• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Hunger Games

Aegon

I've read The Hunger Games, and am reading Catching Fire at the moment. The first book was very, very enjoyable and immersing, but I'm finding Catching Fire to be somewhat slow-paced. Hopefully it'll pick up soon.

Midnight_Warrior

ITS OVER 9000
I read the first book, and it was okay. I'm definitely planning to read the other books in the series.

As for the movie, I'll be watching it with my friends on Sunday.

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
I'm excited to see this movie. My expectations aren't really high for movies based of of books and I've tried not to buy into all of the hype surrounding it these past couple of weeks. With that said, hopefully the soundtrack is good and the action scenes don't look like crap.

I acually have higer hopes for this than most film adaptation of books, because one of the writers is Suzanne Collins.

catzeye

Writer's Block
I read all three books and enjoyed them immensely. I am definitely seeing this movie. Everyone in my AP English Class wants to see this.

I started reading the first book (I am up to Page 250 now). It is a fast and easy read. So far, I find the book very enjoyable. The plot is great, I like a lot of the characters, The Hunger Games themselves are very exciting. Just getting through Katniss' head and her process of what she needs to do to survive was written very well. Now, I am not a huge reader, I am more of a writer so I don't know how Hunger Games compares to a lot of other books. I would recommend it. You're obviously always gonna fall into a trap watching the movie and that trap is they can't fit all the scenes in the books into a 142 minute movie. We can't get inside Katniss' head. Many things are taken out. In fact, the only time I hear people say the movie is better than the books is with the LOTR movies. People that walk into the movies hoping it would be exactly like the book will be disappointed. Also, when you're reading the book, it is more of a personal experience. You feel like Katniss is talking striaght to the reader and telling them about her experience. In the movie, the director Gary Ross basically tells you how things look, how people talk so it leaves very little room for imagination which is a huge reason why people like books better than their movie adaptations.

Another thing I really like about the book is that we do get a strong female lead. Many female characters nowadays and in the past as well are mostly used as either eye candy or love interests for the male heroes which I find extremely disappointing. Sure, you have your female heroines like Wonder Woman, Katniss, Dawn from Pokemon, Samus but it is very few. Usually, male charatcer dominate the screen time these days. Katniss is obviously very strong, very well trained, very brave, she means well for her family. I really like her. Peeta is a pretty innoncent character as well from what I read so far. Sure, there is a strategy to why he did the whole love story with Katniss but he is the type that seems to put others above himself. He is not as skilled as Katniss but he is very likeable. The parts in the book where Katniss is suspicious of Peeta is really well done. And of course, the whole idea of young kids killing each other for the entertainment of The Capitol is just shocking and intense. Imagine if Survivor ever turned into a show where people have to kill each other. I am not done with the book yet so once I finish that, I'll see the movie. I think if I had seen the movie first, I would enjoy it more because I know that now that I read the book before the movie, comparisons will be inevitable. But the reviews are strong and I can't wait to see it. It's one of my most anticipated movies of the year for sure.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
BAHAHAHAHAHAH! Next Twilight, wow. Two things could no be more different.

I can't believe some people actually think The Hunger Games was anything close to Twilight, even a magazine I read TV Week said something about it being the next Twilight. Only there's no vampires, werewolves or whatever, and the only romance in the first film is Peeta with a crush and Katniss pretending to be in love with him so she could survive. It's insane.

Anyways I agree what someone said about the books, the thing about that is that we could hear Katniss's thoughts and emotions, we knew what she was thinking and why, see people who just watched the movie might see a "real" romance (If they missed the whole Haymitch saying that faking a star cross lover story would increase their survival) but we know what she thought in the book. Although there are still some things missing that shouldn't have been, her Dad wasn't mentioned as much and the Avox girl wasn't shown at all.

MegaSerperior

<--- My life
I've read all of the books and I loved them!!!! I got super excited when I found out they were making a movie. I'm seeing on Sunday with a bunch of friends!!!

Grey Wind

"The next Twilight" thing stems from Katniss' decision between Peeta and Gale, like in Twilight. This film is only for the first book but it may be made into a bigger deal in later movies, although I hope it isn't B|

SBaby

Dungeon Master
EDIT: I know this is about the movie not the books but I'm saying what I didn't like about the books and why I'm not going to see the movie.

Meh. The books weren't the best. I mean, the first one was good but from the second book until the end of the last one I was really confused about what was going on. Not to mention I think the ending of Mockingjay sucked because

Collins basically killed everyone off right at the end. Finnick, Coin, everyone died really except Katniss and Peeta. And when I read the ending, I was like, "WTF?"

These could have been really good books but in my opinion the author kind of f*cked everything up.

I agree with you there.

[spoil]Not to mention it was extremely anticlimactic. The main antagonist is killed off in the dumbest way possible. They could have had some climactic showdown. But nooooooo. Trampled to death. It was Coin all along. And then of course, she abruptly kills him. The end. The whole thing just felt like a big letdown, like she was building up to something and then she just ends it abruptly. And don't get me started on Gale. Yes, the plot gets resolved, but it just feels rushed, like she just wanted to get the book over with.

But I guess that's what we get for having an author who doesn't like to write about violent scenes, write an action novel trilogy. No offense, but if you don't like to write violent scenes, you should probably stick to novels that aren't violent. It only makes too much sense, I guess...[/spoil]

So yeah, unless they made some MAJOR changes to the movies, I probably won't go to see them.

"The next Twilight" thing stems from Katniss' decision between Peeta and Gale, like in Twilight. This film is only for the first book but it may be made into a bigger deal in later movies, although I hope it isn't B|

[spoil]For a little while, it is. But what Gale presumably does in the final book (the plot never says if he was really responsible or not, and the plot makes it seem like Katniss doesn't really care enough to pursue the truth) basically shoves her towards Peeta.[/spoil]

And I will say this. I am not entirely fond of the names of about 90 percent of the characters in this series. A couple of them are alright, like Gale and Coin. But most of them really sound weird. I could never find myself saying Katniss or Peeta with a straight face. I really can't give a good reason as to why. I know that's not entirely fair, and she was probably just trying to give the characters futuristic Star Wars-esque sounding names. But they just never sounded right to me. And unfortunately, I was never really able to get used to them.

Last edited:

ForeverFlame

I just got back, and I'm tuckered out so I'm going to be very brief. The movie was so good. The story was almost completely faithful to the book. They even added a bunch of scenes that enhanced the story. Lots of foreshadowing for the next two (three if they're idiotic and split Mockingjay in half) movies. They changed the cliffhanger at the end a bit, but it foreshadowed the next movie like crazy in a vague but unsettling way. I love the part they added with Seneca and the berries. I actually gasped at how evil/badass that was on the Capitol's part. JL was an amazing actress. She's essentially the opposite of Bella, so I really don't get the comparisons. If anything, Peeta is the "Mary Sue damsel in distress" of the story. They added a bunch of Gale, which didn't impress me because I'm not much of a fan of him. It would've been a straightforward love story, but Gale turned it into a "this is the next Twilight!" love triangle shitfest.

The fangirls in the audience were unbearable. I almost committed sudoku when the Breaking Dawn Part 2 trailer came on.

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
I agree with you there.

[spoil]Not to mention it was extremely anticlimactic. The main antagonist is killed off in the dumbest way possible. They could have had some climactic showdown. But nooooooo. Trampled to death. It was Coin all along. And then of course, she abruptly kills him. The end. The whole thing just felt like a big letdown, like she was building up to something and then she just ends it abruptly. And don't get me started on Gale. Yes, the plot gets resolved, but it just feels rushed, like she just wanted to get the book over with.

But I guess that's what we get for having an author who doesn't like to write about violent scenes, write an action novel trilogy. No offense, but if you don't like to write violent scenes, you should probably stick to novels that aren't violent. It only makes too much sense, I guess...[/spoil]

So yeah, unless they made some MAJOR changes to the movies, I probably won't go to see them.

[spoil]For a little while, it is. But what Gale presumably does in the final book (the plot never says if he was really responsible or not, and the plot makes it seem like Katniss doesn't really care enough to pursue the truth) basically shoves her towards Peeta.[/spoil]

And I will say this. I am not entirely fond of the names of about 90 percent of the characters in this series. A couple of them are alright, like Gale and Coin. But most of them really sound weird. I could never find myself saying Katniss or Peeta with a straight face. I really can't give a good reason as to why. I know that's not entirely fair, and she was probably just trying to give the characters futuristic Star Wars-esque sounding names. But they just never sounded right to me. And unfortunately, I was never really able to get used to them.

All of their names have some sort of meaning,. Peeta is variation of Peter, Katniss is a type of plant, Cinna is a character from a Shakespeare play, et cetra.

~Kari~

I've read all three books three times. I'm going to see the movie on Wednesday with my two best friends! :D I have high expectations, I'm really excited!

Katipunero

Eye in the Sky
I've read all three books and I have to say the series is pretty good. The first book was great but it lost some interest in the other two book. I'm gonna watch the movie tomorrow.

Vernikova

Champion
I acually have higer hopes for this than most film adaptation of books, because one of the writers is Suzanne Collins.

Who cares who the book was written by? There have been many great books that have made for terrible movies. Considering that that The Hunger Games isn't a great series, that really doesn't do anything for me.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
I saw the film yesterday, it was totally amazing. It removed some things from the book that kind of irked me but with time constraints and all - who can blame them? I can't wait for Catching Fire. And about the whole ~next Twilight thing~, I highly doubt it'll reach the scale of Team Peeta vs. Team Gale. The books aren't as focused on romance as Twilight is, but they might change that for the films.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
SS- Oh, well it still seems stupid, Twilight didn't come up with a triangle between a girl and two guys. This means War has two guys literally fighting over a girl, perhaps that's also the next Twilight (I should mention at this part I never saw the second saga so I don't know much about the triangle, I watched the first, found it boring and couldn't be watching any further)

Meta- Yeah I was told that later, I honestly didn't realize that and forgot it was in the second not the first (I was going to read the first book again, read it before already to make sure I knew what was in it but a friend had borrowed it).

I get the triangle, I mean in the movie it was clear Gale liked her (And in the books we didn't actually see him after Katniss went on the train, the same with Prism and others mostly because it was in Katniss's POV so we wouldn't have seen his. Even Peeta was in it less then she was). [spoil] I think it is stupid that she ended up with Peeta though instead of Gale, since she originally faked the whole thing in both books for survival, but I guess when you are fighting for survival it's going to end up working in that way. Now with Twilight it was just some random dude who happened to be a vampire and Bella instantly getting star eyed. Difference is Katniss faked it in the first book, Bella didn't and didn't even try to assault Edward for saying she had a crush on him. Yes I remember enough of the first Twilight film to know she didn't struggle and and just liked him at the start.[/spoil]

But what's ridiculous is everything is referred to as the next Twilight, it's like come on I know it's "popular" but really? Why does everything to do with romance have to be the next Twilight? When it's a vampire who somehow woos a mortal girl and then some werewolf starts liking her then we will talk. Even the whole Gale, Peeta and Katniss triangle in the movie just doesn't give me the vibe of anywhere near it.