• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The How I Met Your Mother thread

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
That's because both Barney and Robin can do stuff without it affecting something that's already been established. With Ted unless it's the mother we already know the relationship is going to fail and that's really all Ted does.

And the Office went bad before Steve Carell left, it's just he was really the only good thing left at the end of his run.
Yeah, I personally say that it was a bad move saying that robin isn't the mother so early in the series.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
They have to show the mother at the end of the season, since that's when Barney and Robin are getting married.

Then again they promised we would meet the mother at the end of last season, and we saw how that turned out.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
Yeah, I personally say that it was a bad move saying that robin isn't the mother so early in the series.

I'm not sure if i agree. if they didn't reveal that robin isn't the mother until now, then imagine the backlash of fans everywhere. yes, they revealed in the first episode that robin isn't the mother, but they dropped hints throughout the show that her being the mother might be a possibility (e.g. the episodes "front porch" and "no pressure"). but now that they made it pretty clear that robin is not the mother, it was easier to believe and accept, and plus we all saw it coming. personally, i was rooting for robin and ted when i started watching the show, even though she kept being referred to as "aunt robin" by future ted. if future ted never made that reference, then after "the magician's code" and,learning about robin and barney's wedding, i would've been mad and shocked. but by already knowing that robin isn't the mother, i figured "it doesn't mean she can't end up with somebody else" and i was happy about it

in short, revealing robin as not the mother early on made it easier to accept that she was marrying Barney, as opposed to believing throughout the whole season that she'll end up with ted until you watched the season 7 finale and being blindsided

Last edited:

bobjr

Staff member
All of season 2 was supposed to hammer in that Ted and Robin weren't a good long term couple anyway.

Takeo

And yet they kept throughing Ted x Robin for 9 years...I honestly thought Victoria was the one.
I don't see what more would prolong meeting the Mother, pretty sure they've gone through their whole bag of tricks.

bobjr

Staff member
And yet they kept throughing Ted x Robin for 9 years...I honestly thought Victoria was the one.
I don't see what more would prolong meeting the Mother, pretty sure they've gone through their whole bag of tricks.

Because they give nothing for Ted to do, so they kept him liking Robin on as a fallout to keep him from having nothing to do.

And Victoria would have been the mother if the show got cancelled in season 1. Same for Stella during season 3.

Taichi

LMAO at Fictional Canada thinking that Robin Sparkles created Grunge. I always love an episode of almost any show that has a grunge parody or something in it. (Like this, or the Simpsons episode where Homer indirectly invented Grunge.)

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
tbh i didn't know what grunge was so i looked it up and rewatched the episode and totally got it. it was probably my least favorite robin sparkles, but i still liked it. and that song p.s. i love you is growing on me ♪you! you're beautiful!♪

but i actually liked ted's storyline better. i couldn't help myself from laughing every time that girl said "oh, this is so embarrassing" and then she would admit what creepy thing she did and would say "i couldn't stand the idea of not meeting you" "could not! stand! the idea! of not meeting me" lol i hope she's a recurring role. and i like how they brought back how marshall and lily met from "how i met everyone else" and the dopler-dahmer theory was funny

but at the end, ted said this girl was the last mistake he made before meeting the mother. does that mean he's meeting her soon?

Last edited:

charizardfan

but at the end, ted said this girl was the last mistake he made before meeting the mother. does that mean he's meeting her soon?
It's interesting, because one wouldn't expect to meet "the mother" until the last episode, or sometime within the last few episodes, of the entire show (otherwise, what's the point? "The journey is better than the destination", is the philosophy that drives the show, which probably means that we won't really be seeing much of what happens after Ted meets his wife). But the way this season is set up, he's clearly going to meet her at the wedding, which will probably happen at the end of the season. So that of course raises the question of what Season 9 will be about.

I can see a scenario where Ted meets the mother, but the audience doesn't. Maybe she gets revealed to us halfway through S9 (like Victoria, who would have been "the mother" if HIMYM wasn't renewed for a second season, was), and the initial episodes of the next season have Ted trying to meet her or something. But in any case, the show is clearly going to be done with the "Ted dates Victoria/Robin/Stella/Zoey/etc. for a while, everything goes wrong, they break up" formula after this last relationship. And I'm actually excited to see how the writers incorporate everything Ted has learned from these past experiences into what goes "right" with the mother that failed with all of them.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era

Yeah I read somewhere that the writers said that this would be Ted's last big relationship before the mother. It makes sense as well, since the marriage is coming up. I'm not sure where I saw it though :/

Mister_SGG

LMAO at Fictional Canada thinking that Robin Sparkles created Grunge. I always love an episode of almost any show that has a grunge parody or something in it. (Like this, or the Simpsons episode where Homer indirectly invented Grunge.)

I love it when this shows pokes fun at Canada. The jokes are always so flawed and off I can't help but laugh

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
there's an interesting story

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...ss-alyson-hannigan-obtains-restraining-order/

some former mental patient from New Hampshire keeps threatening alyson hannigan (lily) with rape and death and now she's getting a restraining order... i guess that makes him a dahmer

also, there's been some disapproval in the world wide web regarding lily's advice to ted in this week's episode. what does everyone think? should ted have broken up with jeanette or was lily right?

hawkeye721

なんと素敵な歌!!!!!!!!
I think it was fine advice, I mean, when was the last time ted did something stupid?

It was weird to hear the thing about meeting the mother since we are getting a 9th season, I winder how the will write it.

Also, how WILL it end in flames?

Taichi

Tonight's episode was pretty nice. It wasn't the greatest, it wasn't the worst, but it was nice. It gave a good feeling at the end.

hawkeye721

なんと素敵な歌!!!!!!!!
I didnt realy like it, I got some laughs, barneys fake entering was cool, and I'm glad to see more development on lily, but it didn't feel very...funny.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
I liked the episode. It would be cool to see the Captain more often now, and at least Lily has got something new. I am pretty disappointed with Marshall this season though. He just doesn't seem very important, like Ted/Barney/Robin anymore. Hopefully the Judge plot will be touched on this season again.

Last, damn Jason Segel (aka Marshall) looks old! Isn't he the youngest after Robin? This season really shows how Marshall has changed throughout the years, because he looks old. o_O

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
^they all look older, imo, except for robin.

i actually loved this episode: classic storytelling, aldrin justice, sandwiches, real housewives, the running gags (she won't mind, she minds; barney's museum entrance) becky and “BOATS, BOATS, BOATS!", just everything was funny

hawkeye721

なんと素敵な歌!!!!!!!!
Loved this episode, really fun

Shame to see barney's life's work go to waste, a better end would be giving it to another bro, a passing of the torch if you will