• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Ice Queen and Glaceon (1176)

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
We all know that the best eevee evolution will be the last one.
Espeon appeared already (tho I haven't seen that episode so idk if it was good)

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
Really only major complaint is how **** the production values continue to be, everything else was decent to good.
I found it to be fine for a Journeys episode and I'm usually a big critic of JN's production values. Storyboarding and direction were strong and animation was actually decent for a non-action episode. I'd put it among the higher end of Journeys episodes visually. I don't quite see what the problem is with this one.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I don't quite see what the problem is with this one.
The theme of bullying being solved so easily and how Chloe and the rest are mostly just there to watch the plot unfold. Like Dephender mentioned from people reviewing the episode, the plot would start solving itself the moment Glaceon fainted, which wasn't caused by Chloe. It was conveniently around when the main OCs were.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Chloe and the rest are mostly just there to watch the plot unfold
It's not like Koharu's the person that acted friendly towards Regina and Glaceon, or how Ash and Go's pokemon played with Glaceon and showed it that not everyone was out to harass her trainer or anything naaaah, they just stood around and did nothing

Kungfu-Bear

(+) I like the concept of this episode about bullying and the exploration of some of the emotions felt by people with social issues, and also of course how this case has the involvement of a Pokémon and its relationship to the central character and drama; I think the direction with a more serious tone was well handled for most of the episode
(+) Also liked how staff tried something different than the usual formula of episodes starring Koharu where she is a receptive observer instead of an assertive guide like in this one. I felt like Koharu was basically using what she learned in her previous episodes
(+) Regina is easily one of the most interesting COTD so far in JN imo

(+-) Like how Goh and Ash's friendship ties to the plot of this episode kinda, Koharu even noticed that and was smiling in two occasions seeing Goh finally be friends with Ash. However I never felt that this Goh's "change" was well presented tbh
(+-) How does the school education system in the Pokémon world work exactly?
(+-) Good to see Dracovish here, although I don't exactly love this thing
(+-) Either the kids or the Pokémon have a remarkable talent in architecture lol xD

(-) Pikachu is cheerful and likes to play with the younger Pokémon sometimes, but I don't like to see him behaving just like Grookey, especially considering that JN itself directly stated that Pikachu is more mature than Eevee and little monkey
(-) How many Blizzards did it take actually for Glaceon to be "overloaded"? This may be a very particular limit issue for her/him because ice-type Pokémon have never had this problem in battles as far as I remember, where these moves are used more often. Also Glaceon had other moves that I suppose are less wearing, like Ice Beam. It doesn't bother me that much but it sounded like they just wanted to add more dramatic load and it didn't work very well for me
(-) Ash seems to be there just so the audience doesn't lose interest?
(-) Things got solved in a quite simple manner than I expected, that's actually the only big con I have with the ep

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
It's not like Koharu's the person that acted friendly towards Regina and Glaceon, or how Ash and Go's pokemon played with Glaceon and showed it that not everyone was out to harass her trainer or anything naaaah, they just stood around and did nothing
They all luckily (and somehow) went past her bodyguard, who had to be reduced to just "annoyed" than "overly protective" around them.

nuzamaki90

As a subject of passive bullying in my early/pre-teens, I can tell you that it never truly goes away. Heck, it might be why I'm anti-social and cynical a decade down the line. It sends a wrong message when things are resolved that easily, the writers may as well wave large flags with the message "WE DON'T UNDERSTAND THESE CONCEPTS".
I really gotta ask how did people expect this episode to get resolved in a better way? The bullying started because the kids teased Regina about her looking like the character in the story, but in terms of actual bullying scenarios it was an isolated incident. The bullying started and stopped in that one instance and then going forward Glaceon would try to protect Regina from any and everybody. So in total Regina created her own isolated bubble, convincing herself with a cynical outlook that the world was against her and Glaceon was her only buddy. And that’s very realistic, I can even think of a handful of friends I had in high school that were the same way.

However everything changed when Regina FINALLY got the chance to open up to some genuine people. Regina, who’s never had real friends before, finally gets real friends, and her whole perspective changes, which is also heavily realistic. In fact, you can really compare Regina to the old Koharu, who was less open and more pessimistic towards the world, but really changes when she gets the opportunity to see the world from a different angle.

I really think some of you guys should give the episode a rewatch. I think the only problem with this episode, if any, is that the whole Goh presentation felt so forced just to have an excuse to have Ash at the school too. More of that time could’ve been spent on Regina and Koharu. It was presentations for the whole class so how come Goh was the only one that did anything lol

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I'd never reward my bullies with a Frozen show and be all like "hey, I can be cool!" I'd expect my parents and the school to help me out because who's not to say those bullies do the same thing to others? And of course, I wouldn't really heal right away, especially not after years of dealing with it.

nuzamaki90

I'd never reward my bullies with a Frozen show and be all like "hey, I can be cool!" I'd expect my parents and the school to help me out because who's not to say those bullies do the same thing to others? And of course, I wouldn't really heal right away, especially not after years of dealing with it.
This is why I recommend a rewatch. Koharu’s classmates never bullied Regina, they were cautious and/or scared of her, rightfully so because they didn’t want to be attacked again.

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
And how did these kids bully her? I have a feeling you didn't watch the episode.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
This is why I recommend a rewatch. Koharu’s classmates never bullied Regina, they were cautious and/or scared of her, rightfully so because they didn’t want to be attacked again.
And how did these kids bully her?
Actually, it was rather strange, because at first her issue started from the very beginning before she started being so isolated while her Glaceon lashed out. There actually wasn't bullying at Chloe's school because everyone scared her just for being Ash-like pushy, but that's when the episode decides to solve her bullying issues by not actually addressing it properly...and they all get solved too quickly and conveniently.

Again, Regina made the students an ice background, but it looked like they thought it was awesome rather than wanting to be friends with her. The solution makes no sense because she was still bullied in another school in the past but somehow this ending solves everything in another school where the students are just too eager to get to know her? It felt like the episode tried to change the plot to break her out of her bubble rather than doing something with the bullying because it was far too late to do something about that. It should look like she's bound to repeat the same incidents, but rather the episode wants to pretend everything is okay.

Kungfu-Bear

And they wondered why I dislike CotDs or the very concept of one-time use characters, especially if they take priority...

You legit can't tell any proper story within the scope of ~20 minutes no matter how tearjerking you make it.
They still managed to make a better story about an introverted person with social difficulties in 20 minutes with Regina than they supposedly did with Goh in 80+ episodes.

Soniman

Break the Limit
This discussion is probably the most interesting JN discussion that's been had since this show started siting tbh. (Haven't seen the episode yet I'll probably do so tonight)

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
This discussion is probably the most interesting JN discussion that's been had since this show started siting tbh. (Haven't seen the episode yet I'll probably do so tonight)
Because bullying is a sensitive topic, and seeing how the anime handled it we were like "Umm no, it doesn't work that way irl sorry...".

BobbbidyBob

Koharu is just a really kind generic girl. Even her bit of sassiness which she had in the beginning of Journeys is gone.
I preferred the direction of development she had with Yamper rather than her current generic direction
This ^

I found it to be fine for a Journeys episode and I'm usually a big critic of JN's production values. Storyboarding and direction were strong and animation was actually decent for a non-action episode. I'd put it among the higher end of Journeys episodes visually. I don't quite see what the problem is with this one.
I don't recall any impressive/decent animation cuts. It was pretty much a standard Journeys " filler " affair. Honestly, my biggest problem was Regina's character design. Found it pretty unappealing.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Episode was quite good and easily one of JN's best fillers. Good display of Koharu's growth and relationship with Glaceon girl, and tackled some pretty heavy subjects of bullying, co dependence, anxiety etc. I actually don't think the ending was that abrupt since the class at Koharu's school weren't the "bullies" that tormented her and at worse they were wary of her after being frozen but quickly forgiving her after the display of good faith so I'm fine with it.