• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The How I Met Your Mother thread

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
Oh my god, Robin looking like Lara Croft. THAT's hot.

yeah i thought that was awesome. i can't believe that "the guy robin likes" was on a date with you-know-who (whew! no.spoilers) I'm truly unconvinced by it

charizardfan

Question - do we need the spoiler tags? The episode aired already, and we can probably assume that most people who are going to be posting in this thread have had the chance to see it. Besides, nothing happens that really requires them.

Last Monday's episode was good, but I honestly enjoyed the Ted/Lily/Marshall subplot more than the main one. This is where HIMYM's storytelling methods betray it a bit. We know what the end result is going to be, thanks to the S7 finale and the S8 premiere, so a lot of the stuff in between just feels like padding done just to waste time. I get that it's necessary, but it's still a "when are they going to get to the fireworks factory!?" thing for me. Still amusing enough, though. Robin's hatred of Partice was my favorite part of the episode.

Last edited:

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
Question - do we need the spoiler tags? The episode aired already, and we can probably assume that most people who are going to be posting in this thread have had the chance to see it. Besides, nothing happens that really requires them.

well, according to the maker of this thread: " If you haven't watched season 8 or even season 7 and don't want any spoilers you should be careful here" So he says for people to tread carefully with spoilers in this thread, but then he goes on to use multiple spoiler tags, so i figured that was the rule. And i felt bad for people who may have wanted to.participate in this thread but are afraid to because of spoilers

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
I enjoy the show overall, but really, I'm ready for us to meet Ted's eventual wife already. After eight seasons, his story arc is beginning to feel really tired. I mean, how much longer can the show really go at this point with putting him in one doomed relationship after another? That's why I hope this season is the last one.

I agree with this, although I haven't seen many of the newer episodes tbh.

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
My girlfriend got me hooked on this show around 2 years ago, we marathoned all 5 seasons (as there were at the time), watched season 6 as it came out. I must admit we really loved the show, but the TV execs messed things up for me. The entire premise of this show is based upon a mystery, so when you know the show will be back for 2-3 more seasons, then the mystery isn't nearly as appealing.
I think the show will play out in either one of two ways. The mother will be revealed in the very last episode, or you will meet the mother in the last season and they will expand on that storyline until the very last episode of the season.
We watched some of season 7 but I feel as though they have let the storylines become more and more deriative. The entire point of the show is to meet these kids' mother, but if you know the show is coming back for another season after this, then why would they introduce such a major plot point? The answer is they wouldn't.
What they should have done is left everyone in the dark as to if the show is going to come back next season, but that would never happen.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
My girlfriend got me hooked on this show around 2 years ago, we marathoned all 5 seasons (as there were at the time), watched season 6 as it came out. I must admit we really loved the show, but the TV execs messed things up for me. The entire premise of this show is based upon a mystery, so when you know the show will be back for 2-3 more seasons, then the mystery isn't nearly as appealing.
I think the show will play out in either one of two ways. The mother will be revealed in the very last episode, or you will meet the mother in the last season and they will expand on that storyline until the very last episode of the season.
We watched some of season 7 but I feel as though they have let the storylines become more and more deriative. The entire point of the show is to meet these kids' mother, but if you know the show is coming back for another season after this, then why would they introduce such a major plot point? The answer is they wouldn't.
What they should have done is left everyone in the dark as to if the show is going to come back next season, but that would never happen.

that definitely makes sense. but this might be the actual last season. so if there were any season to watch, it would be this one, unless they renew the show

TheSirPeras

The end of an era

Well, in case there are any people that don't want spoilers. Some people prefer to wait until the season airs in their country and others (not Americans like me) watch on the internet. It's just in case there are these cases

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
so i was watching EPS# 303 "Third Wheel" and i was wondering what everyone thinks:

Did Ted have a threesome?

if you're unfamiliar with the episode, or forgot it, click here for a summary

Last edited:

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
Something about Patrice and Barney's relationship, and Robin suspicious of Barney's intentions. And Marshall's mom starts dating but is worried this guy is a "shark".
My prediction: this "shark" is that Coot guy Marshall works for. idk about Patrice.

a season 9 looks grimly unlikely at this point, thanks to what Jason Segel said. And since the writers said they "have to" do a season 9 with ALL of the cast, well, that's how i got to my sad conclusion. damn you, segel. there will still be movies in 2015 =/

EDIT: direct quote from a website http://www.tvfanatic.com/2012/12/how-i-met-your-mother-to-end-after-season-8/

However, of those stars, Jason Segel, is "unlikely" to return for another season, and Thomas and Bays say they "never ever" want to continue the show without all five regulars ... so that could be a problem.

Last edited:

charizardfan

I wonder if CBS were to throw enough money at them, if Thomas/Bay would go for another season regardless of whether or not Segel were to return. Just speculating here, obviously, and I'd be 100% against trying to continue if Marshall had to be written out, but it doesn't look like it'd be that hard. How I Met Your Mother, at this point, seems to have become about Barney, Robin, and Ted. And to be honest, I can't remember a point where Marshall and Lily have felt so inconsequential to the bigger picture. It feels like their story is really over, and now they're there just because they're main characters. They're married, Marshall has his dream job as an environmental lawyer, and they have a child... so what more stories do any of them still really have to tell? Every goal that they had has been met. So while HIMYM would suffer, like any sitcom where a beloved main character leaves, it's not like you couldn't make a season's worth of episodes without Marshall involved (you know, assuming Ted, Robin, and Barney would have another season's worth of stories to tell and big developments to build to, which they don't). Obviously, that's probably not going to happen, it shouldn't happen, and I definitely don't want it to, but it's not like it'd be impossible.

In any case, I still think this season should be the last one, regardless of what happens. I just don't know what there could possibly be at this point to justify a 9th season to HIMYM. This show feels so tired, and the only big plots left to conclude are Barney/Robin and Ted meeting "the mother", both of which are pretty much set up to reach their conclusion at the season finale. I know you could probably have Ted and "the mother" dating in the next season, which I think hurts the purpose of the show (which is to show Ted's growth into being the person who marries his wife), and you could probably manufacture something else for the others to do, but... no thanks.

I really enjoyed tonight's episode. Lots of funny moments with everyone hiding around Barney's apartment (absolutely loved the bit where Robin kept finding secret places for books like "the Bro Code". Is it sad that I fell for it both times?), and obsessed Robin is more entertaining than normal Robin, as is her constant hatred of Patrice (the bit with the purse got my biggest laugh of the night). And the whole running gag of everyone taking Ted's stuff was hilarious.

Last edited:

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
finally saw last week's episode. like the others, i thought it was great.

i don't think that was the end of the playbook. it's the playbook!!! the episode is called "the final.page", so there's probably a secret last page of book. maybe this Patrice thing really is a trick?

EDIT: There's still no word on whether Season 8 will be the last for "How I Met Your Mother." Despite some public negotiations, CBS has made it clear they want a Season 9 of the comedy, but there is rumored hold out amongst some of the actors. According to Deadline.com, Jason Segel does not want to return after the current season, but the decision isn't set in stone.

so the good news is cbs wants a season 9. the bad news is greedy mr. segel. if they can convince him to resign, then the show gets the new season

Last edited:

Taichi

Wow, those last two episodes of the year definitely made up for the terrible episodes of the season. The first half showed shades of classic HIMYM here and there.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
Wow, those last two episodes of the year definitely made up for the terrible episodes of the season. The first half showed shades of classic HIMYM here and there.

yeah it was really good. [spoil]it also kinda redeemed episodes 6-10, where people had said that the writers were purposely buying time by adding filler episodes of robin and barney, but it turned out that barney planned everything. the writers wanted the audience to think, "that was the BEST WAY for them to get back together!" and i think they succeeded. and ted FINALLY let robin go. talk about a lost cause! btw, when marshall was telling ted to go after robin, was anyone else thinking he doing to win his bet with lily that robin and ted would end up together?

i also like the incorporation of the building. after all, they started building it in the summer of '11, so 1.5 years is a realistic length of time. when it comes to marshall and lily, I actually think the writers are doing a good job. I mean season 6 was about them trying to get pregnant/marshall's dad dying; season 7 was about the pregnancy, and season 8 is about parenthood. imo the lullaby bit was hilarious and just cool.[/spoil]

based on what happened last episode, i guess the decision involving season 9 is next. we'll find out when barney and robin get married (2013 or 2014) soon

charizardfan

Just watched last night's two episodes.

Definitely the strongest two episodes of the season, the second half more than the first. The whole "The Robin" reveal at the end was, really, classic HIMYM to tie in a bunch of (what seemed like) filler episodes and make them actually mean something. I found it a bit too convenient, but at the very least it justifies the existence of all the past few episodes.

But now that we're done with the whole "Robin chases Barney" storyline, I hope the story starts to bring Ted back into the focus. Ted hasn't had anything to do ever since Victoria left, and has been regulated into being the third wheel. If he's going to meet "the mother" at the end of the season (which he will, since the producers have said that he'll be meeting her at the wedding), then there needs to be some good build towards that.