• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Homework Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
An idea inspired by the "Student Lounge Thread," I have decided to go an make a "Homework Help Thread," for when your brains need the extra assistance with what school gives you. Need help with that calculus equation? Or need help with your algebra work? Here is the place to ask. Now, there are some rules:

The rules:
~ Don't just give away the answer to a problem, assist and give the person some advice in that particular area.
~ If you're giving an example problem, don't be evil and give a super long one that takes up half the page. Start small.
~ Talk of anything outside of schoolwork but within school walls should be placed in the Student Lounge Thread.

Things to note:
~ The age group of Serebii is large enough that you shouldn't have much trouble finding help from someone that is above your level/age.
~ Try your best to answer any question that has not been answered yet. But don't give an answer along the lines of, "I don't know, the OP told me I was supposed to answer." If you honestly can't answer, don't say anything.
~ All subjects are available for discussion. Keep in mind that this is a forum available to children also, so anything related to your Health class should be kept away from this place.

Yep, that's pretty much it. Stay within the boundaries of those rules and you should be safe.

Have fun learning from others!

Last edited:

sonic507

Come at me Flower!
Hey guys, I do 2 by 2 digit multiplycation in class. I do everything correctly, I check my multiplycation, and I double check, but I still get it wrong 50% of the time. you tink I mikght be doing anything wrong?

Qmaz246

Disney Trainer
Uhh, lets see. Are you remembering to put a 0 before the second part of the multiplication probleM?
Ex:
x12
------
+120
------

frogofdoom555

(>:O) FFFFFFUUUUUU
Let's do something like this. You are bound to see your problem.

Example:

X12
___

First we do the right.

X12
___

We multiplied 2 by 56 which gtave us 102. Key: ()= gone
Next step!

(1)
X1(2)
____
+560
____

We crossed out the 2 and the borrowed 1, then put a 0.
Then we multiplied 1 by 56. That gave 560 with the added 0.

We added 102 and 560 which gave us 662!

See if you can find your mistake.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
I don't feel inclined to manipulate the keyboard to write multiplication problems, so I'll just give the procedures:

1. Start with the right digit and write it out as if it's a normal single-digit multiplication problem.
2. Start on the next part by putting a zero below what you have so far (this is important)
3. Multiply the left digit as if it were a single-digit problem, placing your answer to the left of the zero
4. Add your two products together

And that's your answer. You can do it in your head once you get better.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I am too pretty to do math.
I am suffering with english homework, as my contents suck.
Oh well, at least my english is good

funrush

Elite Beat Agent
Hey guys, I do 2 by 2 digit multiplycation in class. I do everything correctly, I check my multiplycation, and I double check, but I still get it wrong 50% of the time. you tink I mikght be doing anything wrong?
I will also assume that the 0 is your problem.

I'll use 56 times 14 as an example. Look at picture one. (I apologize for my writing looking sloppy, I suck at writing with the comp.)
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p385/spitman56/math1.png
Now, do you see how I multiplied the four, right? Well, before you multiply with the one, you need to put a zero under the 4 in 224, like pictured.

Picture 2: http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p385/spitman56/math2.png
Now, you multiply the 1 to the 56 like you usually would. And you can now see the second number is 560.

Picture 3: http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p385/spitman56/math3.png
All you need to do now is to add the two numbers up, equaling 784, and that's your answer. Questions?

Last edited:

sonic507

Come at me Flower!
Thanks guys, I see what the problem is= I STINK AT SINGLE DIJIT MULTIPLYCATION! (lol jk) Its the 0 I alweys trip on. Anyone need help with science or English?

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Thanks guys, I see what the problem is= I STINK AT SINGLE DIJIT MULTIPLYCATION! (lol jk) Its the 0 I alweys trip on. Anyone need help with science or English?

Don't worry, you'll memorize multiplication problems once you do it enough. And since you mention it, I'm still not 100% sure on how to tell when a covalent molecule is polar or nonpolar. I was told that it had to do with how symmetrical the molecule is in terms of structure. Is there any more exact way of telling?

sonic507

Come at me Flower!
Polar is like relating to the polarity of a magnet or the polar ice caps. As far as im concerned, the only thing I can think of is= Mass, Contents, wether or not its magnetinc, and a few other ways I cant think of. I found a very neat website that lets you watch educational videos call www.brainpop.com . It works 7:00 am to 5:25 pafific time. the username and password are hsdpop- exact same thing.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Polar is like relating to the polarity of a magnet or the polar ice caps. As far as im concerned, the only thing I can think of is= Mass, Contents, wether or not its magnetinc, and a few other ways I cant think of. I found a very neat website that lets you watch educational videos call www.brainpop.com . It works 7:00 am to 5:25 pafific time. the username and password are hsdpop- exact same thing.

I was sort of asking about how to tell when a molecule is polar or not, but thanks anyway. And I've known about Brainpop for a while. It's great for learning new stuff, but it's far inferior to learning stuff in school.

Don't worry, you'll memorize multiplication problems once you do it enough. And since you mention it, I'm still not 100% sure on how to tell when a covalent molecule is polar or nonpolar. I was told that it had to do with how symmetrical the molecule is in terms of structure. Is there any more exact way of telling?

A Nonpolar covalent bond is when the difference of the atoms' electronegativity is ~0. It's polar covalent when the difference is ~0.1 to 1.6.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
A Nonpolar covalent bond is when the difference of the atoms' electronegativity is ~0. It's polar covalent when the difference is ~0.1 to 1.6.

What if you don't have an electronegativity chart on hand? Or what if there are more than two atoms?

I was told to look at the symmetry of the molecule. For example, methane (CH4) is four hydrogens around a single carbon, so it's very symmetric and therefore nonpolar, but methanol (CH3OH) has a hydroxyl group replacing one of the hydrogens, so it's asymmetrical and polar. I just wanted to know if there was an easier way to tell, in case it's hard to tell the symmetry of a molecule based on its formula.

yeminied

A molecule is polar when:

1. It has polar bonds
2. The bonds are arranged assymetrically around the central atom

To have polar bonds there needs to be a significant difference in electronegativity. My teacher says that, when in an assessment, if the two atoms are the same or are C-H then they won't have polar bonds, if not then thy will have polar bonds.

To understand the second step it is best to draw a Lewis Structure. Look for how many areas of negative charge there are around the central atom and how many bonds to other atoms there are.

Let's look at NH3

N has three hydrogens around it but there are not enough electrons for N to have a full outer electron shell. There are two leftover electrons so they go onto the N as well. From there you can seen there are four areas of negative charge around the central atom, N, but only three are bonding to another atom. This means that when drawn in 3D it will create a trigonal pyramid shape. The slight postive charges of the three hydrogens will not cancel each other out. Therefore NH3 has a small dipole. The presence of an overall dipole means that NH3 is polar.

In general:

Linear - non polar
Bent - polar
Trigonal Planar - non polar
Trigonal Pyramid - polar
Tetrahedral - non polar

Status
Not open for further replies.