• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Ice Queen and Glaceon (1176)

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I highly doubt they would do something like that, even if marnie was here, they haven't done something like that since Xy, and I'm not sure if tomiyasu wants to involve ash in some Love (not counting comedy scenes like it happened with lana)
I said it was the worst thing they could do with her. Not the most likely or plausible thing

nuzamaki90

I feel like I’m having deja vu from back when I first watched XY. I didn’t like Clemont and thought he was a terrible choice for a companion but now he’s my favorite of Ash’s male companions. Now I feel like I’m going through the same thing with Koharu, because I really did not understand the point of her character and did not like her at all but now I’m so interested in where her story goes.

You can really see the development of Koharu in this episode. Going back to her first solo episode, she was super reserved, pessimistic, and didn’t give much attention to her classmates but here she was entertained by the presentation and was so adamant about showing Regina around and being her friend. You can even see parts of Dawn rubbing off on her as well, it’s all so well handled.

I’m glad this episode was different in that instead of being another “Eeveelution trainer helps Koharu”, it’s “Koharu helps an Eeveelution trainer” which again is showing off the fruits of her development and her evolving character. Definitely my favorite Koharu episode so far. We even saw Yamper!

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Overall, this was a cute episode. I like how Koharu got center-stage in a character-driven story. I thought the second half of the episode was pretty well done. We get to see empathy really shine through here just like in JN072. They can really do emotionally charged episodes well, and they created a compelling COTD to deliver on this.

The Frozen references were also nicely done.

There were a few things I didn't like, though. I thought Goh's presentation was kind of cringe. Of all the things that he could have talked about, he basically cranked the Ash flanderization knob to 11. Yes, it was an entertaining comedy routine, but it feels like an odd thing to start with considering this episode's theme. There is a very thin line separating friendly teasing and bullying, and it just kind of comes off weird.

That said, they could have done a lot worse here and gone overboard with "Ash worship." And I'm glad they didn't do that either.

I also agree with the criticism about the overall pacing. This seemed to neatly wrap up the bullying and the long-term effects it had on Regina in a single afternoon. Like many JN episodes, however, this would have been more powerful if it had a little room to breathe by spreading it across a few episodes. That's not unique to this episode, however, and there are many JN episodes that would feel more complete if they were spread across a few episodes. Especially since the episode's ending implies that Regina was able to grow through the adventures she had with Chloe, Ash, and Goh.

Finally, I'm not sure I agree with the view that the bullies were rewarded. I don't feel like they showed Koharu's classmates bullying Regina. Yeah, they were cold to her (no pun intended) because she was new and the incident with the Blizzard attack. But I don't feel like it reached the level they showed with kids in her previous schools. It could have definitely gone that way, though, if it wasn't for Koharu's friendship.

Overall, it was a good story showing Chloe/Koharu's development through a great character of the day.

/PS - Regina's art style kind of reminds me of Vladilena Milize from Eighty-Six.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
hey, blaziken is cute!! I won every beauty contest with him n Pokemon Ruby!
Not saying it's ugly, just masculine and far from being feminine. Something you probably won't see on a Pokegirl's team nowadays. Like if Gloria was around I guarantee she'd get Cinderace or Inteleon, not Grookey unless it stayed as is.

That's precisely why Yamper, Wooloo and Galar Ponyta were on my prediction list for the Pokegirl prior to the series starting, they looked like Pokemon they'd slap on her team. And Chloe did happen to bond with a Ponyta
As a victim of bullying, it's quite infuriating how Koharu's classmates wound up getting rewarded for harassing Regina and never had to apologize

Nice to know some thing never change
Yeah I wasn't a fan of that either
I highly doubt they would do something like that, even if marnie was here, they haven't done something like that since Xy, and I'm not sure if tomiyasu wants to involve ash in some Love (not counting comedy scenes like it happened with lana)
Ash interacted with plenty of female opponents and filler character, none of them were into him. Don't see why that'd change for Marnie given the rate they're going, she'll likely be in two episodes tops before falling into the void! They didn't even make Lillie like him when it was implied she loved the player character, which Ash filled the role of.

I don't mind girls falling for Ash though, it can have some funny moments like Ash being super dense... or just an idiot and think Anabel's a guy lol. Marnie crushing on Ash would actually be adorable, so long as they don't go overboard. Though I think I see it being another Lana situation, where Team Yell assaults Ash and/or Marnie with "Is he your boyfriend/girlfriend?!" with no actual romantic feelings and that's perfectly fine! I just want Marnie and Bede! I don't want them joining Hugh in limbo hell...

D

Deleted member 384931

An interesting episode that touches a subject that isnt talked about much: the consequences of bullying, emotionally.
I liked the episode, but I felt that it would worked better if we saw the bullying happening in other episodes, like a recurring issue. It reminds me alot of 20-minute version of the Silent Voice movie.
If I am honest what was the point of Satoshi and Gou in this one? This is JN079 again for them. 6,5/10

LazySpy

Kimty
Last edited:

BobbbidyBob

Just finished the episode. Koharu was the real star, and Glacia of course!! AND THAT FROZEN RIP OFF LOOOOL

D

Deleted member 384931

Just finished the episode. Koharu was the real star, and Glacia of course!! AND THAT FROZEN RIP OFF LOOOOL
I KNOW LOL THE WHOLE EPISODE WAS FROZEN. *Sigh* If only those kids knew who Satoshi really is. They wouldn’t laugh with him. Couldnt Gou have mentioned he was the Champ of Alola at least? He hated being there

BobbbidyBob

I KNOW LOL THE WHOLE EPISODE WAS FROZEN. *Sigh* If only those kids knew who Satoshi really is. They wouldn’t laugh with him. Couldnt Gou have mentioned he was the Champ of Alola at least? He hated being there
Koharu and Glacia were Anna, Regina was Elsa, Ash was Olaf and Goh was Sven the reindeer XDXD

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Not an essay time:
Yeah, this certainly felt like Pokemon's answer to Frozen, that aside it was an interesting episode. Of course Go would describe Ash the way he did for the sake of comedy, though if I was a teacher at that school, I'd certainly have questions about Go's attendance record. I'd say the second half of the episode was stronger as Regina learned that she wasn't strong enough to protect Glaceon who was overexerting itself to protect her from being bullied, at least at that point she told her parents about what was happening instead of hiding behind the problem as it doesn't do a person good in the long run. Can I just say, I didn't appreciate that the class didn't have to apologise to Regina for the way they were towards her prior to their freeze. One other positive, at least we got to see Arctozolt again.

D

Deleted member 384931

Not an essay time:
Yeah, this certainly felt like Pokemon's answer to Frozen, that aside it was an interesting episode. Of course Go would describe Ash the way he did for the sake of comedy, though if I was a teacher at that school, I'd certainly have questions about Go's attendance record. I'd say the second half of the episode was stronger as Regina learned that she wasn't strong enough to protect Glaceon who was overexerting itself to protect her from being bullied, at least at that point she told her parents about what was happening instead of hiding behind the problem as it doesn't do a person good in the long run. Can I just say, I didn't appreciate that the class didn't have to apologise to Regina for the way they were towards her prior to their freeze. One other positive, at least we got to see Arctozolt again.
Arctozolt= MR Ambulance
I felt it was like the was Silent voice movie. The consequences of bullying. How it affects the person.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
This was a nice episode, Chloe's episode are always top notch and this wasn't any different imo and I'm glad we got this episode even though I lamented how I wished we got a leafeon and Glaceon duo episode before this aired. Wouldn't want to trade this episode for another
Agree on the criticisms tho it would be nicer if this was a storyline spread out instead of a one time story meant to impact and elevate Chloe's character, I don't mind it that much but do agree it would have been better as an over arching story, but wasn't something they planned to do as they didn't want to give that much relevance to this particular CoTD. Ig it's a case of them shooting themselves in the foot coz by making CoTDs so good that they have in this series, it just makes it annoying that they are CoTDs and won't return while the main characters feel stale at times.
And they wondered why I dislike CotDs or the very concept of one-time use characters, especially if they take priority...

You legit can't tell any proper story within the scope of ~20 minutes no matter how tearjerking you make it.
People have already responded to this but I want to respond as well with Star Wars Visions. It wasn't even 20 min, 13 min episodes many of them and they had characters that I cared for extensively while telling a coherent proper story. My fav example is 'The Village Bride' episode, it's my fav one and I really cared for a character they didn't even reveal the backstory or details much, just how the episode played out being emotional and good.
On the same vein, I do feel like this episode and clefairys episodes were good stories but can also get behind criticisms that they were wrapped up conveniently due to the insistence on them being episodic and ending in a good happy tone.
But still, they are pretty nice episodes imo and honestly ever since it was said JN episodes would be three times more entertaining, I personally have felt it..... And I hope next week's project Mew continues the momentum considering how good the previous ones were

Also in reply to the whole pokegirl argument, I kinda agree with both sides. I do find it annoying we haven't had a proper battling girl in 3 gens but also do think people are doing revisionist history with the cute statement like @BlueSaturday and all pointed out. Pokegirls didn't exclusively have only cute mons yes but the ones that were cute and baby ones were focused on a lot as well just like current times, it's just they had other facets of personality as well which isn't present in current times....and I don't think it's a matter to scream sexism or misogyny at (Korrina and Bea exist, people) it's just what the writers wanted to go for personally and keep a shorter cast, not because they only want to conform to gender roles, that notion seems silly

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
A good post Eevee Chloe episode? That’s a surprise.

Enjoyed this episode a fair bit. Would enjoy this episode more if the pacing was better as I feel the way they ended this episode with a heavy focus on the impact of bullying was a bit too convenient (but these are 20 minute episodes so what can you do?). Also liked that it’s more on the Eeveelution trainer than Chloe. Dracovish screentime is always welcomed too. 7/10

nuzamaki90

btw I was looking at a Japanese fan review of the episode here that made some pretty legit criticism of it:
*The themes of bullying, transferring to a new school and Trainer/Pokemon codependence are rather heavy and probably would've worked better by making Regina a recurring character with a running subplot instead of having to neatly wrap everything up in 20 minutes, which felt awkwardly convenient.
*The recurring characters mostly just stand around in the background as the plot happens around them. It was Micie collapsing that led to Regina opening up, not anything Koharu or anyone else said or did, and that would've happened no matter what.
*The scene at the end with the ice playground really just came across as the other students thinking the playground was cool rather than them wanting to be friends with Regina, which isn't the best way to resolve a story about bullying.

They're good points, can't really disagree with them.
Although I do agree with some points, Id argue that they are downplaying Koharu and company’s involvement a little too haphazardly. One of the other subplots was Regina being adamant about Glaceon being her one and only friend, which is partly due to Glaceon running any and all kids away. Koharu continually trying to be there for Regina is what ultimately led to her opening up, not Glaceon damn near dying in front of her. The group begging the teacher for Regina not to be kicked out like she usually is, and Regina tuning out because she assumed that was her consequence was the part of the episode that Regina finally accepted the crew as friends because it was the first time someone besides Glaceon stuck up for her.

And that’s usually the main problem with bullying scenarios especially in schools, the victim almost never has anyone to lean on. Teachers usually victim blame and parents are more likely to turn a blind eye or even not talk it over with the victim, which is exactly what happened in this episode.

Last edited: