I've mainly only ever played in OU.
Referrer: Myself
Time zone (GMT+/-): GMT +5
About you: It has indeed been an incredibly long time since I have browsed these forums regularly. I used to be a frequent visitor under the name of "Piekid11", and was a very active participator in the old Serebii clans of Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. I have so many fond memories of this place growing up. I lived in a dangerous area and was very anti-social because of it; this place became a haven where I could make friends who also had the same interests involving gaming as me. The advent of OR/AS and a new peaked interest in the competitive metagame of Pokémon has rekindled my desire to be a part of this awesome and friendly community once again.

My name is Matthias. I'm a soon to be 19 year old American. My hobbies include writing, singing, avid video game playing, reading, hiking (when it isn't cold), jujitsu, injecting marijuanas, and socializing (I love hookah lounges!!!). To label myself even further; I am agnostic, homosexual, libertarian, and rad as hell. My interests involve oceanography, journalism, and politics (as well as international relations/current events).

I'm addicted to coffee and spaghetti (though not at the same time. Ew.)

So... yeah. That's me. Hope I can be a part of you guys and make some new pals ^_^

Also, Grovyle.

Accepted, welcome to the guild. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def/-Atk)
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam

This is the third member of my team. Talonflame is probably going to be my fourth member since it checks Bisharp, Mega Venusaur/Amoonguss, Mega Sableye and means Pokemon like Mega Beedrill, Greninja or Keldeo won't be wrecking my team too easily. But we'll see for now.

I'm having an indecisive moment again - too many ideas for my novel and I cannot decide on a race/class for World of Warcraft. Ugh.

Spacial

procrastination
Welcome Noheart! Land Sector is the best to join, good to have you :p

I've got a Swampert which I bred on X before the details of its mega were announced and Pokebanked to OR, can anybody help me adjust it to suit its mega evolution more, or should I leave it as it is?

Liek. (Swampert) @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent -> Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature (+Atk/-Sp.A)
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Avalanche

LynxForte

The Phoenix
Welcome Noheart! Land Sector is the best to join, good to have you :p

I've got a Swampert which I bred on X before the details of its mega were announced and Pokebanked to OR, can anybody help me adjust it to suit its mega evolution more, or should I leave it as it is?

Liek. (Swampert) Swampertite
Ability: Torrent -> Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature (+Atk/-Sp.A)
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Avalanche

- Waterfall
- EQ
- Ice Punch
- Rain Dance

With the EV spread you have, you may as well make use of its raw power. Most will predict the rain dance, but they would be crazy to bring something like Sceptile in with the threat of an Ice Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.